Record 04

Mavericks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Record #04

 

Honestly, I wasn’t able to sleep. Multiple nightmares haunted me. Even if I told myself I was ok, I still imagined my kids’ scared faces. It didn’t matter if my bed was comfy to lullaby to sleep, my brain pulled a whole new game for me. Fire, broken bones, blood, houses destroyed and else. I couldn’t sleep any further, so I stay awake, looking at the night passing by in my window, and with a heavy heart and shivering body.

I realized it would take more than one night to fix my feelings and what I’ve been through hours ago. Even if I had already cried my heart out in the woods, it wasn’t enough, it wouldn’t be ever enough.

I was suffering by myself. And it hurt, a lot. But I didn’t have anyone who I can go and tell what’s on my mind. Even if these people saved me, I still didn’t possess the enough courage to be completely honest with them.

I breathed in and out, and stood up when looked at the clock. I changed my clothes. There was a variety of them in dark or neutral colors. The fabric was soft to the touch and versatile. Since I was taking training in the morning, I chose black leggings, a hunter green tank top and, which took me by surprise to found, a pair of black training shoes, and a second pair of shoes. I had my old but still favorite and worn out dark boots. I also found clean undergarments in the closet, which made feel quite uneasy since it fitted me perfectly. Told myself to let it go, if someone tries something weirds to me, I have my dagger. I need to carry a dagger wherever I go, just in case. I styled my hair into a ponytail and satisfied with it, I noticed I still had time to find something to eat. I walked to the cafeteria, which wasn’t full since it was really early, and grabbed a piece of chicken sandwich and a bottle of water even if I saw different juices and a variety of meals. I just opted for something simple and fast. And my body isn´t use to drink such sugary drinks, it might make me sick later on.

I walked towards the room where training was supposed to be held with my breakfast in hand and entered when finished. As soon as I arrived I noticed around 30 people there, even if I arrive around ten minutes before, people seemed to arrive earlier. I assumed most the people here must be just simple workers, soldiers. I understood this company not only trained Hybrids, but also its normal employees.

I searched for familiar faces, but gave up after a few seconds. What could I expect? I only knew four people in this entire place. One still in nursing, another making company, other assisting her and the other anywhere else, but here.

“Eunbyul!”

I turned towards the door and saw Anri, whose hair was styled into a perfect side braid, walking towards me. She was wearing a loose blue navy shirt which allowed me to see the strap of her dark bralette, grey shorts, kneepads and the same pair of shoes as I do in the same color. It took me by surprise to find her here. I assumed she still needed to rest, but there she was, standing before my eyes with the most energizing smile and warm attitude.

“Good choice to not skip training,” she said.

And what if did? Anri responded me there was punishment. Never had she opted when younger to skip, even if she wasn’t fond of it, but she was smart enough to imagine there would be consequences if she do so. She did heard from friends different exhausting, hilarious and stressful experiences. She even told me once when Jungkook skipped and he couldn’t lift a spoon for three days. And this happened once to Taehyung too, who couldn’t walk for more than a minute nor standing long for four days. But never had Jungkook, Taehyung or her friends had mentioned her what kind of stuff they obligate you to do, it was one of the rules.

Try yourself if you are curious of the punishment. Those were their words.

“Anri, what are we supposed to do here?” I asked as she motioned me to follow her.

“Mostly, teach people how to shoot with guns, arrows or knives, test your physical condition, teach how to create knots and else,” she said once she stopped and handed me a new big bottle of water telling me I might need it later.

I looked at her curiously and said what was on my mind. “You aren’t here as a student, are you?”

“You are smart,” she smiled. “In fact, I’m one of the coaches.”

And judging by her response I assumed the other two boys were coaches too. Anri signaled me where Taehyung and Jungkook were. They just arrived and were at the other side of the room and looked really attractive even in training clothes. What else can I expected from them? They were clever, strong and agile. And I didn’t know if I should be scared or not of them. I mean, acting as friends and acting as teachers are two different things. And somehow I expect them to be really strict with people here.

A sudden ring alert me it was already seven and people around stopped their tracks and aligned in the room. I stood in my place and people positioned behind me, as a row. A row behind me and to my sides was created. I looked to my front and there were they, Taehyung, Jungkook and Anri. All standing together with other three boys.

In that moment, I realized how petite Anri was. She reached a little bit higher than Jungkook’s chest, but her body had hidden muscles, which weren’t that evident in comparison to the other boys. She was lightweight but strong, I knew it. They separate us in groups of six to seven people.

The first teacher I had was Jungkook, who only laughed at our struggles when running long distances. He pushed us to our maximum for about hour and half. I swear I didn’t feel my legs when the time ended. At that moment, the only thing in my mind was water. And I finished my bottle in just seconds. I felt like hating him right now, but when he noticed me looking at him, he smiled innocently. I felt like punching that good-looking face of his.

Then my group moved to this boy, who was around his mid-twenties. This time he taught us about snares and knots. After this, we moved towards Anri, whose section was practicing with weapons. I noticed a shelf full with different kind of small guns, daggers and knives. People around me chose what they felt most comfortable. To the front there were human size puppets, which vital points were highlighted with red dots. I made eye contact with her, something most were avoiding. Anri gave me a loaded gun and motioned me to shot to any spot I wanted. I looked at her troubled and scared. "Anri, I don't think-"

"Just do it," she interrupt firmly. "Think there's no one looking at you and aim it."

My hold became stiff as I lifted my trembling hands and chose the brain dot. I positioned myself behind the line and tried to see clearly, but I was nervous. Never had I shot anything. Never had I even hold a gun! It was beyond my imagination, holding a killing weapon. I carefully pulled the trigger and I got shocked with the strong sound emitted. I noticed how Anri sighed. She was disappointed, pretty much. I lifted my eyes towards the blank. I had aimed just between the eyebrows. Even if the rest was surprised, Anri nor I liked it. Even if both knew it was a spot in which a person can die from a shot, it wasn’t the ideal spot. It wasn’t a red spot.

"I might sound perfectionist, but it was awful." I nodded sadly. "And I'm telling you this because you can do it better," Anri reassured me. "You can aim the blank perfectly without even wanting to."

Can I? Probably. Because my Soul represents a hunter. An animal that can catch its prey perfectly.

"But you are too nervous, Eunbyul," Anri smiled softly. "You need to be more confident with yourself."

I nodded shyly. "Will you still teach me?"

"Of course," Anri said. "That’s what I’m here for."

It was difficult though. The red dots were about an inch, even less, and difficult to aim and see at first. Even I was able to see the dot perfectly, like Anri said, I was way too nervous to accomplish a perfect shot. It was different to shoot with a gun in comparison with a knife or a dagger. The latter was smaller and lighter.

Anri made each of us shot several times with different puppets and gave each of us some kind of advice. She told others to hold their weapons steady. She told us how to stand and keep balance. She even taught us how to use a gun without her holding one. Her hands were free from any weapon the whole time.

The training time ended there. I wasn’t able to pass through the other boys, who had fighting lessons, nor Taehyung, who seemed to be teaching about plants, camouflage and fruits by judging his spot. I actually thought I will be interesting to see him as a teacher, but didn’t have the chance to. For now.

Anri came beside me and told me to head towards the cafeteria to eat together. She said she’ll be waiting there. I came back to my room

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter