Saranghae

The Last Time

"Ga In ah, I'm coming back this Saturday. Eight pm flight from here. Please don't tell anyone about this but you can bring Sang Hyun if you need company."

"Okay, are you coming back with your parents?"

"No, I'm alone. They want to spend a little bit longer here. So, see you there. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone. Finally, it's time to go back to Korea. At first, I was intent to stay for a week here but since there are so many things need to prepare for my sister's funeral, the plan changed into two weeks. When I arrived here two weeks ago, I still can't accept that my sister has gone. My father, who picked me up at the airport trying to look strong in front of me but I know he cried deep inside his heart. We're going home now. They already brought her home and we're having a requiem this morning. My dad parked the car in front of the house but before I went it, he said few words to me.

"Hye Rin ah, try not to look so vulnerable in front of your mother cause she needs you right now. She was hysteric when she knew your sister passed away and collapsed yesterday. Even though she looks fine now but I want you to look after her while you're here. She hasn't been able to sleep or eat since yesterday. Your oppa and I already persuade her but she won't listen to anyone, maybe she will listen to you. Go in, I know you miss your sister." He patted my shoulder.

Right, I miss my sister so much but I'm afraid I won’t be able to control myself when I see her. I walk slowly through the door. I see my brother and his wife sit on the sofa with my mom between them in the living room. They tried to comfort my mom which still crying up to now. The room already full with the relatives and neighbors. Then I walked approach the coffin placed on the center of the room, my brother-in-law were standing on the side, caress my sister face in silent. I looked at her, she wears a white dress and her hands hold a white rose. She looks so beautiful and peaceful. My tears falling down, I touch her cold hand.

"Unni, your little sister has come. You're so mean, you know that? How can you leave me like this?"

I touched her face, I can never see her bright eyes and lovely smile on her face again and I can never hear she called me little sister. I'm gonna miss her so much. The requiem is start now after all family members are complete. When it's my turn to give last speech, I can't help myself for not crying. I can see that my mom cried too on her seat and so does my brother-in-law. After the requiem ends, the coffin then moved to the car to go to the cemetery. We all decide to bury her here because the process to move the body to Korea takes a lot of time, we can't wait any longer.

The days seemed moving so slow. My mom is calm down now but she sometimes cry if she saw my sister's clothes or belongings. If she cried, I also can't control my tears. My brother had to back to China first cause he only took leave for one week. I decide to stay one more week or until everyone in this house has stabilize their emotion. My mom always cry everyday, sooner or later she'll get sick and I don't want that happen. I see my dad also become older these few days and my brother-in-law can stare to my sister's photo for hours. I can't even eat properly for the first few days. Furthermore, the baby has been brought back home and I had to take care of him. Of course my mom also helped me but every time she looked at him, she'll remember my sister and she started to cry again. My energy really drained up taking care of them.

One day, my mom came to my room and sit on the bedside. I was looking at the magazine after feeding the baby. She took my hand and patted it.

"Hye Rin ah, I know how you've work hard in this house looking after us. I know that we're all still can't accept the loss. I want to thank you for trying to keep our sanity but your place is not here and you can't continue taking care of us like this. You also have life in Seoul and I don't want you to sacrifice yourself because of us. Go back, I can handle things here. I can took care those two men and a baby." She smiled to me. I can't help but smile too

"Thank you, Omma. But promise me you'll let me know if you need anything."

"Sure. Now, go to sleep and start looking for ticket first thing in the morning."

So, here I am. Going to the airport with my dad, I got eight pm flight. I informed Ga In as soon as I got the ticket but I told her not to tell anyone about this. I want to be alone for few days and take a rest. When my dad dropped me, I took his hand from my luggage and hold it

"Appa, contact me if you and Omma are going back to Seoul. I'll pick you up, okay?

"Okay, now go inside. Take care." He kissed my forehead then I took my luggage and wave to him

I went to the check in counter then walk to the waiting room. While I was sitting in the waiting room, I'm thinking. These two weeks has drained up all my energy, both mentally and emotionally. I'm not as emotional as I came first but still there were times when I remember my sister, my tears will falling down. And I just notice that only Ga In and Byung Hee who always texting me, I never received text message from Chang Sun. I took a deep breath. Maybe he's just too busy. I hope everything will be back to normal when I arrived at Seoul

When I arrived at Incheon airport, I see Ga In at arrival gate but she's not with Sang Hyun but Byung Hee. Did I tell her not to let anyone know except Sang Hyun? She better give good explanation about this. I walked approach them and she hugged me tightly.

"Hye Rin ah, I miss you so much and I’ll explain about this later. You look thinner." She knew I'm gonna angry with her about Byung Hee.

