Concern

First Romance

 

Dara knows it’s always wrong to eavesdrop. Just this once, she thought.

She stayed frozen on her place. Not wanting to alert her father, she tried to breathe silently, she tried to not move an inch, and she tried everything so the littlest noise wouldn’t be heard.

“Oh, honey, what are you saying?” his dad paused, listening to the other line, still in hushed tones. “You are my one and only,” he paused again. “Whispering?” he said, a little louder, but not enough for her mom to hear. “Who’s whispering? I’m not. This is my normal voice,” the father said. It looked like the woman on the other line calmed down. “You just have to trust me in this, baby, ok?”

“Dara-ah!” her mom shouted downstairs.

Dara jumped. She peeked inside their parents’ room to see if her dad heard her. But, thankfully, he was still talking to his phone.

Dara acted as if she just arrived. She acted as if she just ran climbing upstairs. She gasped for breath. “Dad!”

Her dad was startled. He turned. “Oh, why?” he tried to cover the mouthpiece of the phone.

“Food’s ready,” Dara said, her voice shaking. She cannot hide her loneliness.

“Oh,” her dad said. He turned to the phone. “Okay, bye,” he said, his tone sounds as if he’s just talking casually with a friend. “I’m coming down.”

 

During dinner, it’s evident that Dara has just found out something. She tried to act normal but she can’t. It’s hurting her more if she’s pretending. Often times, when her mom asks her, she gives short answers – a nod, a shrug, a shake of the head, a yes, a no, or an I-don’t-know. Her father noticed it.

“Are you okay, honey?” her father asked, holding her right hand.

Not a split-second has passed when their skin touched; Dara immediately pulled away her hand. But she saw the horrored face of her family, so she assured them, “I’m okay,” she said, forcing a toothed smile. “Um, gosh, I’m full,” she said a little exaggeratedly. Her plate is still full. She only ate about a quarter of her food. “I’m going upstairs to study. Please don’t disturb me,” she said, glaring at Minzy. “That means, you, Minzy.”

She faked a laugh too while climbing upstairs.

Upon arriving at her room, she locked the door and the tears she held in for so long a while ago rolled down her cheeks silently. She stayed up all night. She couldn’t sleep. She kept thinking how her father is such an unfaithful jerk who only hurts their mom. She kept thinking if her mother knew about this. And if she did, maybe that was the reason why most of the time she stays up crying alone in their room. Maybe that’s the reason why she is such an indifferent mother, who keeps on pretending he’s not hurt in front of her daughters. Maybe that’s it. She doesn’t want her daughters to worry. But it’s too late. Dara’s heart was crushed into pieces. She thinks she’s so stupid that someday she can work this family problem out, thinking that they only lacked time being together. Now, she understood, it was her father’s fault.

“Unfaithful bastard,” these were the last words she said before she cried herself to sleep once more.

 

Throbbing head, swollen eyes, husky voice, itchy and dry throat. Dara thought she’s sick. These were only the effects of her staying up late crying.

She stared at her watch, 7:30 AM.

“Omo!” she squealed and immediately got ready to go to school.

In a matter of minutes, she’s done. She didn’t take her breakfast. And miraculously, her mother wasn’t there to tell her to. She ran as fast as she can. But every step she takes, she can feel the world around her spinning like crazy and her head throbbing as if something was pushing its way through her skull.

 

Jiyong was on his way to school. He knew he was late. He slept through his alarm clock. And his maid never woke him up. According to them, Bom went ahead of him, complaining that he’s a lazy cousin who sleeps all day.

Jiyong looked out of his window to the right. He wasn’t sure if what he saw was right, but he thought Dara was running shakily. When his car drew past her, she saw her pale face. It was her. Then, she fell to the ground.

“Dara!” he shouted. But she can’t hear her, he’s inside the car. “Mister Go,” he said to his driver. “Please stop the car.”

“Why, Young Master Kwon?” Mister Go Ji Joong said.

“JUST STOP THE CAR! DAMN IT!” Jiyong shouted.

When the car stopped, he immediately got off and ran to her. There are no people around yet because it’s too early.

“Young Master!” Mister Lim Hae Man called, Jiyong’s personal assistant. “May I help you?” he ran toward them.

Jiyong carried Dara on his arms. Her skin feels hot, she’s shaking, and she’s sweating.

“Open the door,” he commanded to Mister Lim.

“May I help you sir?” Mister Lim asked as Jiyong carried Dara to the back seat.

“I can do this,” Jiyong said.

In the car, Dara’s head is lying at Jiyong’s thigh. He kept on staring at her face. He wiped the sweat forming at her forehead.

“Where are we going, Young Master?” Mister Go asked.

“To school,” he said plainly, his gaze never once leaving her face. “I’ll bring her to the school infirmary. She only needs rest.”

When he arrived to school, he immediately brought her to the infirmary.

“Good Morning Miss Shin,” Jiyong greeted.

“Omo, what happened to her?” Miss Shin, the school doctor asked.

“She was running, and then she fell. I think she was dizzy because she ran unsteadily,” Jiyong explained.

“Omo, it’s so sweet of you. Your girlfriend is so lucky to have you,” she said.

“Girlfriend?” Jiyong said. “Oh no. she’s my classmate.”

“Don’t deny. I can see it at the way you look at her.”

Jiyong didn’t deny any further.

“Go now, attend the class,” Miss Shin said.

“Can’t I just stay and watch her instead?” Jiyong said hesitantly.