Face to a Name

The Cha Brothers *Rewritten*

 

            I was shocked, I really didn’t know much about young people culture in Korea and I haven’t really talked to anyone form my childhood beside Jian.

            “Uh… well…”

            “I totally understand if you don’t, I just… it’s been getting to me lately. Like if I don’t tell her now I’ll end up regretting it.”

            “Won’t your father set you to an arranged marriage? I mean, Jin, and YoonGi are right?”

            “Their different. Father wants them to marry and take over the family business. If my other hyungs and I all get setup to marry, I’m pretty sure it will be out of the country to expand the Cha name.” he sighed then ate a rice cake. “I just want to tell her I think she’s pretty and I like her.” He smiled a little bit just thinking about her and I couldn’t help but feel my heart flutter for him. It was so cute; young love.

            Kook told me that his crush is a girl from his English class and that she’s very smart. She has short cut hair and a round face with big eyes and pink cheeks. She likes to wear skirts and sneakers and he really liked that. Once they were matching; both wearing a black pullover with white bottoms (her a white skirt and him just white shorts) and plain timberlands. He talked about her like she was a vividly painted picture in his head.

            “Her lips are always pouting when she studies and she tucks her hair behind her ear too. She also come to class with her favorite pen tucked behind her ear. He keys jingle when she moves her bag, but it’s very pleasant to me. Her voice is smooth and she talks very low so the professor doesn’t call on her much.” He went on and I just listened to his infatuation of her. Oddly, non-of it sounded creepy, just innocents, he’s never seen her outside of class.

            “Well, what do you want to tell her exactly?” I questioned and his small smile turned to a frown.

            “I just want to tell her I like her and I wouldn’t mind taking her on a date or something.” He sunk in the seat and his shoulders came up. “I don’t know, Jin and Ho Seok are so good with talking to girls.”

            “They are?” then I remembered that Jin has or had a girlfriend he liked very much. I wondered if he talked to her at all since the bomb dropped about his arranged marriage being set up. I wondered if he talked to her at all. “What about YoonGi and NamJoon?” I questioned. NamJoon is very good with words so I just seemed like he would have a few exes’.

            “YoonGi says he has time to find someone but isn’t very interested right now. I think it’s because he doesn’t want to be dragged out the house and have to do romantic stuff.” I remembered YoonGi laying outside listening to a book before I made a late breakfast. He seemed at peace with himself. “NamJoon, has always talked about girls but most think he’s unattractive after they see his brothers.”

            “So he’s brought girls home before?”

            “Well, more like we caught him out on a few outings… and kind of blew his cover.” I felt bad. “They see Jin and get all wide eyed; see YoonGi and want to cook for him; See Ho Seok and want to come to his dance shows.”

            “What about you, Jimin and Tae?” I felt the need to ask.

            “They want to play dress up with Jimin, buy things for Tae and give me snacks; it’s all very annoying.”

            “So aren’t you nervous if you get caught with her she’ll end up having eyes for your bothers?” concern came over both of our faces and I knew that was a major thing that weighed down on Kook.

            “Honestly, I just want to know how she feels, if anything I’ll tell her I just have a sister.” He looked at me and I questioned him.

            “Sister?” he gave me a dumb look and pointed at me with a smile.

            “Yeah, you Noona.” He laughed and I cracked a smile.

 

            I liked feeling close to Kook, he was truly a sweet kid with an innocent mindset.

            “So? Do you think you can help me?” he asked again. I took a deep breath and agreed. “Sam you’re so awesome!?” he said and ate two or three rice cakes in a row.

            “There you guys are.” Jimin said coming up from the side of us. “What’s going on here?” he asked and Ho Seok and Tae weren’t too far behind him.

            “Not on a date right?” Ho Seok teased and Kook stuck his tongue out at him. They began to rough house a little bit but didn’t cause too much of a scene, Jimin and Tae were holding all the bags, and rested them on a chair that Jimin pulled up. Tae stood next to me and put his fingers in my hair. His touch was gentle, and I kind of liked it, not in a ual way but a relaxing way. I don’t know what it was but Tae and I had this unspoken relationship, I felt very protected with him.

            “So, now what?” asked Jimin, then he looked at Tae and I’s matching hoodies and then how Ho Seok and I had matching sneakers on. He gave me a questioning look but Ho Seok interrupted it.

            “I don’t know, Sam, do you need anything else?” the four of them looked at me and I shook my head no.

            “Well, I guess we can head home now?” I spoke up and they all looked amused.

           

            We went to the car and put the bags in the trunk. Once we were all back in the car, Ho Seok and Jimin started to pass one of their cell phones back and forth.

