CHAPTER 17

Walking With You

| Thank you for everything, Yerin. I hope you and Seunghwan will stay together forever. And I wish you can find your brother. I’m sorry for hurting your feelings all this while. And I want you to know that you’re the best person I’ve ever meet |

“No!” Yerin shoot up. *Don’t tell me-*

“See you later, Yoongi-ssi” she bowed and ran away in panic, leaving Suga alone. 

                He watched her as she left in hurry.

“Who are you, Yerin-ssi?” he spoke. “Why am I acting like this?”

*Don’t tell me I have a crush on her* he gasped. “Tsk! Seriously?”    

   *          *             *

                Yerin’s rapid steps halted and she doubled over as she arrived at the pier. She was catching up to her breath. *Please don’t let him do it!* Her whole body was trembling in fear at the thought of V would do the same as in her dream.

                She looked around and saw a silhouette on top of a scaffold there.

“Taehyung!” Yerin shouted as she ran towards the scaffold. V glanced at her with a small smile.

*I don’t think she can stop me*

                Yerin climbed on the ladder and landed on the platform. The two met eyes.

“Taehyung, don’t do this! You don’t know what you’re doing!” Yerin spoke. “I know what I’m doing! You just stay out of this!” he snarled. “No. You’re leaving me alone, Kim Taehyung! And you think I like it?” she took another step towards him. The scaffold shook at the wind blew. “I don’t want to live in this world anymore, Yerin” his eyes sadden.

“You’re just too stressed right now. Let’s just think about your problem over again later. Every problem have its solution. You think just by killing yourself can solve it? Doing this dangerous thing will only hurt you and those around you. So please, Taehyung” she held out her hand. “Come here. I’ll help you”

                He stared at her hand in silence. His face did not express any emotion. He seems to still in confusion and hesitation.

“You said it yourself” Yerin began. “Although the reality is suffocating you, you must endure it and do your best to stay alive”

-Flashback (A year ago)-

                Yerin was on the hospital bed. She was laying weakly and her face was pale. V held onto her hand. He looked at her who was staring into empty space.

“You need to remember this, Yerin. Although the reality is suffocating you, you must endure it and do your best to stay alive” he advised.

-End of flashback-

“Thanks to you, I didn’t try to take my own life ever again” her tears flowed down her cheeks. “You mean a lot to me, Taehyung. And I don’t want to lose you”

                V was still silent. He knew it hurt her to remember that painful incident. Slowly his hand was lifted. He hesitated to reach her hand. V glanced down to the sea behind him and Yerin after one another. Finnaly, he made his decision. He took her hand and Yerin pulled him into her embrace. Both fell onto the platform.

“Tae, I don’t know what I’ll do if I lose you” she cried more, this time in complete relief. “Yerin” he called. “Uhm?” “You said you’ll help me right?” Yerin broke the hug and looked into his eyes before nodded.

“I’m hungry. I want ramyeon” he blurted. “What?” she burst into laughter, amazed with his cute request. “Alright then. Better eat a lot tonight because it’s on me”

*Yerin always manage to find me. Where ever I hide, she’ll always finds me* he thought with a small smile. *And so did this time*

   *          *             *

                Yerin entered her house with a badminton bag over her shoulder.

“I’m so tired” Irene followed behind her and entered the living room. “I’m using the bathroom first” V entered the bathroom beside Yerin’s room.

“I’m taking bath first” Yerin entered her room. “Alright” Irene sat on the sofa.

                Yerin joined V later at the living room after she cleaned herself. Irene was in the bathroom in her room.

“Arg!! I’m so tired!” V laid on the sofa and watched the TV. “I know right. It’s good that we had lunch already or I’ll have to cook now. I’m so worn out!” Yerin complained. She glanced at the racquet she leaned temporarily against the wall behind her.

“We should play badminton for hours and have lunch together again in the future” “Yeah. We sure had a blast”

                Her phone beeped as she received a text message. She read it with a broad smile. V glanced at her.

“Seunghwan?” he guessed. “Of course” her smile broaden.

“She’s so in love with him” V whispered to himself and continued to watch the TV. The image of Seunghwan holding hands with an unknown woman when they were at the fair popped into his mind again. V suddenly remembered seeing Seunghwan with another woman when he went to the park before this.

