Bad News

Dream Turned Into Reality

Jongin's POV

"Yah yah yah! I saw Hyejung! Did you see the guy talking to her?" Chen said.

I didn't notice any guy. I thought to myself. Maybe because she was the only person i'd been trying to search for the entire festival.

I ed my shirt. It was hot, but i must say, i was happy. But this guy that Chen hyung just mentioned, it kind of bothered me a little.

"Was he handsome?" i asked and was a little surprised at how my voice sounded. I sounded like i cared. 

"Ehem." Minseok hyung coughed beside me, taking his jacket off. 

"What?" i asked and regretted it when my voice came out like a shriek. Did i really like this girl?

"What?" Baekhyun hyung imitated, making the rest laugh. 

"To answer your question, yes he was." Chen hyung said. How handsome can that guy be? "Not that it matters to you right?" he asked, and i wasn't sure if he knew what i said in my mind. 

"Oh, it matters a lot to him alright." D.O hyung said. Him too? 

There wasn't any schedule for the rest of the night and i was more than thankful to hear that. The rest of the week would be tiring as hell and sleep is everything i want right now.

Although, seeing her again and talking to her Wouldn't be so bad. I'm surprised how i'm actually so hyped up to meet her. 

We were in the van now and usually after a performance, i'd go to the company to practice alone and clean up some steps but tonight, i wanted some company. And i have one person in mind for that.

Author's POV

After the festival, Taeyong and Hyejung exchanged numbers. She actually has a friend now. Well, she already has EXO but it's not like she can go out with then whenever she wants or call them to hang out at a café or something. 

She wished she could but it's impossible when there are cameras and wild fangirls following them everywhere. She was glad to not be part of the category.

Hyejung and Taeyong enjoyed hanging out with each other. They found it nice to be friends with a fangirl and fanboy of a k-pop group. It was different and fascinating. Especially when all the girls were screaming together, she was screaming and shouting with a male instead. 

Plus, she wouldn't have to argue with him over the member she likes.

Taeyong wanted to sent Hyejung home. He told her that it was a basic courtesy as a guy and he has female cousins who has been stalked a few years back. It was dangerous for a girl to be walking home alone in the night.

But stubborn Hyejung kindly rejected his offer. 

She knew he was just being nice but she didn't want to trouble him. They just met that day and it would be a burden if he did that.

She was always the type of person that didn't like bothering others. She knew she could depend on others but she wanted to try being independent, now that she's 19. Their offers will always be appreciated by her because if anything does happen, she knows who to approach.

And because she didn't like causing trouble to people, she was especially grateful to Mrs Seo for making her stay in Seoul happen comfortably. Once she finds a job, she would definitely return her kindness with something better.

But Hyejung didn't know that her presence in the apartment was a huge gift for Mrs Seo.

~~~

Hyejung took the bus home, earphones plugged in and EXO's christmas album played.

It didn't matter what time of the year it was, she just loved their christmas album—be it from the last few years or the most recent one, she loved it all.

She thought back to the moment when Jongin winked at her during Lucky. She blushed at the memory. 

She didn't have to make so much effort now to get his attention because he knows her and she's not just a fan, but their friend and neighbor now.

When she arrived at the apartment building, images of her parents flashed in her mind out of the blue. It instantly reminded her of her responsibility to call them up.

I need to call them.

She missed them for sure but she didn't know if they felt the same about her. They didn't even make an effort to call her, even when she was living thousands of kilometers away from home.

She was upset but she made sure to be understanding about it. She dialed her Canadian house number. 

Since it was already night in Seoul, it meant that the sun would already be peeking out in Canada.

It was the perfect timing to call them. With her phone pressed against her right ear, she walked slowly to the lift lobby.

After half a minute of waiting and strolling, her call was answered.

"Hello?" The person on the other line said. She sounded old and familiar but she knew it wasn't her mum.

"Mrs Lee?" Their Korean house keeper.

"Hyejung? Omo Hyejung-ah!"

"Mrs Lee? What are you doing there? Where's mum and dad?"

There was silence for a moment. Hyejung didn't feel too good about it.

"Mrs Lee? Are you there?" Hyejung entered the lobby with slow steps.

"Your mum didn't tell you?" Her voice became soft and careful, like what she's about to say could sting her.

"Tell me what? What are you doing there Mrs Lee? I thought mum sent you home for two months.." 

Summer was almost ending and Mrs Lee's family lived in the South part of Canada while Hyejung lived in the East. Every year when summer was almost over, Mrs Lee would be given the permission to go back to her hometown to visit her family there. She only had one child who was married, but she never misses the chance to see her granddaughter.

"Hyejung-ah, listen to me honey. Your dad had a heart attack." Hyejung stopped in her tracks, her banner slipping out of her grasp.

"Wh-What?" she asked in a whisper. Was her ears playing with her?

"He was sent to the hospital last night and your mum went with him. She called me right after and i just arrived actually." 

"Mrs Lee, tell me his fine." Her voice was husky and low from the festival as well as the shock.

"I don't know Hyejung, your mum hasn't updated me.." 

"Should i go back?" 

"What? No way! You just arrived in Seoul sweetie.. Your dad will be fine, i assure you."

Hyejung didn't say anything.

"Hyejung sweetie, i know you're worried but his going to be just fine okay? Let's both pray for him." Was it supposed to be comforting? 

"Alright, i will.. Mrs Lee?" she called out.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Tell me if anything happens okay.." Hyejung spoke softly.

"For sure darling, you take care there. Bye bye." she hung up.

Picking up the banner she dropped, she hugged it and let out a shaky breath.

"Oh god, please save my dad.." she whispered and started walking again. She tried to hold back her tears. She hated crying in an open area. She hated crying anywhere that didn't give her privacy.

As she walked to the elevator, she heard a bunch of guys entering the lobby. They were definitely a rowdy bunch.

"Hyejung-ah!" Someone called from behind. 

She turned around and saw her famous neighbors walking towards her. Oddly, they were still loud and noisy after the festival. Almost as if none of that tired them out. Because Hyejung might not be the one who performed but boy was she exhausted.

She didn't say anything. She just gave them a bitter smile.

Jongin noticed it and asked, "Hyejung, what's wrong?" He was getting closer to where she was standing.

She shook her head and bit her lips. "N-Nothing.." she whispered and forced a smile.

The rest of the members stood around her and asked again. "Hyejung-ah, you don't look okay." Suho admitted.

"I'm fine, really! I guess i'm just exhausted." It wasn't a complete lie. Indeed, she felt like falling into bed and not worry about her fathers well being.

"Oh, you guys totally owned the stage just now!" she tried her best to sound like she wasn't going through a mental breakdown. There was no way she wanted to annoy them with her problems.

It worked because the topic shifted from her to the festival. Jongin, Sehun and Chanyeol still felt something odd about her but they decided not to say anything first.

They stepped into the elevator together which was surprising because they could all fit in easily. Well, that was obvious since all of them had great builds. 

Jongin stood behind Hyejung in the elevator. The members were talking about the festival with her but she didn't seem to react much to it.

Her laugh was oddly bitter and uncomfortable to listen to but nobody seem to notice it. She played with her fingers and bit her lips. She was always looking down and avoiding their eyes. Jongin knew she wasn't fine.

They reached the 11th floor after about a short 25 seconds which seemed like forever to the girl.

"Goodnight Hyejung! Thanks for coming!" Chen said and went in.

"Goodnight!" Sehun smiled and patted her head. 

"Cheer up beautiful.. Goodnight.." Chanyeol whispered into her ears, making her smile softly at him with a blush.

And one by one they bid her goodbye, leaving her alone with Jongin.

She didn't know he was still there since her eyes was so focused on the ground. She walked slowly to her doorstep, her mind all the way in Canada.

Jongin grabbed her hands, making her body jump slightly. "Mian.."

Hyejung blinked her eyes repeatedly as she came back to reality. She shook her head. "No, no it's okay.." she whispered.

"What happened?" he asked right away.

They came face to face. She would usually blush and get all flustered but it just wasn't the right time for that. She had much important things to think about.

"What happened?" she blinked her eyes innocently and bit her lips again.

"There's something wrong.." he stepped closer. "You can tell me Hyejung. Right now, i'm Kim Jongin. The guy you saw on stage, that was Kai. Well, technically we're the same person here but yeah whatever. Just tell me what's wrong Hyejung." 

She laughed. "Alright Jongin, goodnight.." she walked away but Jongin was still grabbing her hands tightly. Not today Jongin, i'm sorry..

"You're not going anywhere until you tell me. Hyejung, if i walk in now without an explanation from you, i know i won't be able to sleep. So tell me, please." 

Her eyes started to get watery. It wasn't just about her dad or how much she missed her parents but it was hearing those kind words from Jongin that touched her heart. 

She sighed and looked at him. "M-My dad.." she started, tears ready to fall. 

"He had a heart attack." Her lips quivered as she tried to finish the tender sentence. 

 


OMG GUYS! I made a mistake! I updated chapter 8 before chapter 7, sorry to those who read it!! But this chapter comes first, so sorry! -.-" Enjoy!!!