CHAPTER 3

The Empire's Downfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 3[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]For an extremely famous heiress, Jung Soojung sure was nothing special. It's already been three days since Kai housed her, and he can safely say she's identical to a walking corpse. Her beauty is now stained with bloodshot eyes and paper thin skin, her once talkative nature is now replaced with short, hoarse words and vulnerable whimpers. Kai wonders what kind of trauma she went through to go through such a dramatic change.  

 

"She asked to borrow your phone again, Kai," Minseok whispers as he walks out her room. Soojung was currently staying in the younger's room, while the two brothers shared a bedroom for the time being.  

 

"Again?" Kai frowns, speaking in hushed tones. "That's the third time today. What could she possibly be doing?" Minseok shrugs, walking away. 

 

"Who knows? You better give her what she wants though. Runaway or not, she's still an heiress. One of her hair strands alone can buy our house." Kai sighs, reaching in his pocket for his phone. He has long deleted all the obvious evidence on his phone, thanks to Sehun. The important information was extracted and kept in a small flash drive, which he wears on his neck, disguised as a cheap-looking necklace. Even if someone where to take it from him, all the firewalls and passwords he put up will prevent them from going in. Call Kai paranoid, but if someone were to find out, it wasn't just his life that was at stake. 

 

It was his entire family's life, too.  

 

Taking a deep breath, Kai boldly walks towards Soojung's room and knocks. After the third one, the door opens, revealing the tired and broken face of the runaway celebrity. She silently holds out her small, bony hands, waiting for Kai's phone.  

 

"Hey," Kai asks hesitantly, "If you don't mind me asking, who are you calling?" Soojung jerks her head up, as if she wasn't expecting the question. Her dark eyes locked with his, trying to find a hidden message with his words. When she found none, Soojung ducks her head down again. 

 

"I've been trying to call my father," She whispers. "He's not responding. No one has. I've got to keep trying though," the pale girl adverts her eyes. "Can you give me the phone now?" Startled, Kai looks at his hands only to see that he hasn't given his cell phone to her. Blushing, the tan male hands her the phone hastily.  

 

"I'll go now," Kai chuckles nervously. "Sorry about prying. It's none of my business. I'll see you at supper, alright?" Soojung nods dully, moving to close the door.  

 

Kai curses, ashamed he asked that question in the first place. He walks into the kitchen, looking for his dad. "She'll be coming down for supper, dad!" Kai calls out. The brunette sighs, running a hand through his hair.  

 

Since when did his life become so complicated?  

 

Oh. Right. Kai's eyes darkens as he remember the events from two years ago. That's when it became complicated. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"And here, son, is our most famous lab facility!" Mr. Zhang gestures at the spacious room. It was surprisingly spotless and barren of medical instruments, the opposite of what you would expect from a science lab. "It's currently being remodeled, which is why it's so empty," The man answers Yixing's unsaid question.  

 

"This is the medical lab, right dad?" Yixing smiles. He forces what he hopes is an eager expression, trying to conceal his disgust for the place. After doing that all his life, the expression comes naturally now. It was like a second nature, a second skin.  

 

Speaking of second skin, Yixing wonders if his father's company had developed that yet, and whether or not they were testing it out on humans or animals. It wouldn't surprise him; so much of the research is kept a secret, even to the heir of the company.  

 

"Yes, Yixing," His father beams. "You are catching on quickly! Now, let's go see the other faculties. I know you're interested in the surgery field, so we'll head there first..." Discreetly looking around, the Chinese boy wonders how many corners Zhang Corps cutted to advance so far. Nodding every-so-often, Yixing pretends he's listening to his father speak.  

 

"Dad?" The heir interrupts, "I'm feeling pretty exhausted. Can I be excused from this tour? I'm sure you have more important things to do." The older man looks momentarily surprised, but brushes it off good naturedly.  

 

"Of course, kiddo!" Mr. Zhang laughs boisterously. "Just be back in the dining room for supper—we have some special guests waiting to meet you." Bowing quickly, Yixing retreats to his room. Anywhere away from his father. Away from the monstrosities this place had to offer. The pale boy hastens his pace, until he reaches the large elevator. Smiling politely at the few scientists on, Yixing makes sure he doesn't seem suspicious to them. His father and mother were extremely paranoid about his safety, and often hired secret bodyguards to spy on him and report anything out-of-the-ordinary about him.  

 

Yet another secret he knew they were keeping from him. Yixing was sure there were ones in Kirin High—he just hasn't found any yet.  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter