Record 16

Mavericks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Record #16

 

Jimin and J-Hope came back with three ducks, each missing a leg, and two rabbits. Jimin had hunted the ducks and J-Hope, who I was told was a sniper, the rabbits by shooting their chest area. I came with the conclusion J-Hope had never hunt a small animal before just by noticing where he aimed. Jimin, in the other case, cut the duck’s leg to prevent them from running and latter risked their necks making it a fast kill.

 

“Next time, aim their head. Just where their ears start and in the middle of their eyes,” I suggested by signaling him the spot where with the rabbit J-Hope had in his hand. “Or at the end of their eyes,” I signaled. “That's where their brains are.”

 

He smiled widely. “Thanks for the advice.”

 

“You should have hunted another animal,” Anri added and sighed. “Jungkook will refuse to eat the rabbits and Mikki will kill us if we give her the duck.”

 

Jimin followed us to the kitchen, carrying the dead animals. “Simple. You should give Mikki the rabbit and Jungkook the duck.”

 

She wasn't pleased with the idea. “Eunbyul can you help me extract the bullets?”

 

“Sure.”

 

As I collected the bullets from the rabbit's chest, I noticed Jungkook came inside. They were talking as Anri prepared a salad. I was a few meters away, but I heard them whispering. I was able to catch part of their conversation, but the living room noise made it quite difficult. The boys never shut up even in the most awkward situation.

 

“Why don't you go and bother Suga instead?”

 

“He's sleeping. And I'm bored.”

 

“I don't get how he can sleep with all this noise.”

 

He followed her where she went, helped her to cut the vegetables and reached the things she couldn’t.

 

“See. At least, I'm being helpful here.”

 

“Still. Go and play poker with Jimin, V and J-Hope.”

 

“I got bored of it. Besides, it’s not funny if I always win.”

 

“Really? You didn't cheat, did you? Last time, you did because you almost lose all your candies.”

 

“I didn't! This time was legal.” He pouted and she giggled.

 

I had already finished what Anri asked me to do, but watching them interact was cute and funny. They acted as best friends, but their eyes say otherwise. Every time their eyes met, I felt a tension both emanated. It was a mix of longing, restraint and feathery aura.

 

Neither did anything to hide it.

 

I left silently and let them be.

 

“Eunbyul, thanks!”

 

“Don't worry,” I said. Jungkook’s smile turned wider once he realized they’ll be alone.

 

I sat next to Taehyung, who was concentrated on his game. Mikki was playing too. And certainly, they were betting candies. Chocolates, acid gums, lemon candies, bubble gums and else.

 

Where the heck did they get all this sweets?

 

Anri cooked dinner. And followed Jimin’s suggestion.

 

After a few hours, it was hour time to patrol. Jungkook and I climbed to the ceiling. He carried a rifle in his back and I had my spear and knives. We sat in the edge of the roof, where Jungkook’s legs hang and mine were crossed. He gave me a slice of the pear he was eating.

 

I noticed Ace hidden in the woods not far from us. Bella flew towards us and sat near me. It was her away to say she’s watching us too. I patted her head and she flew away after Jungkook gave her a piece of the pear too.

 

The stars shined brightly in the enormous sky. My eyes wonder around the trees and a bit deeper as my eyes changed color. Nature was sleep. My ears vibrated after some meters of watching and my head hurt.

 

“As much as I like to see your hazel eyes, you shouldn't force yourself that much.”

 

My eyes turned to its normal color and scoffed. “I just wanted to make sure there's nothing suspicious going around. Besides, don't you get to see the other's eye color change often?”

 

As far as I knew, Hybrids can change their eye color to hazel in certain situations.

 

“Yeah. But it's more attractive in a girl.”

 

I eyed him oddly. I could be wrong, but was he trying to flirt? But then, it's the way he acts. He noticed it and laughed it off as he finished his fruit.

 

“Don't get the wrong idea. I'm just saying what I think.”

 

“I know. You’re really bold.”

 

“Besides, someone will kill me if I try to steal you away,” he mumbled fast. Yet I was able to catch every single word, but I acted as I didn't hear.

 

Anri showed up from the inside and asked us if we needed anything. I took a glance from down to up, from her to Jungkook, who assured her we were just fine. After she told me to take care of the little bunny boy, I giggled. So did him, but his way different from mine. His was playful and smitten.

 

Jungkook kept looking at the spot Anri stand seconds ago. “Someday she'll pay for giving me embarrassing nicknames.”

 

“Jungkook,” I called him, “when you truly realized you care for her?”

 

He sighed and smiled. “Am I that obvious?”

 

“At least for me, you are.”

 

I took him a few seconds to respond back, but he did. He told me his story. “When I was fourteen. At that time, I didn't pay attention to it. I thought of it as a small crush I could get over with. But I couldn't. As best friends and partners, we stick together most of the time which only made my situation more complicated and my feelings to grow. When I turned fifteen, I needed to leave for a year training BHE provided to improve my abilities. You didn't need one since Anri choose to send you to the woods and test you. So, I believed I could get over my crush by being away from her,” he sighed and his eyes wander in the forest. “It didn't happen. In fact, I knew I was already ed before going away.”

 

“How so?”

 

“After I saw a boy flirting with her and she responded back, I grew annoyed. I tried to ignore her, but she stick around me asking about my cold behavior. She even tried to apologize without knowing the reason why I was mad at her. One day, she told me she was going on with Rap Monster and V for some business relating issue, but I didn’t pay attention to her because I was still angry. Then, one day, before she even came back, I had to leave because I had already fulfill the requirements for the year training. So I left too, but send her a video telling her I was sorry and other personal things. The moment I left her, I truly completely realized how screw I was because my stupid heart was longing for her every single moment. I cared for her more than just a friend and only prayed she didn’t hate me for what I did.”

 

“She didn’t.”

 

Jungkook smiled. “In fact, once I came back, she was the first person who received me. I got surprised at how much her hair had grown from her previous short hair and how beautiful she became in just a year. Anri smiled, cried, hugged me and hit me. She was utterly glad to see me again,” he stopped for a second and laughed. “I still remember she calling me a thoughtless and selfish idiot, and other silly names.”

 

“Have you told her?”

 

Jungkook nodded. “She rejected me.”

 

I almost lose it. I tried to not choke with my own saliva. Did that really happen? I mean. It's obvious both have feelings for each other, but she really rejected him?

 

Maybe, her heart didn't feel the same as his at that time, which I completely doubt. Maybe, she has her own personal reasons she doesn't want Jungkook to know. Maybe, she's afraid it'll affect their relationship. Maybe, who knows?

 

“I thought the situation will get weird between us, but she did her best to maintain our friendship. She apologized many times and I couldn't get mad at her. I was so into her that being near her was enough.”

 

“You're getting cheesy.”

 

He laughed and apologized. “You know, I even try dating other girls. But, things didn't work out.”

 

“You dated Mikki, didn't you?” Silence. His ears were turning red. “I guess you did.”

 

“Sometimes I hate it when you read people so easily.”

 

That's why their relationship is weird and distant. Though I've seen them share small acknowledging smiles, I've never seen them hold a proper conversation.

 

Jungkook told me more details about Anri, and even Mikki.

 

Mikki was Anri’s first female friend. At first, they didn't get along due to her opposite personalities. Mikki was reserved, but direct. A defiant female who judges you by appearance and action. The one who speaks her mind, and only aids the ones she truly trust. And, Anri, she's sharp and cheerful. She's willing to risk her life for anyone. She's the kind of person who'll help you without judging you.

 

That's why Mikki started trusting her. Anri had saved her. Even after a year of them not getting along, Anri had sacrifice herself for Mikki.

 

How so?

 

Mikki and Anri were being followed by Hunters in an abandoned sector of South West. They had gotten lost in the silent city late at night. Curfew had hit and they two teens had been forced to team up in the search of a dangerous Chimera wandering nearby.

 

Most of the time together, they spent it fighting. They didn’t agree in ideas or where to head. Mikki had said she knew the exact track the beast had gone to by her device. And Anri said she knew by the smell. It went like that for at least two hours. And they had promised to end it in less than one.

 

They were caught in the middle of the dim lights roads by Hunters.

 

All were in search for them. The alarms were on and blasting loudly. Warning and alarming everyone about their ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter