CHAPTER 16

The Empire's Downfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 16[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]            It was exactly what he had expected.

 

            The boy was Sehun.

 

            Yixing covers his mouth, trying to hold back tears. He had his suspicions, but knowing he was right was another story. Sehun had gone through all of this. He had gone through all the torture, all the mistreatment, all of the tests. Sure, it made him invincible, but not without a price. And, knowing that even now, Sehun still hasn't been able to escape from the government's greedy hands had Yixing's heart drop and break. He stands there for awhile, not able to look at Sehun's younger self through the phone.

 

            Then, a cold, detached voice that wasn't his own breaks the silence.

 

            "So. You figured it out."

 

            The young heir turns around to find the man he had shed tears about. Sehun was standing there, in the flesh, face stony and eyes a furious grey.

 

            "Tell me, Yixing, what do you plan on doing now?"

 

            He wants to run away. He wants to hit the undo button and never find out about this place—about Sehun. The boy was dangerous. He was a killing machine, a weapon made by the government. Yixing wants nothing to do with any of his family's affairs, but the more rational part of him stays.

 

            He stays and puts on the bravest face he can muster, before boldly stating, "nothing."

 

            Sehun coldly stares at him, cocking an eyebrow.

 

            "I'm not going to do anything," Yixing answers earnestly. "I... I trust you. So, if you're worried about me telling the Resistance or anything, I—"

 

            "Don't bother," Sehun cuts in ruthlessly, "they already know. I spilled my guts to them a few weeks ago to gain their trust. You don't think they'd blindly trust someone working for the government, do you?" His eyes softened for a millisecond before going back to hard steel. "Just don't tell the others about this. They don't need to know, especially that loudmouth Jongin."

 

            Yixing doesn't say anything.

 

            The look on his face was enough to tell Sehun he'd never betray him.

 

 

 

            Kai doesn’t know what had happened, but Sehun and Yixing had grown even closer than ever during their trip. He knows that it was Sehun's job to watch over the boy, but he still wasn't able to swallow down the ugly jealousy that rose up his throat. The green monster was choking him, even though he knew he had no right to be envious.

 

            The elegant, modelesque boy wasn't his. He never was, and he most likely never will be. However, seeing him joking around with Yixing gave him ugly emotions. Although Sehun had always been touchy with him, he'd never looked that carefree around Kai.

 

            He supposes some of it was his fault. He'd been so stubborn on not letting Sehun see him as a weak kid that he pushes him away, until Sehun got tired of him. Kai's heart turns to hard, heavy stone, and plunges down the marble floor with a loud, weighty thunk.

 

            He forces himself to walk down the school halls, careful not to put too much weight on his injured leg that was currently trapped inside a bulky, ugly cast boot. He no longer had to use a crutch, which he was thankful for. Noticing his injury, many people parted their way for him while simultaneously giving him pitying looks. Kai hates it. He hates being perceived as weak, he hates being treated like a China doll, he hates how, even though he was fairly athletic, he's always overshadowed by people like Sehun, or even his brother.

 

            Gritting his teeth, the injured boy trudges on to class miserably. Two more minutes till the bell rang, and with the pace he's going at, he'll be late for sure. Hopefully, Jongdae excuses him for his tardiness. It's one of the perks of having him as a teacher.

 

            Trying hard not to make his limp noticeable, Kai quickens his long strides and disperses through the crowd. And then, he heard it—

 

            Sehun's name.

 

            But not from his friends—the voices were too rough and carried a more violent tone to it. His curiosity spikes, and decided to check out what they were talking about, and why Sehun's name was brought up. The bronze boy follows his ears. It leads him to a nearby boy's restroom that was overflowing with cigarette butts and offensive slu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter