Happiness

First Romance

 

 “Jiyong? Why is your body trembling?” Taeyang suddenly asked making Jiyong snap out of his reverie and turn to the newly-woken up guy beside him.

“You’re dreaming. Go on and sleep more,” Jiyong just said.

“But-“he got cut off when Jiyong threw him a glare making him shut his mouth. “Fine. I’ll sleep more,” he said and went to sleep again. After a few seconds, he started to snore again.

Jiyong stared at him. “He was dreaming, alright,” he said leaning his head back and closed his eyes, deciding to sleep too since it’s still a long travel before they reach the city.

 

The weeks passed like a blur. It was already summer when a phone call from Seunghyun caused Dara to hurriedly leave home to meet him at Central Park. She doesn’t know why but it alarmed her when he called. Maybe it was from the way his voice sounded through the phone. It was as if he was deeply troubled with whatever he has in his mind. With this, Dara felt obliged to be there for her best friend.

Dara panted when she arrived and saw Seunghyun facing the park’s fountain. It was already nighttime so there weren’t too many people, only a few couples dating. “Seunghyun?” she said.

He turned to face her and it was very clear from his face that he’s been keeping something to himself. She knows that because he’s that kind of person. He doesn’t like to open up that much. But accordingly, he feels comfortable opening up with her.

The dark circles under his eye were evidence enough that he kept on thinking about it since last night. She wondered why she hasn’t told her yet this morning. Maybe he didn’t know what to say to her. Thinking that, does it have to do with her? She became nervous now.

“What’s wrong?” she said, holding his hand.

“Let’s sit first,” Seunghyun offered.

And they did.

He breathed first before proceeding. “I have something to tell you.”

She waited.

He continued. “Remember the conversation we had at the tree when we met again after eight years?”

Dara thought back. She remembered some of them. The others, she thought, like the one that has to do with Chaerin were unnecessary. Although she and Chaerin are good friends now, she still doesn’t like the fact that Chaerin and Seunghyun are close and that they live under the same roof.

“What about it?” she asked, her heart seeming not to stop beating very fast under her chest.

“Me and Chaerin…” he trailed off.

Her eyes became wide immediately. She doesn’t like this. This really has to do with Chaerin too. She doesn’t want to hear it but half of her wanted to listen more, in case that what she thought inside isn’t really the case.

“…are getting engaged,” he continued.

She willed herself not to get too shocked but she can’t help it. She felt her whole body tremble and she stood up. She can’t look at him straight in the eyes. She was looking down but she stayed standing on her spot, not able to move her feet even though she wanted to escape the place, even though she can’t really escape the truth. She felt her eyes sting because of the tears that were starting to form. She doesn’t like it. She doesn’t like the idea of her best friend being with another girl. Maybe she was being possessive but it can’t be helped. He already told her his feelings, now, suddenly, he would be with another girl?

“Dara,” he stood up and reached to touch her arm but she wheeled away from his touch. “I tried to talk my mom out of it, Dara. We even had a fight. I tried my best.”

He tried to reach out again. “I tried,” he whispered.

His hand was midway to touching her face so she would look him in the eye when she slapped his hand away. She looked up to him with the trace of pain in her eyes.

“Dara,” he whispered and tried for the third time to reach out to her when she just immediately ran away leaving a speechless Seunghyun who can’t do anything more but stare at the small running figure away from him.

 

“Dara-ah!” Auntie Hyesun called through the closed doors.

She has been locking herself up since she arrived and stormed towards her room and ignored the concern calls of Jaejoong and Auntie Hyesun.

“Dara-ah! Darling!” her aunt kept on calling.

“Go away!” she shouted. She knows it’s disrespectful to do that but she really wanted to be alone at a time like this. She knows they would understand.

“Come on, let her be alone,” she heard Jaejoong say.

 

The next morning…

“Good morning, Dara,” Chaerin greeted but she went straight to her desk, ignoring her. “Dara, good morning, I said,” Chaerin said again, approaching her desk.

Dara ignored her again. Instead, she picked up her book and read.

“Dara?” Chaerin’s voice turned soft. “Judging from how you treat me today, I think he has already told you.”

But she kept on reading, turning the page even though she hasn’t read a word from the previous page.

“Dara! We need to talk,” Chaerin said, tagging Dara along with her outside the classroom.

Dara struggled but Chaerin’s grip was too tight.

“What?!” Dara asked.

“You’ve got the wrong idea, Dara. It’s a fixed marriage,” Chaerin said.

But, Dara just turned towards the door.

“We’re not yet done talking, Dara,” Chaerin said impatiently. “Listen to me, okay?”

Dara stopped escaping, and listened to her.

“Seunghyun arrived home last night drunk. That’s why he’s absent today. Don’t tell me you’re not concerned because I can see it in your eyes,” she said. “Okay, so here’s the thing. Seunghyun and I don’t love each other, that’s why we’re planning to get away from this fixed marriage thing. I’m helping the two of you, okay? So stop giving me those glares,” Chaerin warned.

Dara softened her stare at Chaerin.

“Okay, another thing is, if I’m helping you, you have to give me something in return too,” she said, waiting for more reactions from Dara but she remained still. “So, I want you to help me with Jingyo.”

The crease on her forehead came back but Chaerin haven’t noticed because she was busy telling her how much she fell for him. But Dara hasn’t heard any of her words until Chaerin shook her.

“Okay? Dara? Will you do it for me? Will you help me with Jingyo?” Chaerin said enthusiastically, still shaking Dara.

“Okay! Okay! Just stop shaking me!” Dara complained.

 

Dara passed a note to the person behind her.

Jiyong hesitantly accepted the paper and read it.

 

                Could you ask Chaerin out today? She would love it. She wanted to watch this movie, so please ask her out. – Dara :)

 

Jiyong glared at the back of Dara’s head. He wondered what she’s up to. He crumpled the paper and threw it away.

 

“What was that?” Jiyong asked Dara the moment the bell rang signaling lunch break.

“What?” Dara asked innocently.

“The note…” he said.

“It was self-explanatory, Jiyong,” she said. “Ask her out on a date today. Just that.”

“You’re doing it because?”

“What are you talking about?” Dara asked again.
“You, being the bridge between her and me. You’re doing that because?”

“Does it need a reason?” she asked and turned towards Bom who was waiting for her.

“Of course,” he whispered to himself.

 

“Thank you,” Chaerin said.

“You’re welcome,” Jiyong said about to turn so he would go home now when a hand stopped him.

“I really like you, Jingyo,” Chaerin whispered.

He let go of the strong grip from his wrist. “I’m sorry but I like someone else.”

Jiyong was walking away now. Few steps from their house, Chaerin ran towards him and hugged him from behind. She hugged him so tight as if not wanting to let go. Jiyong, on the other hand, wanted to go now. He put his hand on top of hers to remove them when she spoke.

“I won’t give up on you, Jingyo,” she said and let him go.

He went towards his car and drove home. While on his way home, he was thinking about Dara, why she acted as if she’s the bridge between Chaerin and him. He doesn’t like the idea at all. However, what stuck to his mind the most was how her expression seemed so blank as if she’s empty inside when he talked to her this lunch. Has it something to do with Seunghyun being absent at school a while ago? He wanted to comfort her. Suddenly, he stepped on the brakes and saw himself staring up at Dara’s window. But he didn’t dare step out of his car.

 

“So, you were here all along,” it was Seunghyun.

Jiyong’s back was facing him and Taeyang. The gush of the wind is blowing against his face making his hair be blown away with it. He turned to meet Seunghyun’s gaze.

“What do you want with me?” Jiyong asked.

“Yeah, tell us now, man,” Taeyang said. “I asked him a while ago but he refused to tell me until we found you.”

“So? What now, Choi Seunghyun?” Jiyong said.

“Have you seen Dara?” Seunghyun asked.

“Wasn’t she at the classroom? Why are you looking for her?” Taeyang asked.

“She isn’t herself lately,” Seunghyun added.

“And whose fault was it?” Jiyong challenged taking a step forward.

“What’s going on?” Taeyang asked.

 “Do you think she’s happy because she heard you being engaged with Chaerin?” Jiyong continued, eyes still glaring at Seunghyun.

“You’re getting engaged?!” Taeyang asked, shocked. “Oh, yes! Now there’s no way she’ll end up with you!” he said throwing his fist in the air.

“This is not about me and Chaerin, Jiyong!” Seunghyun shouted, unable to control his temper.

Taeyang stopped celebrating. He stared at Seunghyun, suddenly scared. Jiyong raised his eyebrow.

“This is about her happiness,” Seunghyun continued in a lower voice. The two seemed lost so he continued. “I’m not saying that what I told her about me and Chaerin getting engaged isn’t one of the reasons why she’s down lately…”

“So, what are you implying?!” Jiyong raised his voice.

“Could you let me finish?!” Seunghyun shouted but lowered his voice again. “She misses her family, and I want to make her happy once more.”

“Make her happy yourself besides, you’re her BEST FRIEND!” Jiyong said turning his back.

“But how can I be sure that I am the only who gives her happiness?” Seunghyun asked. “It might be you… or Taeyang.”

Jiyong turned to face him again as if transmitting messages to each other through their minds.

 

Dara groaned out aloud. She waited her classmates to leave the classroom so she could stay behind and be alone. She hasn’t talked to Seunghyun yet. She hasn’t asked Jiyong about his date with Chaerin yesterday. Surprisingly, Chaerin and Jiyong were awkward around each other a while ago. Chaerin used to be so clingy. But now, she seemed distant. Also, she hasn’t seen Taeyang the whole day.

Right now, she was alone at the classroom. She heard a couple of laughter and looked down from the window. She saw Chaerin with Bom, guffawing with each other’s jokes. She can’t help but to feel jealous seeing her best friend being with someone. She missed Bom so much. She wanted to spend some time with her but she always feels left alone especially that she always sees Bom with Chaerin.

She decided to go home when someone blocked her way out.

“Taeyang!” she gasped.

“Come with me,” he said pulling her wrist.

“Where are we going?” she asked, while they were running. Obviously, Taeyang looked excited.

They arrived at the parking area. Taeyang gave her a helmet.

“I’m riding on that?” Dara gasped.

“Why not?” Taeyang asked, starting the engine. “Hop on!”

Dara hesitated but followed.

“Hold on tight,” Taeyang warned.

And so, she awkwardly wrapped her little arms around Taeyang’s waist and off they went.

Taeyang brought him to a place overlooking a bay. The bay was famous for the beautiful scenery it shows when the sun sets on a beautiful day. Taeyang wanted to show her this place and spend time with her too. He wanted her to be happy especially now that she misses her family.

“Isn’t it amazing?” Taeyang asked as they got off the motorbike.

Dara was speechless. Her eyes were wide open as she took in the greatness of the sunset – its rays of light and the reflection on the sea. It was too much to take. It was really beautiful. Suddenly, a wide smile was already pasted on her face.