CHAPTER 2

Walking With You

Jessie J-Flashlight

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

                After locked her apartment, Yerin walked to the subway that was packed with people as it was working day. She stared outside the window. Her mind was disturbed with the dream.

*I wonder if that dream means anything. I used to have precognitive dream though. But falling off the cliff. Does that mean I’ll fall off the cliff one day?!*

                She lifted her head as she heard the announcement of the next station.

*Isn’t that-* her eyes caught a familiar figure. Yerin’s eyes glued to the guy with a dark blue on his head. She could see his dark blue jacket. The guy glanced to the side.

                The door opened and people started to get off the train including the guy.

*He was in my dream!* Yerin rushed out and tried to catch to him. She climbed the stairs up out the subway.

                Yerin stopped her steps and looked around. His figure was nowhere to be seen. She sighed.

*Maybe I’ll find him later. But I know he’s the one that gave me the blue marble in my dream. I know it! I remember his eyes!*

                Yerin held onto the shoulder strap before started to walk.

*             *             *

                A guy was peeking at her from behind of a tree. He walked away.

*             *             *

“Good morning!” Yerin pushed the door of the Andante Café open as she entered cheerfully. “Good morning” the workers replied.

                Yerin wore her brown apron after she kept her belonging into the locker. She took a damp cloth to clean her workplace at the coffee machine.

“Good morning, Yerin” Yesung greeted her. “Good morning, boss” she saluted with a smile. “You’re early today” “I just got up early by chance” “That’s great. If you have any problem, just let me know” “Sure, boss” “Keep up the good work, everyone” he glanced to everyone. “Nae” she nodded.

                The café’s bell rang indicated that someone entered. Yerin turned to the door.

“Taehyung-ah!” she waved. “Hey” V waved back with a small smile. She watched as he walked to the back of the café. *He doesn’t smile bright as always. Something wrong I guess*

*I wonder why he is in my dream?*

“Yerin-ah” V suddenly appeared in front of her that made her jumped in shock. “What the hell! Taehyung-ah!” “Sorry” he chuckled. “I want to ask you something actually”

“Yes. What is it?” “Can you come to a place after work with me? I need someone to talk to” “Sure. You know I’m always there to listen to you” “Yay! Thanks, Yerin!” he pinched her cheeks with a grin. “Taehyung-ah” Yerin pouted. “This one friend of mine can’t really stop doing this to me”

“You’re lucky you know. To have a cool guy like me as a friend all these years” “Yeah right. We both know we sick of seeing each other’s face for years” she teased. “Go do your work now. The café is about to open”

“Alright” V saluted with a broad smile.

                The café was opened as always. Yerin made coffees as always. She glanced at V who was taking the customers’ orders. Two customers made their way forward the café door.

“Irene!” Yerin saw her friend came and sat near the window. Irene and Bogum turned to Yerin and waved. “They’re here again today” Yerin waved back.

“What do you want to eat, Irene, Bogum?” V was taking their orders. “Just tell Yerin to make my favorite” she told V. “What about you oppa?” she turned to her boyfriend.

“Caramel macchiato” Bogum replied. “That’s all for now. Thanks, Taehyung”

“Alright. I better go away now” Taehyung smiled. “Couples in love shouldn’t be disturbed. Just don’t do anything inappropriate okay? There are kids here too” he chuckled and walked to Yerin.

“What the-Taehyung” Irene complained. “It’s great that he left us alone” Bogum held her hands. He gave her the sweetest smile. Her face turned red.

“Irene’s favorite and caramel macchiato” V voiced. Yerin pushed her body off the counter and prepared the orders while V leaned his back against the counter.

“Something is bothering you, right?” Yerin asked as her hands busy preparing the coffees. “What?” he lifted his head as she just woke him from his daydream. “You sure have something in your mind. Your parents again?” “Is it really obvious?” “You had been spacing out all day. Boss asked me to talk to you” “I’ll let you know about it later. Thanks” V took the two mugs as she held it to her. He put the mugs on a tray and walked to Irene’s table.

“Where is the usually bright Taehyung? I bet his problem is huge” Yerin voiced to herself.

                V stepped out of the café and to the café’s mini garden. He grabbed a red watering can and began to water the plants.

*I had been spacing out? I guess I just can’t stop thinking about them* he sighed.

“Are you okay, Taehyun?” Yerin who was watching V with her arms propped on the counter voiced to herself.

“Yerin-ah” Seunghwan leaned towards her. “Omo! You startled me, oppa!” she slapped his shoulder. He bursted into laughter.

“I made my princess angry” he pouted. “I’m sorry” he pinched her cheeks with a smile.

                Yerin smiled at him.

“I didn’t realize you have arrived. You must be tired right? Let me make you some coffee” she turned to the coffee machine. “No you don’t have to, Yerin” Seunghwan made her faced him. “I just want to grab some pastries. I need to work until late tonight. I’m sorry I couldn’t walk you home again tonight”

“No it’s okay, oppa. We can walk together later. It’s not a big deal” she smiled. “I want to hang out with Taehyung today so he’ll walk me home later”

“Hang out? You purposely make me jealous, right?” he smirked. “Yes” she giggled. “Yerin-ah. You’re mine alone” Seunghwan panicked.

“I know. I’m just joking, oppa” she held his hands. “I love you alone”

“I love you too, my princess” he planted a kiss on her hand and smiled.

“Sir, your order is ready” the cashier called Seunghwan over. “Alright” Seunghwan glanced over before looking at Yerin again.

“Give me a sec” he let go off her hands and went to pay the bill.  

                Seunghwan walked to Yerin again with a paper bag in his hand.

“I need to go now. So I’ll text you, okay?” he voiced. “Nae, oppa” she smiled. “Don’t work too hard”

“Alright, my princess. Bye” he waved and walked. Yerin waved and about to turn to the sink when Seunghwan called again.

                Yerin turned to face him only to receive a peck on her lips by Seunghwan.

“Bye” he smirked and exited the café. Yerin smiled shyly alone.

                V who was watching them from outside smiled.

*At least one of us is happy* he sighed. *You should smile too, Taehyung*

*             *             *

“Taehyung!” Yerin called V who was staring into blank space.

“Yeah?” he replied. They were at the loud funfair that night after work. “Stop with your day dream! We’re here to have fun right? Let’s go!” she took his hand and ran to the Viking ride.

“You grab me too tight, Yerin!” V rubbed his right arm as he and Yerin exited the ghost house. He pouted.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I’m too scared” Yerin smiled sheepishly.

“Next! Ferris Wheel!” she pointed to the Ferris Wheel that magnificently lighted with colorful lights and walked ahead. V smirked.

*It’s okay if you’re happy* his eyes went to the long queue to the Ferris Wheel. *Wait! Isn’t that-*

“Yerin-ah!” V tugged her arm and made her turn to face him. “I want to ride Merry Go Round” he cling arm with her and dragged her toward the ride far from the Ferris Wheel.

“I thought you said you really want to go on the Ferris Wheel” Yerin voiced. “No. Maybe later” he smiled.

“Whoa!” her eyes sparkled as they arrived in front of the Merry Go Round. “We haven’ ride this in age right?” he glanced to her at his side. “What are you waiting for? Let’s go!” V shouted as he jumped onto the horse ride.

                Yerin chuckled.

“He was too moody this whole day and now he had lost his mind” she joined V.

*             *             *

“Here” V held out a vanilla ice-cream in his hand to Yerin who was waiting for him at a bench. “Thanks” she took it with a broad smile. “I had been craving for this”

“You always craving for everything, monster Yerin” V teased as he sat beside her. “Calling me that again and you’re dead” she glared. “Chill Yerin” he smirked and patted her cheeks playfully. Yerin leaned back.

“So spill it out” “Spill what?” he looked at her. “That massive problem in your mind. I know you can’t stop thinking about it” she glanced at him. His shoulder fell as he stared into blank space.

