Heartbeat

The Last Time

Todays training start at nine. Last night, maybe because I was too happy I forgot to turn on the alarm and we're almost late this morning. When Ga In and I reached the ballroom, I saw Byung Hee waits for us. We walk approaching him and he greets us.

"Morning Hye Rin ssi, Ga In ssi."

"Morning, Byung Hee ssi." I greet him.

"Do you have a good sleep last night?" Byung Hee asked me.

"Too good until she forgot to turn on the alarm." Ga In answered.

"Ya!" I half shouted to Ga In and Byung Hee only smiled.

"Let's go in. The training's almost start." Byung Hee told us.

We walk into the training room and I see the room is almost full. The training participants are coming from all countries and the seats were mixed up between countries. I searched for my name and saw that my seat mate is from Pakistan. I saw Ga In found her seat and her seat mate is from USA. That means I can't chat with her during the training, so boring. I greet my seat mate.

"Hello, my name is Hye Rin Moon from Korea. Nice to meet you." I stretched out my hand.

"Hello, my name is Naveed Khan from Pakistan. Nice to meet you too." He shook my hand.

"How long have you been working at SG?" I asked him.

"Seven years. And you?" He asked me back.

"Three years. Still lack of experiences." I smiled.

"Wow, if you were invited to this training then you must be at least supervisor. That's amazing." He looks surprised.

"Oh, don't say that. Sometimes I feel I don't deserve this position."

"Our company always appreciates people's hard work and they never made wrong choice. You must be outstanding." He smiled.

I only can smile to his praise. Then we both continue talk about our countries and its culture. Later then, the trainers enter the room and that means the training is now begin. I scanned the room and found out that Byung Hee is sitting with Chang Sun. What a great coincidence. I just realize that Chang Sun is looking at me when our eyes meet. We both staring for a few minute until he broke off the connection. I feel there's something different in his eyes when he looks at me, like insulting me. I frown. Did he observe me when I talked and laughed at my seat mate? I don't think so but even if he did, then what's his problem? It's my business.

It's lunch time. We're all moved to the dining room and now the room was crowded and full of chattering. I found Ga In and we're queuing to get the food. After take the food, we're heading to the empty table and sit. I saw Byung Hee found me cause now he's heading to my table. And as always, Chang Sun also comes with him. They sat beside me.

"How's the training?" Byung Hee asked me.

"Interesting, I don't fell bored at all. I can't believe our company can invent such thing like that."

"Me too, I was told about this thing a few days before training but I didn't expect it to be like this. It's beyond my expectation."

"By the way, how come you can sit with Chang Sun ssi? I see all participants were mixed up." I asked him.

"I ask Chang Sun to move with me because I want to discuss about Haesin project. Why? Do you also want to switch seat?"

"No, that's okay. I enjoy sitting my new friend from Pakistan." I smiled. I feel Chang Sun's gaze again on me but I ignore it.

"Ga In ssi, can I steal Hye Rin tonight for a while? I want to take her out for dinner." Byung Hee suddenly asked Ga In.

"Of course, you can steal her as long as you want. You also don't have to return her to me if you don't want to." Ga In laughed.

I glared at her.

"I won't do that. I will return her to you in complete condition." Byung Hee also laughed at Ga In's jokes.

"You two are talking like I'm not here." I pouted, the only person who doesn't laugh only Chang Sun.

"Okay, let's go back. Session two is almost starts."

We all moved back to the training room. This session is gonna last until five pm. Then after the training ends, we go back to our rooms. I take a bath first cause I got a date with Byung Hee. This can be considers as our second date. When I finished, Ga In told me that a few minutes ago Byung Hee called.

"Hye Rin ah, Byung Hee told me that he can't go together with you cause he got something to do first. But he waited for you at the swimming pool near the chapel."

"Chapel? This hotel has a chapel?" I shocked.

"Yeah, I just know from Byung Hee too. Can you go there alone?"

"Of course, I can ask for direction in case I'm lost." I laughed.

"Okay, be careful."

I get dressed, put on my coat and grab my card key. I'm gonna ask for the direction from the front desk. At the front desk, the receptionist tells me the direction. She said just go straight from the café then turn right. I thank her and heading to the direction. When I turn right after the café, I see the path divide into two. I think the receptionist forgot to tell me to turn right or left here and the sign board here makes me confused. So I used my instinct and I choose to turn left.
I walked along the corridor and I turned left again after that. I opened the door at the end of the corridor and I didn't found what I'm looking for. I ended up in the backyard. Its seven pm now and the sky is getting dark. The outdoor lamps here were so dim I can't see too clearly. I was planning to get back to the receptionist when I see someone standing in the middle but I can only see his back. I better ask the direction from him and if I'm lucky enough, he can walk me there. So I walk approached him.

"Excuse me, I'm kinda lost here. Can you show me the way to the swimming pool near the chapel?"

He turned around and my eyes widened. It's Chang Sun.

"Oh, Chang Sun ssi. What a coincidence. What are you doing here?"

"What do you want?" He asked me back.

"Uhm, I was looking for swimming pool near the chapel but I think I'm lost. Can you show me the way?"

"Why do you think I would do that?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" I frowned.

"I said why do you think I would show you the way?"

I shouldn't ask him. I'm getting on my nerves every time we talk. I still can't figure out until now why he hates me so much since the first time we met. Even a simple favor like this can make him pick a fight with me. This man really needs a brainwash.

"Fine. I'll search for myself." I almost turn around when he talk to me again.

"How come he gets interested in you?"

"What? Who are you talking about?"

"I'm just curious why hyung so interested in you." He smirks.

"Hey, I'm not a mind reader here. How could I know about that? Besides, what's your problem? It's Byung Hee's choice to like me or not."

"I know what kind of girl he usually dates and you're not on the list. Are you casting a spell on him?" His tone becomes more cynical.

Spell? Okay, this man's words have going overboard now and I can't take it. I decide to answer yes to his question only to make him satisfied and then I can leave. But the result is the opposite.

"You're right. I cast a spell on him. Why? Don't like it?" I'm fed up now.

"I knew it. Because I don't see anything good from you that could attract him."

"What do you mean by that?" I clenched my fist.

"You don't get it? Okay, I'll explain it to you. First, you're clumsy and source of trouble. Everything will be messed up when you're around."

My emotion meter up 1 level.

"Second, you have short-term memory. How can people live with that?"

Up.

"Third, you're not pretty. Unlike the other girls hyung usually dates, I can't believe he interested in you."

Up.

"Fourth, how come you reach supervisor position with only 3 years experience? Did you do something with your manager back in Busan?"

He began to insult my friend.

"And fifth, you befriended with Ga In whose personality like gangster. Harsh and like to interfere with other people's business. And you almost follow her steps."

Okay. The emotion meter is now full and I'm ready to explode. I'm still okay when he insults me but I can't take it when my friends also included, Seung Ho and Ga In. He's only the outsider but he acts like he knows everything about me and my friends.

"Are you done talking?"

"Why? Do you want me to continue? Or you want to punch me right now?" He smirked after looking at my clenched fist.

I really hate his smirks and I want to punch his face right now. So I raised my clenched fist and prepared to barge onto him. But because of less light in the backyard and I'm in emotional state, I didn't see there’s small rock blocking my way. I step on it and loss my balance. I could hardly hit the ground if he didn't grab my hand. It happens so fast that we both didn't realize that we're hugging each other now.

My hands were on his chest and his hands on my waist. If someone looks at us in this position, they would think that we’re hugging and not fighting. We're both at shocked condition that we're just looking at each other in the eyes. I swear the moment only last for few minutes but it feels like hours. We're standing face to face and did not move an inch. Suddenly I heard thumping sound from inside my chest and my heart beating fast. I feel my cheeks hot. What is it? What happen to me? It wasn't supposed to be like this.

"Hye Rin ssi, here you are."

*****

Hye Rin would love this. This idea comes to me this morning and I try my best to prepare this whole day. I asked the hotel restaurant to set up a table for two near the swimming pool. I want it to be a romantic moments between me and Hye Rin. She should be surprised with this. That's why I told her to come alone to this place so I can see her face when she saw all this.

I told Ga In that I wait Hye Rin here at seven o'clock but until now she hasn't show up. I've been waiting her for twenty minutes. It shouldn't take this long walking from her room to here, unless she's lost. I decided to go to her room, maybe she isn't ready yet. I pressed the door bell and waited for a while. Ga In opened the door and looked surprise.

"Oh, Byung Hee ssi. What are you doing here? Don't you have an appointment with Hye Rin?"

"Yes, but she hasn't showed up till now." I frowned.

"But she's already left here about...thirty minutes ago. Did something happen to her?" Ga In started to look worried.

"I think maybe she's just lost around here. Don't worry, I'll go search for her. I'll call you when I found her."

I immediately walked to the elevator, heading to the receptionist. I asked them if there's someone asked about direction to the swimming pool and they said a woman asked them earlier. They told the lady the direction and she just go follow it. I try to follow her path. After turn right from the cafe, she should take the right path again to reach the swimming pool. She must be taking the left path, so I turn left and left again after that.

I saw a door at the end of the corridor, I walk towards it. Maybe she's there, I thought. I opened the door and I saw this is the backyard with the view to the sea. I step in and I see Hye Rin. I was about to call her when I see she's not alone. She's with Chang Sun and they're hugging. They were looking at each other so intensely until they didn't aware someone’s coming. Her hands are on Chang Sun's chest and his hands are on her waist. I watch them from afar.

I don't get it. They hate each other like cats and dogs but the view in front of me tells the opposite, Chang Sun even questioning me for going out with Hye Rin. I know it's early to say that I'm jealous right now but I feel something weird with my heart. Seeing them like this makes my heart aches, a brand new feeling that I've never felt before. I took a deep breath and decide to approach them.

"Hye Rin ssi, here you are."

Hye Rin shocked when she heard my voice. Their eye contacts immediately broke off. I think they're back to reality and realized what they're doing cause suddenly they cut off the body contact. She touched her cheeks before she turn her head facing me. Chang Sun also looked at me.

"Byung Hee ssi." She forced her smile.

"Hyung, when did you come?" Chang Sun asked me.

"Just a moment ago, I was looking for Hye Rin."

"I'm lost and ended up here. Let's go, Byung Hee ssi. I'm starving."

She's a little bit hurried when she grab my hand and walking, leaving this place. I said goodbye to Chang Sun and followed her. I won't ask her about what happen in the backyard, I'll let her speak out the truth first. We're both silent while walking along the corridor to the swimming pool. I see she frowned a couple times, busy with her own thoughts. I let her be. Meanwhile, I call Ga In and told her I found Hye Rin.

Arrived at the swimming pool, she's a little bit surprised. She is smiling now. The lights from the chapel were so contrast with the swimming pool. I told the waiter to light on the candles. It'll be our first candle light dinner. I smiled to her.

"Byung Hee ssi, it's so beautiful."

"Come, let's sit."

I pulled the chair for her and after she sits, I walked to my chair. I gave sign to the waiter to bring out the food. While we're eating, she suddenly brings up the incident in the backyard.

"Byung Hee ssi, about what happen in the backyard. It's not like what you think."

I looked at her.

"The truth is I was lost when I was looking for this place and ended up in the backyard. At first I didn't know Chang Sun was there and I asked for help. But as usual, we had an argument. Actually, I want to punch his face but I didn't saw a small rock blocking my way and I step on it. I almost hit the ground and Chang Sun immediately grabbed my hand. It happened so fast and suddenly we're hugging each other."

I keep silent. She looks worried.

"I didn't mean to defend myself but that's exactly what happened. I'm sorry."

She didn't dare to stare my eyes. I put down my napkin and stood up, heading to her seat. I take her hands and pull her up from the chair until we're face to face, her face still look down. I put my hand on her chin and lift up her face until her eyes met mine. Her eyes still look worried. I smiled to her.

"Hye Rin ssi, I didn't accuse you for what happen back there. It's enough for me that you want to explain it. You don't have to feel guilty. Now, I want you to smile."

"Byung Hee ssi...." She finally smiled.

"Good, let's continue our dinner. We still have the dessert on the waiting list."

We finish our dinner at 9.30 and because we still have another training tomorrow morning, I send her back to her room. In front of her room, I take her hands and make her facing me.

"Hye Rin ssi, once again I told you that I'm not angry about what happen in the backyard so remove that thoughts from your head. And thank you for coming to dinner with me. Good night." I kissed her forehead.

She looks more at ease. I waited until she go inside and back to my room. While walking along the corridor, I can't erase the image between her and Chang Sun in the backyard. My brain telling me that it was purely an accident like she said but my instinct says it was more than that. I can feel the chemistry between them. I can't interrogate Chang Sun right now cause he's gonna say the same thing with Hye Rin and he wouldn't confess if he had feeling for her. I'll just wait and see how this triangle relationship gonna end.

*****

I leaned my body behind the door. The incident in the backyard this evening up my energy. I don't understand why my heart would race like that when I was in Chang Sun's arms. His eyes and his body scent makes me paralyzed. I should've punched him when he hugged me like that but I ended up enjoying his hug. I walk slowly to my bed. Ga In frowned at me.

"Hye Rin ah, where did you go after you left here? Byung Hee was looking for you cause you didn't showed up."

"Oh, I was lost. But he found me."

"Are you okay?"

"Hmm, I'm okay. I just feel a little bit tired. I'll go wash first." I left Ga In with worried look still on her face.

In the bathroom, I sit beside the bathtub. While filling it with warm water, the memory of Chang Sun and I hugging were back. I can't tell Ga In about this matter cause she's gonna accuse Chang Sun for doing this intentionally and she wouldn't hear any explanation. I better kept this secret from her. I step into the warm water inside the bathtub, hoping to get some good sleep tonight.