Unfaithfulness

First Romance

 

Jiyong immediately took off in the middle of their game. Every one of his team was shocked. The coach was furious. Taeyang was shocked. He wished that what Bom said wasn’t true. But he thinks it’s otherwise.

Jiyong rushed out of the gym, even ignoring the cheers of girls he’s passing and the scold of their coach.

When he arrived to the library, he noticed the librarian behind her table fixing her things already.

“Omo, it’s the team captain,” the librarian said.

Jiyong scanned the room and saw Dara also fixing her things.

Dara passed by him as if not seeing him there. But actually, she heard the librarian greet him upon arriving.

“Dara,” Jiyong said following her out the library.

Dara did not turn. She continued walking.

“Dara-ah!” he repeated. He held on to her right shoulder. “I’m sorry, I was practicing.”

She stopped walking and stared at his hand resting at her shoulder as if saying that he has to take it off. And he did.

“Go back to your team then. They need you,” Dara said plainly. She continued walking.

Then Jiyong held on to her wrist. “I’m really sorry. I thought you don’t want to tutor me.”

She turned to face him. Eyes boring into him. “It’s for your own good.”

Then she turned to walk away again.

“Dara-ah,” Jiyong said, in a softer voice now, not letting go of her wrist.

Dara inhaled deeply. “Okay,” he said without turning to him. “Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, immediately after class at the library. Every day during lunch time. You are not allowed to be late. One minute of tardiness means an hour longer to study. I will be strict because this is for your own good. Believe me,” she said dismissively, turning away to go home.

Jiyong let go of her. “Take care,” he said.

Dara walked away with a smile on her face.

 

Dara walked past her mother who’s cooking dinner and obviously needing help. She also walked past Minzy who was calling her repeatedly telling her to help their mom.

She lied on her back and reminisced the feel of his hand on her shoulder and on her wrist. If he could hear her heartbeat, she would be very embarrassed. Her heart has been beating very loudly since he held her shoulder. She hoped that he hasn’t noticed her fidgeting.

“Dara-unnie!” Minzy squeled.

“Oh, Minzy-ah! Were you saying something?” Dara said getting up.

“Like, duh? I have been calling you since you arrived,” Minzy said like a mom. “Mom needs help in cooking. Help her already.”

“Oh, yes, unnie,” Dara said jokingly.

“Mom!” Dara greeted.

“Oh, you look so happy today. Did something good happen at school? Would you like to share it with me?” her mom said.

“Oh no, I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Omo, omo. Someone’s blushing. Aigoo. My daughter’s in love.”

“Mom!” she complained but it does nothing to tone down her cheeks. Her mom gave her a knowing smile. “Okay. I think I like this guy. I met him at our first day of school.”

“Whoa. Does he know?”

“No, mom. I’m too shy.”

“You should start showing it, then.”

Dara thought deeply.

“Aigoo!” her mother squealed. It made her jump. “I’m so happy to hear you opening up with me.”

“Mom,” she complained. “Just continue cooking there. I’ll call dad.”

When she arrived at their room, she could hear her father’s hushed voice as if whispering. Then she saw him having a phone call back facing her. She was about to leave when she heard her father.

“Oh yes, Min Hyo-ah! I love you.” her father said whispering still.

Dara’s eyes widened. She doesn’t want to believe what she’s hearing.