"Okay, you better give good reason about this." I whispered back to her then turned to Byung Hee. "Byung Hee ssi, I'm surprised to see you here."

"Yeah, Ga In asked me yesterday if I want to come with her to pick you up."

"That was so kind of her, right?" I looked at her with threatening eyes. She put on an innocent face.

"Come, let's go home. You must be tired." Ga In grabbed my arm and dragged me along with her. Byung Hee smiled.

I asked Byung Hee to come in when we arrived at the apartment. I told them what happened in California these 2 weeks and I asked Byung Hee about the projects that I left here. He said that Chang Sun and Sang Hyun took over it and some of it has finished. But he told me new projects waiting for me at the office. I'm not surprised.

"Morning, everyone."

I greet all the staffs in my department on Monday morning after two weeks absent from the office. They were all so happy to see me especially Hee Soo and Sang Hyun. I miss them too. I see Chang Sun were on his desk so after few words with them, I walk to his desk.

"Morning, Chang Sun ssi."

He didn't answer me, instead he gave me cold looks then he look back to his computer. I thought he'd be happy seeing me again. Did I do something wrong to him? He was so gentle to me the last time we met before I go to States but now the attitude change 180 degrees. Did something happen here while I was gone? I keep questioning his changing attitude in my mind while walk back to my desk.

A week has passed and he keeps acting like that. I can't stand it anymore. I need to know the reason why he changed like that. But every time I try to speak with him alone, there's always someone or something disrupt us until one night, I finally saw him standing alone at the road side waiting for taxi. I run to him.

"Chang Sun ssi, wait. I want to talk to you."

He keep looked at the street and pretend not hear me. I move to the side street and stand in front of him. He looked at me for a while and then answered me.

"What do you want?" His voice is so sarcastic.

"Why do you change back to the old you? You were not like this the last time we met." I frowned.

"I don't want to discuss about this on the street. Go home."

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what’s going on here." I insist to get the answer now.

"Fine, if that's what you want. You should ask yourself who gives you the right to step on two boats at the same time." He raised dark brows.

"What do you mean?" I scowled at him.

"Don't pretend. I was right when I said you're good at acting pure and innocent. It's your camouflage to make all men falling for you then you play with their hearts."

"I still don't get what you say."

"Okay, let me ask you this. What do you call a woman who's inviting a man to sleep beside her because she was scared but haven't passed twenty-four hours already received a kiss from another man?"

Now I get it, he referred to the moment when Byung Hee kissed my forehead before I took off. But he makes me feel like a when he talked like that. I can't accept it. He always jumped into conclusion without hear the explanation. I stared at him for several tense seconds.

"What? Do you already know the answer or should I say it for you?"

"You—"

My hand automatically raised up to slap him but he already grabbed it before it reached his face. He shook his head and smirk while talked to me.

"Good girl shouldn't use her hand so casually to slap people. Ah, I forgot. You're not a good girl, do you?"

"Let me go!" He still held my hand.

"No way, you'll try to slap me again if I let go."

"Screw you! At first, I want to tell you that I had no more feeling towards Byung Hee but you already jump into your own conclusion. I guess I made a wrong choice this time. Maybe I should choose Byung Hee instead of you. At least he never make me cry like you did and he never say harsh thing about me. Congratulations, you're free now. This is going to start chasing Byung Hee."

I can't hold my tears any longer but I don't want him to see it so I use all my strength to released my hand from his grip and turn around. I wiped the tears away impatiently as I walk crossing the street but because my eyes were blurred from the tears and didn't pay attention to the traffic light, I didn't see that it's already green light for the car. I crossed the street without realizing that one truck is coming to me with high speed. The truck tried to warn me with the light and honking but I didn't hear it. It's almost too late when I finally realized the truck is so closed to me then I feel my body was pulled back by someone.

*****

I knew my words are too harsh for her but I can't restrain myself. I was annoyed by the memory of hyung kissed her forehead at the airport and she seemed okay with it. And when she came back, she acted like nothing happen. So I try to shield myself by saying those words to her but her last words shocked me. If she said that she had no more feelings for hyung, that mean she chose me right? I was still stunning by her words when she trying to release her hand from my grip. I didn't see where she went until I heard truck's horn honking along the way. That's when I realized she’s crossing the street when it's still green.

I ran to her like crazy and manage to grab her hand and pulled back her body just in time. She landed on my hug, too shocked to say anything for few minutes then she start struggling under my arms.

"Let me go!" She screamed. I let her go.

"Are you trying to kill yourself?" I shouted to her.

"What do you care? I've set you free, what else do you want from me?" She shouted back to me.

