Chapter 16

You're My Bestfriend

A/N: I'm still not satisfied with this guys but I know it's been a while since I updated, so I hope you would enjoy this somehow. :) <3

Update: Just adding something in my A/N. A part of this chapter was inspired by the game Infinite played in jeju island on an episode of Weekly Idol. It's a short clip but it's really fun to watch. Here's the url below if you guys want to know what I mean.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0N0ZK6qR9s

PS: I also saw how the poll is going on. Last I checked it's 5:5, then now it's 20:5 in favor or Sungyeol-Sungjong; Myungsoo-Sunjong. Thanks for participating! I'm glad to somehow know what you guys feel and think. For those who haven't voted yet, the poll is just below this chapter. Thanks guys! xoxo

--------

 

 

 

"Careful." Sungyeol said instinctively when he saw Sungjong riding the boat.

 

Sungjong was going to ride the boat with Myungsoo, as the older had quickly asked him to pair with him the minute he agreed to join.

 

Myungsoo rode first so he could steady the boat and assist Sungjong from there. Sungjong was doing fine, but Sungyeol wanted to make sure he would get on safely. When Sungjong was settled, Sungyeol went to his own boat where Sunjong had already settled without help.

 

Since there were only four boats available and there were eight of them, they all decided to go in pairs. Woohyun, who promised to do the rowing, was paired with Sunggyu. Hoya and Dongwoo, who invited the rest of them, paired up together as well. Myungsoo and Sungjong were already a pair, so that left Sungyeol and Sunjong to pair with each other.

 

"Do you know how to do this?" Sunjong asked Sungyeol after they have settled on the kayak.

 

"A bit." Sungyeol admitted, it being only the second time he was on that kind of boat. Sungyeol silently wondered how a boat can be so narrow that it could flip them over any time.

 

"Don't worry. I'm an expert at this." Sunjong beamed, his hand already holding one of the paddles.

 

Sungyeol thinks that Sunjong was too eager for his own good.

 

...

 

 

 

 

"Sungyeol, paddle faster!" Sunjong shouted at the front. They were already left behind by the others. Even by Woohyun and Sunggyu who only had one paddler. Sunjong believes that he was giving his best and argues that Sungyeol was the one slowing them down (although Sungyeol could swear that there had been more nagging and less rowing coming from him).

 

"Alright. Alright." Sungyeol said as he sped up his paddling. In no time, they had caught up with Myungsoo and Sungjong's kayak. Both were happily talking to each other and laughing while rowing their boat.

 

Sungyeol knew that he should be glad seeing his best friend having fun, but he just couldn't bring himself to do that. He doesn't understand what he is currently feeling but he is pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near being happy and the fact that Sunjong was nagging at him to speed up and go on a different direction wasn't helping either.

 

...

 

 

 

Sungjong was rowing at the front at a steady pace while Myungsoo was rowing and guiding him at the back. Myungsoo would always praise him with his paddling and sometimes they would almost get close to Hoya and Dongwoo who were rowing their kayak as if they were at a contest, wanting to always be ahead of everyone.

 

"You're doing really great, Jongie. Keep it up."

 

"Thanks." Sungjong blushed at the compliment.

 

"Don't worry about flipping over, Jongie. I will be here to save you. I know how to do CPR." Myungsoo said eagerly.

 

If it was possible, Sungjong felt like he blushed even more. The thought of Myungsoo giving him a CPR was suddenly invading his mind. He shook his head as hard as he could to shake the thought away which earned him a curious look from Myungsoo. He dismissed it by saying that there was a fly that landed on his face.

 

...
 

 


 

After an hour of rowing, they all decided to stop and rest on the beach.

 

Feeling the boredom emanating from everyone, Dongwoo suddenly had an idea.

 

"Guys, let's play a chicken fight game! 4 vs 4!"

 

"Count me in, hyung!" Sungjong exclaimed first.

 

"That sounds fun." Sunjong commented and stood up.

 

"Come on guys. It's really easy. We'll have a king for each group and the group that could eliminate the opposite team's king first would win. Losers will prepare dinner and wash the plates. Game?"

 

Dongwoo demonstrated how to play the game which was to stand on one leg and hold the other leg with the arm. A player will be eliminated if he fails to keep his balance or lands both feet on the ground.

 

"I'm in." said Myungsoo, who's already making his way to group with Sungjong.

 

Hoya, Woohyun and even Sunggyu decided to play as well.

 

"Yeollie, come on. Don't just sit there. you're good at this, right? Let's be on the same team." Sungjong said as he was pulling Sungyeol's arm and forcing him to stand up.

 

Not wanting to spoil the fun, Sungyeol let himself get pulled up easily by Sungjong (He may or may not also have missed playing these kind of games when he was younger).

 

When they were deciding the team, Sungjong said he wants to be on the same team with Sungyeol, while Myungsoo said he wants to be on Sungjong's team.

