Chapter 14

You're My Bestfriend

A/N: My late gift to all my lovely readers! Hope you a had a very merry Christmas!

---

 

 

 

"What's wrong?" Myungsoo asked as he saw Sungjong struggling with his goggles.

 

"It's too big for me." Sungjong answered.

 

"Let me help you." Myungsoo helped Sungjong adjust his goggles to fit his head.

 

As Myungsoo was adjusting the strap, it snapped.

 

"Oops."

 

"Is it broken?" Sungjong asked worriedly. They might not be able to go on snorkeling as they didn't have extra goggles for him to use anymore.

 

Myungsoo examined the goggles and found that it wasn't damaged or anything. The strap just snapped and just needs to be returned back in place. Sungjong could still use it.

 

"Nope." He answered with a smile and made Sungjong wear the goggles again. This time, the strap didn't snap and he was able to adjust it properly.

 

"There you go."

 

"Thanks." Sungjong said with a grateful smile.

 

"Shall we start?" Myungsoo asked and made a gesture with his two hands pointing towards the sea as if he was a butler showing the way to his master.

 

"Yes!" Sungjong replied excitedly.

 

They then went into the water and stopped when they reached the part where it's already chest deep. They didn't have to go much further as the coral reefs aren't that far from the shoreline.

 

The weather was great and the water was very clear. It was the perfect day for snorkelling.

 

Myungsoo taught Sungjong how to use the snorkel and guided him as he submerged himself in the water. He taught him the basics and a few minutes later, Sungjong gave an 'okay' sign to Myungsoo indicating that he can swim on his own.

 

The view underwater was magnificent. Fishes and corals of different shapes and sizes littered the ocean floor. It was a colorful display of life in the sea. Sungjong was amazed at how real and close the fishes were to him, some even brushing against his fingers as he reached out to touch them.

 

He only ever saw fishes and other sea creatures on TV and in aquariums and never really found them that much fascinating before when he was too busy obsessing over Infinite Effect (well, not that he isn't still obsessing over them now) until he experienced swimming under the sea today. So, this was a whole new adventure for him.

 

Enjoying and having fun swimming at the sea is one thing, but to experience it with one of your idols, not to mention your ultimate bias (okay, now Sungjong admits to himself that he has a bias and it's none other than Myungsoo) is another.

 

This is something he never even thought was possible. No. He hadn't even dreamed of this. He was contented of admiring and supporting his idols from afar; an ordinary fan among hundreds and thousands of other fans that adored Infinite Effect and yet he got so lucky.

 

Ever since he and Sungyeol had set foot in Busan, he felt that he had been blessed from above. Who could have thought that he would befriend the group and go on a trip to Jeju with them, right? Certainly not him.

 

Even though he still couldn't believe the things that have been happening, he prays that this happiness would go on a bit longer and hopes that it wouldn't end so soon.

 

This is one big, elaborate dream, he doesn't want to wake from just yet. 

 

---

 

 

 

 

"Sungyeol, are you with me?" Woohyun said as he waved his hand in front of Sungyeol's face.

 

"What? Oh.. Uhm. Yes."

 

"Are you worried about Sungjong?" Woohyun asked as they prepared their jet skiing essentials.

 

"Maybe." Sungyeol shrugged unsurely.

 

"Relax. He's with Myungsoo. If there's someone you could trust among us to take good care of your best friend while you're not with him, it's Myungsoo." Woohyun assured him.

 

Sungyeol sighed. "I guess I just worry a lot when it comes to Sungjong. He's someone who makes me worry for no particular reason sometimes."

 

"That's really how much you care for him?" Woohyun asked.

 

"I don't think I'll ever forgive myself if anything happens to him while I'm around." Sungyeol admitted.

 

"Sungjong is so lucky to have a best friend like you."

 

Sungyeol smiled but shook his head softly, "No, I'm lucky to have him."

 

As Sungyeol was having a moment, Woohyun's jet ski suddenly roared to life and he said "Let's race 'til that floating cottage over there!"

 

Sungyeol accepted the challenge and started his engine as well.

 

---

 

 

 

Myungsoo had brought his underwater camera with him and took pictures. He captured the beautiful coral reef, the schools of fish, and all other things he found fascinating under the sea.

 

He had gone snorkelling before but he never knew it could be this fun. He wasn't sure if it was because Sungjong was fun to be with or that the Jeju sea was just really interesting.

 

He turned his camera to a swimming Sungjong who was clearly fascinated by everything that was around him. He looked ethereal. The way the sunlight illuminates his fair and smooth skin, as he swam gracefully, it was too precious of a moment for Myungsoo not to capture it. So he did.

 

Sungjong looked like he belonged to the sea; just as stunning as the environment that surrounded him. Myungsoo thinks that if mermaids were true, Sungjong could be one of them (yes, a mermaid, not a merman, he's too pretty to be a merman).

 

 

After a couple of minutes enjoying their swim, Sungjong made a mistake with his snorkel causing him to drink some saltwater which made him suddenly go back to the surface gasping for air. Myungsoo noticed Sungjong having a problem so he also hurriedly went back to the surface.

 

"Sungjong, are you okay?" Myungsoo asked worriedly when he also reached the surface.

 

"Some saltwater got into my snorkel and I drank some." Sungjong coughed.

 

"What?! Did it fill your lungs? Can you still breathe? Do you want me to give you a CPR--?"

 

Sungjong laughed at Myungsoo's worried expression. He didn't mean to worry the other. In fact, there wasn't really anything to worry about. He just wasn't used to using a snorkel and made a slight mistake.

 

"Don't worry. I'm okay!"

 

Myungsoo didn't laugh though, worry was still etched on his face. "What about the saltwater you drank?!"

 

"Myungsoo, I don't think I'll die just because I drank some saltwater."

 

"You might get sick." Myungsoo insisted. 

 

"I'm okay, really."

 

"Do you want to go back?" Myungsoo suggested.

 

Sungjong wanted to argue but he also wanted to go back to the beach house to have some drinking water as the seawater didn't really settle well with his taste buds. It made him thirsty.

 

In the end, he agreed for them to finish early and leave. It was saddening that they had to leave quickly because he was just starting to enjoy snorkelling.

 

---

 

 

 

When Woohyun and Sungyeol returned, they saw Sungjong and Myungsoo at the kitchen.

 

Sungjong was drinking some water and Myungsoo was rubbing circles on his back.

 

"Is everything okay?" Sungyeol asked, witnessing the scene.

 

Myungsoo stopped as he noticed the two who had just arrived.

 

"He almost drowned." Myungsoo said exaggeratedly.

 

Sungjong choked on the water he was drinking.

 

"What?!" Sungyeol's eyes widened.

 

"What? No. Some saltwater just got into my snorkel and I drank some." said Sungjong who was trying to clear things up.

 

"I would have given him CPR, if---" Myungsoo hadn't been able to finish what he was going to say as a phone went ringing loudly.

 

Infinite Effect's new song 'Typhoon' played before Sungjong got his phone and answered it.

 

"Hello.---I miss you too!---Really?--When?----Okay! See you!" Sungjong put down his phone and smiled at Sungyeol.

 

"Sunjong's back. He just arrived in Seoul."

 

 ---

 

 

 

 

 

'-Flashback-'

 

"Sungyeol, don't you think Sungjong is being too much?" asked the varsity captain, one of Sungyeol's basketball buddies, after their friendly game.

 

Sungjong wasn't around because he had to go home early for a project and Sungyeol's teammate took the opportunity of confronting him.

 

"What makes you say that?" Sungyeol asked.

 

"He makes you eat vegetables even when you don't want to and says it's good for your health. He wipes your sweat after every game as if you couldn't do it yourself. He calls for the referee's attention if he thinks that we have made a foul against you even when we're just practicing. He asks for your schedule to make sure you don't skip class. He sees to it that you finish your projects first before you're allowed to hangout with us-- I could go on you know.  Things should have been easier since your parents weren't always there to stop you from having fun, but having Sungjong around feels like you have someone more strict and imposing." his friend explained.

 

Sungyeol just kept silent. He didn't flat out agree with his friend but he didn't deny it either. Maybe Sungjong really is being a bit too much sometimes (it doesn't mean that he hates it though).

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sungyeol, we're going to have a party at my house, you should come with us." The varsity captain invited Sungyeol after class.

 

"Sure. See you later."

 

When Sungjong arrived, the varsity captain invited him too.

 

"Sungjong, you should come too."

 

"I'm sorry, but I have to finish my 10-page essay tonight. It's bound to be submitted tomorrow. Thanks for the invitation anyway."

 

After the varsity captain left, Sungjong went to his best friend's side. "Sungyeol, did you finish your project?"

 

"Not yet, I'm going to work on it once I come home after the party."

 

"But that project's due tomorrow."

 

"I know."

 

"You do know your grades aren't particularly well in that subject, right? I think you should prioritize your project first. I'll help--"

 

"Sungjong, it's not your problem if I fail that subject or not. It's mine."

 

"Sungyeol, I'm just worried for you. You can't stay in the school varsity if your grades aren't good enough."

 

"Whatever." Sungyeol said and started walking away.

 

"Sungyeol, I don't think your basketball teammates are being a good influence to you anymore." He heard Sungjong say behind him and he stopped in his tracks, his back still facing Sungjong.

 

"Stop that."

 

"Stop what?"

 

"Stop caring too much!" Sungyeol shouted and stormed off.

 

"Sungyeol! Wait!" Sungjong ran towards him.

 

"What do you want Sungjong?" Sungyeol said irritably as he faced Sungjong.

 

"Please don't do this." Sungjong begged as he held Sungyeol's arms.

 

"Go away. I'm coming with my friends." Sungyeol shook Sungjong hands away.

 

"But, I'm also your friend. . ."

 

"I'm sick of you following me around since we were kids. I'm tired of being teased for having a best friend like you! Can you please leave me alone just this once?"

 

"B-but.." Sungjong tried to resist the tears that were threatening to spill from his eyes, but he couldn't. Sungyeol's words hurt him too much.

 

Before Sungyeol could say another word, Sungjong ran away as far as his feet could take him. Away from the person he considered was his best friend. He couldn't believe that Sungyeol felt that way. He had always thought that he was doing his best as a friend towards Sungyeol. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe he cared a little bit more than he should have.

 

 

 

 

After Sungjong ran, guilt had overcome Sungyeol. He didn't mean to be harsh towards Sungjong. He never meant to hurt his best friend in any way. He just wanted to be accepted by his varsity friends.

 

As he neared the house where the party is being held, Sungyeol began to think if going there was all really worth it. If hurting his best friend was worth the price of gaining more friends; friends he didn't even know if he could trust and depend on when he needs them.

 

When Sungyeol arrived, the house was already filled with people. He realized that the party isn't just a small gathering of friends where they would eat and talk and get to know each other, instead, it was an extravagant party where elites and famous personalities from the school have been invited. He could recognize some students from other years, most of them known to come from prominent families in the city, members of other varsity teams, and even presidents of some of the school clubs.

 

As he tried to approach one of his teammates and open up a conversation with him, his teammate just greeted him and left him for some group of cheerleaders which were apparently more interesting than him.

 

He looked for the host of the party and found him in the kitchen talking to someone.

 

"I've heard you invited Sungyeol and Sungjong." says the guy talking to the host.

 

"Yeah. Only because they're rich. If they weren't, I wouldn't have even bothered associating myself with them. You know I only make friends with people who have the same social status as mine. Sungyeol is just plain annoying. He always tries to join us whenever we hang out. He doesn't seem to get the hint that we don't like him. And Sungjong, I would have hit on that pretty boy if he wasn't too smart and perceptive for his own good and if only Sungyeol wasn't around him all the time.."

 

Sungyeol heard enough. He left the kitchen quickly and silently so as not to alert them of his presence. He did not want to hear anything anymore.

 

Standing in the living room of a house with loud music booming from every corner, filled with people whose names and faces only a few Sungyeol can recognize, couples making out, and drunk people dancing wildly, he should have been happily partying as well. Instead, he wished he was back in his house doing his boring and tiresome project but enjoying the company of his best friend who's willing to help him and knows how to bring out the best in every dull moment. Sungjong will always be able to cheer him up.

 

Right. Sungjong. His best friend, Sungjong. The one who can make him happy even when he's feeling extremely down. The one who would stick by his side when nobody else would. The one whom he can talk to all day and would readily listen to him all day without telling him he's boring or that he's not making any sense. The one whom he could tell all the lamest jokes to, but would still laugh at them genuinely. The one who he can call in the middle of the night when he couldn't sleep and would wake up for him and stay up with him on the phone 'til he could. The one he easily abandoned for some people which he now only realized were actually a bunch of losers.

 

When he got out of the house, he ran as fast as he could. He was hurt. He didn't wanna go home yet, nobody would be there to comfort him anyway. He didn't know where he was going, but his feet seemed to move its own and knew exactly where to take him.

 

He soon found himself stopping in front of Sungjong's house.

 

Looking at the front door, Sungyeol wanted to knock and see Sungjong, but a part of him was stopping him as he remembered what he had done earlier.

 

If Sungjong knew that it was Sungyeol who was knocking at his door, would he open it for him? Or would he leave him there outside so he would know the feeling of being abandoned?

 

Sungyeol stood there for a little while before he decided to try knocking.

 

It wasn't long before someone opened the door to his house. It was Sungjong.

 

Or was it him?

 

Sungyeol can clearly see that it was his bestfriend, but something doesn't feel right, and it's not the fact that Sungjong was looking at him from head to foot seemingly sizing him up as if it was the first time he had seen him.

 

"Who are you?" Sungjong asked him with one eyebrow raised.

 

Sungyeol was shocked. Had the things he had said and done earlier hurt Sungjong so much that his best friend would come to this?

 

"It's me. Sungyeol." He answered nonetheless.

 

"Aah, Sungyeol. Right. You're Sungjong's best friend." Sungjong's face changed with the recognition of the name.

 

Why was Sungjong talking from a third person's point of view?

 

"Sungjong told me a lot about you. Including what happened earlier." Sungjong went on saying.

 

Sungyeol didn't know how to respond. He was so confused as to why Sungjong was acting this way. There was an awkward silence between them before Sungjong started to laugh.

 

'Even his laugh is different' Sungyeol thought.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry! You must have been confused. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Lee Sunjong, Sungjong's twin. Nice to meet you Sungyeol!" Sunjong, who was actually Sungjong's twin, introduced himself.

 

Sungyeol was still confused but everything seemed to make sense now.

 

"I just arrived yesterday. Come inside, I want to have a chat with you." Sunjong invited him with a warm smile.

 

Sungyeol, however, didn't budge. Despite the warm invitation, his feet were stopping him, and the fact that the person inviting him to come inside isn't actually his best friend wasn't helping at all. This means that Sungjong probably didn't want to see him.

 

Sunjong must have noticed Sungyeol's hesitation as he said, "Don't worry. It's okay with Sungjong. He was the one who told me to let you in if you come here. If it makes you feel any better, he's not angry with you. He's just. . . sad."

 

Sunjong ushered Sungyeol inside their house and made him sit on the sofa.

 

This person may look exactly like his best friend, but Sungyeol can definitely feel that they were different.

 

They have the same charming eyes and warm, friendly smile, but Sungyeol couldn't help but think that Sungjong's was a bit more cozy.

 

"I know you probably didn't know about me, but I know a lot about you. I asked Sungjong to keep having me as his twin a secret. It had been hard for him, especially whenever I visit him. You don't know how many times he wanted to tell you about me. How he didn't want to keep any thing from you since you are his best friend. How he felt like he was lying to you and felt so guilty about it. I told him that he shouldn't feel guilty and that I will introduce myself to you one day. I guess that day has finally come."

 

After hearing Sunjong's explanation, Sungyeol suddenly remembers the days when Sungjong would act strange for a couple of days and wouldn't allow him to come to his house. Every time he would ask Sungjong if anything was wrong, Sungjong would just laugh and tell him that everything was totally fine. On those days, Sungjong would buy a lot of foods and Sungyeol would think that Sungjong bought some for him until Sungjong would bid him goodbye and go home without giving him anything.

 

"I know it's still a lot to process but if you want to ask me anything, I'll answer your questions as best as I can."

 

So Sungyeol asked the most important question that he had in mind at the moment, "Why have you decided to keep your identity a secret?"

 

"You see, our parents have separated when we were little kids. It had been a mutual decision. They decided to remain friends but they thought it would be good to take one of us and live separately but it had only been hard for me and Sungjong. Dad brought me with him to USA while mom stayed here in Korea and brought Sungjong with her to Gwangju.  We both cried a lot. We were teased a lot at our schools when we said we had a twin but that we weren't living together. They called us liars and thought that it was all just a product of our imagination, an imaginary friend..or twin, if you must say. We didn't want to be teased about our situation anymore so we decided to hide it from the others. We never broke contact though, in fact we always call each other on the phone over long distance calls and write each other letters to keep us updated about each other. I started visiting him 2 years ago when dad allowed me to travel alone. Sungjong had just transferred into his new apartment that mom gave him at the time. We had become closer since then."

 

They continued to talk more after that. Sungyeol also shared his side of the story and explained how sorry he was for what he had done, before he remembered about his project that was due tomorrow.

 

"Oh, I have to go." He said and stood up.

 

Sunjong also stood up and ushered him towards the door.

 

"Thank you so much for your time. It was nice to finally meet you." Sunjong smiled as he bid Sungyeol goodbye.

 

"It was nice to meet you too, really. Please tell Sungjong I'm really sorry and I wish we could talk tomorrow."

 

"I will."

 

"Thanks."

 

Sungyeol would have to think about how to say sorry to Sungjong tomorrow while he works on his project all night.

 

 

 

 

-end of flashback-

 

---

 

A/N: I'd love to hear what you guys think about this chapter. Thanks for reading! Advance Happy New Year to everyone!