The day that change our lives

The Last Time

"Hye Rin ssi, can you come to my office?" Seung Ho called me from his room.

"Ne." I got up from my chair and leave my desk.

"Close the door and have a seat."

Oh My God, what is going on here? Did I do something wrong? I'm not used to see my boss' face like this. Like something was bothering him all day. I keep on muttering by myself while Seung Ho also busy with his own thoughts. He looks like he wants to say something but then take it back

"Hye Rin ah, I want to ask you something as a friend and not as your boss. Do you like your job? I mean, do you like what you're doing now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing. Just answer me." Seung Ho insisted on getting my answer.

"I like my job and I like my never ending tasks. I feel excited every time the company issued a new product. That means I had to bring out all my abilities to make this new product success in the market. I always like this kind of challenge. That's why I choose marketing."

"And what do you think of me? Are you enjoying working with me?" Seung Ho continues with his weird question.

"Of course I enjoy working with you. You're the best boss I've ever had. You always care for your staffs and never let them work overtime. And you're also my best friend. You always help me through the difficult situation." I smiled at him when I suddenly remember all his kindness to me.

But then I see Seung Ho's expression. He looks restless and his mood was also bad. He doesn't even look at me when I smiled at him. I still not suspect anything from his previous question. But when he asked me the last question, I started to feel weird.

"What do you think about Seoul?" Seung Ho asked me with low voice this time.

"Huh? Seoul? What do you mean?" I frowned when I asked him back.

"Just tell me do you like Seoul or not?" Seung Ho keeps on asking.

"Well, if you're insisted. I don't know because I haven't been there. But from what I heard, Seoul is a city of big opportunity. You can make your dreams come true in Seoul and it really suits for people who care for bigger challenge. What's with all this weird questions from you? I'm sensing that something's wrong here. You better tell me the truth."

I'm curious with his entire questions and with Seung Ho today. He never asked me with weird question like today. As far as I know, his works and his 'undisclosed' relationship with Park Sae Na never affect his mood like this. Wait a minute! I remember when he came to the office this morning, his mood looks so fine but then after the meeting with Big Boss ended, his mood suddenly changed. I wonder what kind of meeting that can changed his mood drastically.

"Hye Rin ah, I don't know how to say this but Big Boss told me that you were transferred to the head office next month." Seung Ho said slowly.

"What? You're joking, right?"

I shocked and almost scream at the news. It can't be true. I want to believe that Seung Ho is playing some prank with me right now but from his eyes and his silence I know that he's not in the mood for this kind of jokes.

"But why? Of all people, why it has to be me?"

"Big boss said that the head office need supervisor." Again, Seung Ho looks at me with regretful expression.

"But as far as I know, they already have a supervisor in Seoul. Why would they add another one?" Even though I know the head office is bigger than here but it doesn't mean that they need two supervisors, right?

Seung Ho takes a deep breath then finally answers my question.

"Okay. Big Boss said to me that the supervisor in Seoul will leave in six months. He will be sent to New York branch for two years and they need someone immediately so that he can transfer knowledge to the new supervisor before he left."

I feel like Seung Ho still had other things to say to me so I just wait in silence.

"And he said that he felt sorry for you if you waste your skills in a small place like this. He wants you to give yourself another challenge outside this place. He said that he sees a great potential inside of you."

"Ah, so that's the reason. But why it has to be me? I believe the other branches also have good supervisors too."

I keep on digging until I get all the information from Seung Ho. Right now, I don't look at him as my boss and I don't care for anything. At some point, I still feel half satisfied with these answers. I can feel that something is not right over here but I don't know what. But I don't blame Seung Ho over this matter. From his expression, I know that he felt shocked too.

"Hye Rin ah, the decision wasn't made only by Big Boss alone but also from the head office as well as other branches. They're not picking you based on lottery. They'd collected all the eligible participants profile from each branch and judging them one by one based on their performance from the beginning in the company. No one from staff level knew about this project. And you're the chosen one." Seung Ho feels guilty after explain this thing to me.

"That means you already knew about this judging things from the beginning but you're not telling me. Not even a single word." This time I can't hold my anger towards him anymore.

"It's because I don't want you to worry about things that even I myself can't ensure the out coming results. Besides, head office instructed us to keep this project as a secret from staff level because they don't want the staffs to speculating and gossiping everyday about who's going to be chosen. Please understand my position, will you?"

I sighed. I'm really speechless right now. I can't even think. It feels like I was forced to leave my 'safety zone' without strength to hold on. Seung Ho looks not better than me. He looks really messed up after delivered this message to me. I want to say that I don't blame him but I don't have the strength anymore.

"Can I leave now? I want to absorb this news alone."

"Oh...okay. Once again, I'm sorry for not telling you about this on the first place." Seung Ho looked really sorry for me.

I stood up and leave the room. I feel like my soul has gone and leave me only the body. I slowly walked towards my desk and threw my body on the chair. I still can't believe at the news Seung Ho told me earlier. With so many supervisors this company had, why it has to be me? Why? I believe they can choose another supervisor who's much better than me. The Big Boss' reasons seems don't make any sense to me.

Once again I sighed and closed my eyes. From the glimpse of my eyes, my staffs were showing some concern face towards me. I guess they must have been thinking that something bad has happened to me in the room. They must be speculating because they never see my face like this. I knew I must be looks like ghost right now. Oh, I don't care about that right now. I just need to calm down myself and slowly digest this Seoul moving things.

It's only 3 o'clock in the afternoon but I felt headache. I told one of my staff that I'm taking sick leave today and immediately turn off my computer. This news really hit me and I feel I can faint at anytime if I don't go home. I managed to catch up a taxi because I don't want to waste more energy on bus.

"Ahjussi, Taesong apartment please." I said my apartment name to the taxi driver with eyes both closed.

It took only twenty minutes by taxi and now I'm already in front of my apartment. The taxi driver woke me up.

"Agassi, we're here. Are you okay? You look pale." The driver uncle frowned at my pale face.

"Yes, I'm fine. Here you are."

I gave him the taxi fare. I don't care about the change anymore. I just want to rest my body in bed as soon as possible. I feel exhausted like I've been running whole day. I managed to lock the front door before I move to my bedroom. I lay my body on the bed while keep rewinding about all things that happen a few hours ago.

About Seung Ho's words.

About my job.

Everything.

I guess I'm really worn out because I fallen asleep only in a few minutes later.

*****

When I woke up, it's already dark outside. I look at the clock on my bedside table. The time now is 6 pm. That means I was slept for two and a half hours. I rise from the bed and heading to the bathroom. I look at my face in the mirror. It's not as pale as before. I guess sleep gave me back my strength.

I walked out from the bathroom and heading to the sofa. I was shocked when I saw Ga In sit there with the TV playing some sitcom but her gaze was empty. And she's still in her work outfit. It's very unusual for her to behave like this. I slowly walked to the sofa and sit beside her.

"Ga In ah, is you ok?" My voice was so low because I'm afraid I could shock her at this moment. I can feel that her body is sit here but her soul is going off somewhere.

"Hye Rin ah, can you pinch my cheek?"

Ga In's gaze still locked in front of the TV but I knew she didn't even pay attention to it. I frowned at her weird request. For just a moment, I forgot my own problem and focus on Ga In's weird behavior. I followed her silly request and pinched her cheek. She only smirks for just a second and then turns back to her previous expressionless face. I can only stare at her with disbelief.

"Hye Rin ah, this isn't real right? I'm only dreaming right now, am I?" Ga In asked me with her shaking voice.

"I don't know what you talking about. Yaaa....Ga In ah, can you tell me what is going on with you?"

I'm really afraid with Ga In's expression right now. She really looks like half dead. I reached for her face with my hands and slowly turned it until we're both face to face. I can see that her gaze slowly coming back to reality and met with my eyes. I tried to comfort her by showing my best smile but I failed. She still looks as pale as before and now she even bows down her head.

"Ga In ah, if you don't tell me what's going on then how can I help you?" I asked her with worried tone. She finally heard my worries and lift up her head.

"Hye Rin ah, this afternoon my boss told me that I'm moving to the head office next month to fill in the empty position of sales supervisor there." Ga In told me with desperate voice.

"What?" I screamed at Ga In's news and suddenly jump off from the sofa as if there's fire underneath it. This time its Ga In's turn to shocked and frowned at my over reaction to her news.

"Unbelievable. It's unbelievable."

"What? What is unbelievable? And what's with that bitter laugh?" Ga In asked me with curiosity.

"You know, I also being told by Seung Ho that I'm moving to the head office next month to replace the supervisor there. It's unbelievable, right?" I answered Ga In's question with forces smile on my face.

"What?" Now it's Ga In's turn to scream at my news with her eyes wide open. She jumped off from the sofa and walks approach my standing place until we're both face to face.

"Tell me you're joking right now." She held my shoulder with her hand and tried to look into my eyes to see if I'm playing some prank with her. We're both have an eye contact for about a minute then she suddenly sighed.

"You're not joking." Ga In said with desperate voice and bows her head down.

"Of course I'm not joking. It doesn't bring any good to me." I stared at her with piercing eyes.

"Okay, let's sit and talk about what's going on with both of us today." Ga In dragged me down with her to the sofa.

We're both sit on the sofa with the TV still on but now it's playing my favorite drama. I look at the TV for just a second and suddenly thought why my life looked like that drama, where the main character can't choose her own path of life. Ga In followed my gaze and she sighed because she knows what I am thinking right now.

"Hye Rin ah, stops comparing yourself with that girl okay? Your life is much better than her. Now, let's get back to our matters here. Tell me, why did Big Boss also transfer you to Seoul?"

"Seung Ho said that I'm gonna replace the supervisor who's going to US in six months. I mean, I just joined this company for three years and now they said I was chosen because of my outstanding performances. Can you believe that?" I'm hysteric right now and I feel headache again.

"Maybe what Seung Ho said was true. You're brilliant, Hye Rin. Why can't you accept that?" Ga In tried to persuade me to accept the reality.

"I knew it but I'm lack in experience, unlike you. Why would they trust me whose newbie in the company to manage the head office? I don't even trust my own ability." I shook my head in disbelief.

"Well, you should convince yourself that you can do it. I know you're an optimistic person and if you want something, you would try so hard to reach for it. Moon Hye Rin, hwaiting!" Ga In trying to build my confidence level with big smile on her face.

"I think you should say that we need to convince ourselves that we can do it. I know that your confidence level is also as low as me. You don't believe in yourself too, right?" I tried to laugh to release my stress a little bit.

"Geez, you knew me too better." Ga In also laughed at my statement.

"Well, I guess we both have to accept the fact that we're the most brilliant people on earth who are capable to reach to the top at young age."

We both laughed at my last statement. I guess we finally can release our stress and start to accept the reality. I don't want to think too much right now. I'll just go with the flow. Maybe it's our fate to move from this city. I'm just gonna focus on how to tell my parents about this.

"Ga In ah, cares for a glass of soju?" I challenged her because I knew she never drink alcohol on weekdays.

"Why not?" She accepted my challenge without second thought. I wonder if she aware this is weekdays and we still has to go to work tomorrow but I guess she's not.

"Great. I'll go buy it while you're taking a bath."

I immediately grabbed the door key and headed to the nearest mini market. I bought 2 bottles because I think tonight Ga In will drink on bottle on her own. When I got home, Ga In already sat on the sofa and watching TV. I joined her on the sofa and give her one bottle. She accepts it immediately and opens the cap. We cheers with our bottle until it make 'ting' sound. We have a little chat while enjoying our soju and watching TV.

Just so you know, our tolerance level for soju is pathetic. Half bottle can make us drunk already. You can imagine what will happen with one bottle. Yes, we're both gonna fall asleep everywhere and ended in wake up on the weird place. I bet we're gonna have a heavy headache tomorrow morning.