Someday

First Romance

 

For one whole night, Dara’s mind is filled with bad memories of her childhood. Waking up in the morning, she felt her head throbbing.

She went downstairs to fill her tummy.

“Good morning, dear,” her mom greeted.

Dara sighed, “Good morning,” she said but having the exact opposite of a ‘good morning.’ “Where’s dad?”

“Upstairs. Sleeping. He just arrived an hour ago,” her mother answered.

“Have you fought yet?”

“Dara!” her mom scolded.

“Why?” she faced her mother. “It’s not new. Every day, I’ll be woken up by your furious and nonsense arguments. You, shouting at his face, him, shouting at yours. I’m even used to smelling his reek. But, I only wished a simple family. I didn’t ask any materialistic wish from you, did I? Then, why can’t you just grant this simple wish of mine?”

“You don’t understand,” her mom started to cry.

“What? What thing didn’t I undertand? I know the situation of our family. Just don’t act that you don’t. Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I just wish it was all a nightmare. But I’m always greeted by your arguments. I only wished to be greeted by two parents who are at peace,” Dara stood up.

“I’m trying! I’m trying to make this family whole again. But... but… I don’t know. I can’t,” her mother sobbed.

Dara just stood there, looking at her mother sobbing.

“What happened? Minzy appeared at the kitchen, rubbing her eyes. However, it seemed that they haven’t heard her.

“I don’t know,” her mother said, trying to reach out to her. I’m sorry, Dara. You see –“upon reaching her, she slapped her mother’s hand.

“I don’t want to hear your explanations,” she turned her back to her mother and saw Minzy standing in front of her. She felt sorry that Minzy was able to witness their argument. This is the first time.

 

Meanwhile…

“Jiyong, come on. Give me an idea,” Taeyang said. “How should I spend our date?”

They were playing at the basketball court of the Kwon residence.

“I don’t know. It’s your date. You think about it yourself,” Jiyong said.

“Wow! Thanks for your help, buddy,” Taeyang said sarcastically.

He called Dara.

“Hello?” Dara said in a husky voice as if not using it for a long time.

“Are you ready, Dara?” Taeyang said, excitedly.

Dara was clueless.

“Hello? You still there?” Taeyang said. “Are you ready for our date?”

Dara gaped. “Aigoo! I forgot. Wait for me. Can we just meet at around three? I need time to prepare. You know…”

“Okay. Spend some time with your girly side, Dara,” Taeyang said, already imagining Dara in a beautiful dress.

 

Dara hung up the phone and stared blankly at the ceiling. It doesn’t take her that long for her to prepare, she just wants a longer time to be alone.

“Unnie?” Minzy’s little voice broke her reverie.

“Oh, what?”

“You haven’t taken your lunch yet and it’s late,” Minzy said bringing towards Dara’s bed a tray of her favorite food. She knew her mother was the one who cooked it. But she doesn’t want to disappoint her little sister of not eating the meal she brought.

 

“Omo, am I late?” Dara said, gasping for breath. She was obviously running.

“No, you’re not. You’re just –“ Taeyang was cut off by his own amazement when he noticed Dara’s beauty. She was wearing a knee-length floral dress.

“Is it that bad?” she said.

“You look… gorgeous,” he said, his face still in awe.

“So,” Dara said feeling awkward, “What are we going to do?”

 

They watched a movie first.

Taeyang noticed Dara shivering so he took off his jacket for her.

After they watched a movie, Taeyang brought her to a five-star restaurant. It was her first time eating at such an expensive restaurant, so she was amazed. She was also amused by Taeyang being a gentleman. He lent her his jacket, he held the door open for her, and he held the chair out for her to sit. She knew this is what guys do when on dates but Taeyang’s sincerity on doing this are felt.

 

“God, I’m full,” Taeyang said. “Let’s go home?”

Dara stared at her watch. It’s seven. She told Minzy not to tell their mom about this date and that she’ll go home before eight. But she doesn’t want to go home yet. She still feels very heavy about their fight this morning. “No. I don’t feel like going home. Let’s stay at the park first.”

They talked at the park – well Taeyang did the talking. He talked and talked while walking that he did not notice Dara wasn’t listening. Her mind was at their fight. She felt guilty. But at the same time, she felt that it was the right thing to do.

Taeyang stopped. Dara hasn’t noticed that she still kept on walking alone. “Dara?”

Dara looked at her sides looking for the source of the voice.

“Dara?” Taeyang said then she turned. “Are you okay? Let me take you home now.”

“No!” she protested. “Let’s… sit there,” she pointed to a bench.

They were silent. Taeyang felt that Dara was troubled. He never dared try to ask her. Later he felt her head leaning on his shoulder. She fell asleep. He stared at her face. There was a trace of tears on her face. She was crying.

“I hope someday, you could be open with me. But I feel that you’re not ready yet. Someday,” Taeyang whispered to the sleeping Dara, and then he kissed her forehead.