CHAPTER 6

The Empire's Downfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 6[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]The police had arrived a few minutes later. They took the man with the red jacket in custody, and Sehun and Minseok as a witness. The elder was taken to a different office, while Sehun went into another—the one with the criminal inside it. It was the interrogation room, meant to be a one-on-one coversation with just the felony and a specially trained cop. 

 

Normally, they wouldn't let a civilian come on inside such a private office, but once Sehun flashed his government military badge, the head of this police station was all too happy to let him inside. 

 

Sitting in here makes Sehun feel something. No—remember something. From his childhood. It was— 

 

White. The encounter with the police made Sehun remember white. Pure, spotless white, like an empty canvas. What he was before the government got ahold of Sehun's innocence. 

 

Then, without hesitation, they painted it red.  

 

Red. The color of rage. Ruthlessness. Blood. Sullied purity. His heart, once an untainted white, is now colored with multiple shades of red. Now, sitting in the interrogation room next to the cops, Sehun's nostalgia drowns his other senses. 

 

"So, Mr. Hyojin," The interrogater leans towards the criminal from across the room. The long steel table that separated them was looking unstable, like it might break any second now. In such a quaint little section of Seoul, crime rates were extremely low and Sehun knows that this room had not been used in such a long time. The undercover assassin sat on the far corner of the room, away from the man in the red jacket. 

 

"Can you tell me what your goal was when you terrorized the market?" The investigator grills. That was a trick question. They already knew why the man did it. It was to make the man nervous, and more likely to confess. 

 

Sehun knew all about that. After all, he'd been in that situation many years ago. 

 

"So, tell us why you tried to hurt Dr. Gain," an unidentifiable scientist coaxes six-year-old Sehun to answer him. They were sitting inside The Box, a dungeon like room meant to punish test subjects who misbehaved. This time, it was Sehun who did wrong. And he did very, very wrong.  

 

The young kid shakes his head fearfully, eyes wide with terror and scrawny limbs hysterically jerky. The impatient scientist growls under his breath, irritated by Sehun's uncooperativeness.  

 

"Look," the man tries again, voice thinly veiled with anger. "Why did you throw that dagger at Dr. Gain? We had specifically told you to aim at the target—not him!" Because he hurt me, Sehun wanted to scream out. Instead, with a choked voice, he whimpers, 

 

"I don't know, it just happened—please, don't—don't hurt me—I—" A harsh slap from the scientist stops the young test subject fast.  

 

Sehun hears himself screaming in pain before registering that the man had attacked him. He feels the familiar sting on his cheek, and tears gathering in his fearful eyes. Gasps escaping his mouth. Heart threatening to explode inside his chest. 

 

"Stop being so dramatic," the man screams at Sehun angrily. He pushes Sehun down on the dirty ground, and stands up frustratedly. "You're so sensitive! This is not what we made you to be!" The scientist kicks Sehun twice. One to his stomach, the other to his temple. Bursts of shock enters his brain, but was overpowered by pain. "Look here, brat! You are made to be a weapon! How can you be of use if you're so emotional?! Act like what you're meant to be!" 

 

He leaves Sehun there to cry. It was that moment when something inside Sehun had snapped. The man's words rang true. He was made to be a weapon. A killing machine. Killing machines don't cry. They don't feel emotions. Only bloodthirst and anger. The scientist had taught Sehun to be merciless, and to kill without regret. 

 

So he did. He killed the man, without any regret. Him and his partner. Sehun had put in inside a permanent dungeon, even worse than The Box.  

 

Hell. 

 

"Money!" A deep yell shakes Sehun from his memories. It was the man in the red jacket, and it seems like he finally cracked. "I did it for money! What else?! The snobby little heiress promised a good paycheck, and so I did it!" 

 

Sehun an eyebrow at the police officer. It had only been such a short amount of time, and he already got the criminal to confess. 

 

How interesting. 

 

 

 

 

Minseok, despite his angry protests, was taken in as a witness.  

 

Sitting in a small, cramped interrogation room was not his idea of a peaceful day. The seventeen-year-old prided himself on being a meticulous person, who follows a very strict and daily routine. And, nowhere on the routine did it say, 'have an encounter with a crazy thug and be brought into a police station as a witness', and yes, Minseok's checked the list multiple times already. 

 

"So, what exactly did the man say again?" The officer asks monotonously. He was a sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter