12: He Knows

OTHER HALF

Myungsoo's POV

That night at Sungyeol's unit, I found out that he's not really the type to study. He mostly spend time playing games in his playroom. But the reason why he doesn't want anyone other than me inside his unit is still a mystery to me.

 

We are spending our time in his playroom. He's playing games, while I'm eating popcorn and watching him play.

 

"Yeol, aren't you hungry?"

 

"Not yet. I'm still full."

 

"But you're not yet eating."

 

Byeol suddenly jumps over my tummy causing the popcorn to fell right on the carpet. Aga follows shortly and sleeps.

 

"You're spoiling our kids, Myung..."

 

"I am not. I already gave them something to eat."

 

I heard him chuckle as he bent over to give me a kiss then throw the controller to the soft single sofa right across us.

 

"Yeol, I'm just wondering..."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"When you say you're not into studying, what exactly do you mean by that?"

 

"Exactly what I mean."

 

"How could you get perfect scores?"

 

"You haven't met my father's side of the family yet, Myungsoo..."

 

"Why? Are they eating people?"

 

"No. They're eating books."

 

We both chuckle for that when Yeol suddenly pull me up to let me sit in his lap.

 

"But seriously Myung..  that side of the family means books and study time. Being the next leader of the family, I'm ought to be the best in anything anytime. I've been raised that way. I'm not allowed to go outside before. Having friends is also prohibited."

 

"They're so strict..."

 

"They are. But I appreciate it. Before I start middle school, because I've been giving them consistent results with my studies, I've been granted one wish. And that is freedom. But if they heard me once failing, I'll be transported back to the main house."

 

"And where is that?"

 

"Spain."

 

"Then... what if they found out about me? Will they separate us?"

 

He suddenly have me the aren't-you-listening-look. "I've been given my freedom, Love. As long as I keep up with my academics, we're good. And besides, my family don't have a say in any of my personal matters. But they're always there to help me if I ever need one. I rarely asked for help though."

 

I sigh dreamily as I tried to imagine myself in Sungyeol's life. The Lee's are known for their strong businesses that keeps on expanding whenever and wherever. They're so formidable and unreachable in the business world.

 

"Every girls must be chasing you since birth huh?"

 

He smirk. "Well, yeah. They've been trying to win me over, but... I met my one and only."

 

I raise my eyebrow and tried to get up from his lap when he tighten his hug on me. "In the London streets. One year ago."

 

He kissed me slowly and I smile when he suddenly pull away. "You're that happy huh?"

 

"Well, I am Lee Sungyeol's one and only. Can't I be happy?"

 

I plant soft kisses in his lips and cling on him.

 

"Kim Myungsoo, I so love you. Don't leave me, okay?"

 

"I won't, leave you Lee Sungyeol. Even if we're up against the world."

 

I smile and hug him back as he gave me the warmest hug that night.

 

 

--

 

After that incident with Yeol inside his office, I realized how short time is before Sungyeol got his memory back, so we have to act fast.

 

Cousin Jang Dongwoo: I'm going to Yeol's psychiatrist tomorrow after class. Are you coming?

 

To Cousin Jang Dongwoo: Yes.

 

I hid my phone back in my pocket and tried to calm myself. I'm no longer sure on how to keep Sungyeol with me.

 

But one thing is for sure...

 

I'm not leaving his side this time.

 

 

--

 

 

 

The next day, me and Dongwoo-hyung went to Yeol's psychiatrist. When we came, he was just about to go out for snack, so we ended up in the mall.

 

 

"So, what you mean to say is that, Sungyeol is close to remember everything. And you're scared that the impact of the past might... lead him to harm. Is that it?"

 

Both of them nods. The doctor click his tongue.

 

"We all know the worst that could happen, Mr. Kim, Mr. Jang. The only thing we could do for him is to be with him as soon as he remembers. You have to always bear in your mind, that the pain that comes along with his memories, is what stopping him to remember. His unconsciousness knows more than his conscious self. And in Sungyeol's condition... he's denying the truth. He doesn't want the truth."

 

"Does that mean, Sungyeol is the same reason why his memories are being held up? He's holding them back?" Dongwoo asked.

