Her Absence

First Romance

 

 

“Cheers!”

“Congratulations, Dara,” Jiyong greeted after they took a sip from the drink they had.

“Yeah, you really sing great,” Seunghyun seconded.

“Next time you’ll know, you will be offered a contract with an entertainment company,” Taeyang agreed.

“If you’ll be famous, don’t forget about me,” Bom said.

Dara just laughed. Seeing her friends complete and celebrating with her made her glad.

 

It was just another ordinary night after work until someone approached Dara when she got off the stage.

“Hello, I’m Mister Yang Hyun Suk,” the stranger said, grabbing her hand and shaking it. “Do you want to train under my company?”

Dara was taken aback. This was too sudden. She hasn’t thought of being a trainee of a company. Besides, she doesn’t know this person. She was thinking whether to trust him or what. But as if he heard her thought, he took out a business card with a logo which says “YG Entertainment.” She thought she heard this before. But she can’t place on where she heard it.

Dara went home after she worked and held the business card firmly on her hands. Mister Yang told her to call him when she’s interested to audition. When she arrived, she immediately lied down on her bed still clutching on the business card. Tired of thinking, she put the card down on the bedside table.

 

“Have you heard of YG Entertainment?” Dara asked Seunghyun the next morning while they were walking to school.

“Of course,” Seunghyun answered. “I’m signed under them.”

“You are?!” Dara’s eyes widened.

Seunghyun nodded his head. “Why were you asking by the way?”

“Nothing, I just heard it…” she trailed off. “…somewhere.”

At lunch, Dara was alone at the rooftop. She was clutching the business card on her right hand and her phone on the other. She was standing still for half an hour already. She exhaled and dialed the number on her phone.

“Hello? This is Dara…. Yes… I was the one Mister Yang referred… I want to audition… Yes… At 3 PM? Um… Okay… Gomawo…”

 

When the final bell rang Dara rushed outside, not hearing Jiyong’s call. She rode a bus towards the company.

When she arrived, the judges, a woman who looked strict, a man with glasses and who also looked strict, and Mister Yang, who surprisingly doesn’t look really strict but instead with a smile spread on his face.

“Annyeong haseyo,” Dara bowed in front of the judges. She was still panting from running so she prayed that she will not be off-key on the song she chose to sing.

After introducing herself, she held the microphone in front of her and began to sing.

 

Dara went home with a hint of disappointment on her face. She wasn’t contented with what she has shown to the judges. Though the judges let her finish the song and even made her act in front of them, they seemed to just dismiss her and she thought that it was a sign that they didn’t accept her for the company. She lied down on her bed and just stared at the ceiling.

A couple of days later, she heard from Seunghyun that he’s going to debut as an official Korean artist at a music show. Though Dara wanted to see him perform live, she can’t. He’s going to perform on a school day.

Dara stared at the empty desk to her right. She thought of how Seunghyun is doing right now. She wanted badly to see him perform. But she promised Seunghyun that she will watch the replay tonight.

The next weekend, Dara woke up with the persistent ringing of her phone. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the number. And as she saw the name, she got up and immediately answered the phone as if she hasn’t just woken up.

“Hello? Yes, this is Dara… really?! Okay, okay, I’m on my way…”

Dara jumped out of her bed and immediately prepared to leave the house. While on the bus, she dialed Donghae’s number.

“Hello? I’m sorry I won’t be able to attend the practice. But I’ll try to. I have an appointment. And it’s an important one. Okay, thank you.”

 

Dara was in front of Mister Yang and she was trying to hide the happiness she felt inside. She wanted to hug him but she knows that he’s still the president. Just a while ago, Mister Yang told her that the judges liked her. Her voice, though very soft, was very attractive and soothing to hear. They wanted her to improve her singing though. As for her acting, they saw potential on her and asked her to go to workshops to improve her acting too.

Today, she met the other trainees of the company and they were given the opportunity to watch one of their artists to perform in front of them. She was all giddy inside that she can’t stop herself to smile all-ears. She stared at her right and saw that the other trainees were just like her.

A couple of minutes later, the door of the practice room opened and Mister Yang entered.

“Today, my newest artist will be practicing his debut song in front of you and hopefully you can get inspiration from him,” Mister Yang plainly said and sat at a chair.

A man entered. Dara was wide-eyed when she saw who that was. He smiled at her leaving her speechless.

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m T.O.P.” he said bowing in front of them.

Oh yeah! He already mentioned to me that he’s signed under this company. How can I be stupid and forget? Dara thought to herself.

The music started and T.O.P. performed in front of them. For the whole performance, Dara kept on staring at his y moves, his fierce eyes, and his lips moving with the song. She was impressed of his best friend. At first, she was embarrassed to be caught being in the same building with him because perhaps he has already found out that she auditioned, but now, she’s happy and proud of him. She’s proud that someday, they will become co-workers. Now, she’s motivated to work harder.

After the performance, everybody gave him a warm round of applause. However, he didn’t approach her. But it didn’t hurt her. She understands that he’s an artist and she’s still a trainee.

It was almost sunset when Dara went to practice at the club with the band. It took her long to have vocal trainings and acting workshop.

“Annyeong,” Dara greeted.

“Where were you all day?” Donghae asked.

“I… um… it’s a secret. I can’t really say it,” Dara said.

“Okay, we have two hours until the club opens. For the meantime, let’s practice this song,” Donghae said, handing her a copy of the lyrics she will be learning to sing with Donghae.

 

When Dara went home from work, her phone rang…

“Hello?”

“Ssantokki, it’s great to see you a while ago at the practice room,” Seunghyun said.

Dara smiled. “I thought you won’t mention it,” Dara said, laughing.

“So, I assume, you’re already a trainee right?”

“Well….” Dara trailed off.

“Oh, come on.”

“Okay, fine,” Dara said, chuckling. “I will work hard so I will be able to work with you.”

“I’m excited for that day to come.”

 

“Dara!” Bom shouted from across the room.

“Good morning, Bom and Chaerin,” Dara greeted.

“How dare you not tell me?!” Bom asked.

“What?!” Dara asked, innocently.

“Now, I understand why sometimes you’re absent, why sometimes you’re not on the club performing with the band, or why you’re always not available on weekends.”

Dara was surprised.

“You’re signed under YG Entertainment, aren’t you?”

Dara immediately covered Bom’s mouth and whispered to her. “It’s supposed to be a secret, Bom. But, I’m not yet signed under them. I’m still a trainee. And, how the hell did you know about that?”

With Bom’s mouth still covered, she signaled towards Chaerin who was just sitting silently on her desk, amused by Bom and Dara’s actions. Dara glared at her but she was just sitting there showing her cute eye-smile.