 

Woohyun said he didn't care about which team he would be in, as long as he's on the same team as Sunggyu, so they formed the other team.

 

Sungjong invited his twin to be on the same team but Sunjong turned down kindly and said he wanted to be on the opposing team because it would be more challenging.

 

Sunggyu and Sungjong were then decided to be the kings for each team.

 

Hoya and Dongwoo played rock, paper and scissors to choose which team they would be in since both had three members already.

 

Dongwoo ended up with Sungjong's team while Hoya is with Sunggyu's team.

 

When the game started, Myungsoo and Sungyeol immediately went to the front to protect Sungjong, while also being on an attack position. Woohyun was protecting Sunggyu alone, while shouting for Hoya and Sunjong to attack everyone.

 

Sunggyu was trying to attack as well but Woohyun kept on blocking his way, insisting that he'll protect Sunggyu 'til the very end, and that he would never let anyone go near him, which just earned an eye roll from the leader.

 

Hoya was attacking Sungyeol and Myungsoo simultaneously, but both of them kept their balance well, despite only having one leg on the ground. Sunjong sneakily tried to go behind the duo and eliminate his twin but Dongwoo was there to stop him. Dongwoo, however, was too late to realize that Sunjong had faked a move as he found himself losing his balance and he eventually fell to the ground.

 

After successfully eliminating Dongwoo, Sunjong made his way back to his twin. Myungsoo noticed him and the visual changed his position to protect Sungjong from behind, leaving Sungyeol alone to fight with Hoya.

 

Sunjong charged but Myungsoo blocked him. He was good at attacking but Myungsoo was also good in blocking. Sunjong aimed to go nearer so he could strike better. Unfortunately, he miscalculated his step and lost his balance. Unlike Dongwoo, who lost alone, Sunjong however managed to fall over Myungsoo bringing them both down to the ground.

 

It took them a few seconds to realize that they were both at an awkward position, before they broke apart and stood up as they brush some sand off their clothes.

 

Nobody seemed to have noticed them as everyone was currently focused on Sungyeol and Hoya's fight.

 

Hoya tried many times to go past Sungyeol and attack Sungjong to end the game once and for all, but Sungyeol stood his ground and blocked all of Hoya's attempts.

 

"Woohyun-ah, we could win if you would just leave Sunggyu hyung there for a while." Hoya told Woohyun who was just behind him, protecting Sunggyu.

 

"I won't leave hyung alone." Woohyun insisted.

 

While Hoya was distracted at persuading Woohyun to help him, Sungjong saw an opportunity and skipped his way in front of Sungyeol to attack Hoya. Hoya, who was shocked at seeing Sungjong change his place, hadn't been able to block the attack and he lost his grip on his leg making it land on the ground and caused him to get eliminated from the game.

 

The game went down to two versus two.

 

Woohyun had no choice but to fight so he could protect Sunggyu. Sunggyu, on the other hand, was glad that he finally had a chance to play.

 

Although he was already exhausted from the previous fight, Sungyeol was still not giving up. He hadn't been this competitive in years. He had been so inactive with recreational activities that he forgot how it felt to have adrenaline rushing through his veins.

 

Sungyeol don't usually like to compete but when he does, he makes sure that he gives his best and he would strive hard to win.

 

The game went on longer. Sungyeol's leg started to get wobbly and the arm supporting his other leg was already hurting but he refused to lose. He didn't know why he wanted to win so much. Sungjong was telling him he could quit the game if he's already too tired, but that made him want to continue it more.

 

Sunggyu wanted to attack either Sungyeol or Sungjong so they could end the game faster and win, but Woohyun kept on preventing him from doing that by blocking his front. The thought of eliminating Woohyun, even though they were teammates, had crossed his mind once but he pushed it away at the back of his mind. He knew he could handle himself. He didn't need to be protected. He could--

 

"A-aah!" Woohyun shouted when he accidentally trip on the sand and Sunggyu can see that he was falling backwards towards him. Sunggyu only had a split second to decide whether he would dodge Woohyun and let him fall harshly on the sand, or catch Woohyun from the back, to minimize the impact of the fall and risk losing the game. Sunggyu ended up choosing the latter, making their team lose the game. Hearing Hoya's disappointed groan, he suddenly regrets not eliminating Woohyun earlier.

 

It took a few seconds for Sungjong and Sungyeol to realize that their team won. If it hadn't been for Dongwoo who hugged Sungjong and lifted him from the ground, jumping up and down, they would still have stood there in the same position.

 

"We won! We won! Yes! I don't have to wash the plates tonight!" Dongwoo cheered merrily as he settled Sungjong down.

 

"So all this was because you want to escape your duty of washing the plates later?" Sunggyu asked amused at how silly Dongwoo could get sometimes. Woohyun just got up and he helped Sunggyu to his feet as well, both brushing the sands that got to their clothes.

 

Dongwoo smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of his head.

 

"I'm sorry we lost, hyung. Don't worry. You don't have to take the punishment. I'll cook tonight and Hoya will wash the dishes." Woohyun assured their leader, earning a 'hey!' from Hoya.

 

"I'll help with the dishes." Sunjong volunteered. "I'm part of the losing team anyway." he added with a laugh.

 

...

 

 

 

After spending more time under the heat of the sun, Sunggyu announces that he's tired and that he's going back to their rest house to get changed and take some nap. Woohyun also followed, saying he's also tired and that he wants to come with Sunggyu. Hoya and Dongwoo, who offered to get some snacks and drinks from the rest house, left as well.

 

"Don't you guys try anything reckless, okay? I promised manager hyung that we will all come back without causing any trouble." Sunggyu reminded them and left.

 

Sungyeol, the twins, and Myungsoo remained.
 


 

"I'm gonna go for a swim. Who wants to come along?" Sunjong asked the remaining people on the beach.

 

"My right arm still hurt a bit, maybe later." Sungyeol answered massaging his biceps.

 

"I'll follow you later. I'll massage Yeollie's arm and leg first." Sungjong responded and went beside his best friend to massage his arm.

 

"Um. Me too." Myungsoo muttered.

 

"You want to swim along or you want to get a massage too?" Sunjong asked as he was genuinely confused with Myungsoo's answer.

 

"What? No. I meant, I'll swim later." Myungsoo replied with a reddening cheek. He should have given a more proper answer.

 

"Sunjong." Sungjong warned.

 

"I'm sorry." Sunjong said raising both hand in defense. "I only wanted to clear things."

 

"I'll get going now." Sunjong said as he ran to the water like a playful child who went on his first beach trip.

 

The weather was windy, which caused the sea to create waves. The waves were constantly crashing against Sunjong's lithe body as he tried to swim. His wet blonde hair that covered his exquisite face and his bubbly laugh was an enjoyable sight for the people that remained on the shore to see.

 

"Is he always like that?" Myungsoo mused.

 

Sungjong smiled fondly at his twin. "Yes. He says he never gets to have fun whenever he's in the states. That's why he loves coming here to Korea. He feels more at home."

 

Sungjong went on to massage Sungyeol's leg and found that his best friend had already fallen asleep.

 

"He always falls asleep when I massage him." Sungjong muttered under his breath.

 

"You're really close with each other." Myungsoo commented referring to Sungjong and Sungyeol's friendship, not knowing why he sounded a bit bitter.

 

"Since we were kids, we were inseparable. Or more like, I was inseparable from him. After dad took Sunjong and left, I met Sungyeol. He was there to comfort me. He promised that he would always be there for me. He fought off bullies for me. He always knows whenever I need help." Sungjong beamed and after he had shared it, he realized how caring Sungyeol really is and how important he had actually become in his life and his expression turned into sadness.

 

"Sometimes, I feel guilty that he puts my interests first before himself." Sungjong sighed and then there was silence between them. Neither Sungjong nor Myungsoo spoke after that. Sungjong went back to massage Sungyeol's arm again and Myungsoo was left to his thoughts. Only the sound of Sungyeol's soft snores and the waves crashing on the shore can be heard.

 

The silence was peaceful yet it made them aware that something was not right. They couldn't hear Sunjong's laugh anymore.

 

"Where's Sunjong?" Sungjong suddenly got up and tried to find his twin from the waves.

 

Myungsoo also got up and helped in looking.

 

They heard a small shout of 'help' from their right and they saw a glimpse of Sunjong before he disappeared behind the waves again.

 

"Oh my God!" Sungjong shouted which caused Sungyeol to wake up.

 

Myungsoo immediately ran towards the sea and swam towards Sunjong.

 

"What happened?!" Sungyeol quickly sat up and asked worriedly. He followed the direction Myungsoo went and where Sungjong was looking in fear.

 

Sungjong ran towards the sea with Sungyeol following behind him. He was about to swim himself but Sungyeol stopped him.

 

"Stay. I'll go and find him."

Sungyeol swam and helped Myungsoo find Sunjong.

 

When he resurfaced, he saw that Myungsoo was already going back to the shore carrying an unconscious Sunjong with him.

 

Myungsoo gathered his breath first before he started pumping Sunjong's chest. He had to do it quickly but precisely. When there was no response, Sungjong cried and Sungyeol had to hold him and put his arms around him to calm him down.

 

Myungsoo opened Sunjong's mouth and proceeded to blow air into it and quickly followed it by pumping his chest again. He repeated the action a couple of times until they heard Sunjong cough and gain consciousness.

 

Sungjong rushed beside his twin and hugged him. "Thank God." was all he said and he cried again.

 

...