CHAPTER 36

Walking With You

“Oh. I just ask them about the car accident” RapMon answered casually. He lifted his gaze and saw all eyes glued at him in complete shock. He felt the tense air and turned his head to meet Yerin’s eyes that already teary. “Wait” he realized what he just said. “Yerin-ah”

“How do you know about the car accident?!” Yerin almost shouted. “I never tell you about it!”

“Yerin” RapMon approached her. She moved a step back with her head lowered. Tears stained the cemented floor.

“Tell me” her trembling hands formed into fist, to endure her anger. “How can you know about the accident?! Why do you care about it?!” her small fist hit his chest. “Who exactly are you?! Tell me” her hands dropped to her side as she sobs harder. Yerin mustered all her strength. “Are you my brother?” the words escaped her stuttering lips almost not hearable. The others had their eyes at RapMon. Slowly she locked eyes with RapMon.

                RapMon heaved a sigh. He hesitated but gave her a small nod. “Yes. I’m your brother, Yerin”

                They gasped but not Yerin. “Then why don’t you tell me sooner? Why, Namjoon oppa?!!” she thumped her fist onto his chest again. “Yerin” he grabbed her fist and pulled her into his embrace. She sobs against his shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Yerin” he caressed her head. “I’m so sorry”

*             *             *

                Yerin was sitting beside the river, legs hanging freely on the river. RapMon filled the empty space beside her. He glanced at the rest of members. The boys nodded. V nodded too. RapMon turned to face the river, stealing gaze at Yerin. Her eyes were puffy with a trace of wetness around the lids. She wiped her eyes with her arm. He held out a handkerchief to her. Yerin glanced at it before received it. A small soft smile appeared on RapMon’s face.

“You okay?” he asked. Yerin tucked her knees to her chest and buried her face into the crevice between them. She nodded her head. “I’m fine” she mumbled. Yerin lifted her head and stared into the spaces. “I’m just shocked. I’m sorry, Namjoon oppa. For earlier”

“It’s okay. I’m sorry too. It must be a total shock for you” She nodded. “It’s a total shock for both of us” she replied.

“Since when” she started. “Did you know about this?”

                RapMon heaved out the burden that had been chocked on his lungs for years. “I started to notice since the first day that we met. When you were at my place. I saw the scar”

                Yerin slid her bangs aside to reveal the scar. “The scar from the accident”

“Yes, partly. But the scar actually just a few centimeters long. Due to the accident, the scar snaking on your forehead. I remember you thrown out of the car when the car accident happened. I think maybe your head hit something and scratch it larger” “Wait, partly?” “Uhuh. The scar was originally not that visible from afar like now. Don’t you remember? We fell off the bike when we were little” he had his eyes at her. She turned to him and shook her head. “It’s okay. Let me tell you. It’s because of the accident, I guess. That your memory faded. I’m like that too. It slowly came back to me. Well, actually it’s like this. I wasn’t able to cycle well at that time”

-Flashback-

“Come on, oppa” the 4-years-old Yerin stumped her feets against the ground of the hanok’s courtyard. She pouted. The 6-years-old RapMon stopped his bike in front of her. “Yerin-ah, I can’t cycle well myself”

“Liar!” Yerin pouted more and squatted, buried her face into her knees. RapMon shook his head and got off his bike. He bent over and caressed her. “Okay. I’ll let you ride with me”

                She lifted her gaze and her face lit up.

“But make sure you hold onto me tightly” he said. “Alright” she nodded eagerly. He took her hand and stood. “As long as you’re happy, Yerin”

                Yerin was at the passenger seat at the back and RapMon was at the front. Ready to paddle off.

“Here we go!” she shouted with glee. He smiled and started to cycle around the yard carefully. RapMon glanced to his sister who was smiling from ear-to-ear. He turned around only to see a huge toad in front of them that he almost squash with the tire.

“OH!” he lost balance. The bike shook and lost control. It fell with the two thrown onto the ground. Yerin’s laughter was no longer surround the yard. RapMon pushed himself off the ground. “Ouch!” His gaze darted to search for Yerin who happen to be not far in front of him. Her sobs could be heard as she pushed her tiny body against the ground.

“Yerin!” RapMon quickly helped her to sit and saw blood streamed down her face.

“Omo!” their mother who heard the sobs came ran to them. “Omo our Yerin! You okay?” she saw the blood. “Let’s bring her to the clinic quickly!”

“I’m sorry, omma” RapMon whispered. Their mother turned to him and panic again. “Namjoon! Your lips!” her lips touched his bleeding lips.

“Don’t worry about me. Let’s bring Yerin to the clinic fast”

-End of flashback-

“And so, that’s how you got the scar” RapMon stated. “I’m so sorry”

                Yerin traced her finger on the scar. “It’s okay, oppa” She turned to face him with a teasing smirk. “You’re afraid of toad, eh?” she wiggled her eyebrows.

“I was” RapMon smiled. “Wait. You’re not plotting to scare me with that creature, right?”

“Oh yes” she nodded. “Me and Taehyung used to catch those near the stream. We sure can help catch some for you”

“What?! NO! Yerin!”

                Yerin bursted into laughter. V, J-Hope, Jimin, Jin and Jungkook lifted their gaze at them. A small smile appeared on their faces. The boys received a text message from Suga. He sent a picture of him with a younger female beside him.

| I found her! My little sister!      | From: Suga

                They exchanged smiles. “I guess things work out for both of them” Jungkook said and began to type a reply to him.

“You’re not going to believe what happen today” he sent the message to Suga. Later, Suga replied.

|I know. Namjoon and Yerin, right? They’re siblings. Namjoon told me last night |

“Daebak!” Jungkook pushed himself off the sofa. “Hyung know already”

“It’s great everyone is happy now” Jin was staring at the picture of Suga and his sister. He noticed his puffy eyes. “Tsk. You cried? This is so not you, Yoongi” he whispered to himself.

 

“Look” RapMon showed a picture he took out from his wallet. Yerin received the old gloss paper with the picture of a family. “It’s us. Our family” he said.

                She was speechless and stared the reminiscent picture. She smiled but tears streamed down her cheeks. “I almost forgot how out parents looks like”

“Appa said you look a lot him and I look alike omma. And he said your stubbornness comes from him” RapMon chuckled. “He turned out to be right”

“I miss them” she whispered. RapMon glanced at her and smile. He patted her back. “Me too. We couldn’t even make many memory with them. They left us alone too early. But now”

                She turned to him.

“I will take care of you” RapMon said. “I promise”