A Father's Wish

Dream Turned Into Reality

Author's POV

The camping trip ended with a turn of events. Hyejung was still in a deep shock and she's been really awkward with the three brave men—Jongin, Chanyeol and Sehun. 

She imagined her bias liking her but she never thought all three of them would confess their feelings to her. Her dreams was so much better than the reality. What was she to do now? Reject two of them and accept that one person she always liked—it was obvious who she fell in love with. 

But Sehun and Chanyeol wasn't going to back down even though they knew. They could just hope for all they want and watch her fall deeper for Jongin, or they could make an extra effort to win her heart. It wasn't going to be easy but it was worth the shot.

Heading back to Seoul was much calmer and less chaotic because Hyejung requested to follow Chen's car, where all the three weren't there. She was trying to avoid them only because she didn't know how to face them. She was extremely embarrassed and to think that two of them has to get their hearts broken, made hers crack. 

I didn't know it would end up this way! She said to herself as Suho's words haunted her. 

'I don't want them to get hurt..'

The ride on the way back to the apartment was silent, for both cars. Nobody talked and not even the radio was on. Well, the radio was on but who would be able to hear it when the volume was set so low. 

Hyejung turned her head to look at the guys. Baekhyun was in a day dream, staring out the window while he poked at it like he was touching the trees outside. D.O and Xiumin were already in a slumber with their earphones plugged in. And Chen, was just driving calmly as he hummed to a ballad song. 

She looked out the window and leaned back in her seat. She let out a sigh as she stared at the flashing trees. Kim Jongin. Park Chanyeol. Oh Sehun. I can't do this..

She took out her iphone that Suho returned to her earlier on when they were just about to leave the campsite. She was definitely going to miss that place. The BBQ, the hike, the waterfall, the confession.. 

As soon as her phone was , '13 missed calls from Mum' appeared the screen. She straightened her back and sat up. "13 missed calls?" she whispered.

While she was gone, 36 messages from her mum and a text from Mrs Lee was left. Her heart started beating fast and she sensed that it wasn't for a good thing at all. She dialled her mum's number and pressed her phone on her ears.

"Mum?" she called out when the ringing stopped.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN JUNG HYEJUNG?! WHAT KIND OF DAUGHTER ARE YOU?! I TRIED CALLING YOU OVER AND OVER BUT YOU DIDN'T PICK UP!" her mum yelled over the phone and she sounded like she's been crying.

"Mum, you don't have to yell.. I'm sorry.. Why are you so worked up?" Hyejung calmly asked. She hates raising her voice at the older.

"You're sorry?" her mum scoffed. "I want you to come home Hyejung. Come home now." she demanded but she didn't shout to this time. Her voice was as a listless as a dying lady.

"Mum, what are you saying? I can't go back-" 

"Jung Hyejung, your dad's gone." her mum finished with a loud cry. 

Jongin's POV

I hardly uttered a word from when we entered the car until now. But when Baekhyun hyung called Chanyeol hyung that he reacted with a loud, "WHAT?", i had to open my mouth to ask.

"Wae? What happened?" i asked and somehow, i didn't feel too good.

"Hyejung's dad.." He started soft but i managed to hear him. I leaned forward immediately as the rest of them followed.

"He passed away." Chanyeol hyung finished.

Oh no. Hyejung... "How's Hyejung taking it?" i asked worriedly. I wasn't going to deny that i like her and i had the rights to be concerned. 

"Baekhyun didn't mention anything about it.." 

"Hyejung.." i heard Sehun mutter while staring ahead.

The car was silent once again. But i knew that all of us were thinking about the same thing. We were completely caught off guard from the sudden news. We were just having fun for the past two days and this happened. I was extremely worried for Hyejung.

I texted her. Whether or not she wants to reply me, i'm okay with it but i just need to tell her that i was there for her. 

kj; Hey, i heard about your dad and i'm so sorry Hyejung.. I won't tell you to stop being sad because he's gone, but i want you to know that i'll always be there for you.. EXO will be there for you.. You need to stay strong for him, for your mum, for me. 

I clicked send and waited. We were all in grieve as well. The guys and i grew so much closer to her through the trip, so close that i almost didn't realise that she was a fan. And knowing that she lost the most important person in her life made me sad. To think that there was nothing i could do to help her, killed me softly. 

I was shocked to feel a buzz on my right palm. It took her 7 minutes to reply and it actually made me relieve to receive a reply from her. I liked the fact that i was the only one who has her number. 

jh; Thank you Jongin.. 

That was all she said. But i didn't mind it because at least now she knows that if she needed someone, she can always count on us. 

Author's POV

Before separating ways to their own apartment the guys gave her a rub on her back, a pat on her head and a comforting hug. Sehun hugged her the longest and held her close to him because he just felt the need to protect her now that her dad was gone. "Smile, okay?" he grabbed her cheeks and caressed them. Chanyeol and Jongin stood behind them awkwardly as though they were queuing up for a comfort session. 

Hyejung gave him a forced smile and nodded. He the dry tears on her cheeks one last time and spoke into her ears, "Don't let them kiss you." She couldn't help but chuckle of course. She wouldn't expect anything from them although they confessed their feelings to her.

One down, two more to go.

It was Chanyeol's turn now and Jongin was starting to lose his patience. Like, how the hell did it end up to the three of them liking the same girl? He saw her first and he hated that he had compete against his own members. 

"You'll be fine right?" Chanyeol asked her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

She nodded and sniffed. That was enough to convince him. He gave her a hug but it wasn't as long as Sehun, and left almost instantly. 

Jongin raised his eyebrows. Chanyeol was nice enough to make it quick but did he do it on purpose so that Jongin could have the rest of the time with her? Or did he just have nothing to say to her? 

Was he already backing down on this?

"Remember what i texted you? That i'll always be there for you?" Jongin asked.

She nodded. "Believe me okay? No matter how busy i am, if you need me, i'll be there." he told her sincerely.

"Like what you're doing right now?"

Jongin nodded and smiled softly. "Thank you Jongin." she was starting to get emotional again.

But he didn't want to see her tears, so he pulled her into his chest and let her sob all she wants. "Shhh, it's okay, it's okay." he her hair and pressed his lips against her head. 

"You have to be strong. I know you're a strong girl. I saw you jumping wildly in the festival the other day. The crowd was just about to die down but then i saw you there, being all jumpy and energetic." she chuckled in his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist tightly because it was that comfortable. It felt nice to be held by the person she was interested in. But deep down, she was anxious and uncertain.

Because he is Kim Jongin, EXO's Kai while she is just Jung Hyejung.

"You'll be okay Hyejung.. It's just a matter of time." he told her. She pulled away to face him.

And his heart dropped to see the tears still streaming down her face. He wiped them off with his fingers and tugged her hair behind her ears as she started talking.

"I'm just so shocked you know.. It happened unexpectedly and i-i didn't even get to say goodbye." she bit her lips. She was threatened to break down again, but she held it in. She knew that the guy had to go on with his life and not just listen to his sad crush blabber about her regrets.

"You didn't know Hyejung.. Nobody knew.."

She shrugged her shoulders. "You should go in. I'm sure you're tired."

"I would really prefer staying with you." he admitted but she shook her head.

"Jongin-ah, i know you have a schedule tonight."

"Yeah but-" he wanted to protest because the next time he sees her would be in days.

"Go in.. Like you said, i'll be fine." she assured him with a sad smile. Not convincing enough.

"Arasso.." he gave her one last hug.

"Thank you once again.. I'll see you soon." she took a step back and turned around. 

"Hyejung?" Jongin called out.

"Ye-" she twisted her body to face him but she was pushed against the wall when Jongin leaned forward. Their faces were just inches apart and she felt her face heating up.

She stared at him as her heart pumped fast. She almost thought he was going to kiss her but instead, he leaned towards her ears and said, "I hope this isn't too much but, i hope you'll consider my confession." Then he did the most unexpected action by placing a kiss on her cheeks. 

For a moment, her heart stopped. Her eyes widened and she stared at the smirking man. 

"You cried enough today, no more crying okay?" She was still in too much shock to reply. It would have to be one of the best comforts she ever received because she momentarily forgot about her fathers death. 

"I'll text you." he winked.

~~~
The next day 

Hyejung's POV

I was back in Canada. Usually i would be really excited and hyped up to be back but today, right now, i'm here for a different reason. 

I never thought it would be this soon. And I never wished for this. It hit me that if it didn't happen now, it would still occur in the future even though i try to overlook it.

Death is unavoidable and i hate to think that death took over my dad's life.

I didn't want to cry again. After the comfort from the guys, from Jongin, i just wanted to tell them a million thank you's for trying to cheer me up. I didn't want their efforts to make me smile to go to waste, but it was hard to do so.

Because, he's my dad.. And i only have one of him. He's gone from my life forever, without me spending the last moments with him. 

I looked out the window of my room as i watch people dressed in black enter and exit our house. I don't even know who these people are but i'm pretty sure they work with my parents. 

I didn't follow my mum to the cemetery in the morning. Is that terrible? Is that a sin for not sending off my own dad? I can't do it. It hurts too much to know that beneath the ground was where my dad laid. It would kill me to see his name engraved on the stone. 

I was closer to my dad then i was with my mum. I remembered how he was always took my side when i had an argument with mum and he would end up having a fight with her for defending me. 

I remembered the way he chewed his food so annoyingly that i just had to put in a pair of ear plugs to avoid listening to it. 

I remembered how ticklish it felt to kiss him on the cheeks when his growing beard would brush against my skin, making me burst into laughters. 

And whenever i had some doubts, i remembered him telling me to trust myself because he believed that i knew more than i thought i did.

But as i grew older, I forgot that he was ageing as well and i realised that although he didn't have time for me because he's work became the bigger part of his life, he didn't forget to look at me in the eyes and say 'i love you' every single morning before he left.

I came into realisation that i lost my first love. I lost my king. 

"Hyejung.." Mum walked into my room without knocking on the door. She always don't, but i'm not going to start an argument with her about her lack of manners. We only have each other now. 

I wiped away the tears that were still spilling out of my eyes. But when i turned to face her, i just lost it once again. Her eyes were red and swollen even after she stopped crying. She looked like she hasn't been getting any sleep for the last 24 hours and i hate that she was still trying to comfort me with her smile. 

"Mum.." i bit my lips as my body started shaking. 

"My baby.." she said and walked towards me with her hands spread out wide for me. As the gap between us closes, she wrapped her arms around my shoulders as i buried my face into her neck.

"I'm so sorry mum.." my body shook uncontrollably in her arms. "I'm so sorry.." i whispered.

I lost my dad, but she lost the love of her life. 

She was crying with me now and i didn't know what to feel already. She caressed my back with her palms and said, "It's not your fault baby, it's not your fault.."

"But i didn't even get the chance to see him for the last time mum.." i told her and tightened my arms around her. "I miss him already." i admitted. 

"I miss him too darling.." she pulled away and tried to look at me in the eyes. "But we need to let him go.." she cupped my face. 

"But how mum? How?" i touched her hands. 

"Slowly, we take one step at a time." she wiped my tears and i wiped hers. We cracked into a smile for the first time that day and i gave my mum another hug.

"We'll be fine honey." Mum said as she my hair.

There was a sudden knock on the door and i was so thankful to that person for interrupting us because the longer this takes, the more swollen my eyes will be by the end of the day.

"Mrs Song?" It was a guy. And i thought I recognised his voice briefly.

"Who is it?" Mum looked at me as she asked. I raised my eyebrows at her and she shrugged her shoulders. 

"It's me, Jaehyun."

I widened my eyes at my mum. "Han Jaehyun?" i whispered. 

My mum nodded with a smile. "Jaehyun-ah, could you give me 5 minutes sweetie?" 

"Ahhh, okay, i'll meet you below. But are you okay?" he was worried about my mum. I wondered if he knew i was there because i was certainly surprised to acknowledge his presence. 

"I am sweetie. I'll see you downstairs." Mum told him as her voice cracked towards the end. 

"Okay.." he said and left.

I looked at my mum, waiting for an explanation to what my secret admirer from 3 years ago was doing in our house. "What is he doing here?" 

"I need to tell you something honey. And i hope you take this like a grown lady, okay?" she dragged me to my bed and sat on the edge with me by her side. 

"Before your dad passed away.." she started. "He told me his death wish.." she looked at me with hope but i had a feeling she didn't know how to tell me.

"Okay... What is it?" i asked carefully. 

"He wants you to marry Jaehyun." 

 


WHAT EVEN? They were just having fun and now she has to get married?! WHAT? The drama is just about to start ^.- and sch is starting in 2 days, fml. Take care guys! :-)