Sixteen

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nwfaHk6ZKc


Hoseok stopped dancing as his phone rang, and he answered it, panting.

"Hello?"

"Where are you? You haven't been around all day."

"Nice greeting, hyung."

"Shut up and tell me where you are. I can't find Yoongi either, Namjoon's in the studio, and Taehyung and Jimin are out doing whatever. I'm bored."

"What am I, fifth choice? I'm flattered."

"You can tone down the sarcasm a little bit. I'll be graduating in two months. You should be ecstatic to be spending time with your second mother."

"Okay, Jin hyung, I am totally and completely ecstatic. Do you want me to come over to your place or do you want to meet somewhere else?"

"Do you want to meet at the cafe near the library closest to the main square?"

"You want coffee, don't you?"

"I always do. See you soon, Hoseok." Jin ended the call.

Sighing, Hoseok started stretching, figuring that he had a little bit of time to start to the cafe and that he didn't want to wake up sore the next day.

 

 

Jin took a small sip of his coffee as they sat a table in the corner of the cafe that was somewhat isolated. "Now explain why Yoongi came to my apartment this morning crying and how the first person he called after he calmed down wasn't you, but Taehyung."

Hoseok was in the middle of taking a sip of tea, and in his surprise, drank too much and scalded his tongue. "What?!"

"You're lucky Namjoon wasn't there, or he would've called you and demanded to know what was going on right away." Raising his eyebrow, Jin smirked. "Spill."

Pouting, Hoseok stared down at his cup. "Why do you assume I have something to do with it?"

Jin just sat there with a judgemental look on his face.

"Fine. I'll tell you. You're so annoying."

"I know."

"Yoongi hyung's been acting really weird lately. And this morning I finally found out why. I found a pack of cigarettes in his stuff -"

"What?!"

"So, obviously I asked him about it. Then he blew up at me and told me that I was being stupid, because I wasn't admitting the fact that I have feelings for Taehyung -"

"I knew it oh my god."

"And that he's afraid of losing me because I've gotten so close to Taehyung, and -"

"But he's close to Tae too."

Hoseok slammed his hands on the table, gaining some looks from the other people in the cafe (Seungyoon was inside with his friend Seunghoon, who was also a friend of Jin's, and they were both openly snickering at them). "Stop interrupting me, hyung!"

"You almost spilled my coffee," was Jin's reply, causing Hoseok to have the urge to strangle him.

"So then I called Chansung hyung and asked if he knew anything about the situation, and he said no. Now I have to talk to Yoongi hyung about all of this and get him to forgive me."

"Hoseok." Jin placed his elbows on the table in front of him and laced his fingers together, giving Hoseok a serious look. "Let me get this straight. Yoongi thinks he's going to lose you because you're getting close to someone other than him. This someone is Taehyung, and you have romantic feelings toward him. This morning, you found a pack of cigarettes in Yoongi's apartment, and you two argued about it? And he blamed you for the entire situation?" Hoseok nodded, and Jin sighed in response and took a minute to think. "Listen carefully to what I'm about to say."

"Okay."

"You are not the only one at fault in this situation, do you understand me?"

"But -"

"Shut up and listen. Yes, you are drawing away from Yoongi slightly and being unfair to him by continuing whatever you have going."

"How did you -"

"I know everything, okay? Stop interrupting me now."

"Fine."

"You're in the wrong there, because you should've kept your promise a little more in mind when doing anything. However, Yoongi can't completely blame you for that because you actually didn't understand that your feelings for Taehyung were more than just friendship. And that was most likely because of your relationship with Yoongi, which is somewhere between friendship and brotherhood and a romance. Man, you guys are weird.

"Now. You called Chansung and he had no idea that Yoongi had cigarettes, right? That means that Yoongi made the decision to buy them and keep them all on his own. He can't blame you for that, because you weren't the one that encouraged him to or physically brought them to him.

"You're being childish in the fact that you can't figure out your emotions, but Yoongi is also being childish in the sense that he can't accept that your relationship isn't always going to be the same. And the most important thing I have to say . . . Are you okay, Hobi?"

Hoseok nervously rubbed his fingers together and took another sip of his tea before answering. "I will be, as soon as this whole thing is over. Or, I suppose it won't be over until something happens with Taehyung, whether he rejects or accepts me. But I'll be okay as soon as hyung isn't mad at me anymore. Right now I'm just trying not to feel anything."

"You were dancing before you came here, weren't you?"

"Yeah."

There were a few minutes of silence as the two of them focused on drinking their still extremely hot drinks.

"Hyung left with Tae? Just the two of them?"

"Yup."

"You think hyung told him anything?" Hoseok asked.

"Probably the whole afraid of losing you thing, but not about your feelings for Taehyung. And Taehyung will probably comfort him and say he would never want to come between you guys. And he'll also feel guilty for how Yoongi feels and blame himself. Then Yoongi will sense his guilt and tell him that it's not Taehyung's problem, but his own problem. Then Yoongi will realize that he needs to apologize to you, too, and will go to his apartment to wait for you because he knows you'll come."

Sometimes, Jin scared Hoseok a little. "You're right," Hoseok muttered. "I'll go back to my dorm and wait for Taehyung so that I know when hyung is back."

"You're welcome."

Hoseok laughed. "I love you, hyung."

"Love you too, you idiot."

 

 

When Hoseok opened the door to his room, Taehyung was already inside, sitting at his desk. Taehyung looked up when Hoseok walked in, gave him a small smile, and looked down again. Hoseok could tell that he didn't really want to talk, but oh well. They would have to.

And he would have to avoid thinking about how he wanted to hug Taehyung and never let him go.

Wow. How had he not realized his feelings earlier than this day?

"You weren't here when I came earlier." Lies, this was Hoseok's first time in their room today.

"I was out with Sungjae." Lies, he was with Yoongi. "Where were you?"

Hoseok decided to give Taehyung to opportunity to tell the truth. "With Yoongi hyung. At his apartment." If Taehyung didn't object now . . .

"What? No you weren't." Caught.

"How would you know?" Hoseok smirked slightly and crossed his arms.

Taehyung finally turned his face toward Hoseok again, and gave him an exasperated look. "You already know where I was, don't you?" Hoseok nodded in response. "How did you find out? Don't tell me Yoongi hyung told you right after I left."

"Jin hyung."

"That stupid blabbermouth hyung," Taehyung muttered, scowling.

"Hey, he helped out a lot by telling me, okay? He did what was best."

"Hmph."

Hoseok strode over to Taehyung's desk, and, ignoring the protests that Taehyung made, closed all of his books and pushed them off to the side. Then, he hopped onto the desk and sat facing Taehyung, looking down at his displeased face. "Let's talk."

"Get off of my desk."

"What did hyung tell you?"

"I don't want to talk about this right now."

"Tae," Hoseok whined. "I have to go talk to him later. Just tell me."

"Fine! He told me that he blew up at you this morning because he feels like he's going to lose you. Because of me."

". . . was that it?"

"Yes." Biting his lip, Taehyung stared straight at Hoseok's chest, refusing to make eye contact with the older boy.

Hoseok sighed and took a few minutes to think about what he would say next. Taehyung was obviously still feeling guilty about "taking Yoongi away from Hoseok", or however he was thinking about it, and Hoseok needed to make sure that he didn't keep on doing so. It would only drive a wedge in their relationship, and make him awkward around Yoongi as well. Reaching out to poke Taehyung's forehead with his index finger, Hoseok chuckled slightly. "You realize that you would never be able to make me and hyung less close, right? Stop thinking so highly of yourself."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Taehyung said in a deadpan voice.

Laughing again, Hoseok laid his hand on Taehyung's shoulder. "Tae, listen, okay?"

"Okay."

"Whatever's going on between me and hyung is not because of you. Yes, you've gotten really close to me and hyung, but that's not the direct reason why hyung is feeling the way he is. The fact that this has happened only outlines a deeper problem: that he thinks that he could lose me to anyone, lose our friendship once I get close to someone else."

"But I'm that person that you've gotten close to. I'm the one that's making you draw away from hyung." Taehyung frowned. "It's my fault."

Rolling his eyes, Hoseok responded, "Kim Taehyung, please explain why I'm not upset about losing Yoongi hyung to you. Even better, explain why I'm not afraid of losing you to Yoongi hyung."

"I don't know . . ."

"Because I have confidence that at this point in time, I won't lose either of you, no matter how many other close friendships that you make. I don't have a nervous breakdown every time you go out with Jimin, and I don't freak out when Yoongi hyung meets up with Chansung." Hoseok paused for a moment to gaze contemplatively at Taehyung, who had slowly raised his head to look at Hoseok directly. "The way Yoongi hyung is feeling right now and the argument we had is no one's fault. No one can be blamed for any one of us feeling the way that we do."

"If you say so."

"Taehyung," Hoseok said, leaning down so that his face was merely inches away from the younger's. "Trust me, okay?"

After a few seconds of Taehyung glancing between Hoseok's eyes, reading their sincerity, he finally nodded. "Okay. I trust you, hyung."

Hoseok casually squashed the butterflies rising in his stomach and drew back from Taehyung, smiling. "I'll head over to hyung's place later tonight. I should probably do my work now, since I've been putting it off all weekend."

"I was going to go head over to the library to study with Jimin and Hyuk. Do you want to come too?"

"Sure." Hoseok hopped off of the desk and ruffled Taehyung's hair. "I'll get my stuff."

 

 

"So you multiply t by 4 and make the exponent 3, and then 10 becomes 0 because it's constant. And that little tick indicates that it's a derivative. It works like that for all basic differentiation."

Hyuk scratched some letters and numbers on his paper, and set down his pencil in triumph as he solved the problem. "I get it now! Taehyung, how are you so smart?"

"I'm not that smart," Taehyung responded, smiling bashfully and looking down. "I just work hard."

"Well, I work hard and I don't get this stuff," Jimin sighed. "So yeah, you're pretty smart."

"Jiminnie, I don't think taking half hour breaks for every ten minutes of work counts as working hard," Hoseok piped up.

"Hyung, why are you so mean?" Jimin whined as Taehyung and Hyuk giggled.

Hoseok winked at Jimin playfully. "It's okay though. I don't get this stuff either, which is why I'm glad I got it out of the way last year."

"Wait, hyung, I thought you needed at least two math courses to graduate. You stopped at precalc?" Hyuk frowned in confusion.

"I'm taking statistics right now, and it's really easy, so I'm set." Hoseok laughed gently. "Finals are gonna be coming up really soon."

"Let's not talk about those," Jimin muttered.

Hyuk stood and started packing his books. "Okay, I'm gonna go now. Hongbin hyung wants to meet up in town because he met a girl."

Hoseok snorted. "Why do you need to be there?"

"Because the girl has a friend that is also coming."

"Oh that makes more sense." Hoseok raised an eyebrow. "Have fun."

Jimin snickered as he twirled his pencil, watching Hyuk sling his backpack over his shoulder. "Hyukkie, don't get too drunk. You get really annoying."

"And don't let Hongbin hyung talk too much because then both girls will fall for him instead of you," Taehyung added with a devilish smirk.

"That'll happen anyway, Tae Tae."

"Shut up, Jimin. And you too, Taehyung. All right, see you guys later. Bye, Hoseok hyung." Hyuk gave a playful salute and strode out of the library, pulling out his phone on the way, most likely to call Hongbin.

"Yeah he's not getting anything tonight," Hoseok mumbled, causing Taehyung and Jimin to start laughing so loudly that the librarian had to come over and tell them to quiet down or leave.

Since they were pretty much done working, the three of them decided that they might as well leave. On the way back, Hoseok absentmindedly reached out for Taehyung's hand, and Taehyung naturally laced their fingers together. Their arms swung gently between their bodies, and their shoulders brushed ocassionally. Hoseok and Taehyung's dorm was on the way to Jimin's, so Jimin would have to continue on without them, but before they walked inside, Jimin asked if he could talk to Hoseok alone for a few moments. Taehyung shrugged and went inside by himself, hugging Jimin goodbye.

When he disappeared from sight, Hoseok turned to Jimin, mildly surprised and worried. "Jimin, are you okay?"

Jimin chuckled. "I'm fine. I just wanted to ask you something."

"Yeah?"

"Are you and Tae together yet?"

Hoseok choked. "What?!"

"It's obvious that you like each other. So I was wondering if the hand holding meant that you were finally official. Am I wrong?" Jimin titled his head curiously.

"Jimin." Suddenly exhausted, Hoseok pressed his palm against his forehead. "No. No, we are not. God."

"But you like each other."

"I like him, I'm not sure if he likes me, and I'm really not ready to think about this right now."

"He likes you. It's pretty obvious, hyung."

"Jimin, shut up, please!" Hoseok snapped, frustrated. He knew that Jimin meant well, but today was not the day for this converation, especially since he'd have to start over to Yoongi's apartment right after he dropped his things off in his room. "Jiminnie, I know you're just curious, but things have happened recently, and I need to fix them before I can start thinking about the concept of me and Taehyung being together, okay?"

Pouting slightly, Jimin crossed his arms. "Just tell me when it happens, okay? Because it's been obvious ever since the start of the year but it's gotten even worse lately and I don't know if the rest of us will be able to take you two circling around each other and never getting anywhere much longer."

"Yes, okay." Hoseok rubbed his forehead again. "I will make sure to tell you as soon as something happens, and Taehyung would anyways. Bye, Jimin."

"Bye hyung!"

As Jimin walked off, Hoseok groaned and buried his face in his palms. He simply didn't understand how everything had decided to pile on him today, when he had seen none of it coming. Although, he'd always had pretty bad luck, so he surmised that it wasn't all too astonishing.

And now, he had to go fix a friendship.

 

 

Hoseok wasn't suprised when the door to Yoongi's apartment was already unlocked. He knew that Yoongi would be waiting for him, and that assumption was proven correct when he found Yoongi lying on his couch with his arms crossed behind his head, staring at Hoseok as soon as he walked inside. Yoongi sat up slowly, shifting over to leave space for Hoseok to sit himself down tentatively, crossing his legs so that he could face Yoongi while they talked.

It was funny how the distance between them felt so large when only a few feet apart.

From his expression, it was evident that Yoongi wasn't planning on speaking up first, which meant that Hoseok would have to start the conversation. He swallowed nervously before getting his thoughts in order and opening his mouth. "You're right."

"About?" Yoongi's voice was hoarse.

"I like him."

"He likes you."

"Jimin said the same thing."

"Because it's true, even if he hasn't said it loud. You need to show him that you don't care for him just as a little brother that you want to guide, because he's afraid that that's exactly how you feel about him."

Too much. Too much to think about and he was going to be overwhelmed. Too much to think about Taehyung right now. It only been a day.

One.

Single.

Day.

He had to move on from this topic. "Yoongi hyung . . . why the cigarettes?"

Yoongi scowled and looked down at his hands. "I didn't open the pack."

"Then why . . . why buy it in the first place?"

"I didn't want to lose you," Yoongi murmured, so quietly that Hoseok had to strain to listen to him. He wouldn't move his gaze from his hands.

"But what does buying cigarettes have to do with that, hyung?"

Sighing, Yoongi his lips and swallowed before answering the question. "You promised me that you would never leave me. I promised you that I would stop smoking forever. If I could keep myself from smoking with a pack right next to me, then maybe that meant that you would never leave me. I don't know . . . I know it's messed up, I just . . . Hobi." Yoongi took a shuddering. "I can't lose you, Hobi. I know that I mean as much to you as you mean to me, but sometimes I get scared. The fear. The fear, it just . . . takes over. I start imagining what I would be like without you by my side, and I can't do it. And I don't care if it's unhealthy, if I'm too dependent on you, but I am and I can't change it right now because I'm still not over everything."

Hoseok shifted over and drew Yoongi into his arms, and Yoongi squeezed his eyes shut and leaned his head on Hoseok's chest.

"What if you leave me and I run back to Chansung? I know that he's changed, but what if I go back and everything ends up being the same as before? Hobi . . . I don't know if I can stop myself. I don't think . . . I can't . . . I'm not strong enough."

Gently, Hoseok brushed his thumb over Yoongi's cheeks and wiped the tears away. "Min Yoongi is the strongest person I know."

"I didn't realize you knew another Min Yoongi."

Hoseok chuckled softly. "He's great. I think you two would get along. He puts up this strong facade but he's actually a huge sweetheart that secretly loves Kumamon. And he's always there for people when they need them. And I haven't even started talking about how amazing he is at producing and rapping. Man, I wish I had his talent. He's gone through a lot of things, but he's gotten through everything and I'm amazed by it."

Yoongi glanced up at Hoseok's somewhat smug face and scoffed. "I guess he doesn't sound that bad."

"Oh, trust me, he's wonderful. What did you talk about with Taehyung?"

"I just told him the same thing I told you. Minus the part about you liking him. Did you talk to him?"

"Yeah. He was feeling guilty."

"Not anymore, I hope?"

"I sorted it out. You knew I would."

"I did know."

Hoseok held Yoongi more tightly and buried his face into Yoongi's blonde hair. "You changed your shampoo," he murmered. "I don't like it."

"No?" Yoongi asked, raising his eyebrows, then smiled slightly when he felt Hoseok shake his head. "Okay, then I'll change it back after I finish this bottle."

A few minutes passed and they stayed in the same position, Yoongi content in Hoseok's embrace and Hoseok humming a song softly. Eventually, Hoseok stopped, and they swayed back and forth slightly in peaceful silence.

"Hyung, I love you."

"I know." Yoongi slipped out of Hoseok's hold and turned around. He grapsed Hoseok's hands in his and held eye contact with the younger boy. "I love you too."

And Hoseok smiled a real smile. "I know. Thank you, hyung."

Yoongi placed his palm on Hoseok's chest and pushed him until he was lying on his back on the sofa. He crawled forward until his face was right above Hoseok's. "This is the last time, okay? And then we have to face real life," he whispered.

"Of course. I love you."

"I love you too." Yoongi finally leaned down and closed the distance between them, capturing Hoseok's lips with his.

 

 

The next morning, Hoseok and Yoongi laid in Yoongi's bed facing each other. They hadn't slept.

Yoongi reached out and traced Hoseok's lips with his thumb. "Your family would be so proud of you."

Hoseok smiled wistfully. "You've never met them."

"I've heard enough, haven't I? You followed your dreams, and you've already reached great heights at a young age. I can't even imagine where you'll be in a few years. They would be so, so proud."

"I'm staying here over the summer to help out Donghae hyung and Hyukjae hyung with that dance program for young kids."

"I think all of us are staying for some reason. Jin hyung is getting trained to become an assistant professor for next year, and also prepping for grad school. Plus he lives here. Namjoon's taking some philosophy class. What a nerd. Jimin and Taehyung are doing some vocal composition program thing. I'm staying here since I live here, and to stay close to the studio. I'm going home for a couple weeks and then coming back."

"Where are Jimin and Tae going to stay?"

Yoongi bit his lip. "I heard that they're setting a dorm aside for everyone staying here. And then they'll change everything again once the summer is over."

Hoseok snickered. "I hope those two will be able to stand each other as roommates."

"If it doesn't work out, then you and Jimin can just switch places. He can live with me and you can room with Taehyung."

"Or we could let them suffer. I was told that Jimin is very annoying while he's sleeping."

Grinning, Yoongi replied, "Oh, yeah. When we were little we used to share the bed in my house during sleepovers, and I swear not a single night went by where he didn't almost push me off the bed."

Suddenly, both of them flinched when Yoongi's phone rang loudly. Groaning, Hoseok grabbed Yoongi's phone from his nightstand and handed it to him. Yoongi accepted the call without checking the caller ID, and Namjoon's loud voice blasted through the phone, making Hoseok whine and bury his head under his pillow.

"Hyung! You were supposed to be here an hour ago!"

"Namjoon! Calm down! I'm coming in twenty minutes!"

"That's too long!"

"Fine! Thirty minutes!" Yoongi hung up before Namjoon could reply, and rolled his eyes. "He wants me to rap on his latest assignment for a class because he thinks my voice suits it better. I don't think it makes a difference, but whatever."

"He showed me. Your voice actually does suit it better."

"Ugh." Yoongi pushed the blanket off of himself and rolled off the bed, standing and stretching his arms above his head lazily. "Thank goodness it's Saturday."

Hoseok watched, still lying down, as Yoongi changed his clothes, until he noticed something strange. "Hey, that's my shirt!"

"Mine now. You have some of mine anyways." Yoongi threw another shirt of Hoseok's at the pouting boy, and gestured for him to put it on. Hoseok sat up and pulled it on, then hopped out of the bed. "You're leaving too, right?"

Nodding, Hoseok walked to Yoongi's bathroom, followed by the older boy, and they brushed their teeth side by side. When Hoseok looked in the mirror, he almost choked as he saw how much of a mess his hair was. Meanwhile, Yoongi's was perfectly arranged on his head already, without a single strand out of place. Hoseok internally cursed his genes.

After a quick breakfast of cereal and milk, the two of them shrugged on their jackets and put their shoes on.

They hesitated in the front of the door.

They shared one last, sweet kiss before stepping into the hallway, out of the apartment building, and going on their separate ways.

 

 

When the six friends met up for dinner that night, Hoseok and Yoongi shared a look and smiled.

Hoseok held Taehyung's hand all night.


UPDATEDDDDDD. WHOOOOOOOOOO. I DID IT.

I've been so busy lately. TT_TT

And I'm probably going to be just as busy until the end of January. Hopefully, then I'll be able to take a little break because I seriously need one.

Tell me what you think of the chapter!!

 

AND TELL ME IF YOU CATCH ANYTHING ABOUT HOSEOK'S PAST. ;)

 

Much love to all 196 of my subscribers~ <3 And especially all of you that comment, I really appreciate it!

 

Until the next time~

<3 ^~^