Flashback: Arrogance

First Romance

 

Eight years had passed before since that day we met. It was during summer.

I was playing the guitar my dad gave me as a gift for my birthday. I got bored and I skipped merrily downstairs humming a tune.

I went outside and saw a truck.

“MOM!” I called with my high-pitched voice. “What’s a big white truck doing in front of the house next door?”

“What big white truck?” mom said joining me outside.

“That big white truck,” I said, pointing to the truck.

“I don’t know. Maybe the house next door was already sold. Wait here, I’ll go and meet the new owners.”

She left me at my spot but I didn’t stay put. I went to the park in front of our house and found a kid sitting alone on the see-saw with his back on me.

“Hello?” I said. “Are you from the family who just moved next door?”

He answered with silence; he didn’t even turn to me. Irritated, I went in front of him to clearly see his face. He had brown eyes and brown hair, eyes filled with sorrow and anger. He glared at me as if I’m the cause of his anger. Somehow, I thought to myself if I was really the cause of it. Was i? Did I disturb him? But I was persistent. I haven’t had a friend from our neighborhood since we moved to our house. There aren’t just any kids my age in our neighborhood. So I wanted to make friends with just anyone.

“Um, hello?” I repeated. “Have you heard anything I just said or was I talking to the air just now?”

He didn’t answer.

“You know, kid, it’s very nonsensical when you’re playing on a see-saw alone. It wouldn’t go up. You will always be down. Do you want me to play with you?”

No answer. Just glare. I’m starting to think if this kid is mute and deaf. Nevertheless, I sat across him and we started playing… in silence. Up, down, up, down… in silence. Often times, I catch him glancing at me, and he would immediately turn away. Most of the times, I’m the one who’s observing him, memorizing every feature of his face. Those sharp eyes seeming to pierce right through you when they’re looking at you, that high-bridged nose, those lips that stayed frowning never once lift their corners to just a faint glimmer of smile on his lips, and his jaws which are perfectly sculpted to be on his face. And how could I miss it? Those high cheek bones. He was just made perfect, except that he doesn’t smile.

“Hello?” I broke the silence suddenly noticing that I was looking at him very intently that maybe he was feeling uncomfortable. Just as I had a playmate, I don’t want him to leave immediately because of me. “What’s your name?”

No answer. I pursed my lips to stop the urge of shouting at him out of irritation.

“What’s your name, kid?” I asked.

Up and down the see-saw went, and I repeated the question over and over again like I’m some kid of a broken record.

I suddenly stopped, and I held the ground beneath my feet so I was looking up at him as if he’s floating midair. I was really irritated and I want him to talk to me now.

“Look, kid. We have been in this neighborhood for three years and I haven’t got a friend until now,” this made him stare at me. I finally caught his attention. I was holding his gaze so he won’t look away again. “I wanted to make a friend,” I softened my tone. “Could you be one?”

His forehead creased. Then the see-saw suddenly threw me up again. If I wasn’t holding on the handle in front of me, I would fall for sure.

The kid stood that made me fall from the see-saw and cause a scratch on my knee. He ran as fast as he could but I followed him limping.

“Hey!” I called while running. Until he entered the yard of the house next door. “Oh, so I’m right.”

The next day, I went downstairs and caught someone who just went out.

“Good morning, Dara,” my mom greeted.

“Who was that who just left?”

“Oh, that? She’s from next door. She has a kid too. She says he just turned eleven.”

I thought. Maybe it’s him. He looks the same age as me. Only, he’s older for a few months maybe. I’ll be turning eleven in a few months too. “What’s his name?”

“Name?” my mom thought for a while. “She mentioned his name, but I seemed to forget it.”

“Gah! Try to remember it mom.”

“Seu- Hyu- Hyung- I don’t know. I really forgot.”

I stomped my foot and went to the sofa.

“Oh, I nearly forgot too. She went here to invite us for an overnight camping next week. Isn’t it exciting?”

This caught my attention. I might get the boy to introduce himself. And then we can be friends.

For the next few days, I always go to the park to check if he’s there. But he’s not.

The day before the camp, I was sitting on my desk, looking out the window when he went out from their house and went to the park. He scanned the place for someone but that time, there wasn’t anyone there.

“Hey, kid!” I shouted and waved.

He looked at me with fierce eyes.

I left my position and ran downstairs. I went to the park to see it empty of anyone.

“I guessed he knew I was coming.”

I walked away and went towards their house. I took a peak from their gate and I saw him sitting on their doorstep with his head leaning on his crossed arms.

“What do you want now?” he said without looking up. It was the first time I heard him talk. And he had a deep voice for a kid.

“Hello,” I greeted. He straightened up, his eyes boring into mine. I wonder what he’s thinking. Whatever it is, I just want him to think that I can be a good friend.

“I just want to befriend you,” I said.

“If that’s what you want…” he stood up. I saw a glimmer of hope and I smiled. “…then you can leave now.”

My smile faded, and it became a frown. He turned and went inside.

“You’re charming…” I whispered, and then turned to leave. “…but you’re personality stinks.”

I stomped my way to my room. I lied on my back staring at the ceiling.

“I just wanted to be friends with you.”

The camping day came…

In the van, dad was driving. I was playing the guitar and everyone was singing along – my mom, my dad, his mom – but he wasn’t. He was just sitting at the farthest corner and just staring out the window. Honestly, I never even expected that he would come along. Glad that he did though.

But I was just wondering why his dad wasn’t here. Maybe that was because why he’s depressed. But, he’s always like this, isn’t he?

When we arrived, we still had to hike for a kilometer or two, because the van would not be able to drive up. The way up the mountain was steep. Good thing I was wearing a comfortable pair of shoes.

He was just in front of me. My dad is behind. Then I stumbled. The kid turned and just stared at me.

“AH!” I shouted so he would help. “It hurts!” but he just turned around and acted as if nothing happened.

“Aish!” I said. “So arrogant.”

“Dara!” dad called. “I just bent for a second to tie my shoes and you stumble already.”

“Carry me on my back, dad,” I suggested.

He did. He looked at my knee. “Oh, there’s not even a scratch. Are you sure that it hurts, Dara?”

I chuckled.

“I think you just wanted a free ride.”

We arrived at around 11AM. The place is so refreshing. The green grass, the tall trees. Everything here is so refreshing that I just wanted to stay and live here. The air is also fresh that I can just let it swoosh against my face causing my hair to fly with it. I also love the sound of the trees rustling with the wind, the birds chirping. It is just so peaceful in here.

While my parents, along with his mom, were preparing our lunch, I enjoyed the scenery. With mom’s permission, I wandered and tried not to be lost.

I climbed one short tree. I was lying on my back on one of its branches. I love to climb trees, a skill I learned before we moved to our present address. We once lived on the province where there are trees like these and I learned to climb them. While on top, I looked for the kid. He was nowhere in sight. Instead of bothering though, I sat straight letting my legs swing and enjoying the fresh wind against my face. Then I heard a sneeze.