19: SO CLOSE BUT SO FAR AWAY

OTHER HALF

A/N: I dare you to find the keyword in this chapter that will end this fic. HAHA FIGHTIIIING!
--

Myungsoo's POV

I am so close on yelling my bodyguards to leave me alone. For goodness sake, we're at school and everyone is looking at me weirdly! I hadn't seen Sungyeol this morning because of these stupid bodyguards of mine. Not to mention, the big fight I had with Dad earlier just because I'm off to school. He almost slapped me but Mom slapped him instead, and he was so shocked. He let me off with bodyguards and I can't believe I can't shrug them off.

"Gikwang... Yoseob... can you just die? I already told you, I won't be meeting with Sungyeol! Get off my back!" I raised my voice to them with irritation, but Yoseob just whistle like a bird and Gikwang just stood there, that I roll my eyes at them. "I wanna punch you guys so bad!"

"We know you, Myungsoo. We've been your bodyguards since you were little. I know what you're up to." Gikwang says while crossing his arms.

"Yeah, he's right, young master. You can't shrug us off this time." Yoseob says with that annoying face of his.

I can't even talk to Sungjong and the others...

I held the paper bag with Sungyeol's lunch. "Can I at least give this to him? He really needs his lunch."

Yoseob and Gikwang exchange glances and shrug. "We can do it for you. I'll leave Yoseob here for you while I'll deliver this."

"I can't even have lunch in the cafeteria?! You guys will be the deaths of me!"

I shove the paper bag on Gikwang's chest and he just grin at me before he went out. And now I'm left with Yoseob.

"Yoseob, please? I'll treat you anything you want... just let me see him..."

"Much as I wanted to help you, Myung, Gikwang is pretty much strict on me too. He knows we're good friends and he'll kick my once I helped you."

I slumped back on my seat and take a look on my phone when it started blinking.

From My Yeollie❤: Thanks for the lunch, Love. I miss you, and I've seen you earlier. I'm at the second floor the whole time. I was a little sick because me and the others stayed out last night.

I look at Yoseob who was yawning and tap a reply on Sungyeol's message.

To My Yeollie❤: Yes I know. But I wish I'd seen you. :( Even of it's just for awhile... anyway, are you alright? You got a cold?

From My Yeollie❤: I'm fine, Love. Just a little cold. Open the windows facing the corridor. Now.

I suddenly stood up and got closed to the windows and opened it. There's no sign of Sungyeol yet, but I leave it open.

To My Yeollie❤: Its open. Why?

Gikwang suddenly open the door so I have to hide my phone. These two will really be the deaths of me.

I was about to focus on my food when Sungjong from the front row smiled at me and mouthed... "he's here!"

I immediately turn my head on the open windows and there comes Sungyeol with Howon. He's holding a strawberry milkshake drink and then he turns to me and smiled.

I wanted to run towards him that very moment but I know I have two stupid bodyguards behind me, so I can't. I smile towards him sadly and he just made a face then wink at me.

He enters our room and the girls starts fangirling.

"Hi Sungjong! How are you? Wanna eat lunch with us in the cafeteria?"

"Of course Hyung! Lets go."

Sungyeol approached one of my girl classmate and whisper on her ear and handed the strawberry milkshake. Then he look at me again and smile. Then went out of our classroom with Sowon and Sungjong.

After that, my classmate whom Sungyeol handed a milkshake approached me and handed me the drink.

"He says to give it to you once they're  out of the classroom..."

"Th-thanks..."

"Sure! Kyaaa! Sungyeol whispered on my eaaaar! I'm dying!"

I giggle to that and get back on my seat only to see Gikwang eyeing me suspiciously. "What? Its just a drink. And he didn't approach me, so you have nothing to tell  my Father."

"I'm not saying anything Myungsoo..."

"Then don't look at me as if you were about to! Let me eat with peace and get off my back!"

I said then focus on my food again.

Sungyeol came to see me and let me see him. Because he knows I misses him so much since last night. I want to cry but I stop myself. I can't show weakness in our situation. We need to trust each other for this to work.

I continue eating even though I've got no appetite to. Sungyeol won't like it if I will not eat.

I smiled bitterly to myself. I need him... so bad.
--
At gym class, everyone is obviously at the Gym playing this and that. I have no spirit to do this so I remained seated on of the chairs inside the gymnasium. Gikwang and Yoseob finally took a break so I'm alone when Sungjong and Sowon approached me.

"Hyung... want to sneak out?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What? Why?"

"Don't you want to see hyung?"

"Why? Is he here?"

"He was. He came here and gave me this..." he showed me a key chain. "...that's something he saw from the store we visited last night before going home. Its a pair with his."

I looked at the key chain on my hand and started sniffing. Sungyeol really... he's making me emotional with all of this.

"He's visiting the store where he brought your bracelets. His bracelet suddenly got loose and it went off his wrist yesterday... he was so sad and devastated."

"Please tell him to lend me his bracelet and I'll fix it. He'll have it back tomorrow..." I said with tears in my eyes.

"No, he'll take it back to the shop. Anyway, what? You want to sneak out? Its not like we're doing anything anyway."

"Gikwang and Yoseob.. how about them?"

"I will stay here Oppa. And tell them that a certain teacher needs you in their office. Don't worry, I got this."

"Are you sure Sowon?"

"Yes. We're in this together. I want out in the engagement too, right? You got me on your side. Don't worry."

"Thanks, Sowon. I owe you. We'll be back in fifteen minutes."

"Sure, go ahead!"

Sungjong pull me out of the gym and run our way back to the main academic building.

"I think Hyung are having classes in the Science Laboratory now."

"Yes. I think so too."

We continue running and when we turn to the science labs, someone grabbed me by my waist

"Woah Love, where are you going?"

I lift my head to see Sungyeol's handsome face behind the laboratory glasses. He's also wearing his lab gown and his hands are covered with gloves.

"I saw you running your way up here, I was on my way back from the comfort room with... Howon."

I say nothing back than hug him and cling on his neck. "God, I miss you so bad!"

Sungyeol's hand goes around my waist. "I miss you too, Love. But why are you here? And where are your bodyguards?"

"They're having lunch and as you can see, we're having gym class now. We sneaked out. We promised Sowon to be back after fifteen minutes."

"I see. Have you eaten your lunch?"

"I did. How about you?"

"Of course, you prepared that for me."

I smiled immediately to that. Sungyeol run his hands through my hair and look at my face intently.

"You somehow look pale. Are you alright?"

I snap out of it. "I'm... yes I'm fine. Just a little... why are you spinning?"

"Huh? Love, I'm not--"

"I think I'm gonna... I'm gonna faint."

"Huh? Now--- . Myungsoo! Sungjong! HOWON! HELP!"
--
The moment I woke up, I find myself lying on the bed. I look around and see Sungyeol talking to the school nurse.

"Over fatigue might be the main cause on why he collapsed, Sungyeol. But his fever might be too."

"Will he be okay?"

"He will be, if you hand this medicine for him. Now, I'll leave you two here and attend the meeting. I can only let him rest before the school ends. I can trust you here, right?"

"Yes Miss. Thanks."

The nurse went out so I sits up. That's when he turn around. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine... better than I deserve. How long have I been here?"

"You've been sleeping for.. one hour and forty minutes now. And as much as I wanted to stay here for you, I can't. Your bodyguards was just here and your Dad is picking you up."

That struck me. "You're... not yet ready to see Dad?"

"This is not about me being ready facing him, Myungsoo. I need you home after you had your medicine. ... you scared me! You didn't even tell that you're feeling sick! Why? Why Myungsoo?!"

I grip tighter against the glass. I can't look at him. Then the next thing I knew is that I'm seeing him cry, his head down between my knees and his hands holding my hands.

"You fainted, Myung... damn it. You just fainted! How am I supposed to deal with that?! Do you realize how scared I was?!"

"I'm... I'm sorry Yeol... I.. I didn't know too... I swear I didn't know... please don't get mad..."

"I told you to be well right? Then why aren't you?"

"I'm well, Love. I'm well now. Please don't cry. Its bad for you..."

He calmed himself and lift his head up and face me. "You know what I'm feeling right now?"

"What?"

"I feel , because I can't be the one to take care of you... because your Dad will take you away from me again..."

I sadly smile to that because I know that that is true. We'll be separated again and we'll miss each other again.

"Myung..."

Yoseob was rubbing his nape as he look at us. "I don't want to ruin the moment, but... your Dad and Gikwang will be here any minute now... Yeol might want to leave now or we're all in trouble."

Sungyeol stood up and grab his phone. "Can I at least have your number? Please. I just want to check on Myungsoo whenever possible."

"Sure sure... but let's all be cautious okay? Don't call me..."

"Yes, I understand."

Yoseob saved his number on Sungyeol's phone. After that, Sungyeol turn to me and kissed my forehead then my lips. "Text me once you're home okay? I won't call you later to let you rest. I love you."

"Okay. Please call me before I sleep, I wanna hear you. And I love you too."

He smiled and pressed a kiss on my lips again. "Fine. I'll call. I love you. I'll get going."

I nod. As Sungyeol went out, a few minutes later, Dad came with Gikwang and my school bag.

I roll my eyes again. They're so ing annoying, but I know I need to at least do this to attend school. Or else, I won't be seeing Sungyeol anymore.

"Myungsoo..."

"Yes Dad?" I asked while I turn to the window beside me to see the outside. Dad sounds like he was about to say something important but I didn't turn to him.

"When will I ever meet Lee Sungyeol?"

Okay. This time, I turn to him. But he's not looking my way, instead he's reviewing someone else's profile. "Why the sudden interest?"

"Well, I just had his profile... which I am reviewing right now."

"You are investigating him!?" I asked horrified as he showed me Sungyeol's data bluntly this time.

"Yes. And I'm quite impressed. He's a genius. He was isolated to his parents and brother once he started attending school in Spain and was under supervision of his grandparents. Did you know that?"

My mouth hang open as I watched Dad flips pages.. "I kinda.. yes. I remember him telling me that..."

"And he's a multi achiever. He was only allowed to be with his parents before starting middle school. And has been the number one of every classes he had. Impressive, indeed."

Dad flips one more page and continue. "Not to mention, his first ever contribution to their company is the GSSC Residences. Which is very successful not only here. Since it was continued all around Asia. He dared to take over the business world at the very young age. And rumor has it, that he's very very strict when he's behind his executive table. Can you imagine? He's the only one working in his family along with his dad and other older cousins. But he's holding his head high and mighty because he knows for himself that he's gonna be the Lee's next leader. He will soon be the head of the heads of the Lee's..."

"I don't understand Dad... why are you telling me all these?"

Dad lowered down his eyeglasses, closed the folder and massaged his nose bridge then finally look at me. "You are not deserving for all of these Myungsoo... can't you see my point? Do you really think Sungyeol will leave all of these achievements for you? Do you really think he won't be asked to get married to someone his family wants for him? He needs a heir after him that will handle all of these in the future... and you won't be able to give it to him. That's why I'm asking you to get out of that relationship while you can. You'll end up getting hurt."

Instead of being down by my fathers words, I just watched him as he watches me. Not breaking our eye contact. He's in pain while telling me those condescending information about Sungyeol.

I suddenly had the urge to hold his hand and try not to let my tears fall. Because instead of being hurt by his words, I feel like he needed someone to hold his hand in a comforting manner...

"Why do I feel like you're telling me something you experienced, Dad? Why are you telling me all of those things with such pain in your eyes? Who hurt you Dad?"

And with that, Dad looks at me. Showing me the face of someone so vulnerable. Someone who could break easily like a glass. Someone who could break down anytime. Someone weak.

Someone I never seen before from him...

And Dad let his tears fall but he didn't answer any of my questions.

--

Sungyeol's POV

I went home that day to check on Moonsoo. I'm surprised he's not being taken away from us ever since the day he was left behind. And I kinda had the urge to go home that day. I just don't know what pushes me to.

I let down my keys in the nearest table once I'm inside the house. I loosen my tie and tried to imagine what just happened.

"Young master, will you have your dinner here?"

"Yes. And probably staying here for the night."

I dismissed the helper next to me and let her carry my bag to my room. Another helper gave me a drink and I gulped it in one go. "Where are the kids?"

"They're in the library, Young Master. They're with your mother."

"And my Dad?"

"In his office."

I nod then made my way to see them. I first drop by in the library where the kids at. And saw Moonsoo and Daeyeol on their tummy, lying cozy on the floor while sharing one book. While Mom is sleeping on a couch inside the library. I get closer to the kids and when they notice me, they are about to shout, but I asked them to be quiet.

"Hyung, are you here to check on Moonsoo?" Daeyeol asked in a soft whisper.

"Yes... how are you Moonsoo?"

"Very fine, Yeol-hyung... how's my brother?"

"He's very fine too... I saw him earlier at school, but he was accompanied by his bodyguard so we can't have a moment together..."

"They forbid you to get closer with him, aren't you?"

I nod sadly and ruffled his hair. "Yes Moonsoo... sorry. But I can assure you that he's very fine..."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really. Anyway, I have a goodnews."

They look at me with that asking eyes and i smiled. "I'm staying here tonight, so we can all sleep in my room. How do you like that?"

I instantly covered their mouth because they're about to yell, and I just motion them to be quiet again, which they only nod to.

Once I'm done with them, I went out of the library and went over to the other room which is Dad's office.

I saw him reviewing his papers and it looks like he take home some paper works again.

"Hi Dad... need help on that?" I let myself be known and he turn around to see me with his swivel chair.

"Hi son. I'll be done with these, so... anyway, why are you here?"

"Well, I checked on Moonsoo. And decided to stay the night."

"Ah, really. Then, can I have some of your time before you sleep. I need to talk to you."

I raise one brow and let my hands slip their way inside my pockets. "Is it about business?"

"No. It's about you and Myungsoo."

I froze as he lean against his chair. "I need to know how far you'll be able to handle this situation of yours by asking a few questions... I hope you don't mind, but I really need to know so that I can help you anytime, Son..."

I cleared my throat before looking to my Dad's eyes who speaks nothing but seriousness. "Sure Dad... in fact, I might need you earlier than expected. I'm planning on meeting Myungsoo's father."

"When?"

"Anytime soon... so let's talk after dinner."

I went our of his office and go straight to my room. I checked my phone and open my conversation with Myungsoo.

From Other Half❤: Love, Dad cried. I don't know why.

I'm home and I'm lying on my bed resting. I'll eat later.

From Other Half❤: I think Dad has been hurt before, Love... I can't shake this feelings...

I removed my tie and lay down on my bed.

To Other Half❤: How could you say that he's been hurt before? And Oh, I'm back in our main house and decided to sleep here. I invited Dae and Moonsoo to sleep in my room tonight. So, once I called you, you can talk to your brother.

From Other Half❤: Because he told me what he found out about you..  and he somehow sounded worried for me. He's thinking that I'll only get hurt because I'm not even close on being deserving for you... he even told me that you'll be needing a heir to succeed your family in the future and I can't give that to you... that kinda hurt me, but instead of being hurt for myself, I was hurt for him. He sounded as if he's talking by experience. Remember when I told you that I heard them talking about how he didn't work with someone and he thinks we won't too? Maybe that lover of his are in the same status as you and he was left behind because of the things ahead for his lover?

And oh, I'll definitely love to talk with my brother, thanks for inviting him in your room. I might asked mom to talk to him later too.

