Chapter 15

You're My Bestfriend

 

Flashback.

 

"Aaah. I'm so full. I'm gonna miss all of this again when I get back to America." Sunjong said and then suddenly burped out loud. "Oops."

 

Sungjong, who was sitting beside him, and Sungyeol, who was sitting opposite the twins, laughed.

 

"If you're gonna miss this so much, why don't you just stay here for good?" Sungjong asked after a while.

 

Sungyeol must have sensed that the twins needed to talk privately, so he excused himself and told them he would just be at the counter to pay for their meal.

 

Sunjong's eyes followed Sungyeol for a while then back at Sungjong.

 

"You like him, don't you?" Sunjong asked.

 

"W-what? Why are you changing the subject? I asked you first." Sungjong said flustered.

 

Sunjong smiled.

 

"I can't stay here for good. Not yet, at least. I have to finish school first. It'll be better if I do it there. Maybe after then, I could ask dad to let me live here for good."

 

Sungjong nodded sadly as he understood what his brother meant. It's going to be a few more months before he gets to bond with Sunjong again.

 

"So, about my question. . ." Sunjong started again.

 

"If I like Sungyeol? Of course I do! He's a great friend. He--"

 

"Not that kind of like. You know what I mean." Sunjong interrupted.

 

"Huh?" Sungjong asked.

 

"You know, Sungyeol may be your best friend, but I'm still your twin. He may not know things, but I can certainly sense them. And you definitely can't lie to me, I'll know it right away." Sunjong smiled proudly.

 

Sungjong looked at his twin, and they stared at each other for a long time without blinking, Sunjong waiting for Sungjong's answer and Sungjong having a debate in his mind, before Sungjong sighed defeatedly.

 

"Fine. I like him. I know there's no use in asking, but, how did you know? I thought I was doing a great job at hiding my feelings."

 

Sunjong smiled triumphantly.

 

"Well, aside from the fact that he's the only one you talk about every time we chat on the computer, except for Infinite Effect or your bias Myungsoo, or family matters of course, or the fact that you look so happy when he's around even more than when I'm around, or that you may or may not have smiled a lot whenever you looked at him during our activities earlier, like in the amusement park, or at the karaoke shop, or even just now when we were having our dinner. Well, yeah, if we don't count the obvious, then maybe it's just a twin thing."

 

Sungjong hit his twin on the shoulders lightly for his sarcasm, while the other just laughed.

 

"Do you think he knows?" Sungjong asked worriedly.

 

"Nah. I don't think he does. Would you like him to know?"

 

"No! No way. I don't ever want our friendship to get ruined if things get awkward. I like things the way they are now. I don't expect my feelings to get reciprocated anyway. I'm just happy being friends with him and I'm going to keep it that way. Besides, I like to keep myself busy nowadays by being a fan of Infinite Effect. Did you know that Myungsoo has a new drama?"

 

Sunjong looked at his brother with amusement, he was so smooth at changing the topic, "If you say so. . ."

 

---

 

 

"Good bye guys! See you during Christmas break." Sunjong said after hugging his brother.

 

"Have a safe trip, Sunjong." Sungjong said as he waved to his brother who was about to enter the airport's departure area.

 

"Sungyeol, take care of my brother, will you? Don't ever make him cry again, understand? I won't forgive you if you do." Sunjong grinned as he waved again and went towards the gate.

 

Sungjong and Sungyeol waved until Sunjong entered the gate. Sungjong's smile faded as soon as Sunjong was out of sight and his eyes started to water. He already misses him. They only get to spend a few days with each other every year and if it were up to him, he'd like his brother to stay a bit longer so they could do more things together.

 

"Here." Sungyeol brought out his handkerchief for Sungjong to use.

 

"Thanks." Sungjong said as he accepted it.

 

"Do you want ice cream? My treat." Sungyeol offered knowing the word 'treat' will reach Sungjong's ears, more than the 'ice cream'.

 

Sungjong's face instantly lightened up. He's just so glad Sungyeol was there with him.

 

 

End of flashback.

---

 

 

 

 

"Sun...jong?" Myungsoo asked.

 

"Yes, my brother." Sungjong answered enthusiastically.

 

"Did he tell you when exactly he is coming?" It was Sungyeol who asked this time.

 

"Tomor--Oh my god! He says he's coming to Gwangju tomorrow! We need to go back." Sungjong panicked.

 

"Go back? But we all just arrived here.." Myungsoo said.

 

Sungjong faced Myungsoo and Woohyun with a sad face.

 

"I'm really, really sorry. I couldn't have been any happier for this travel opportunity with you guys and I don't even know if I'll ever have this kind of opportunity again, but Sungyeol and I have to go back to Gwangju to fetch my brother at the airport tomorrow. Our mom won't be able to, because she's in Europe for a vacation right now."

 

The four of them stayed silent for a while as they all processed the situation, until Woohyun had an idea. "What if. . what if you tell him to come here and join us?"

 

"Yeah!" Myungsoo agreed and was glad for Woohyun's suggestion. "Tell him I'll pay for his ticket."

 

"Really? Are you guys sure about that?" Sungjong asked unsurely.

 

"Yes! The more, the better, right?" Myungsoo answered enthusiastically. He was really thankful that Woohyun had thought of something to make them stay.

 

"I'm not sure if he would agree though." Sungjong said hesitantly.

 

"It wouldn't hurt to try, would it?" Woohyun encouraged.

 

"Okay, I'll tell him about it." Sungjong excused himself from the others as he called his twin.

 

When Sunjong picked up, Sungjong explained everything to him.

 

Contrary to what Sungjong had expected, Sunjong was beyond thrilled and was even excited to go to Jeju and meet the members. He said it would be way better for him to spend his vacation at the beach than stay at Sungjong's home and be bored, and that he didn't want his twin to let go of this kind of opportunity.

 

After Sungjong shared what transpired with their phone conversation, Myungsoo eagerly volunteered to tell Sunggyu about their coming guest and made arrangements for the ride that would bring Sungjong's brother to where they were staying, while Woohyun volunteered to inform Hoya and Dongwoo.

 

"So he was excited about it?" Sungyeol asked after Woohyun and Myungsoo left.

 

"Yeah. He said he can't wait for tomorrow." Sungjong grinned. He was happy that he didn't have to leave Jeju and would even get to spend time with his brother here. 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, they were about to eat breakfast when Sungjong's phone rang. It was Sunjong.

 

"Hello?" Sungjong said after he picked up his phone.

 

"I'm. . . outside."

 

"Really?!"

 

Sungjong didn't wait for the other's confirmation and quickly excused himself as he almost ran to the door.

 

When he opened the door, the bright, warm smile that he had missed these past few months welcomed him outside.

 

His brother didn't change much. Well, except for his now blonde hair that is.

 

Sungjong hugged his twin. "I missed you."

 

"I missed you too." Sunjong replied.

 

"Come inside. They want to meet you"

 

Sungjong ushered his brother inside to meet the others.

 

"Guys, this is my twin, Sunjong. Sunjong, they are the Infinite Effect members, Sunggyu hyung, Dongwoo hyung, Woohyun hyung, Hoya hyung, Myungsoo, and you already know Sungyeol, right?"

 

"Hi everyone! Nice to meet all of you. Thank you for letting me join your vacation." Sunjong smiled and bowed as he greeted the others.

 

"Oh hi Sunjong! It's good to see you again. And you've changed your hair color. That's good! It would be easier to tell you and Sungjong apart." Sungyeol greeted.

 

Sunjong grinned and looked back to others.

 

Dongwoo was the first one to speak. "Woah! Sungjong, you didn't tell us your brother is your twin!"

 

Judging by the look of the others, they shared the same sentiments with Dongwoo.

 

"If it weren't for your hair colors, you guys look totally alike!" Woohyun added. "Myungsoo, what do you think?"

 

Myungsoo came out of his daze when Woohyun nudged him.

 

"Huh? Uh.. I guess?" was all he managed to utter.

 

"So, I guess we need to make some changes with our room assignments." Sunggyu started. "Myungsoo, you could transfer to my room, so the twins could share a room."

 

"You're roommates with Myungsoo?!" Sunjong suddenly exclaimed as he faced his twin. He knew Sungjong's bias was Myungsoo. His twin had even said once when they were having a video chat that becoming Myungsoo's fan has helped him tame his feelings for his best friend.

 

Sungjong gave him a look as if telling him not to say anything stupid.

 

"It's okay. I'm just going to share the room with whoever has an extra space." Sunjong said, going back to the topic.

 

"Well then, you can share the room with me--" Sunggyu said before he got interrupted by Woohyun.

 

"No!" All eyes turned to Woohyun.

 

"I mean, Sunjong may not be comfortable with sharing a room with someone he just met.. and-and.. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get to sleep properly at night with your snoring, hyung. I-I'll sacrifice myself. I'll share the room with you, and Sunjong can be roommates with Sungyeol since they already know each other."

 

Dongwoo and Hoya gave a small nod acknowledging Woohyun's suggestion. Sunggyu was silent as he contemplated about it. Woohyun turned to Myungsoo asking for help with his eyes.

 

"I agree with Woohyun hyung's suggestion, hyung. We don't want our guest to be welcomed by your sleeping habit, do we?"

 

Sungjong gave a small knowing smile which only Sunjong and Sungyeol saw.

 

Sunjong looked at his twin, asking if he knows something. Sungjong just passed him a glance saying he'll tell him later.

 

Sungyeol remembers a little something Sungjong had shared with him before about WooGyu being his OTP. About how he believes Woohyun has feelings for their leader and how Sunggyu is so oblivious about it and Sungjong finds it oh-so-cute.

 

"Okaaaaay. So is there any objection? If none, then we'll go with Woohyun's suggestion." Sunggyu said looking at the rest of the members.

 

When nobody else objected, they returned to eating their breakfast and invited Sunjong to eat with them.

 

One one side of the table, Dongwoo, Hoya, Sungjong and Myungsoo sat together while Sunggyu, Woohyun, Sungyeol, and Sunjong sat on the opposite side.

 

"Sunjong, I've heard you've been living in the States. Are you good at English?" Hoya began as they had all settled on the table.

 

"Of course." Sunjong smiled as he answered in English and continued in the same language, "Do you want me to talk to you in English?"

 

"Ooooohhh!" Dongwoo teased. "Hoya, time to practice your 'American language' speaking skills!"

 

Hoya was a bit taken aback, he always bragged about being the most practiced in English in their group, but compared to their new guest, he felt like he was back to being a beginner, so when Dongwoo , his cheeks turned pink. He faked a cough and said "Just asking. I'm more comfortable in Korean."

 

"Oh. Your ears are turning red, Hoya." Dongwoo pointed which made the others laugh as he didn't really need to inform them to know that Hoya was embarrassed.

 

While some were still teasing and laughing at Hoya, Sungjong was focused on removing the white parts in his sunny side up and placed it on Sungyeol's plate. Sungyeol did the same, but instead of giving the white parts, he gave Sungjong the yellow part.

 

"You don't like the white part?" Myungsoo asked, noticing what Sungjong was doing.

 

Sungjong smiled sheepishly. "Yes.. and Sungyeol doesn't like the yellow, so we always give each other the part we don't like."

 

"It's okay. I don't like the white part too." said Myungsoo while separating the white from the yellow.

 

"I love both! How can you guys pick parts you don't like? Can I have that Myungsoo?" said Sunjong referring to the white part Myungsoo separated.

 

Before Myungsoo could answer, Sunjong already picked the separated part from Myungsoo's plate.

 

 

"Guys, Hoya and I are planning to go kayaking later, who wants to come?" Dongwoo announced.

 

When Myungsoo heard it, he immediately agreed to come.

 

"Hyung, the kayak is for two people, right? Sungjong, let's go with them!" He said excitedly.

 

"Sure! How about you guys?" Sungjong accepted and asked his brother and his best friend.

 

"I'd love too!" Sunjong answered while Sungyeol just gave a small nod.

 

"Hey, I wanna join too!" Woohyun whined.

 

"I'll pass." Sunggyu declared. He didn't plan on doing anything that involves exerting physical effort today.

 

"Eyy, hyung. Don't be such a killjoy, everybody's going." Woohyun complained.

 

"I don't want to row a boat." Sunggyu expressed straightly.

 

"I'll pair with you and do all the rowing." Woohyun said trying to encourage the leader to come.

 

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure about that?"

 

Woohyun sighed. "Yes."

 

After a few more urges, Sunggyu finally said "Fine."

 

Everyone cheered when Sunggyu finally joined, except Woohyun who started to regret the offer he came up with.

---

 

 

A/N: Hi guys! Are the names confusing? Can you guys differentiate Sungjong from Sunjong? I hope so. I'm really sorry if I take too long to update, it's just hard for me put into words the scenarios that I have in my mind. I'm trying to expand my vocabulary so that I will not use repetitive words and so I could tell the story better. As you can see/read, I still need more improvements. :D I hope you guys understand. I'm open to constructive criticisms, so please feel free to express yourselves in the comments! Love you all! :*