Watcher

First Romance

 

In the end, Jiyong was sent to his classroom by Miss Shin. He wasn’t given a choice.

Looking now outside the window, as usual, he thought of her. The look on her face running unsteadily as if she’s drunk, the way he felt her on his arms while carrying her, the way her sleeping figure sticks on his mind until now. It made an impression to him. He knows he’s very worried, seeing her lying there with uneven breathing. He knows she’s sick. He can’t take it anymore. He wants to go visit her NOW.

He looked at his watch. Any second now, the bell will ring for their 30-minute break. He promised her that he’ll go back to check on her.

5…

I hope she’s okay.

4…

I wonder why she was running.

3…

Why is she sick?

2…

Did something happen before I found her this morning?

1…

I hope she’s awake now.

RRRRIIIINNNGGG!

 

He ran as fast as he could. The infirmary is on the ground floor and their room was on the top floor. he felt guilty not telling his cousin what happened to Dara. It wasn’t his fault. He has to check up on her right now. No time to waste. This is very important. He thought.

He slammed the door open while panting.

“Omo,” Miss Shin jumped from her seat. “It’s you. You scared me. I thought it was another patient. Don’t worry your girlfriend’s alright.”

“Oh… No –“ Jiyong started to protest.

“Her temperature got down. She’s alright now. I think she stayed up late last night. Notice her eyes were swollen this morning? I think she was crying last night? Did you two had a fight?”

“Oh no, ma’am. I’m just her seatmate.”

“Oh,” Miss Shin’s face fell. “You two look good with each other. Court her.” She nudged his shoulder. Jiyong just stared at Dara’s peaceful face. “Anyway, she will be alright when she wakes up. She’s just stressed. And I have a favor to ask you,” she said, her face serious. “Try to talk to her about whatever happened last night. She was crying because she was alone. I think she was looking for someone to talk to but she felt alone.”

Jiyong finally understood. Dara can be a mystery herself. Maybe she had a fight with Bom. But that would be impossible, Bom was looking for her and no sign on Bom’s face was saying they had a fight. How about Taeyang? Are they already a couple then? Did they have a fight? He doubted. Taeyang would tell him immediately if they’re a couple already like he used to from his past serious relationships that always ended up with him being hurt. And besides, he knows Taeyang would never hurt a girl, much less Dara, he loves her too much. What then? A family problem perhaps? Her mother is nice. He doubted it. There’s so much he has to learn about Dara. And he wishes to know her more during their tutorial sessions.

He was continually staring at Dara that he never noticed Miss Shin left his side. The break’s not over so he pulled a chair beside Dara’s bed and stared at her intently. He never once looked at Dara this close. He never looked at anyone this raptly. Dara is special.

Jiyong never knew Dara had thick and long lashes. her cheekbones, her nose, her lips. He stared at them intently. She was so peaceful sleeping that Jiyong was immediately lured. He never knew at first why most boys of this school like her. Now he knew. She was beautiful. Her skin seemed to glow. Everyone was lured by her beauty.

Jiyong was avoding the urge of touching her face. And he found his hand slowly reaching out.

Someone cleared . Jiyong stiffened and stood up as if he was just about to leave. And he started walking towards the door.

“I know you like her,” Miss Shin said when Jiyong passed by her.

 

Why did I do that? He thought while walking the now empty hallway. He didn’t notice that the bell already rang.

Why did I do that? He thought while the class was going on. He was again looking outside the window.

Why did I do that? He thought when the bell finally rang and interrupted his thoughts. He now stood up and headed to the clinic.

“Couz!” Bom called. “Are you joining us this lunch?”
“No, I have to go somewhere,” Jiyong said rushing.

Bom hissed.

 

“Oh, you again!” Miss Shin said. In a sarcastic tone, she added. “I never thought you’ll visit her.” she chuckled. “She’s still asleep. Have you taken your lunch?”

“No, I’m staying here.”

“You want to be like her?” she reached into her pocket and pulled out her money. “Go buy food for the both of us. Let’s eat here. So you can still watch her.”