The past

Fanfiction: The sequel

Ryeowook read over Rin’s work with a sigh. Nothing out of the ordinary. Her normal angst style writing took over with her part of the chapter. Nothing he couldn’t handle. But like Sungmin had said, nothing happened in one chapter.

“Dude, Sungmin is moody. How do you handle Rin when she’s on her period. I think Sungmin is on his. Do guys get periods? Is Sungmin really a girl?” Kyuhyun asked, his rant having been ignored by the older for the past hour now.

“Sungmin is a guy, you screw him enough to know that by now.” Ryeowook said partially listening. Kyuhyun peeked over his shoulder at the fanfiction chapter so far and laughed.

“She is still angry at Min and I.” Kyuhyun commented.

“She’s putting her friends in this. Why is she angry with you and Min hyung?” Ryeowook asked now listening. Kyuhyun leaned back and smiled at the memory.

“You were at your parents and she came over. We had our friends over and Min invited one of her old boyfriends apparently and he kept bothering her. Now it seems she’s making Min and I live under him.” Kyuhyun explained.

“Rin dated Siwon?” Ryeowook asked surprised. Kyuhyun nodded.

“Yeah, she didn’t tell you? Hell, Rin was a player before she got this job and met you.” Kyuhyun laughed remembering the the stories Sungmin had told him. Ryeowook felt even more distant from Rin as he leaned back in his chair.

“What am I going to do?” he pondered aloud as he read the last chapter of Rin’s words. Just how much of her past was she lying to him about? He understood she wanted some secrecy, but Kyuhyun knew more about her than he did. Kyuhyun left him alone as Ryeowook eyes the blinking black line on his word document.

“I won’t give up on you.” he whispered grabbing his beer for one last drink before ordering another and getting lost in his words of fantasy.

/Ryeowook’s part\

Chapter two- life of hybrids

Ryeowook was sat in front of his mirror, fiddling with the purple collar around his neck. Hybrids wore collars as a symbol of what they were. The devices kept their animal side dormant, their abilities subdued. But Ryeowook was different. This collar did none of that. It was not government issued, it was normal and given to him by Rin. It was his favourite colour, and with him being the government's experiment, he was allowed to wear it. But with that said, he had to be careful of his animal side. If he ever experienced a strong emotion, then he would become the beast he was called.

"Wookie!" Rin called as she entered his bedroom. Ryeowook's ears twitched as she pet his tail.

"I have a great idea!" She announced before holding out a bag of unpopped popcorn. Ryeowook sighed as he took the bag.

"You wanna watch a movie?" He asked knowing that was not it. Rin smiled wider causing the hybrid to do the same.

"Go on, heat it up, cook it." She urged. Ryeowook shook his head.

"No." He told her. Rin pouted before pulling on his tail. With a slight wince, Ryeowook leaned away.

"Rin I can't." He repeated.

"Fine,  then I'll go kiss Kyuhyun." She smirked standing up. She was lying, they both knew it, but the mere thought of her kissing another aside from him had his fur standing on end. He loved her, he secretly craved her. Flames were the air around him as Rin threw popcorn kernels at him and watched them pop into the fluffy treat she wanted.

"Yep, we will make out and hold hands." She continued. Ryeowook growled as he shifted to his fox form and laid down. As his fire died down, Rin frowned.

"I wasn't done." She told him. Ryeowook snorted as he closed his eyes. Rin smiled as she curled at his side. His fur tickled her nose as her eyes closed. She loved lying with him like this. Her fingers curled into his red fur and her face buried in its warmth.

"Kyuhyun is unhappy with Siwon again." She said making Ryeowook snort again.

"I'm sleeping with you by the way." She continued as she made herself comfortable. Ryeowook smirked, she always slept with him when her grandfather allowed her.

/End\

Rin read the email and smiled. She could work with that.

“You should tell him.” Sungmin said. Kyuhyun had texted him about the conversation with Ryeowook hours ago. The younger was still gone despite Kyuhyun being home already.

“I know.” Rin whispered.

“What’s keeping you? He want’s a family Rin.” Sungmin told her. Rin hung her head in defeat, ages of stress seemed to sag her shoulders, weigh her down.

“You know my past, you know my troubles. I’m not good at this Min.” she explained. Sungmin sighed and nodded his head. He had been there for most of her troubles.

“Tell him about your past Rin, I mean it.” Sungmin ordered before standing up.

“I’m off to locate your boyfriend.” Sungmin smiled.

“I’m married to him.” Rin called.

“Then act like it.” and with that, he was gone. Rin stuck out her tongue before smiling and typing her next part.

/Rin’s part\

The next day, Ryeowook woke to Rin spread out on him. Moving from under her, he shook out his fur and returned to human form. Moving through his routine, he made sure to fix Rin breakfast for when she did wake up.

"You both slept well." Yesung mused as he and Rin's grandfather sat at the table. Ryeowook bowed before preparing food as the sound of Rin and moving around filled the home. As his tail wagged, Ryeowook hummed happily over the stove.