 

"Yes. But that's not what his other half wants..." he looks at me and meet my gaze. "He wants to remember. And Myungsoo wants him to listen after he remembers. That's the risk we are taking here. Everything... and I mean everything could be the trigger for his memories to comeback. We don't know what are those yet. It could come anytime when we least expected it. And if he did have that trigger, he'll remember. And... you know the worst."

 

I sigh heavily. "If... if he did remember... and he..."

 

"Mr. Kim. The decision maker here is Mr. Lee. He's fighting with himself to keep you. If it's the usual Mr. Lee, without amnesia, you won't last this long beside him. He will definitely push you away in the most painful manner. The Mr. Lee with us right now, is the Mr. Lee who wanted to forget. The Mr. Lee who wanted to keep you."

 

I had my hands together as I heard those words from Yeol's doctor. So the Yeol I have is unconscious. He's awake physically, but his emotions are dead. He's sleeping inside, keeping himself away from pain. From hurting.

 

The doctor is long gone, and that leaves me with Dongwoo-hyung who's silent.

 

"No one knows what could trigger his memory, Myung... what's on your mind? I wanted to hear it."

 

I let tears fell on my cheek as I heard hyung asked me those questions. Sungyeol is emotionally half dead. Whatever happens from here, we all know that no one could stop his memory to come back as long as I'm close to him. It'll keep on coming back.

 

I felt Dongwoo-hyung's hands trying to comfort me. I don't know what to do anymore. Do I want him this way? Should I keep him this way?

 

Who am I even kidding?

 

We are not back together.

 

Because Sungyeol is unconsciously loving me knowing nothing about what happened in the past. And I'm living the dream.

 

I'm fooling myself.

 

And it hurts so much. Because I know that once he remembers, it's either he listens, or push me away.

 

 

--

 

 

 

I went home that night feeling absolutely nothing in mind about what to do with Sungyeol. I got no plans on how to carry on with this lie.

 

 

"Hey-- Oh. What happened? Are you okay Myung?"

 

I hugged Sungyeol as soon as I saw him coming out from the kitchen. Holding Byeol and Aga's bowl.

 

"How was your talk with Dongwoo-hyung? Everything okay?"

 

Sungyeol let down the bowls in front of our pets, then proceed on wiping my tears away with his thumb but it keeps on falling. I'm having a hard time to breath and i don't know what to do. I don't want to look in Sungyeol's eyes because I know that it'll be different. Its Sungyeol but not the same Sungyeol I wanted to come back to me.

 

Maybe the saying is true after all.

 

That once you you lose someone, it's not exactly the same person who comes back.

 

I closed my eyes as tightly as I could to avoid eye contact.

 

"Myungsoo, what's wrong? Who made you cry? You're hurting me..."

 

I sob hysterically and he hugged me tightly. The familiar perfume that I loved so much. The scent that I missed so much. I just can't let go...

 

"You're really hurting me, Myung... please stop crying... please..."

 

He continue holding me as I calm myself. We sit down on the sofa. I'm on his lap and he's playing with my hair as he keep my face away from his sight.

 

"You know... I was about to feed our kids, but then you came crying... and our kids are killing me with their gazes and you're killing me with your cries... you three will be the deaths of me." I heard him chuckle.

 

I stopped crying but I don't want him out of my arms.

 

 

--

 

 

 

I woke up with all the lights closed. I know as soon  as I wake,  that I'm in Sungyeol's room. The warmth beside me is familiar. I know it's him.

 

 

I sits up and look around. He came out of the comfort room and was drying his hair when he noticed me watching him. He flashed me with his smile.

 

"Good morning, Love. How are you feeling?"

 

"Good. Where are you going?"

 

"School? It's 6am and Sunggyu needs me at 6:30am." he lift my head to kissed me on my lips up to my forehead. "If you ever gets hungry, you can eat everything on the table. And... I'll see you at school. Okay?" I nod. He pats my head. "I love you, Myung."

 

"I love you..." I cling on his neck and left a mark on it.

 

 

--

 

 

 

Third Person's POV

 

 

Sungyeol and Niel went out of the cafe holding his Americano while texting someone. Niel was following him close by.

 

"Hyung, after the Entrepreneurship Day, can you attend my sister's birthday? She really wanted to see you."

 

Sungyeol bit the straw as he look back to Niel. "It will be depending on the plans meant for that day. When was it?"

 

"October 8."

 

"Ill tell you my answer by then, cause I'm not really sure."

 

Niel smiles. They continue walking back to their school, when somewhere near to where they are, some car hit a post.