            “That one.” Jimin said and Ho Seok nodded starting the car. We drove for a little then pulled up in another parking lot.

            “What are we doing?” I looked at the building, it was a movie theater. “Really guys?” I asked and they got out the car. Tae tugged on me to come out on his side, and I followed. While walking in the parking lot I stuck closer to Tae and Kook who were behind Ho Seok and Jimin. They were talking about the movie we were all about to see. It was a scary movie; great.

           

 

            I sat in between Ho Seok and Tae and Jimin and Kook sat a row above us. There weren’t many people in the theater but when the lights cut out I felt so cautious of everything around me. I put my hood up and sat down in the seat, then pulled my knees up to my chest.

            It was a movie about a girl who find a necklace in the woods, after cleaning it and making it wearable again she starts seeing demons. The whole story was just a rollercoaster of jump scares, but I was happy to know that Ho Seok was just as scared as I was. I heard Jimin jump behind us too. At one-point Ho Seok and I both reached for each other and I buried my head in his shoulder as my other hand grabbed Tae’s hoodie by the wrist. When we (Ho Seok and I) realized we were tucked into each other, he smiled but I removed myself, Tae was giggling too. Maybe he just thought it was funny. Big bad hyung Ho Seok was equally scared as Sam.

 

            When the movie was over, I was over joyed. That was one movie I could have gone my whole life without seeing. I was embarrassed about my jumpiness while Kook and Tae teased their hyungs about it. they laughed about it all and I was just on edge. Jimin, trying to be funny, just yelled ‘BOO!’ at me and I jumped and covered my heart.

            “Damn, Sam. Your worse the Ho Seok.” They all giggled.

            “Oh Ha-ha.” Replied.

 

            When we finally got home I went to my room just to put my things away. I put my shoes that matched Ho Seok away in the box, and hung up his necklace he got for me. I also changed my hoodie so I could cook and not get it messed up.

            Jimin asked for pork belly so I found the table stove cooker and got all the side dishes ready. It had gotten pretty late since we got out the movies, so I thought YoonGi would be home soon.

            “Doesn’t YoonGi like pork belly?” I asked Jimin who help me set the table today, he picked at some bean sprouts.

            “Of course.” Jimin smiled at me and I felt my face smile back automatically.

 

            The guys were eating but it was past the time that YoonGi was supposed to be here. I decided I’d go outside and wait for him.

            “You sure you don’t just want to wait?” Ho Seok asked following me to the door from his seat. “If I know YoonGi he probably took a nap at the office and is running late.”

            “I’m sure, its nice out so the air is nice.” I said putting on my old shoes that were in the shoes rack. Ho Seok sighed and slipped his shoes on as well. “What are you doing?” I asked him as I reached for the door.

            “I want to hear you scold him once he’s here.” Was his excuse and pushed me out the door. I turned to him and put my hand up to hit his arm but was caught off guard by his shocked expressing. I turned to see what he was looking at. YoonGi was half way between the front gate and door, but there was someone behind him, a girl. The girl looked past YoonGi to us, then he turned to us too.

            “YoonGi?” I asked low but no one managed to hear me.

            “Hey, what is she doing here?” Ho Seok stepped closer with his arrogant tone. I stopped him, once I saw the redness of the girl’s eyes and how flushed pink her nose and cheeks where.

            “Ho Seok who is that?” I asked, YoonGi turned back to the girl and rolled his neck in a stressed way.

            “Is that her?” the girl asked and YoonGi spoke.

            “Ho Seok, please take Sam back inside.” YoonGi’s voice was stressed but even, he only looked to us from turning his head to the side.

            “Hyung?”

            “Ho Seok, now.” His voice was much more demanding, and I felt Ho Seok get the message. He tugged me by my arm and we went inside again. When the front door shut, I asked the obvious.

            “Who was that?”

            “That was Rhiou.”

            “Rhiou?” I repeated after him. The name was familiar but I couldn’t quiet put the name to a face or a definition. I thought about it for a second more and the whole conversation repeated in my head. “Tell him about Rhiou. Tell him now and maybe he’ll think about allowing it.” “You know he won’t! She’s not like us; he’ll only view it as a money hungry family.” “She doesn’t even know you’re from wealth. Jin, if you tell him first, then see what she says about it.”

            “Rhiou!” I repeated loudly. “Jin’s girlfriend?!” I asked and Ho Seok nodded then went back to the kitchen. “Oh my god.” I said lone and looked at the front door. Why would she be here? Did he tell her everything? How could she just show up now? Especially now?