Flashback: Goodbye

First Romance

 

I had to stay in my room for about an hour before the color of my face came back to normal. I stared outside my window and saw Seung hyun alone on the see-saw on the playground. I immediately went to the playground. I hesitated when I arrived. I was about to step back quietly and go back to my room when he felt my presence.

“Sandara,” he called.

I turned to him and bowed low. “I’m sorry…”

But he never let me finish. “No, I should be sorry. I know it’s too early. I’m ready to wait for you.”

I straightened up.

“I hope we can still be friends,” he said, extending his hand to shake mine.

Instead I hugged him tight to me. “More like best friends.”

Then it rained. Instead of running for cover, we stayed and played under the rain. It was the first time I did that. I enjoyed it, especially that I was with Seung hyun.

After that, I brought him to our house to show him my room.

“Wow, you got lots of books,” he said.

“Yes, I do. I’m quite a bookworm, you know,” I said.

“Wow,” he said in amazement.

“I want to show you something,” I said and grabbed my pink guitar lying on my bed. I started to play the tune of my most favorite song. He sat beside me and observed my fingers gracefully strumming the strings and i started singing with the tune.

 

Now if I gave you me, this is how it's got to be

First of all I won't take you cheatin' on me

Tell me who can I trust if I can't trust in you And I refuse to let you play me for a fool

You said that we could possibly spend eternity

See that's what you told me that's what you said

But if you want me

You have to be fulfilling all my dreams

If you really want me babe

 

If you had my love

And I gave you all my trust

Would you comfort me

And if somehow you knew that your love would be untrue

Would you lie to me

And call me baby

 

“That’s a…” he started when I finished singing. “You’re voice is a…”

I laughed. “Why are you stammering?”

“You’re amazing. Your voice is very attractive,” he said.

“Actually, I want to be a singer. The song I just sang is the song that inspired me to be a singer. It was sung by Jennifer Lopez.”

“And I want to be a composer.”

“Then, when we grow up, you’ll be composing my song. We should fulfill our dreams together, then. Promise me that.”

I nodded and we made the pinky promise once again.

“I’m going home. Tomorrow, come to my place. Let’s start composing,” he said.

Next day...

I was amazed to see a piano on their house. It was grand and he motioned me to sit beside him.

“Listen to this,” he said and started playing the notes. It was amazing. It was very soft and it calms my heart.

We were always like that. It was either he’s at our house, or I’m on theirs. We write songs if we have time, I would do a cover at times. Most of them are Jennifer Lopez songs. That’s how I love her. She’s my inspiration.

One day, I was shocked when I heard him rap. His voice suited his rapping. He got swag on rapping. It has a very low tone charm to it. His pronunciation sounds very fluid but is actually quite articulate and well annunciated. It was very unique and awesome. He has this deep voice that when he’s rapping, you can do nothing but just stare at him. He was amused by my expression that day that he teases me with his raps and all I can do is just cover my ears to avoid embarrassment.

There was also one incident I can never forget…

It was the start of winter and we were all wrapped up with our winter clothes with scarfs almost covering our face.

One day, mom bought a new camera and told me and Seung hyun to take a picture. We posed in front of the camera and under the heavy snow that’s falling all over us. We were at the playground, with the see-saw behind us.

“This will be quick,” my mom assured her.

“This is great,” I whispered to Seung hyun. “This would be our very first picture together.”

“Okay, ready?” my mom asked and started counting down.

I was surprised to feel his arm around my shoulder.

“…2… SMILE!” my mom said.

After that, he removed his arm around my shoulder.

“Let’s play under the snow,” I offered. But I noticed something. “Omo, your glasses.”

“Ah, yes,” he said, looking away, trying to hide his broken glass.

“What happened?” I asked.

“It fell, and I accidentally stepped on it,” he said, turning away.

I cupped his face to make him face me. “That’s no reason to just put them together with an ordinary tape. You should buy a new one. See? We just had a picture with you and your broken glasses.”

“It’s alright, okay?” he said, grabbing my hands. “Why are you not wearing gloves?”

“I forgot,” I said plainly.

He removed his gloves from his hands and gave it to me.

“Wear mine, I’m not cold,” he said.

That day, it crossed my mind if I could buy a pair of new glasses as a gift for him. So, the next day, I asked mom to accompany me to buy a pair of glasses.

When I came back, I saw him waiting by our living room.

“Omo, what are you doing here?” I asked, quickly hiding the gift behind my back.

“Come with me, let’s compose another song,” he plainly said, and pulled my wrist right away. I was able to leave the gift by the doorway though.

During our “composing session”, I noticed that he’s a bit troubled. He had blank stares whenever he’s playing the piano. Sometimes, he forgets I’m beside him. I have to shake him for him to wake up.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“None,” he said. But it wasn’t “none”. There’s really something troubling him. It’s clear on his face. He needs to release the troubles soon.

“I’m going home, then,” I said.

He never asked why though.

The next morning, he was waiting for me at the playground.

“What’s up? Are you alright now?” I asked. ‘‘Shouldn’t we get in? It’s very cold here.” I started pulling his wrist.

“We’re moving out,” he said.

I turned to face him. “What?!”

“Mom and I are moving out.”

“Why?” I released my grip on his wrist.

“My mom was summoned. She found work abroad. She can’t just leave me here.”

“What about me, then? You can just leave me here?”

“You know it’s hard for me, Dara,” he said, tears starting to form in his eyes.

“How about our promises? I thought you’ll never leave me. So, it’s just like that. One day, you’ll promise me this, you’ll promise me that and then you’re just going to leave me?!” my voice started to crack. I was shouting at him.

“Dara…” he started to reach out to me but I turned to ran away.

I stayed the whole day in my room. No lunch. No dinner. My dad was worried so he talked with me.

“What happened?” he asked.

I got up from the bed and hugged him tightly and told him what happened this morning, how it hurt me a lot, how I feel suddenly betrayed. Dad stayed the whole night beside me until I fell asleep on his arms.

Weeks had passed. Winter break is over. We had to go to school again. I rode the bus alone. When Seung hyun and I met on the school hallway, I avoided him. It went on until the news arrived to me that they have to leave next week.

I was even more frustrated. I made up my mind. I don’t want our friendship to end just like that. I grabbed the gift I was supposed to give him that day when he told me about the sad news. But I hesitated when I was about to knock on their door. Instead I went to the park and waited by the swing. I expected him to go to the park too. I have been waiting long that the sky started to fall snow, and I only had a coat and scarf. But I didn’t dare leave the place. Maybe he would arrive when I’m not there. The sky turned dark but the snow didn’t stop falling. My teeth started to clatter. And I started to get dizzy. So I went home instead.

The next day, I had a fever. I had to be absent at school for the next few days. I didn’t like it. I didn’t want to miss school because of fever. I even forgot that Seung hyun would be leaving tomorrow until mom and dad approached me when I was almost going to sleep.

“Dara? Are you still awake?” my mom asked.

I got up. I was feeling much better now.

“We have something to tell you,” she said.

“And ask you,” my dad added.

“Seung hyun and his mom will be leaving tomorrow morning. Around 11.”

I gasped.

“Aren’t you going to see him off?” my dad asked.

I started to cry. I just lied down and faced the wall to my right.

“We should go,” my mom whispered.

I wasn’t able to sleep that night. I just stared at the ceiling. The last time I checked, it was almost 2 o’clock.

When I woke up, it was 9 am. They would have left already. So I got up fast and grabbed a coat and a scarf. I almost forgot the gift I was supposed to give him. I ran outside and rode a bus. It was winter still, but I was sweating because I was running.

When I reached the airport it was 9:30 AM. It was my first time there so I was lost. I wandered here and there, not sure exactly where I was. I checked my watch, it’s almost 10. I started to lose hope.

Then I heard it, “Final call for boarding to the departing passengers of Air France flight F3845 bound to Paris, France,” the announcer said and repeated it thrice.

After that, I heard him: “Dara!” he called.

I turned and saw him. I ran towards him and hugged him tight in my arms.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for all I’ve done,” I said, while crying.

He my hair. “It’s alright, Dara. I’m sorry too.” He cupped my tear-stricken face on his hands. “Stop crying now. Smile.”

I did, and it took a lot of effort to do it.

“I’ll be coming back for you, okay? Remember that,” he said.

“Accept this,” I said, giving him the glasses. He was still using those broken glasses. “And, can I have that broken glasses of yours?”

He hesitated but gave it to me. “I have something for you too.”

He grabbed something from his pocket and it was a necklace. He helped me wear it around my neck. The pendant was amazing. It was heart-shaped with S&D on it.

“I have one too,” he said, showing the necklace he hid under his shirt.

“This is for you too,” he said, giving me a gift bag. I didn’t know what’s in it and I can’t wait to see them. But instead of checking inside, I just hugged him one last time.

“I’ll be back for you, Dara,” he said.

“Seung hyun! We’re leaving!” his mom called.

He pulled back and planted a soft kiss on my forehead.

At home… I cried myself to sleep and I woke up past lunch. I saw the gift bag beside my bed and opened it. It contained music sheets where we wrote our compositions. Most of them are unfinished yet. Also, there’s a pink scarf. There is also a cute pink rabbit. And around its neck is something that caught my eye. It was another necklace but its pendant was a guitar pick. Lastly, there is a framed picture of him and me we took on the playground. It was the first picture we had together. Written behind was a letter.

 

 

Ssantoki,

 

 

 

      I’m giving you this picture for you to keep. Please treasure this properly. I have one for myself. Remember the first time we played under the rain? This time, we played under the snow.

 

      I’m sorry but I have to leave. I know it’s too sudden. But I want you to understand. Every time you miss me, remember to look up at the sky. Remember that we’re always under the same sky, even though it’s nighttime there and daytime here.

 

      Remember that I would never forget you. I love you.

 

                                                                                                                                               

 

                                                                                                                                                                Seung Hyun

These stuffs brought back tears to my eyes.

 

I’ll be back for you, Dara, he had said.