Chapter 4

You're My Bestfriend

 

 

Sungjong woke up early in the morning and made sure that he brought all the things he needed before he left his apartment. He needed to ride the bus early so he could settle himself at the hotel he booked in Busan.

 

When Sungjong opened his front door, he was shocked to find Sungyeol outside, looking like a statue. He was not moving and his eyes were closed.

 

"Uhm. Yeol? Are you awake?" Sungjong asked while waving his hand infront of Sungyeol's face.

 

When Sungyeol heard Sungjong, his eyes opened. He tried to shake his head to wake himself up. He had fallen asleep while waiting for Sungjong to come out.

 

"Why are you here? Are you going to accompany me to the bus station?" Sungjong asked.

 

"No. I'm coming with you to Busan." Sungyeol replied tiredly.

 

"I thought you already made up your mind?" Sungjong was still confused on why his friend chage his mind but a smile was starting to form on his lips.

 

"Do you want me to come with you or not?"

 

"Of course I do! Whew! I almost thought I was going to ride the bus alone." Sungjong beamed at his bestfriend.

 

"We're not going to take the bus. I have a car, remember?" Sungyeol said, a little annoyed with himself for deciding to come with Sungjong.

 

He thought hard about it last night and he concluded that he will not be able to relax or sleep well for three days knowing that his bestfriend is going to be alone in a not-so-familiar place.  Sungjong tend to get lost a lot when they were still kids and would end up panicking, and not knowing what to do, not even to ask for help. Even though they're both grown-ups now, there's no telling that it wouldn't happen anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm going to sleep for a while okay? I didn't get enough sleep since I woke up early." Sungjong told Sungyeol, who was driving the car.

 

After a few minutes he was already sleeping soundly in the passenger's seat.

 

didn't get enough sleep last night too, you know. Sungyeol thought back to when he decided at the last minute that he would come with Sungjong. He went to bed last night and was able to sleep for a while, but he woke up in the middle of the night feeling that something was bothering him. He couldn't sleep again after that. When he made his decision, he packed his things hurriedly and went to Sungjong's place at dawn, thinking that Sungjong might leave very early and actually end up travelling alone.

 

He didn't bother waking up his sleeping friend. He thought, at least one of them is going to be well-rested.

 

After an hour, Sungjong woke up and asked if they arrived already and Sungyeol told him that they're still far from their destination.

 

Sungjong suggested that they have a stop-over so they could eat, since both of them didn't have their breakfast yet.

 

 

 

"I'm so glad you changed your mind." Sungjong started a conversation as they ate breakfast.

 

"I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this more for myself. I'll not be able to handle the guilt if something happens to you on your trip." Sungyeol commented.

 

"Aww. Our Sungyeollie doesn't want to feel guilty." Sungjong pinched Sungyeol's cheeks. Instead of getting hurt by the statement, he chose to tease Sungyeol. He knows his bestfriend doesn't really mean what he said and that he truly cares for him but doesn't want to express it openly.

 

 

 

Sungjong paid for their food and bought some chips and drinks for them to munch on during their trip.

 

When they returned to Sungyeol's car, Sungyeol didn't feel sleepy already and Sungjong didn't sleep anymore.

 

Sungjong turned the radio on and it was on a segment where the radio host asks his listeners to join in the fun by repeating what he says.

 

"Okay, everyone. Listen very carefully. Our line for the day is: 'Aah. I'm thirsty. Do you know what drink I want?~~~Your lips.'  Did everyone catch that? It's more fun when you have someone beside you right now and you tell it to them. Come on guys. Try it."

 

 

 

Sungjong laughed at how cringe-worthy the line that came from the host was, but he wanted to have some fun so he urged his bestfriend to do it. "Come on Yeollie. Try it."

 

"What? No way. Why would I?" Sungyeol looked at his bestfriend for a while and then returned his eyes on the road.

 

"Ah, you're no fun." Sungjong commented. "I'll do it then."

 

"Aah. I want to drink something. What kind of drink?~~~your lips." Sungjong followed what the radio host's line as he faced his bestfriend and gave a finger heart to him. Sungjong then laughed so hard at what he just did as he kept on hitting his lap, then he covered his face out of embarrassment.

 

Sungyeol just shook his head beside him. His friend can be quite immature sometimes. Scratch that. His friend is immature most of the times. 

 

When Sungjong calmed down, he decided to change the radio station. The segment at the previous station ended and the following segment was becoming too boring for him.

 

One station was playing some ballad songs and Sungjong settled on it.

 

They were both enjoying the soothing music for a while before Sungyeol commented, "Aah. What's this. You and me on my car, with a love song playing, it's like a date or something." 

 

 

 

 

 

During the rest of the trip, the two talked and laughed. They also ate the chips that they bought from the stop-over.

 

At some point, Sungjong decided to play his favorite 'Infinite Effect' songs. He plugged his iPod on Sungyeol's car and increased the speakers' volume. When the music played, he started singing along to them.

 

Sungyeol is not a fan. Actually, if it weren't for Sungjong, he would never have known the names of the members of the boyband and their songs. Sungjong often talked about them with him that he began to memorize their names and the lyrics to their music.

 

Sungjong would even request for their songs to be played whenever he visits his coffee shop and he would only agree when he can't stand the whining and pouting Sungjong would make anymore.

 

Normally, he would complain and make Sungjong stop the music from playing, but today, he just let Sungjong sing his heart out while he focused on driving.

 

Maybe this is what he needed right now. He needed to take a break and enjoy. Maybe this trip could be a way of healing for him.

 

 

---

 

A/N: Did anyone notice the Showtime references I made? LoL.