I knotted my eyebrows to what I just read. I feel something inside me... my intuition is running wild lately, and I don't know why and what triggers my mind to think that.

I tapped a reply.

To Other Half❤: Wow, that's... uncalled for... but, seriously, Myung. If I were to be asked to have a heir, we'll just adopt. There's no way I'm marrying someone other than you just because they wanted a heir from me. I'm more than ready to challenge that part of our family tradition. And if they don't want me to adopt and instead they'll ask me to dispatch you, I'll let them disowned me, for all I care. GSSCis more than enough and it's mine. I can provide for us both. And trust me, my family won't challenge me cause i probably can build another empire without them... and I don't think that will happen, Love. I'm telling you that what ifs. But no matter how hard the what ifs ahead of us, I'll never leave you. Not now, not never. So all I asked of you is to fight with me through this.

I grab the remote on my bedside table and closed the lights inside my room and open the AC then grab some snacks inside my fridge. Once I came back, Myungsoo's reply finally reached me.

From Other Half❤: I will never, Love. I'll make myself worthy for you. I'll do that for both of us and to shut my father up.

To Other Half❤: That's what I need for you, Love. That's more than enough for me.

We continue texting till we are both called for dinner. Glad we're having dinner at the same time, though not at the same place.

When I'm seated and started eating, I don't know why I'm feeling a sudden pressure from Dad beside me. He's tense and nervous. Mom is not saying anything but is very attentive with the kids.

"Dad, are you alright? You look.. tense. Something wrong?" I shove a big portion of meat inside my mouth and continue giving Dad a worried glare.

"I'm fine. Just... worried over something I don't know."

"You must be really tired, Dear."

"Yeah, maybe. But we'll talk later Sungyeol."

"Yes i know. I remember that very well."

He nods. After finishing our foods, I excused myself to wash and change into pajamas. And when I'm done, I went back to Dad's office.

It is very unusual to Dad to drink. He only drinks when he's having some hard time with the company. So I assumed that he is having a hard time with the company since he's drinking.
Mom went out as soon as he gave Dad his coffee and even leave a milk for me.

She pats my shoulder then kissed my cheeks goodnight.

Then I sat down on a single chair facing Dad.

"I'm here to make you realized what you have ahead of you, Sungyeol... I need you to understand everything..."

"Dad, why are you being like this?"

"I failed once... and that failure still haunts me in my sleep... it follows me painfully everyday of my life... it keeps on reminding me how much of a coward I am..."

"I.. don't understand Dad..."

He looked at me then sigh and face the ceiling again. "I have someone before your mother, Yeol... I love this person so very much... but I was torn between responsibilities and image... so in other words... I let that person go and hurt him terribly..."

I remained quiet. As he continues... "I love that person so much that I chose to let them go because I think... I think that'll be better for them. To keep them away from the judging eyes of the society. I got cornered and I can't move an inch so I hurt them by letting them go... because I think its for the better...."

"Does... does mom knows about this?"

He nods. "Of course. Your mom is my best friend. She's my childhood friend, remember?" I nod. "She want me to fight for that person... but I took a step back because... I'm so scared. I'm so damn scared, Yeol... it's okay if it's only me that'll face hardship, but I know they'll do to... and I can't bear that... if they're hurt, I will be hurt too... I don't want to see them cry..."

I open my mouth then closed it again when I realized I can't find words to react on what my Dad is telling me.

"So I want to know how much you wanted Myungsoo in your life Yeol... because I want to be with you guys in this together..."

"Dad... I love Myungsoo... he's everything to me. I know... I know that I'll be facing a lot of judgements... I know I'll be hurt in some of them, but I won't be hurt. I won't let what other people thinks of us hurt me or Myungsoo... as long as I have Myungsoo, I have no care to the world."

"How will you face your grandparents?"

"I worked so hard and haven't done anything wrong all my life to deserve their discontentment about my situation in the future... I have done anything in my power to give a satisfactory performance so they won't be disappointed with me..."

"Don't you think this won't disappoint them, Yeol? You loving a man?"

"Is loving a man, a disappointment? I didn't know that." I said sarcastically and smirked.

Dad bit his lips and I continue. "I see nothing wrong with letting your heart wins over rational mindset Dad... rules are made to be broken. And there's no rules to justify whom to love. Just let it go..."

"Can I ask you for your plans ahead?"

"Meet Myungsoo's Dad. Let him at least understand our situation and.. maybe ask him to accept what I have for his son..."

"You sure you won't leave him?"

"As sure as I'm sitting here, dad. I will never let go of him. Being away from him is torture."

Dad suddenly broke a smile and ruffled my head. "You need to promise me something..."

"Sure. Anything Dad. What is it? Ask away." I smiled as I tap his leg for assurance.

"Fight for him. And don't leave him."

"I will fight for him. And I won't leave him. He's worth it, Dad."

"I know."

Dad hugged me tightly and I pat his back. Then I went back to my room, only to find two sleeping kids on my bed. I smiled and run my hands through their hair and cover them with a comforter till their neck and I adjusted the AC before I grabbed my phone after checking the time and called Myungsoo...

"Hi Love..."
--
Third Person's POV

Sungjen grabbed his phone and dialled one person's number by pressing the speed dial 1 that never changed. Someone pick up the phone.

"I'm glad you answered..."

"What do you want?"

Sungjen bit his lip and control his sobs but it reached the other person on the line.

"Are you--- are you crying? Don't tell me you called me just to make me hear your ing sobs?"

He smiled with that obvious sarcasm and sniff. "I just... I just missed you so much... I'm glad you did not change your number after the other day..."

"..."

"It kinda gave me the feeling that you're still waiting for me..."

"You and your ing imaginations never grow old huh? I'm hanging up--"

"Wait! Don't! Don't please!"

"What?! What do you want Sungjen?! I am so tired of your games and so tired of everything! Let me go-- Oh, you already did... and that still ing hurts...."

"I want to see you... can we... can we meet?"

"..."

"Please..."

"We just met the other day, ..."

"But you didn't even talk to me... you didn't even let me finish with my talking..."

"Because you don't deserve my time... you expect me to listen to you after what you did? Go die in  your dreams, Sungjen! I'm hanging up--"

"Please... this is not for my sake. This won't be about us this time... just let's talk... we really need to talk..."

"..."

He waited the other to answer with trembling hands and controlled sobs.

"Where?"

"Huh?"

"Where to meet..."

He smiled. "In Sapphire... again... at the same time..."

"Okay. I'll see you there."

That's the last words of the other before the line went off. He clutched his phone tightly as if his life is depending on it.

Then his wife came in with water and his vitamins. He let his wife inside his arms and kissed her temples. "You're meeting again?"

"Yes... I wish we resolve things this time..."

"I wish you two all the best, Dear." His wife kisses his forehead and hugged him tight. "I've been wanting a part two of your love story with..."

"I know... thanks for being supportive even after things messed up..."

"Of course. If I won't be supportive now, who will you run to for advise?"

He smiled to that. His wife has always been his best friend though everything about them is business, they learned to love each other more than best friends but not to the point where he gets to forget about the other. And his wife is fully aware of that.

"If you managed to win him back this time... don't let him go anymore okay?"

"I won't..."

"That's all I asked. After all, it's already too much for him to handle. The then and the now..."

"I know..."

He lead his wife to their room and decided to sleep that night. But he didn't sleep immediately because his mind is elsewhere.

Like someone else's in the other side of Seoul.
--

Authors note: Ha. Ha. Ha. I'm so tired with this chapter! HAHAHAHA. ANYWAY, even though it's few, thanks for the upvotes and the subscribe. And of course, for the views. And if you have questions, which I know for sure you have, please ask away. And I'm open for suggestions. And as you can see, I'm running out of names. HAHAHAA So I'm using a piece of my imagination. I hope you don't mind. See you on my next update! -ChekkyChoding9195