“Nothing will change if I ever tell you” “I know. All this while I had been listening to your concerns and nothing happen. I know your problems couldn’t be solve by telling me but” she turned to him. She looked into his eyes. “I can’t stand watching my best friend being all stressed and gloomy”

                He lowered his head, avoiding eye contact with her. She sighed.

“If this matter is too hard for you to talk about, then it must be about your parents”

                With her words, V lifted his head.

“You know about it?” “We had been friends for years. How can I not read your mind?” she smirked. “Tell me. What is it about now? Your parents bicker again?”

“Yeah” he let out a deep frustrated sigh. He looked to the ground. “But this time, it’s worst. Last night my omma went to my Grandma’s. I guess it just me and appa at home until the end of the month. I heard the word ‘divorce’ from my omma last night when they fought. What should I do, Yerin?” his voice trembled. “At this rate, they’ll seriously end up divorce. I can’t let my parents separate. I need both of them in my life”

“Taehyung-ah” Yerin called his name. She sighed. “This is indeed a big mess. But maybe you could do something to make both of them happy together again. Just both of them”

“Both omma and appa happy?” “Yes” she smiled. “You have anything in mind?”

“Uhm..” he pressed his lips into thin line, thinking. “You think I could make them sit together for dinner? Or the three of us going out together?”

“No! Wait!” he suddenly voiced. “I know! I should bring them to visit the places we always visit when I’m still a boy!” his once gloomy face lit up with a broad smile. “They could remember how happy we were as a family long time ago!”

“Yes! That’s the idea!” Yerin cheered and high fived him. “Thanks, Yerin. You always there when I need help” he smiled. She replied his smile and continued to finish her ice-cream. “Aniya. I just help you to solve your own problem”

“Talk about help” V turned to her as they walked home. “Did you ask the police station about the car accident?”

“I did but” Yerin let out a heavy disappointed sigh. She shook her head. “They said they couldn’t find any record of the accident. Maybe I should ask other police stations near here”

“I can go with you there” “Sure. I hope they have at least a bit of information about the accident” “You had been looking for your family for years” “I know. I just can’t stop looking for them although I know both of my parents passed away from the incident. But I have a brother that’s for sure. I’m just not really remember how he looks like or his name. And I’m not sure whether he’s alive or not. I just won’t stop looking for him” she reached out a piece of folded old newspaper from her pocket and stared at it. V took it and unfolded it.

                He held the old fragile newspaper as his eyes trailed every words printed on it. A picture of a car crashed on the front was printed on top edge of the page.

“Have you try looking for your house last address?” he asked. “327” she answered. “What?” “327 times” she looked into his eyes. “I looked into the address and went there for 327 times. Now I’m trying to look for my brother’s address. For the 50th times” she sighed.

“I know you’ll never give up, Yerin” “Never I will” she looked up. Her eyes shimmered with tears but she swallowed the lump.

 

 

 

“Goodbye, Taehyung. Thank you” she stopped and turned to him as they arrived at the apartment. “No. Thank you, Yerin. For listening to my problems” V gave her a smile. “That’s what a friend for. Helping each other out. I can always listen to you. Remember that” she smiled and turned away.

“Yerin” V called and halted her steps. “Yes?” she turned to him.

-Flashback-

                Yerin walked ahead to the Ferris Wheel with joy.

*Wait! Isn’t that-* V who was smiling while watching Yerin paused his steps. His smiles disappeared as he spot a really familiar guy walking hand in hand with an unknown girl not far from Yerin.

                It was Seunghwan, Yerin’s boyfriend. He was all smile to the girl by his side.

*Yerin can’t see this!* V quickly caught up to Yerin. “Yerin-ah!” V grabbed her hand and made her turn to face him.

-End of flashback-

“Taehyung. What is it?” Yerin snapped him out from his mind.

“N-nothing. Good night” he waved. “Good night to you, too” Yerin waved with a smile and left him alone.

                V stared at the asphalt covered road. Silence surrounded him. Cool night breeze blew softly. Some dried dead leaves flew away. And so did his thought. Image of Seunghwan and the unknown female suddenly appeared in his mind.

*Yerin will be extremely depress if she finds out*