Can I still hate him?

The Last Time

Three days and two nights in Tokyo left me so much memory, with Byung Hee and Chang Sun. I want to erase the memory with Chang Sun but it keeps on coming back. After the incident in the backyard, I was confused on how to act in front of him but he's back to his usual behavior and act like nothing happen. This time I'm really thankful to him cause if not, it will awkward between us and Ga In will sense something's wrong. But Byung Hee knew the incident and I can't look at him as I usually did. I feel guilty but I didn't show it.

There's already a bunch of works awaits for us when we back to Korea plus lately the Company received so much project that we’re almost can't handle. Both Chang Sun and I always work overtime and still can't finish it. During these days, he never offers to take me home. A few days later, I fell sick. Maybe because exhausted from the trip and several days of overtime work, my body can't handle it anymore. I got fever and can't rise from bed. I told Ga In to give message to Byung Hee that I'm taking sick leave for few days.

In the afternoon, I feel a little bit better after taking medicine. I walk to the bathroom to wash my face and look on the mirror, still pale. I walk out and heading to the sofa, trying to get some entertainment by watching TV. I was watching drama when I heard Ga In's voice at the front door and she's talking to someone.

"Please come in. I think she's still lying on the bed. Her fever's still high when I left her this morning."

"Thank you. I'm just gonna see her for a while."

That voice!

It's too late for me to move because they already reach the living room. I was caught red-handed sitting on the sofa watching drama while still wearing pajamas. The three of us were shock at each other but then Ga In start laughing and follow by Byung Hee. They both laughed at my shock expression.

"Hey, I'm a patient here. There's nothing funny about it. And I'm still sick." I pouted at them.

"Sorry, Hye Rin ah. We just can't stand not to laugh, looking at your expression. You looks like have been caught red-handed doing something bad." Ga In laughed out loud. Byung Hee only smile.

"How can I not be shocked when you brought Byung Hee here without telling me? I'm messed up here."

"Hey, he didn't even complain. Why would you? Byung Hee ssi, please sit. I'll bring you drinks." Ga In heading to the kitchen.

"Do you feel better?" Byung Hee sat beside me and lifted his hand to touch my forehead. I step back a little bit.

"Much better, but I think you better sit a little bit far from me. I didn't take a shower today and I don't want you to get infected because of me." I tried to move but he held me on my place.

"Hye Rin ah, I don't care if you're take a shower or not. You're sick so it's acceptable. And don't worry. I'm not that easy to get infected by others. Come here." He dragged me to sit closer to him.

"Here comes the drink....Oops, I'm sorry. I didn't know you two were busy." Ga In teased me.

I shocked when Ga In bring in the drinks while Byung Hee still hugging me. I tried to free my body from his hand but he holds me tighter. I whispering to Byung Hee to release me but he pretend didn't hear it. I can only smile desperately to Ga In and she laughed, these two peoples really having fun teasing me.

"Oh, I forgot I have to go to the supermarket. We're almost run out of food here. Byung Hee ssi, I leave Hye Rin with you. Take your time, no need to rush. Maybe I'll come back a little bit late. Bye." Ga In immediately grabbed her coat and flew through the door.

I knew it. She intentionally left me here alone with Byung Hee by pretending we're run out of food. Our freezer is still third quarter full. And I think Byung Hee knows too because he smiled at me. I feel awkward now. We haven't been this close since the incident in Japan. Byung Hee accompanied me until Ga In back at nine pm. I feel bad for keeping him till this late. I sent him to front door, he promised to come again tomorrow. I told him not to but he insists. I gave up. I just hope that I feel better tomorrow so he doesn't have to come. After he left, now it's time to confront Ga In.

"Ya! How could you leave me alone like that?" I shouted to her.

"Hey, I'm giving you time to be alone with him. Something happen while I was gone?" She teased me.

"Nothing happen, I won't allow him near me while I'm sick."

"Who knows? Something usually happen when a man and a woman alone in a room." She smiled widely.

"You ert." She laughed out loud. I left her and walked to my room.

I start to work again after 2 days sick. Yesterday, Byung Hee came again to my apartment just as he promised before. And again, Ga In left me alone with him. That girl really makes me crazy. I just sit on my chair when Chang Sun stood in front of me.

"Hye Rin ssi. Next time, if you're planning on getting sick make sure you have finished your entire task. Yesterday, Director Kim asked about Haesin's revised budget and I had to finish it for you."