I can't control myself when I remember I almost lost her forever few minutes ago so I pulled her body to mine and put my hands. One on her waist and the other on the back of her neck then kiss her. At first she closed her lips tightly and start punched my chest but I won't give up so easily. I keep on persuade her until she stop punched me and soften her lips. When I realized she gave up, I increased the intensity of my kiss. I kiss her gently and persuade her to part her lips then I slipped my tongue into . She looked shock at first but I continue kiss her while caress her neck. She gave a soft sigh then moved her hands to my waist to cling on it.

I have no idea how long we kissed on the road side until I feel something wet on my head. Suddenly it's raining so heavily that make us break off the kiss and covered our head with hands while trying to stop a taxi. Luckily, someone drop off from the taxi near our standing spot so I grab her hand and hop in but alas, we're still wet from head to toe. I told the driver my apartment address. The rain in the winter season made us chilled more than usual. I saw she shivered on the corner so I told the driver to increase the heater temperature then I pulled her body to mine. I hugged her and rubbed her arm to stop the trembled.

I still hug her when the taxi arrived at my apartment and I took her up. I placed her on the sofa while I get her new clothes. I took the blue t-shirt she used before and a towel. I give it to her and lead her to the bathroom. After I'm done with her, I went to the kitchen and make some tea. I need to changed my clothes immediately too or I'll catch a cold tomorrow so I went to my room and changed. I took my towel and place it on my head, drying my hair. She walked out from the bathroom at the same time I walk out from my room. If she looked tempting when she used the clothes for the first time, she looked more seductive now with her wet hair and I'm sure she doesn't wear anything under that shirt. Okay, I'm getting hot on the inside right now. We're both look at each other for seconds then I took her hand and bring her to the dining room.

I placed her on the chair and give her a cup of tea. She drink it without any question, I realize she haven't said anything since I kissed her on the street. Well, I guess it's time to clear things between us. Starting from what she said about her feelings towards Hyung. It's so tiring to always argue with her.

"Hye Rin ssi, let me—"

"Why did you kiss me?"

"—ask you first. When we argued on the street, is it true when you said you have no more feelings for hyung?" I continued finish my words.

"I don't want to answer that."

I stood up from the chair. "Answer me, dammit! You'll make me crazy if you continue behave like this."

She stood up from the chair too. "I'm the one who's going crazy first because of your mood changing. One day you act so gentle and the next day you act like a jerk. Which one is your true personality?"

"You wanna see my true personality? Let me show you."

I walked across the table and grabbed her hand. She lost her balance due to my sudden action and bumped me. I put my hand on her waist and lock her body to mine. She looked at me bravely.

"I'm not scared of you." She bursted out angrily.

"Really? We'll see."

I moved my hand from her arm to her neck then I bent down my head and kiss her. She sealed her lips tightly and refused to participate on the kiss. Well, I'm not a person who give up so easily so I keep on persuade her with my lips. I rained soft kisses over her face then I move down to caress her neck. I give her gentle kiss on her neck and caress them with my hand then I get back to her lips.

"Open up for me, sweety."

I seduced her while still kissed her lips. At first, the kiss is a punishment to her for challenged me but when she finally parted her lips and kiss me back, I know I'm completely lost. The kiss changed from being charged with anger to instead. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I felt my breath suspend somewhere inside me as she molded her body to mine and pressed to me. She pulled away for a second to take a breath.

"Chang Sun ssi, I—"

"Sshh, don't say anything. Just feel it."

I captured again in a kiss that became as desperate as it was passionate. I don't know who initiates first but we move from the dining room to the bedroom with our lips still clinging to each other. We keep on walking until her knees reached the bedside and she fall on the bed. She pushed her body further to the center of the bed while grabbed my t-shirt and dragged me down along with her. We both completely lost our mind right now. I placed my hands on either side of her face and with one hand as a support. I move the other hand to caress her thigh. I begin to move up my hand along her thigh when her hand suddenly stopped my action from going further. I looked at her and held her gaze.

"Can I?"

She didn't say a word. For a second she just looked at me then she nodded. I pulled away long enough to tug my t-shirt upward, over my head and arms and throw it to the floor then I bent down my head to kiss her again while my hand continue working with her thigh. She was also busy caress my chest and abs with her hands. Her action makes my head swim in frenzy of desire and my blood pumped faster, hotter. I tugged the buttons of my jeans and in seconds, the jeans joined my t-shirt on the floor then I lower my body to her, she wrapped her legs around my waist. I kiss her again before we finally drowned and swept away by the passion.

Sometime later, I opened my eyes and realized there's someone slept beside me. I'd never thought that I'd making love with her. She lay on her side with the warm and smoothness of her back pressed against my chest. I pulled up the blanket to cover her body. She moved a little bit then turned around facing me. I lifted her head and placed it on my arm. She shoved her head deeper to my chest then I curled my arm around her waist.

"Saranghae." I kissed the top of her head and get back to sleep.