Surprise!

The Last Time

“Hye Rin ah, packed your clothes for three days and two night’s trip. I’m taking you to one place.”

“Where are we going?”

“You don’t have to know. It’s a surprise and it’ll be an unforgettable moment for you.”

“Are you planning on something right now?” I looked at him suspiciously.

“Like what? Like taking you to see my parents? Of course not, I have to tame you first before I let you meet them.”

“What? So you think I’m wild? Good, then why do you want to date a wild girl?”

“The problem is that girl stole my heart and wont’ give it back. And I don’t have intention to get it back either.”

Great, he changed into lady’s man lately. “Eww, stop it. I already had goosebumps right now.”

“Should I kiss you then to make the goosebumps disappear?” He raised eyebrows.

“Stop with the kiss too. Alright, I’ll go with you without anymore question. Satisfied?”

“That’s my girl. Okay, I’ll pick you up at seven tomorrow.” He smiled.

I just told him enough with the kiss yet he left after give me a quick kiss on the lips. I gave up trying to stop him. My relationship with Chang Sun runs smoothly during three months since we’re officially dating. He asked me to go trip with him tomorrow but he kept secret about the place. I had bad feelings about this but I hope that my feeling’s wrong. I told Ga In about my plans while we’re watching TV in the living room.

“So I planned to take one day leave tomorrow. Are you okay being alone here?”

She teased me. “If I said I’m afraid to be alone and want to come with you, would you allow me?”

“Uhmmm….”

“I knew it, so cut the crap. By the way, I want to give you something before I forgot.”

She ran to her room and brought back one squared-shape plastic wrap, she handed it to me. I took it from her hand and read the words written on it. I widened my eyes and looked at her.

“You have to consider yourself lucky to not pregnant from your careless action at the first time.”

Ya!”

“What? I’m just telling the truth. You can’t be lucky twice. So bring this, just in case you’re both on fire.”

“Okay, I’ll take it but for your information I won’t give him another chance to do it.” I pouted.

“Are you sure? I see you two can’t take your hands from each other for even a minute.” She teased me again.

“Say that again and I won’t talk to you.”

“Okay,okay. I won’t tease you again. For today.” I looked at her fiercely when she laughed.

As promised, Chang Sun picked me up at seven in the morning. He still won’t tell me where we’re going but I see we’re driving out of town. It looks like he really knew the area, maybe he had been here before then I saw the sign board. Daegu? What are we doing here?

“Chang Sun ssi, what are we doing in Daegu?” I frowned.

“You never come here, have you? We’re gonna spent our holiday here.”

“But shouldn’t you take me to Jeju for instance if you want to spent holiday?” I sensed he hide something from me.

“Trust me. You won’t regret have come here.” He smiled suspiciously.

He kept on driving until he parked in front of a house. I opened the door and look around. This house is located in an elite area because it’s full of big houses along the street included one in front of me. He dragged me to the front door and opened it. We walked through the garden. I was too amazed by the house until I didn’t realize that we’re already gone inside the house and someone greets us at the door.

“Young master, you’re back. Welcome home.”

Young master? Where is he taking me? I looked at him but he pretend didn’t see me and continue talking to this old woman.

“Where’s Abuji?”

“He still hasn’t back from the hospital.”

Omma?”

“She’s in the backyard. I’ll go and call her.”

“No need. We’re heading there. I want to give her surprise.”

I was shocked listening to his conversation. Abuji? Omma? It’s his parent’s house! Yesterday he told me that he won’t take me to see his parents but today here I am, without any preparation and bring anything to them. I punched his left arm and give him fierce look.

“How can you lie to me? You said you won’t take me to meet your parents.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to lie to you but if I told you that I’m taking you here you won’t agree.”

“Of course I don’t agree. We’re just dating for few months and you already taking me to meet your parents. Are you crazy?”

“Who is crazy?”