 

Sungyeol looks to where the accident happens...

 

"OMG hyung! There's an accident! Call for help!"

 

Sungyeol barely heard Niel's words as he suddenly felt the pain from his head....

 

"Tell me the name Myungsoo!"

 

"No Yeol! Please... please just let me go... this is the only way to protect you..."

 

"I don't need protection! I need you!"

 

"Hyung? Are you okay hyung?"

 

"Y-yeah... sorry Niel... but I need to go.."

 

"What? Now? Where are you going?"

 

"Just... just somewhere... I need to go."

 

Sungyeol's head is throbbing. Its painful. He can no longer bear it.

 

When his driver, Dongwoon arrived, he was nearly out of breath and sweating real hard.

 

"Young heir! Are you okay?!"

 

"Take me to... take me to Minhyuk... I need to go to Minhyuk..."

 

As Sungyeol was seated at the back, he keeps on hitting his chest and head.

 

"Sungyeol... I'm sorry..."

"No! You're not going to attend that stupid marriage meeting, Kim Myungsoo! I'm telling you to wait for me, damn it!"

"No... sorry."

"Meet her, and we're over."

 

 

"Yeol, cut it out! Where are you?! You're not allowed to drive yet!"

 

"I won't listen to you now, Sunggyu. Definitely not now that Myungsoo is meeting someone from the Jung Clan. I'm not letting that happen!"

 

"No! Listen to me and calm down, Yeol! You might--"

 

"! The break isn't working! Why is this thing aren't working?!"

 

"YEOL?! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!"

 

"YOUNG Heir! Are you okay?!"

 

"Continue driving, Dongwoon! Argh!"

 

"Young heir!"

 

"Shut up!"

 

That's the last thing he could utter.

 

Because now he's feeling pain.

 

Physically and emotionally as his memory creeps their way back to his mind.

 

And everything he tried to forget by the time he woke up in the hospital, came back. Ready to kill him.

 

 

--

 

 

 

Sungyeol arrived at Minhyuk's office and the young doctor was surprised to see him. He sat down in front of him, not even waiting to be offered.

 

 

"What brought you here?... you look... harassed."

 

"Well, I am."

 

"You are?"

 

The younger just nods. His psychiatrist is getting worried as the younger gave him the look of no mercy. He look so cold and ready to fight anytime soon.

 

"Let me asked you something about what could trigger my memory to come back..."

 

"O..Kay? What about it?"

 

"You once told me that I'm unconsciously remembering the things worth remembering from my past... I remembered Myungsoo. And our happy days."

 

"Yes?"

 

"Then, why am I not remembering anything about the accident?"

 

"Because it's not worth remembering?"

 

"Why am I not remembering it, Minhyuk?" Sungyeol snapped.

 

Minhyuk stare to Sungyeol who was not leaving his face.

 

"You remember the accident, Sungyeol."

 

"But not the cause of it."

 

He closed his lips tightly. And when he didn't counter that, Sungyeol continues as he lean back on the leather seat.

 

"It has something to do with Myungsoo."

 

"Why are you asking as if you're sure?"

 

"Because you just said it."

 

Sungyeol stands. "The trigger that could send my memories back are the scene of the accident. Some scene that's looks like the accident. Or maybe, just a pure accident on the streets could take them all back in one go. But can you tell me, why is everyone so cautious about it? About the cause of it? Even mom had to lie about it, saying that I was just so curious on how to drive that car and went out and crash. Do you really think I'm that stupid?"

 

The doctor sigh. "Because it could---"

 

"Kill me? Because of my heart condition. Is that it? Because everyone is aware how weak my heart is, so you guys always lie. Right?" He throw his hands up  in the air. "You know Jung Sowon?"

 

The doctor nods.

 

"I already met her."

 

This time, Minhyuk turns pale.

 

"You do?"

 

"Yes. And every time I saw her, it hurts here," he hits his chest lightly  "and it's killing me. And I think I know why it hurts."

 

"Yeol..."

 

"I want the truth Minhyuk..."

 

He sigh as a sign of surrender and look straight to Sungyeol's eyes.

 

"I was hurt by Myungsoo and Sowon. Right? That's why I met an accident because of them. Right?"

 

--
Author's note: I'm scared of Sungyeol in this chapter. :( HAHAHAHAHA!