Great, first day working after sick and he start a fight with me in the morning. How can I plan my sick? Am I God or something? This man becomes more unreasonable lately. I stood up from my chair.

"How can I plan my sick? Besides, you can ask for Sang Hyun or Hee Soo's help. They’re also part of the team. Why it has to be me?"

"You're the one who responsible for the budget section. If I asked for their help, I had to teach them again and wasting my time."

"But you can email me the file, I can work at home."

"It's useless now. I can't believe they give me people like you, sick because of little pressure."

"You're also human and someday, you'll get sick too. And don't blame me for not telling you this." I get back to my seat and continue working.
I guess my words to him like a spell cause a few days later I didn't see him at the office. I thought he went to the client's office but then Sang Hyun informed me that he's sick. It's so peaceful here when he’s not around. But deep inside my heart, I feel something missing. I don't know what it is but I think I don't like it.

One morning, Sang Hyun approaches my desk and sits in front of me. He looks confused.

"Hye Rin ssi, can you help me?" He begged.

"What is it?"

"Uhm...I have finish the revision for Haesin project and I need Chang Sun hyung's sign on it cause Director Kim and Byung Hee hyung want to see it today. I really want to go but I can't cause I have a meeting at the client's office now and Hee Soo has to go to other client as well. Can you go to his apartment? I already called him this morning that someone will come."

What? Go to Chang Sun's apartment? I took a deep breath. If it's not because I want to repay for Sang Hyun's kindness, I would reject it.

"Okay, give me the document." I smiled.

"Thank you so much." He smiled back.

I took the document and heading to the front gate. I just hope that this mission is success without a fight. I stop a cab and give the address to the driver.

*****

Shoot! I hate being on this state. It's been two days I'm lying on the bed, the fever's still won't go and my head's keep spinning. I can't even walk too far. Her word is like a spell to me. I better go to sleep and not think about her. I was fallen asleep for few minutes when I hear the door bell ringing. It must be the person who brings the document from Sang Hyun. I rose from my bed and walked slowly to the front door. My head start to spinning again, I had to stop for a moment. I walk again until I reached the front door and open it. Moon Hye Rin. What is she doing here?

"Hye Rin ssi, what are you doing here?" I tried not to look sick in front of her.

"I won't be here if not because Sang Hyun ask me for favor. He needs your sign today for the revision."

"Come with me."

I took her to the living room. At first she looks hesitate but then she follows me. She sits in front of me and her eyes scanning my apartment while I read the document. I tried to read but the words in the document looks blur. I have to shake my head a couple times. I guess she knows what I'm doing but I pretend nothing happen. Then she continues observe my apartment.

"So, how does it feel for being a human and get sick?"

I didn't answer her.

"Do you plan on getting sick now? Cause I see you look okay, no sign from sick people."

"Are you finished with your talk? I'm done with the document. You can go now." I handed her the document.

"With pleasure."

She grabbed the document from my hand and stood up, walking towards the front door. I slowly stood up from my chair and follow her. My head's spinning again. I put my hand on the wall while walking towards the front door. I almost can't handle the headache, it's getting worse now. I close my eyes. She suddenly turns back facing me.

"No need to send me off. Good gracious— Chang Sun ssi!"

When she said that, I know I've reached my limit. The view in front of me becomes blurring and I drop to the floor. I heard she shouted my name and after that blank. I fainted.

*****

I feel someone hold my body from dropping to the floor, she tried to make me hold onto her and walk with her. She ask me my bedroom, I pointed to the room in front of the living room. In the room, she slowly put me down to bed and covers me with blanket. She touched my forehead and shock

"Your fever is so high. Do you have any medicine here?"

She didn't wait for my answer and just walking to the kitchen, start looking for paramedic box. She came back a few minutes later with no result.

"How come you don't have any drug fever in this house?"

"Just go." It's getting heavier for me to breathe.

"I don't want to be suspect if you're dead just because I was last seen here. Now, we have to get rid of your clothes. You're sweating too much. It'll worsen your condition."

She start ed my shirt but I lift up my hand and place it above hers to stop her action. I open my eyes and looked at her. She looked me back.

"Go." I said again. I can feel my energy up every time I speak.

"Just shut up and let me help you."

I have no more energy left to fight with her. She put aside my hand and resumes her actions. After she done, she took a washbasin from the kitchen and fill it with water. She came back to my room and help me took off the wet shirt. She search for small towel from my drawer and start wiping my upper body with wet towel. After she finished, she put on a new shirt for me and turn on the air-con on my room then cover me with blanket. She also put new wet towel in my forehead. Then she went to the kitchen. I was asleep when she gently shook my body and made me open my eyes.

"Chang Sun ssi, I'm going out for a while to buy some stuff. I already cook some porridge for you. Eat it if you're awake, okay? What's your pass code number?"

I told her the number then she walk out from my room. I feel a little bit better after she changed my shirt and now I'm sleepy. I fell asleep a few minutes later.

*****

I was shocked when I saw he drop to the floor. I never thought that his illness was that serious because he looks just fine when he opened the door for me. I think he didn't drink any medicine for few days and his health drop to the bottom level. His fever is not normal, so I decide to help him lying on the bed. When I see his face, something tells me not to go and stay with him. So I stay.

At first, I only intend to stay for a while like giving him drugs. But I ended up take care of him. I was hopeless when I can't found any drug fever on the paramedic box. Then I took the extreme way, wipe his body. I read it somewhere that it can reduce the heat a little bit. I can't think of other ways. But I didn't anticipate the consequences. I'll be affected by seeing him half like that. Focus, Hye Rin! He's a patient. I repeat it over and over again.

After I finished with him, I sit for a while on the sofa to stop my hand from trembling and stabilize my heartbeat. I still can't erase the memory when he hugged me in Japan and now I add another memory. It makes me feel guiltier to Byung Hee. I feel like I've betrayed his feelings for me. I went to the kitchen and cook some porridge for him. I didn't know what kind of porridge he likes, so I make a plain one. After that I told him that I'm going out for a while. I call my staff on the office to sent one office boy to pick up a document at Chang Sun's apartment and tell them that I'm not going back to the office today then go to the supermarket to buy medicine for him and some groceries.

When I get back to his apartment, I saw the porridge is still untouched. I must wake him up to eat before I give him the drugs. I reheat the porridge and pour it into the bowl then take it to his room. I gently open the door and I see he's still sleeping. I stand on the bedside, looking at his face. He looks so different when he sleeps; the cynical face is replaced by the innocent face. Suddenly I feel the desire to touch his face but he make a sudden move that make me startled and pull back my hand. I shook his body gently to wake him up.

"Chang Sun ssi, wake up. Eat the porridge first then the medicine."

He opens his eyes, look confused. Then he turns his face looking at me. His voice is still weak and the fever still high.

"How long have I been sleep?"

"About two hour. Come, eat first then you can go back to sleep."

I helped him lift up his body, try to make him sit and lean on the bedstead. He still can't eat on his own so I decide to feed him. After he finished eat and I give him the medicine, I help him again to get back to sleep. I move to the kitchen and unload my groceries, put them all in the freezer. He still needs to drink the medicine once again so I waited in his apartment.

It's time to drink the medicine again. I go to his room and touched his forehead. Still hot, it seems like the fever only reduced a little bit. I wake him up and give him the drugs. He drinks it and fell asleep again. I move out to the living room and wait for a while, in case he needs something. After two hours, no sound from the room. I decide to go home but I want to make sure he's okay so I go check him for the last time. I go to his room and stand on the bedside. I stretched out my hand and touch his forehead. It's better now. When I was about to turn around and leave, he grabbed my hand. I turn back and see that he’s still close his eyes.

"Don't go." He begged me.

I can't believe he said that to me. He, who’s never want to near me, now asking me to stay. Maybe it's because the fever and the medicine that makes him talk like that, I told myself. I sit on the chair and patted his hand.

"I'm not going anywhere. Now, go back to sleep."

I put his hand back inside the blanket and watch him sleep then I walk out from his room. I must call Ga In that I probably not coming home tonight.

"Ga In ah, I just want to tell you that maybe I won't come home tonight. Don't ask me anything right now. I'll explain it to you when I get back, okay? "

I immediately hung up the phone, cause if not Ga In will never let me go until she got the answer. I get back to his room and sit on a chair beside his bed. Seeing him sleep like this makes me forget all my hate towards him. I decide to take a nap for a few minutes here before moved to the living room later. I feel so tired today.