“Yerin” V suddenly sat up. “Yes?” Yerin glanced at him. “The other day-“

                The doorbell rang. They looked at each other and then to the door.

“Let me get it” she went to the door. V sighed. “I’ll tell her later, I guess”

“Yes?” Yerin opened the front door to reveal a man in suit with another taller man in suit too behind him. “Can I help you?”

“Yerin, it’s me” the shorter man smiled. “Who?” “It’s me. Jeongmin” Yerin paused. “Oh! Jeongmin oppa! I’m so sorry” she smiled sheepishly. “What? No hug for me?” he spread out his arms. “Oppa, we’re grown up now” she giggled. “Come in”

“Thank you” Jeongmin followed Yerin to the living room.

                V stood at the sight of Jeongmin.

“Who is this?” he asked her.

“Taehyung, this is Jeongmin. He’s my cousin” she introduced him. “Oh. It’s nice to meet you” V bowed. “Hello. So you’re living here with your boyfriend” Jeongmin looked at Yerin. “He’s not my boyfriend, oppa” she replied. “Do sit. Would tea be okay with you?”

“Sure” Jeongmin took a seat across V. Yerin went to the kitchen. “So, for how long have you go out with Yerin?”

“I’m not his boyfriend. We’re just friends” V sat. “I thought Yerin said all of her family hated her”

“But not me” Jeongmin smiled. “You see, if our parents hate this group of people, it doesn’t mean we children need to hate them too. Besides, all of that were in the past. Let bygone be bygone. Yerin and I had been close since we’re little before she involved into an accident. From that day onward, I never saw her until this early year”

“I’m curious. How do you manage to find her here?” “I asked my people to search and so they did. I had always ask Yerin where she lives but she never tell me. So now I know. She’s living here with her boyfriend”

“Taehyung is not my boyfriend, oppa!” Yerin reprimanded him from the kitchen. Jeongmin laughed at her remarks.

“His boyfriend is working now” V stated. “So Yerin have a boyfriend?” “Yes” “How’s he?” “Just ordinary”

“Seunghwan oppa is not ordinary. Well, he is but to me, he’s the best” she replied. “Can you not tell him anything, Taehyung?”

“Awh! Yerin is being cruel!” Jeongmin whined. “You wouldn’t tell me that if I ask you. Taehyung is kind enough to reveal everything to me”

“That’s so refreshing!” Irene came out of the room. All eyes were on her. She blinked her eyes innocently.

“Jeongmin oppa, this is my friend Irene. And Irene. This is my cousin, Jeongmin” Yerin introduced both of them. “Hello” Irene bowed. “Hello” Jeongmin replied. “So-”

“No, Jeongmin oppa” Yerin voiced. “I didn’t live with her. I live here alone”

“Alright. You always know what I’m going to ask” Jeongmin replied.

“But, Jeongmin-ssi” V called. “I’ve never see you before. And Yerin never mention about you”

“Why would I want to mention about him?” Yerin brought tea to them. “He’s not important” she stuck out her tongue.

“Awh! That really hurt, Yerin” Jeongmin held to his ‘hurt’ chest. “Anyway, I just got home from the State yesterday. I had been there for a month for some business. I want to meet Yerin often but both of us are busy. Maybe that’s why you never see me. We met only several times”

“Jeongmin oppa, where’s that other guy who came with you just now?” “He’s outside. Don’t mind him. He’s on guard” he replied and sipped on the tea. “Guarding? What for?” “Just being cautious. You never know when your rival will harm you” he explained. “You see, becoming a business man taught me to not easily trust people”

                Jeongmin glanced at his watch.

“Oh, my! I wish I can stay longer” he put the cup and stood. “I have a meeting with some chairman from Germany” he tucked his suit.

“You had been super busy, oppa” Yerin approached him and fixed his untidy tie.

                V can’t help but glared at them in jealousy. Irene giggled in silence.

“Thanks, Yerin” he smiled and locked eyes with her. “You’re welcome”

“You two please take care of my Yerin” Jeongmin glanced at V and Irene. He accidentally saw the racquet at the wall. It looked old and worn out. “You play badminton?” he asked Yerin. “Well, yeah. Sometimes” Yerin replied and escorted him to the door.

