Mixed Emotions

The Cha Brothers *Rewritten*

 

            The smell of cologne filled my nostrils, a mix between two familiar scents. It warmed me inside and my body relaxed and stretched. I opened my eyes to darkness. But as they adjusted I saw little detail in things. It was obvious there was TV off in the top corner of the room. Door to my room had curtains in front of it for when the door opened, the bright hall lights are blinding to me right now. I turned over and saw Jin sitting in his usual spot next to me looking over my chart. The nurse updates it at night when she checks on me, but I’m a head sleeper so I normally don’t know. I reached out and tapped his knee, he looked over and smiled, then looked back at my chart.

            “She’s awake.” Jin said and I looked at the end of the bed, Tae, NamJoon and Ho Seok all had folded chairs. They were all just waiting.

            “Sam.” Tae said, NamJoon smiled and Ho Seok came over to the other side of the bed and sat at the end.

            “How are you feeling?” Ho Seok asked first. I blinked a few times and rubbed my eyes, hopping they’d adjust more.

            “I’m feeling a lot better.” I looked at all of them. “What time is it?” Jin checked his watch.

            “9:45 in the morning. Why?”

            “I thought you left Jeung Guk home alone.” I sat up and felt good. I ran my fingers through my hair, it had been a while since I did anything to it. It felt greasy and tangled, I just wrapped it up into a bun.

            “Your chart says that you’ve been having trouble sleeping, but you don’t wake up when someone is there for a little bit.” They all looked at me. “Do you need someone to spend the night with for now on?” Jin joked but Ho Seok cleared his throat. “No.” Jin said and Ho Seok dropped his head.

            “I was only joking.” He mumbled, NamJoon reached up to his brother and patted him on the back.

            “Good try.”

            “You won’t be either.” Jin spat, and I saw them all look at Tae. No one knew of that one night we almost shared. Tae’s eye brows went up and he looked at Jin in a destressed way. “Hmm.” Jin then turned to me. “Tomorrow if things look good, you’ll be allowed to leave with special protective glasses. The glasses are ugly but I’m sure Jimin can find you a decent looking pair.”

            “Are they still in Japan? Jimin and YoonGi?” I wondered.

            “They are but their returning home in a few days.” NamJoon answered. The room went quiet for a moment and I looked around the room.

            “How’s your vision?” Tae questioned, I could see his eye brows arched in worry but I couldn’t tell how worried. Everything was just blurry and dark, but most direct lights blinded me.

            “Things are still dark, and blurry, but I can see some of your faces. I can tell that your worried about something.” I looked at Jin. “He looks the same as always.” I looked at NamJoon. “NamJoon looks sad, and it’s really unsettling for me,” then to Ho Seok, “He also looks sad and worried.”

            “That’s because I know for a fact now you can’t stay out of trouble.” Ho Seok stood and stretched. I couldn’t tell what he was wearing, I just know they were clothes.

            “Well, the problem has been fixed, hopefully now she’ll stay in one piece.” Jin commented and I felt guilty towards him. All of this was going to me dry of money, but Jin said he’d help me out here and there. Jin was searching on his phone like always, he must be answering emails again. Very busy man he is.

            “My friends are C.E.O. Heirs and their all sitting in this hospital room with me.” I felt so grateful but bad at the same time I felt horrible. I felt like my life interfered with theirs so much. I laid back down in bed and closed my eyes, Ho Seok scooted up closer to me.

            “Are you okay?”

            “I’m ready to leave here.” A knock came to the door and I looked away incase whoever opened the door, lets light in too.

            “Miss Haul?” A nurse? A doctor? I looked over, and saw a manly figure, then the usual female nurse. I could tell the person was wearing a doctor’s white lab jacket, and holding a folder. I squinted at him trying to make out facial features. “Wow, you have quite a gathering in here.” He sounded like he smiled. Ho Seok stood and took a few steps back as Jin came around to the doctor. “Well, I’m Dr. Kim Jonghan and I’ve been specially assigned to your specific injuries.”

            “What does that mean?” Tae asked for me. Jin placed his hand out for D. Kim.

            “Hello doctor. I’m Cha SeokJin, the one who requested you.” Dr. Kim took his hand and shook it.

            “Nice to meet you, sir, now this is your...?” he looked in the folder. “Younger Sister?” Everyone looked at Jin; me Tae, NamJoon, and Ho Seok.

            “Yes.”

            “Okay, well, to start off, when your sister hit her head she hit a point where her vision was temporarily lost. Luckily she didn’t damage it completely. As Samuel rest and tries to focus on details, she’s slowly recovering at a very good rate.” Jin and Dr. Kim when on and Tae came over to talk to me. He sat in Jin spot and I turned my head to look at him.

            “Jin said, the nurse said you could be going home tomorrow.” I nodded to him. “Then why is there a special doctor here?”

            “I don’t know.” I felt bad. NamJoon got a phone call and left the room, Ho Seok got called into the conversation with the doctor and Jin so Tae was just with me. I sat up and Tae just made funny faces at me to try to get me o smile. I pinched his checks some and pulled his ears a little.

           

            “Well, if everything does go as planned, she can return home tomorrow but she’ll need to do multiple doctor visits a month. For tomorrow in particular, she’ll be going through an eye exam I have prepared.” Jin nodded to the doctor’s words.

            “Okay, my brothers and I will be sure she gets here.” Tae and I looked over at the three men.

            “Wow, your all family?” Doctor Kim asked and looked at all of us. We all smiled to ourselves. “In any case, you can bring her a pair of clothes.” I felt relived but I still had to spend one more night here.

 

            The doctor left and Jin went to look for NamJoon, Ho Seok and Tae stayed with me. I didn’t know what to say anymore, everything I wanted they would just give but I didn’t want anything. I could ask about Kook and they would tell me he still doesn’t know. I could ask about my apartment but they refused to let me think it.

            I thought about going back to the U.S. and just staying where I belong. Going home to my family I haven’t seen in months. NamJoon came in and Jin called Tae and Ho Seok out the room. He said he needed to speak to them. NamJoon came and sat on the side of the bed with me.

            “How are you feeling?” he spoke in English and I felt like I was going to cry, I just hung my head.

            “I want to go home.” I said low.

            “Tomorrow, Jin and I will bring you clothes and you can come home-”

            “No, NamJoon.” I said and looked up at him, his eyes widened as my tears fell down my face.

            “I want to go back home.”