Confession II

First Romance

 

But as soon as Dara was gone, she sat back up and decided to stay for a while. She thought back to what Dara said.

It’s never wrong to love someone who you think you would not fall for. It’s never wrong to love a friend.

She doesn’t know if Dara’s right. It may not be applicable to them. But she sure wants to try. However, she thinks she’s not ready yet. But the other side of her mind argues. If not now, when?

“Bommie!” someone called.

Bom turned his head. It was unexpected. She never knew he would come especially now that she’s thinking of him. She gasped as he took in his haggard figure. He was panting. Sweat are dripping from his forehead.

“I was looking for you,” he said.

“Taeyang,” Bom whispered.

“I never thought that you’ll be at Dara’s,” he said sitting at the swing beside Bom, and then whispered as if embarrassed of what he’s going to say next. “I was worried.”

Bom stared at him. “Worried?” then she giggled.

Taeyang stared at her. “What’s so funny?”

Then Bom started laughing really hard that she felt her tummy twisting. She stopped when she saw Taeyang seemed mad.

Then silence… a gust of wind filled in causing goose bumps on Bom’s skin. She rubbed her arms to warm herself.

“Here,” Taeyang offered his jacket.

“What is this for?” Bom asked.

“To keep you warm.  It will be cold. I didn’t bring a car. I only brought my motorbike,” Taeyang said.

Bom stared at him, imagining the scene - Taeyang driving the motorbike, her hands around Taeyang's waist. She blushed.

Taeyang stood up. “What are you still doing? Put that on and let’s go home.”

She put the jacket on, and wrapped her body. It was so cold. It’s as if the winter nights stayed even though it’s already spring. “Let’s stay here for a while.”

Taeyang doesn’t know what she’s into. He really thought she has a problem or whatsoever. So, hearing this, he thought he’s right and sat back to the swing where he was sitting.

However, he was met with silence. Whatever, I’ll ride along.

Later, Bom broke the silence. “Have you found the girl whom you’ll spend the rest of your life with?”

Taeyang stared at her. But she’s staring straight. He shrugged. Maybe this is what she wants to talk about. Maybe it will lead to her eventually. So I was right? She has a love life which I knew nothing about? Whatever, I’ll ride along. “Yes,” he plainly said. “She’s a friend…”

Bom smiled, suddenly hopeful.

“…she’s Dara,” Taeyang finished.

Bom lowered her head upon hearing that. She felt her heart crushed into pieces. Who am I for him to love me too? Who am I for him to return the feelings I have for him? What the hell am I thinking? “You really like her, eh?”

“Yeah. I just knew that it’s her when I met her the first time at the gym. I just knew that she’s the girl I’m going to spend the rest of my life with,” Taeyang said, not noticing Bom crying silently. “How about you? Who’s the guy you like?”

“I like my friend,” she said, trying hard so her voice wouldn’t shake. She already tried to hold back her tears but she failed. Thanks to her long hair, her face is covered. Taeyang couldn’t see her tear-stricken face. She can already feel the weight of his stare. “He doesn’t know I like him. I’ve been hiding my feelings for him for years now.”

“Do I know him? Hey, we’re childhood friends,” he punched her shoulder. “Why haven’t you mentioned it to me?”

She raised her head. Now Taeyang noticed that she was crying. He was shocked. “Well,” she sniffed first. She can’t hold them back. “I’ve been spending most of my nights thinking how I can tell him. But… the problem is…” she paused. Taeyang was now closer to her, anticipating. “…he loves my best friend.”