chapter twenty-one

Boundless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

BAEKHYUN

 

“Oh? What are you still doing here?”

I see Haewon sitting on the couch inside the meeting room. I’m about to go out and I was just going to get my bag inside. “Nothing, you go ahead.” She said and smiled while tracing her index finger across her glass of juice. “Won’t your boyfriend pick you up?” I still walk towards her since my bag was there near her. I sit down beside her. “You mean Taehun? Husband.” She said and I was taken a back for a second.

“Ya serious?” I ask and laugh at my own mistake. Well actually, soon-to-be ex-husband. Our divorce papers are soon going to be concluded. We still stay together until it gets fixed cause of our parents.” She answers before taking a drink on the juice. “Oh. . . well, I’m sorry to hear that.” I said and rubbed the back of my neck. I don’t really know how to handle such stuff. I haven’t talked to a person who’s getting divorced.

She laughs.

“Isn’t it supposed to be congratulations?” She asks. “Ah. . . well, not all parting is happy right?” I answer back and lean more comfortable. “yeah but. . . not all unification’s happy too.” She answers. She sniffs a bit but she was obviously acting it out, like she’s about to cry. “Well if it’s not that rude, would you mind sharing then? Just to. . . let it out? I mean, I need to at least know if I should really say sorry or congratulate you.” I speak with hesitance in my voice.

Imagining Saera and I separating kills me inside.

I know it doesn’t feel good to anyone whatever the reason.

“You know his face right? He’s the lawyer I cheated on you with.” She starts and I just awkwardly nod. It does feel awkward talking so casually about this but it’s all in the past which eases it up a bit. She stares in space and up until now her face shows morose. “Well. . . we were fine at first. You know, when you and I broke up we eventually became a real couple and just one year, he married me.” She says. I just nod letting her finish.

“To be honest. . . I don’t want to mention this anymore and don’t take it personal, alright?” She says and looks at me. “Okay, go on.” I answer calmly. “My mom was the one who introduced him to me. She wanted us together instead since she wants me to be a lawyer instead of a musician. You know that right? S-she didn’t like you.” She tells.

I chuckle to myself.

Yes, I had such luck in life.

Being hated by the mothers of the women I would have.

Even I don’t understand it.

“Yeah yeah, don’t worry it doesn’t affect me at all.” I answer and chuckle. “Alright so. . . I never intended to cheat at all, you just really caught us—but anyway, let’s not focus on that. During our marriage, we had a lot of up’s and down’s, we were always arguing especially when I didn’t pass the board exam. I-I told him he should just let me go b-back to music.” When she says that, she starts crying.

But I just let her cry, she needs it.

“H-he doesn’t want to. . . So, I didn’t have a choice. I. . . I retook the review and all because I loved him. I passed it eventually.” She says and I nod giving her a sympathetic smile. “But he always told me I wasn’t good enough to do the job and I-I didn’t understand. I didn’t know what I would do. We always fought, every single day we only fought.” She paused for a while and wiped her tears. She was already breathing heavily.

Oh god, this woman looks so depressed. She needs Saera as a friend, my life could lit up everyone’s mood.

Brushing that thought off for a while, I continue listening to her.

“And so one day, I try to fix it. I tried to fix us. W-we talked and you know. . . we’ve decided to tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter