CHAPTER 14

The Empire's Downfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 14[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Kai sighs, leaning on his bed's headboard, while surfing the web for any government secrets. He was on a break after his injury, and the thought of being MIA to the team had itched him constantly. While Minseok and Sehun were on a mission to infiltrate a local government HQ, he was bedridden until his foot heals. He knew that Sehun was secretly happy about it, but didn't comment on it.  

 

Taking the paler boy's advice and joining Yixing was bad enough, he didn't need Sehun's Earth-sized ego to grow bigger.  

 

Huffing, the injured boy scrolls through countless and countless of baseless rumors on BlackList.Com, until one caught his eye.  

 

It was a grainy picture of the boy he saw through a security footage a long time ago. Blurry, zoomed in white hair, black skull mask, and intense violet eyes from fifty feet away. The title of the blog was 'Mysterious Government Assassin', and it peaked Kai's interest even further.  

 

"Yifan's right hand man," he reads aloud. "A man who goes by the name of Skull Reaper... an urban legend, but a popular one. He's said to be stronger, smarter, and faster than any man, and does all the dirty work our precious Emperor assigns him. Linked to hundreds of unsolved death cases, he's a force to be reckoned with. We aren't sure if he's real, but many clues point to his existence." The blog page was made five hours ago.  

 

He had to tell Jongdae before it gets taken down.  

 

 

 

Sehun advances inside the LabTech building, feeling drowsy from the taxing mission, but somewhat accomplished. He watches Minseok as he attempts to negotiate with his parents on the phone, warily explaining to them why he needed to stay the night at Yixing's house again, and reassuring them that Kai's leg was fine, he just fell is all. The assassin watches as Minseok bargains with them, saying that if they let him stay he'll work harder on school. 

 

A static voice flares into his earpiece, telling him to report to Jongdae's office before he cleans up. Letting out a melodramatic sigh, the double agent gestures for his partner in crime to speed it up, before quickening his pace. 

 

 

 

"Here are your precious files," Sehun casually tosses the flash drive to the man behind the big, intimidating desk. Minseok stands rigidly next to him like a perfect mannequin. "Anything else?" 

 

"Go clean up," Jongdae doesn't even look at them, hands too busy tapping at his keyboard and eyes scanning the bright screen in front of him. "Then, meet up at Kai's hospital room in twenty minutes. The kid found something that links up to these files." 

 

"Whatever." 

 

"Yes sir." 

 

Twenty minutes later, they both arrive at the somber white room. Both of Sehun's eyes were on a man, who, despite his petite stature, radiated power and a cocksure aura. Jet black hair, droopy yet alert eyes, and thin lips set in a seemingly permanent frown make up the man before him. 

 

"Minseok, Sehun, meet Byun Baekhyun," Chanyeol introduces. "He's the founder of the Resistance, so show some respect." 

 

"Pardon me, but did we do something wrong to have a person of such high power visit us?" Minseok's high voice slightly quivers, a drop of unconfidence standing out among a pool of fearlessness.  

 

"Just the opposite," Baekhyun speaks. His voice was a smooth tenor, and compliments his features. Sehun has a feeling this man was a lot older than he let on. "Kim Jongin here," Kai flinches at the sound of his real name. Sehun feels the corners of his lips twitch up. "Just found a missing piece to our puzzle. According to him, Wu Yifan is said to have a right hand man. We've long ago been wary of those rumors, but if it is true, then everything adds up. For rookies, you kids have risen up faster than any other group has ever done. That's why I am personally putting your group in charge of this case. Don't disappoint me." 

 

"Yes sir," they all chorused. In a split second, Sehun realizes the boy he was supposed to look out for wasn't here. Panic filled his mind, until Chanyeol grips his shoulder tightly and murmurs,  

 

"Yixing is preparing for his trip to China. This time, you'll be coming with him. I'll fill you in on the details later." Anxiety rolls off Sehun's shoulders, as his eyes visibly soften. Chanyeol lets go of his grip, and bows as Baekhyun walks off. The assassin's eyes trail after the notorious man, when something registers into him. It was a small shock of recognition, but nothing else. Pursing his lips, Sehun continues playing the role of a docile pawn until the man leaves. 

 

The door slams, disrupting the silence. Chanyeol clears his throat, and gestures for them to come closer. Kai gets up with little difficulty, but wasn't used to the cast on his leg and holds onto his brother for support.  

 

"So, what Byun Baekhyun was saying is that, from now on, all of your missions serve one objective: finding out more about Yifan's right hand man, Skull Reaper. Rookies usually get their objectives after a year of working, so I guess you guys are an exception. I will now also play a larger role in your missions, since I'm also in charge of cases like this. Just know that not much has come out of this mystery, so be wary. Yixing's trip to Beijing might unearth a few clues, but don't keep your hopes up. That's all. I'll see you kids later." Chanyeol walks off, giving Sehun a pointed look one last time. 

 

Minseok clears his throat, and Sehun realizes the Kim brothers probably wanted alone time. He excuses himself, but a hand grabbing his own stops him short. Strong, slender fingers interlaced with his, pleading him to stay. 

 

"You're going to China in a few days. Stay with us while you can," Kai coughs, deliberately not making eye contact. The assassin feels a smirk rising up, but suppresses it with difficulty. 

 

"I'm flattered that you want to spend time with me, Jongin," Sehun teases. He grips the hand entangled with his harder, but not to the point of hurting Kai. "Just last month you didn't want to be in the same room as me. I guess I'll stay since you asked so nicely, Jonginnie~" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter