Promised

First Romance

 

 “I would leave you alone if you kiss Seunghyun in front of Jiyong,” Chaerin said.

Dara creased her forehead. “How could I…”

“We both know that it would be for the good of all. Right? So, what do you say?”

“You’re impossible,” Dara mumbled.

“Funny, though, you spoke the same words as Jiyong this morning.”

“What?”

“So, what do you say? I’ll give you another condition. I’ll be your friend again if you agree with my first condition.”

Dara was thoughtful.

Chaerin pulled out her hand to Dara. “So, what do you say, FRIEND? Deal?

 

“Hello, honey?” Chaerin said the moment Jiyong picked up the phone.

“I’m here already, what do you want me to do now?” Jiyong demanded, glancing to his left and right to look for whatever Chaerin wanted him to see.

“A romantic movie is going on right now.”

“Romantic movie?” Jiyong asked, an eyebrow rose.

“Look up to our school building.”

Jiyong did. At first, he doesn’t know what she wanted him to see. But at the fourth floor, by their classroom window, he saw two lonely eyes looking through him. He dropped his hand without hanging up the phone.

 

Dara just kept on looking at his eyes. She can’t waste more time now. It must be her last time to look at those two eyes. She noticed him confused of whatever she’s thinking now. She noticed him taking a step forward as if it made a difference, as if it made them closer to each other. But right now, nothing can make her feel closer to him now. He’s distant now.

“Dara…” Seunghyun interrupted her.

Dara jumped, suddenly forgetting that she was with someone on their classroom.

Seunghyun was about to go toward the window to see whatever she’s looking at. Afraid that he would see Jiyong, she immediately grabbed his arm to make him turn his back to the window.

Meanwhile, Jiyong understood what Chaerin meant by a romantic movie.

Dara gripped tighter on Seunghyun’s arm.

“What’s wrong, Dara?” he asked, concerned.

She dropped her hand from his arm. She heaved a sigh. Then looked up to those two eyes that see her as a woman. But she feels bad that she can’t return his feelings for her. She sees him only as her best friend. As her protector. The one that promised to stay by her side whatever happens. She smiled up to him.

He smiled back. “Dara, you’re making me worry. A while ago, it looked like you wanted to cry, now you’re-“

Seunghyun trailed off when he felt Dara’s tensed hands on his nape. Her hands were cold and it made his hair behind his neck stand on end. he was about to talk again when she closed her eyes to kiss him, pressing into him, needing the feel of his lips against hers, basking in the wonderful, warm glow of his love, the moment growing and swelling and expanding until it fills every space, every nook, every cranny.

But this wasn’t the kiss she wanted to feel. Even though it felt good feeling his lips against hers, she can’t help but to open her eyes and look down where Jiyong was standing. But what caught her eyes was his phone on the ground.

Seunghyun leaned away first. “Dara?” he asked eyes wide.

Dara smiled.

“Does this mean…”

Dara nodded.

Seunghyun hugged her so tight, he was about to crush her. “I love you, Dara!”

“I know,” she said.

 

“Gaaah!” Bom groaned out loud. “Mister Choi’s not here yet. And I’m bored. What shall I do?”

“Ladies and gentlemen!!!” Chaerin shouted as she was standing on her desk chair. “I want announce something to everybody…”

Her classmates turned their attention to her.

“I want to announce that there are two new lovely couples here in our room.”

The students started to chatter to each other.

“Yes, yes. What you heard are true, ladies and gentlemen. Let me tell you the first couple. The boy is the famous rapper T.O.P.! T.O.P., stand up please…”

Hesitantly, Seunghyun stood up and bowed.

“Now, guess who his girl is.”

The students started to shout names. Some girls got it right, but most shouted their own names.

“Why don’t we let T.O.P. be the one to tell us?”

Seunghyun cleared his throat. But he didn’t know how to say it, though. So, instead, he took the hand of Dara and let the people think what he wanted to say.

The students gave different reactions. Some of them were against them, most were supporting them.

“And of course, the other couple will be announced to you by Kwon Jiyong. Jiyong?”

Jiyong stood up and cleared his throat. It took all of his will to not look at Dara’s direction. “I want to tell everyone that my girlfriend is…”

Even though he didn’t want to, he was able to take a glimpse at Dara, who grabbed Seunghyun’s hand. Seunghyun held her hand tight.

“…Lee Chaerin.”

Everyone was shocked. It wasn’t what they expected to be. They expected it to be Jiyong and Dara because of their closeness. They noticed that Chaerin and Jiyong are not that close. Suddenly, there were a few uneasy and hesitant claps from the students.

“Thank you… I’m happy to have him as my boyfriend,” Chaerin said. Suddenly, she gave Jiyong a smack on his lips. Then she turned to Seunghyun and Dara, who was hiding half of her face behind her “boyfriend”. “So, what do you think? A double-date after class?”

Seunghyun and Jiyong’s eyes were on Dara. Dara stared at Jiyong. Then she looked up at Seunghyun. “What do you think, sweetie?”

Seunghyun flinched but he tried to not make it obvious. So, he nodded.

”We would love to,” Dara said, turning to Chaerin.

 

“This is the best night eveeeeer!” Dara shouted as soon as they got out from the KTV. She stretched her arms up.

“Dara, you’re drunk,” Seunghyun said, supporting Dara.

“Drunk? Who’s drunk? I’m not drunk,” Dara said and went running away from them to dance in the middle of the parking lot.

“Dara!” Seunghyun shouted and ran after her. She was laughing while running. That made Seunghyun laugh while chasing her too. It looked like they were two kids playing in a playground.

Jiyong was about to run towards them to stop the wild Dara from running around when he felt a hand grasping firmly on his arm.

“Aren’t they too cute?” Chaerin asked. “I wonder why she let herself get drunk.”

Suddenly, a memory flashed in his mind. He remembered her mother telling him that she never drinks. She drinks when she wants to get out of the confinements of her room. Without her family at home, she doesn’t have anyone to talk to. Maybe this is her way of expressing what she truly feels.

“Hah! You’re such a loser, Seunghyun!” Dara shouted. Seunghyun was lying in the middle of the parking lot, tired, while Dara stopped in front of him. She grabbed his arm. “Come, Jiyongie! Let’s play too!” but she felt a hand slapping her hand away. “Ow!” she gasped and pouted. “That hurts!” she looked up to the one who slapped her hand away and smiled. “Oh, Chaerin! You’re here too?”

“Dara, let’s go home,” Seunghyun appeared behind her, his tone becoming serious.

“No!” Dara said, stomping.

“Dara…” Jiyong whispered. Dara stared at him. Then he turned to Seunghyun. “I’ll bring Dara home.”

“She’s my girlfriend. Shouldn’t I be the one to bring her home?” Seunghyun asked.

“Chaerin and you live in the same house. You two go home together.”

“It’s not like Dara and you live in the same house too. Just let me-“

“Ya! Stop fighting, will you?!” Dara burst out. “Seunghyun’s right, Jiyong. He’s my boyfriend. He must bring me home. You should bring Chaerin home too. She’s your GIRLFRIEND!”

“Good. Then, let’s go home,” Seunghyun said, leading her the way.

“Nah. I don’t want to!”

“But you just said…”

“I want to drink more,” Dara said, marching towards the KTV again, but Jiyong’s hand stopped her. “Let go!”

Chaerin hand slapped her hand away again.

“Ya! That’s the second time, lady!” Dara said, marching toward Chaerin to slap her face. But, Seunghyun was quick to grab and carry her.

“Come on, baby Ssantokki. You’re too drunk!” Seunghyun scolded her.

“Let me down!” Dara struggled.

“Shut up or I’ll kiss you,” Seunghyun warned.

“Just let me down, you…”

She got cut off when his lips sought hers.

Seunghyun leaned away. “Are you going to struggle more?”

Dara just pouted and remained still.

“Okay now, we’re going home,” Seunghyun said, turning away from Chaerin and Jiyong, who was dumbfounded by what he just witnessed.

When they were gone…

“What’s with that look?” Chaerin asked, glaring at him.

“Let’s go home,” Jiyong just said.

 

Dara was unconsciously craning her neck to stare at the empty desk behind her.

“He’s absent, Dara,” Bom’s voice in front of her.

“Oh, Bom. Why’s he absent?”

“He wanted to stay home. Don’t know why though.”

“And Chaerin’s absent too.”

“Yes, she traveled to France to take care of her stepfather’s business.”

“Stepfather?” Dara and Bom chorused.

Seunghyun nodded. “Well, her father died years ago and her mother remarried. She’s the same as me. Although, her stepfather expects too much from her that she does business with him too and expects her to be their heiress.”

“Oh, Dara. Why did you become so thoughtful all of a sudden?” Bom asked.

“Eh? Nothing,” Dara said.

 

The next day…

“Oh, you’re present today…” Seunghyun said as he saw Jiyong coming into the classroom.

“And Chaerin?” Dara asked.

“Still tending to her stepfather’s business. What’s with all these looking-for-Chaerin, Dara?”

Dara was caught off guard. “Um, just thought we could do another double-date.”

 

Taeyang thought of facing the reality, that’s why, he breathed deeply before entering the library.

“Oh, Taeyang,” Jaejoong greeted.

“Can I talk to you?” Taeyang asked Bom who was just beside Jaejoong.

Bom stared at Jaejoong as if asking for permission. He nodded.

At the rooftop…

“What do you want to talk about, Taeyang?” Bom asked. “Do you want me to…” she paused. “…advise you about Dara having Seunghyun as her boyfriend?”

“Will you just shut up?” Taeyang snapped.

Bom glared at him. “Fine!” she crossed her arms.

Taeyang heaved a sigh. “I’m sorry.”

Bom softened her eyes and pursed her lips. Taeyang grabbed her hand between his hands. He gazed right into her eyes.

“Bom, I love you…” he trailed off, waiting for a response from her. But she didn’t even flinch. So he decided to continue.

But what happened next was not something he expected. Bom hugged him tight.

“Bom?” Taeyang asked.

“I know, Taeyang. Finally, you’ve realized.”

Taeyang was clueless. He broke free from her hug. “But weren’t you supposed to reject me? I mean, you’re going out with Jaejoong, right?”

“It’s all for show, Taeyang,” a familiar voice said.

Taeyang turned to see Jaejoong with a smile glued on his face. He turned to Bom. “What do you mean for show?”

“We aren’t really dating,” Bom said plainly.

“She rejected me. She’s in love with you, Taeyang,” Jaejoong explained.

His eyes never left Bom’s. Suddenly, he creased his brows.

“Taeyang?” Bom said, about to hold his hand.

“Don’t!” Taeyang said, leaning away. “You fooled me!”

“Taeyang, we did that so you would get jealous…” Jaejoong said.

“No, you fooled me! You were playing me for a fool! You toyed with my feelings!”

“Taeyang, we didn’t-“

“Don’t tell me more lies!” Taeyang burst out and ran away.

 

At the cafeteria…

“Seunghyun, can I ask you something?” Dara asked.

Seunghyun looked at her intently.

“Do you remember when we went to the KTV with Chaerin and Jiyong? After that, did I do something crazy? I think I got drunk. I really can’t remember…”

Seunghyun couldn’t help but smile. He pinched her cheeks. “You are so cute when you’re innocent.”

Dara panicked. Now she was sure she did something crazy. “Tell me!”

Seunghyun giggled and then turned serious. “Do you really want to know?” he whispered, his face just inches from hers.

Dara was thoughtful. “No,” she pouted.

Seunghyun laughed now. He pinched her cheeks again. “You were doing that a lot that night.”

“Can I join you?” Bom asked.

“Oh, sure,” Seunghyun said.

“Where’s Taeyang?” Dara asked.

“Well, he’s-“

“Guys!” Honey arrived.

“Oh, why are you panting?” Dara asked.

“Ji…yong… he… basket…”

“Just sit first and breathe! We can’t understand you,” Dara complained, handing her a bottle of water.

After drinking and panting some more, “Jiyong, he collapsed.”

“What?!” Dara gasped, unable to hide her surprise.

“His teammates found him lying in the middle of the court, sweating so much and all. They said he was burning hot.”

Dara stood up. “Where’s he?”

“Clinic.”

“Let’s go,” Bom said, standing up.

“How about our assignment? I haven’t done it yet, so I was planning to do it after lunch,” Seunghyun said.

“Oh,” Bom gasped. “Then, let’s do it now.”

“I’ve done it last night,” Dara said.

“Good then. You can go and visit him now,” Bom said, shooing her.

“But…” Dara stammered, looking at Seunghyun.

Seunghyun gave her a small smile and nodded.

 

It looked like she was staring at the clinic’s door for an hour now. There were two factors that were stopping her from knocking on that door. First, she’s not yet ready to face Jiyong. And second, she doesn’t want to see her father’s mistress, who is apparently, their school nurse. Inhaling deeply, she finally decided to just open the door and face whatever she has to inside.

Surprisingly, the clinic’s empty except for Jiyong who was peacefully sleeping on the bed. She took small steps towards him, afraid to wake him up. She slowly reached out her hand to feel his temperature. He was still feverish. She wondered what made him collapsed. Was he doing that on purpose? If so, why did he do that? Is he having a problem or something that he needed to let it out through basketball and he did it until he collapsed? Or is it just her paranoid mind? Maybe he had a fever since last night and stressing himself too much made him like this.

“Can I talk to you?” Dara asked at the still-unconscious Jiyong.

She pulled a stool and sat. She grabbed his hand between her and kissed it gently.

“I love you, too, Jiyong. I’m so stupid for not letting you know that night. But maybe it was meant to be like this. But surely, I regret seeing you and Chaerin together. I don’t know if you have noticed the pain in my eyes. Maybe you didn’t, because you were avoiding having to gaze straight into my eyes, weren’t you?” she paused. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry you have to see Seunghyun and me together. I want this to end now. But I can’t. And I just can’t tell you the reason why. But, always… always remember that what you’re feeling towards me is not one-sided. I love you… since the day I first laid my eyes on you… well, it may sound corny, but it’s true. The first day you bumped into me, have you remembered that day?” she asked, and giggled. “I never forgot that feeling when your hand touched mine even just for a split-second. It was as if electricity coursed through me. If that happened to me in the past or if it wasn’t you, I wouldn’t know what that meant. But now, I know, you’re my first romance, Jiyong…” she smiled to herself, gripping his hand tighter. “I have never felt this kind of feeling before. Not even Seunghyun made me feel this way,” she said, staring at his closed eyes. “I hope you can hear me now.”