“I’ll see you all later then” Jeongmin wore his shoes. “Sure, oppa. Don’t work too hard. Don’t forget to eat” Yerin advised. “You look skinny”

“Me? Skinny?” Jeongmin chuckled. “Sure, Yerin. Thank you. See you later” he bowed. “Bye” they bowed as Jeongmin waved and walked out the door. The door was shut.

                Jeongmin and his bodyguard walked away from Yerin’s house.

“Checkmate!” a silhouette moved away from his hiding place at the opposite building.

*             *             *

                J-Hope continued to stare at the family picture on the wall of his living room. He had been standing in front of the wall for minutes. His eyes glued to the picture of his father, himself and his late mother that was taken when he was celebrating his 7th birthday. The smile on his mother’s face was stared. His eyes sadden.

“Hoseok” His mother’s voice rang in his head.

                The doorbell rang.

“Coming!” Hojun who was studying at the coffee table in the living room threw his pen aside. He went to get the door. J-Hope ignored the doorbell. He turned to the side to see Hojun’s notebook on the coffee table.

                J-Hope approached it. He bent over and ran through the pages. He saw ugly scribbles of curse words and doodles on most pages.

|e’s son| |Go to hell!| | off!|

                His eyes widened.

“You as a brother should pay attention to your lil brother! Not letting him get beat up every day!” This time Yerin’s voiced rang in his mind. He put the book back and turned to a picture of his late mother.

*What am I doing all these years, omma? Hojun is bullied every day. Just because his mother and appa married. He doesn’t even ask to be born with this kind of life. And yet I put all blame on that kid and his mother. Now I just realize that. Appa is not replacing or forgetting you. He just need someone he can trust to take care of him. And me. After you’ve gone. I just realize that. How foolish of me. What kind of son am I, omma?*

“Here’s the change” Suga held the change to Hojun who was standing at the door. “Thank you” Hojun took it and bought the pizza they had ordered inside. Suga left and Hojun entered the living room with the pizza.

“Let’s eat, hyung” Hojun pushed his book aside and put the pizza on the coffee table. “Appa and mom told us to eat. They’ll eat outside”

                J-Hope sat across him and started to eat in silence. Hojun joined to eat. J-Hope suddenly fell backward and his back hit the floor. His eyes were already shut.

“Aigo, hyung. Not again” Hojun got up and put aside the remaining pizza in J-Hope’s hand. The little boy struggled to pull J-Hope to lay on the couch. Hojun sat back and sighed. “If he going to doze off often, my backbone will fracture one day” he complained.

“We’re home” Hojun’s parents entered the house and to the living room.

“Appa, mom. Welcome home” Hojun replied. “Omo! He’s falling asleep again?!” Mrs. Jung quickly passed her red coat to her husband. Hojun watched as his mother took a blanket from her room and put it over J-Hope. She completely ignored her son.

“Appa, want some?” Hojun offered some pizza to Mr. Jung. “No thanks. Eat up, Hojun. I’m already full” Mr. Jung smiled. “So you two had been eating just now?”

“Yes” Hojun replied. Mrs. Jung grabbed tissues and wiped J-Hope’s mouth.

“Mom, aren’t you being too nice to hyung?” Hojun turned to his mother. “You’re jealous, Hojun?” his mother smiled and pinched his cheek. “He’s my son after all”

*But hyung had always hated both mom and me* Hojun thought, *I never saw him even respect mom. Why did mom still treat him nicely?*

                Hojun continued to eat.

*Hyung always hated me for being his little stepbrother. He said it’s such a fuss to have a little brother to take care off. Tsk! I can take care of myself!* He recalled J-Hope had to fetch him at the café for a few times. *But I do give him hard times lately*

                He glanced at J-Hope.

*But it’s weird. Lately he hasn’t shout to me for calling him ‘hyung’. All this while he said he’s not my big brother. It’s kind of weird. Wait! He’s acting weird. People say if someone is acting weird, it mean that person is leaving. Forever* He turned to J-Hope. *He’s not dying right?!*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameo appearance

Lee Jeongmin of BOYFRIEND