"I'm just worried that she will get left behind. I'm not in the best health and she isn't the best in class." The old man said as he continued an earlier conversation. Rin entered the room, just as Ryeowook handed her the toast and sat her down as he nibbled on his own bread.

"Ryeowook, don't forget about Leeteuk's and my meeting this evening." Yesung ordered.

"I will do my chores before you return." He promises.

"Can we skip school?" Rin asked as usual in the mornings. Before anyone could answer, Kyuhyun rushed in with his clothes half off. Ryeowook hid Rin's eyes as the teen slid to the floor out of breath.

"Kyu, are you alright?" Yesung asked as he helped the boy to a seat.

"Hyung, he's hurt, he's bleeding bad." Kyuhyun gasped out.

"What happened?" Yesung asked calmly as he ordered Ryeowook to get his med kit. Rin moved to stand beside her fellow human.

"Here Yesung." Ryeowook said as Yesung stood up and made for Sungmin's home. Kyuhyun was quick to join the elder. Rin and Ryeowook followed, stopping at the door as Kyuhyun sat beside his rabbit hybrid. Blood covered him and the floor as Yesung began his treatment.

"What happened?" Yesung asked. Sungmin tried to speak, but only blood poured from his mouth with a strangled cough.

"Siwon was mad with me, and he threatened me with a knife. Hyung tried to protect me and Siwon stabbed him." Kyuhyun replied. Ryeowook heard Rin gasp as Yesung stood up and walked to the sink.

"Ryeowook, take them to school. I will fix things here." Yesung ordered leaving no room for argue. It took both Rin and Ryeowook to drag Kyuhyun from the home. The bus ride to the building was silent, the usual arguments nowhere in sight.

"So, what do you think we will learn today?" Rin asked trying to vanquish the silence.

"I want to go home." Kyuhyun pouted. Ryeowook smiled as he draped an arm around both friends.

"Come on, Yesung will take care of Sungmin hyung and we will stay out of trouble."  Ryeowook said, "and you are not helping your hyung by skipping class. Siwon will only be more upset." He added. Kyuhyun nodded, his eyes still moist from his tears. Rin marched inside the classroom and took her seat, quickly followed by the boys. The students were talking animatedly as their teacher remained absent, even after the bell.

"I smell a monkey?" Ryeowook whispered confused.

"A hybrid?" Rin asked looking worried. Kyuhyun peeked up from his arms just as the door opened and the teacher and two others walked in.

"Calm down class, today, we are going to learn about hybrids and their roles in society." The teacher announced. It was something they read about in books, not see in class. His owner stood beside the cage, his eyes downcast as another man opened the cage.

"Hybrids were created by the military. Their roles meant to better our human lives. Like slavery in the old days of the world, these beast are neither human nor animal. Creations that can be done with however we wish." As he spoke, Rin noticed the tension in both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. She hated the way they were treated. To her, Ryeowook was human just like her.

"Are there any question?" The man asked. Ryeowook raised his hand surprising the other two.

"Yes." Their teacher asked. Ryeowook cleared his throat.

"If the hybrid acted up by using his abilities, how would you plan to punish him if you were not near him? I know that if you are close to him, you can press a button on yourself and the hybrids collar will constrict and choke him." Ryeowook asked. The man smiled before looking to the other.

"Donghae, care to explain?" The man asked.

"Yes Hangeng. You see, we have developed a new collar and tracker, it will allow the human and his hybrid to be linked so that no matter where he is, he can punish the hybrid." Donghae explained earning a clap from the students as Ryeowook leaned back in his chair.

"Sungmin will be killed." Kyuhyun whispered as he raised his hand.

"Yes?" Kangin asked.

"What if someone abuses that ability?" Kyuhyun asked. Hangeng and Donghae exchanged looks.

"Kyuhyun, a human can and has the right to do whatever they please with a hybrid. We have been over this." The teacher stated.

"It's okay." Rin whispered as she patted the boy's shoulders. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were still tense as the day continued. Hyukjae was still the hybrid example used for the rest of the day, his handler Donghae always at his side.

"They will kill him if he tries to escape." Ryeowook explained during lunch. They were watching Donghae and the hybrid eat. Suddenly, Kangin walked over to them.

"Ryeowook." He said making the fox look up.

"Come with me." He ordered walking away. Ryeowook gave a look to the others before following. Once they were out of earshot, the military general cleared his throat.

"How is the experiment?" He asked as Ryeowook looked around before removing his hat. Red ears twitched in the warm air of late summer early fall.

"Still a fail." The man growled. Ryeowook did not speak as he replaced his hat.

"We are giving the same drug to Hyukjae. Maybe something will happen with it." Kangin pondered.

"No offence," Ryeowook began, unable to keep silent. "But, will it not kill him?" He asked. Kangin back handed him before adjusting his jacket.

"Silence, if I wanted feed back from a beast, I would ask it." He snarled. Ryeowook nodded and bowed. As he left, Ryeowook risked a look at Hyukjae, making eye contact.

"Good luck." The fox whispered.

/End\

Rin smiled at the completed work. A little of her fear revealing in the words. Her hand drifted to her stomach. Did she dare bring a child into her problems?