Suddenly a woman voice joined our conversation. I turned my head and look at a beautiful woman. She’s a little bit younger than my mom, I guess. But her beauty still shine and she smiled to us. I stood still on my place, still stunning with her appearance when Chang Sun moved forward to hug her.

Aigoo, my son finally came to see me. Welcome home. And this must be Hye Rin, welcome dear.”

I was more shocked when she approached me and hugged me. At first, my hands were still hanging beside my body but when she began patted my back. I raised my hands to hug her waist.

“Ni..ce to meet you, Mrs. Lee.” I answered her nervously.

She laughed and released her hug. “Mrs. Lee? Shouldn’t you call me Omonim? I want you to be my daughter-in-law.”

I widened my eyes. She just met me few minutes ago but she already talked about me being her daughter-in-law. Now I know where Chang Sun got his jokes. I looked at Chang Sun and asked him what have he told her about me but he only smiled. I really want to runaway from this house as soon as possible.

Yeobo, I’m home.” A man’s voice came from the living room.

“It’s your father. Come greet him.”

We both walked behind her to the living room. When I see him, I know where Chang Sun got his good looking. His father still looked handsome in his age and when his mother standing next to him, they really are match made in heaven.

Yeobo, look who’s here. Our son and our daughter-in-law-to-be.”

“So, you’re Hye Rin. Good job, son. She looks like your mother when she was young but your mother is still number one for me.” He looked to his wife and kissed her cheek.

What happened with this family? No wonder Chang Sun have such a weird behavior, it’s already on the genes. I took a deep breath. They seem didn’t surprised by my presence here so I guess Chang Sun already told them and planned this trip a long time ago. I’ll get my revenged for this.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Lee.” I bowed 45 degrees.

“Look at her. She also called me Mrs. Lee earlier. Hye Rin ah, you should call my husband Abeonim okay?” She laughed.

“O..okay.”

“I guess they really like you.” He whispered to my ear, I nudged his waist while keep smiling to his parents.

“Good. Now let’s move to the dining room. Ahjumma already prepared lunch for us.” We all walked to the dining room. I took the seat beside Chang Sun.

“Hye Rin ah, I hope the food suits you. I don’t know what your favorite is.”

“I like all kind of foods, Mrs…Omonim.”

“That’s good. But you have to tell me your favorite food so I can cook for you.”

“She likes everything involves chicken.” Chang Sun answered for me.

“Really? That’s my favorite too. I’ll teach you one of my favorite dishes tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Omonim.”

“Your welcome. Honey, why are you so late today?” She asked her husband.

“I had an emergency surgery for a young girl this morning. She had an abortion from an unknown clinic and she bleeds too much. She almost died if her boyfriend didn’t bring her in just in time.”

“I just don’t understand teenage these days. They just followed their passion and didn’t think about the consequences. Young man, I don’t want you to be irresponsible like that. So do it after you got married, got it?” She meant the last words for Chang Sun.

I was drinking when her mother talked to him about that. I suddenly choked and coughing nonstop, he patted my back. I didn’t stare her mother eyes because I feel guilty so I looked at Chang Sun. He gave me his innocent look.

“Hye Rin ah, are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m okay. Don’t worry.” I smiled to her.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you this. I think you have to sleep in Chang Sun’s room because the vacant room here already turned into storeroom.” She talked to me then she looked at Chang Sun. “But that doesn’t mean you share bed with her, young man. You sleep on the couch, you hear me?”

“No problem.” He looked at me and I saw something glittering on his eyes. I know what’s on his mind right now.

It’s already night and time to go bed. We both entered the bedroom and looked to the bed then we switched gaze to each other.

“Don’t ever think about it!” I warned him.

“What? I didn’t think about anything.” He raised eyebrows.

“Liar. I can see in your eyes that you wish I’d invite you to the bed. Dream on! That will never happen.”

“Are you sure? Because I’m pretty sure that before midnight I’ll share the bed with you.”

“You wish! Here, take your pillow and have a good sleep on the couch.” I gave him one pillow and a blanket then pushed him to the couch.

“Goodnight.”

Not long after, I still can’t sleep. Not because of the new place but from the sound he make on the couch. He kept on rolling on the couch and grumble. There were couple times he wake up then get back to sleep then wake up again. I guess the couch’s length didn’t suit with his height so I call him over.

“Chang Sun ssi, come here. I can’t sleep if you grumble like that all night.”

He rise from the couch then walked towards the bed. I move aside and give him enough space. He let out a deep sighed. I think he felt comfortable right now. But I won’t let him happy for too long. I took my pillow and put it between our bodies as a border.

“Don’t be happy too much, I still won’t let you near me so don’t ever think to cross this border.” I pointed my finger to the pillow.

“I’m not the one who does gonna cross but you.” He smirked.

I didn’t answer him and turned around so my back facing him. I tried to keep my sleep position steady all night but my body betrayed me. In the morning, I crossed the border I made last night.

“Morning.” He smiled.

I half opened my eyes and looked at him. I still didn’t realize that our position was so close to each other. Then I widened my eyes when I realized his face was so close and his lips almost touched mine. I looked down and saw my arm curled on his waist and his legs covered mine. I slept on his shoulder for the whole night with his arm as my pillow. Damn! The words I said to him last night were all coming back to me.

“Don’t say a single word!” I turned around and rise from the bed. I don’t want to give him a chance to mock me but he grabbed my hand first and pulled me back to the bed then trapped me under him.

“You look tempting when you’re angry.”

I smiled. He’s about to lower his head and I closed my eyes when suddenly his mother opened the door.

“Chang Sun ah, Hye Rin ah. Did you kids already wake up?”

Great, we’re on the almost kiss position on the bed. Nothing looked worse than caught red-handed in your mother-in-law-to-be house doing forbidden things. I was shocked and immediately rose from the bed, followed by him. His mother didn’t say anything and I can’t read her face too.

“Come down when you’re ready. I’ve prepared the breakfast.” She turned around and closed the door.

“Chang Sun ssi!” I punched his left arm then covered my face with my hands. “I’m dead now. I’ve ruined my image in front of your mom.”

“Don’t worry, she probably gonna blame me for this. You’ll see.”

I rushed to the bathroom and managed to make it to the dining room in 30 minutes together with Chang Sun. His parents are still having breakfast. When his mother saw us, she called me to sit beside her and Chang Sun took the seat in front of her then she looked at him.

“Chang Sun, what did I told you last night about proper ways?” Then she turned to look at me. “Hye Rin ah, he didn’t do something to you did he?”

I looked at Chang Sun and his eyes tell me ‘See, I told you’. I looked back to his mother and shook my head.

“What happened?” His father suddenly asked.

“This morning I found Chang Sun on the bed with Hye Rin and he’s on top.”

“That’s okay, darling. I believe Chang Sun knows the limit. Right, son?”

Ne, Abuji. Thanks for your understanding.”

“Like father like son. You two really look alike. Don’t worry, Hye Rin ah. We’ll defeat them someday.”

We all laughed out loud. His parents are really great, I’m getting used to this family. Chang Sun asked me out after breakfast, he’s gonna take me on city tour. We make a stop on a restaurant for lunch then his face turned serious.

“Hye Rin ah, I think I’m gonna drop the New York offer. I don’t think long distance relationship works on me.”

“No, I won’t allow you to do that. It’s once in a lifetime opportunity and I don’t want you to regret it later. I can’t carry on that responsibility.”

“Are you sure about this? I’ll go for two years, not two days. Can you wait till then?” He frowned.

“I’m okay with it as long as you promised me that you’ll be back.”

“I promised. I’ll propose to you as soon as I get back.” He smiled, I smiled back to him.

We continue our city tour then we go home. I spent the rest of the holiday with so much fun at his parents’ house until it’s time to go back to Seoul. I bid farewell to them and they said to come see them often if I got time. I nodded. Chang Sun was right. It was an unforgettable moment for me. But I never thought that this is the last trip I had with him.