Snatch

First Romance

 

“That apple that hit my head…” Jaejoong started, looking at each of their faces for any signs of reaction but it didn’t come so he continued. “…I didn’t know whom it came from.”

“Oh!” Taeyang gasped. “I know, it was-“

However, Jiyong beat him to it. He immediately fed him a spoonful of food. “You know it’s not good if you speak with your mouth full.”

Bom glared at the two beside her. She cleared . “So, are you… single?”

Jaejoong stared at her and chuckled. “Yeah, why?”

Bom immediately stood up from her seat and offered her hand. “My name’s Park Bom, Dara’s best friend, nice to meet you.”

Jaejoong bowed and shook hands with her. He noticed Taeyang throwing a glare towards Bom and he giggled.

Taeyang offered his hand out too, “My name’s Taeyang, Bom’s childhood friend and Dara’s friend.”

Jaejoong bowed again. Seunghyun offered his hand too. “I’m Choi Seunghyun, Dara’s childhood friend. And she’s Lee Chae Rin, my friend from France.”

Chaerin shook hands with him too.

Jaejoong waited for the last person to introduce himself too but it never came. So Dara cleared . “Um, he’s Kwon Jiyong, my classmate and Bom’s cousin.”

“Annyeong,” Jaejoong greeted but he didn’t respond. Instead, he just continued eating his food.

 

4 PM… when Dara decided to go out and pick up some flowers for her mom. She went to the nearby river where the beautiful flowers usually bloom. She was surprised to see someone lying just beside the river and staring up at the sky. She didn’t want to disturb him so she tiptoed towards the flowers.

“I’m sorry, Dara,” he suddenly said.

Dara stopped on her tracks and turned to him. He was still staring off at the sky.

He sat up. “I’m sorry, Dara,” he repeated.

“No need to be sorry. You were the one who’s mad weren’t you? So, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it wasn’t your fault, really. It was mine.”

She remained silent, still thinking what caused him to slap away her hand and be mad at her. But she never asked. What’s important is that she and Jiyong are friends now. She sat beside him.

“It’s so nice in here,” he said.

“Yes, I want to live here.”

“You love peaceful places,” he said, matter-of-factly.

Dara nodded, but she weren’t sure if he saw as to he was still staring up at the sky. She stood up and went to the river bank. “This place really reminds me of Seunghyun. Several years ago, after Seunghyun left me, I used to stay here and think of him. This place looked and felt exactly like the lake where Seunghyun and I first talked and had our very first real conversation.” She felt the necklace in her pocket and took it out, examining the pendant. However, it slipped off her fingers. “Oh no!” she gasped. She tried reaching it but it fell to the water. She was about to get in to the water when she was about to slip. A strong arm lifted her up and put her on her feet.

“Stay here,” Jiyong ordered and went into the water.

Dara followed and sat at a rock. Her expression was blank as she just stared at Jiyong looking frantically for the necklace which he doesn’t own but from the way he hysterically search for it, it’s as if it’s the most precious gem he owns. From the search, it caused Jiyong’s uniform to be wet. Although the water is until his thigh only, his upper body is already wet from the splashing water caused by him trying to search for the necklace, sometimes mumbling to himself as if stating a chant so he will be able to find it.

From what she saw, it made her overwhelmed because of Jiyong’s persistence of finding the necklace. It made her want to cry in reasons she isn’t sure enough. She wanted to help him but she seemed to be glued to where she’s sitting. She felt her hand reaching out to him when suddenly Jiyong straightened up from his crouching position and turned to her with a bright beam on his face and slowly he went towards her. But Dara can’t react very well. She just sat there, a hand still raised and kept on staring at him – his beaming face, his bright smile, his dripping wet hair and body. But she hasn’t noticed the necklace on his hand.

Then a tear fell from her eye.

The bright smile on his face slowly faded as he rushed towards her. He immediately raised the necklace to her eye level but she just kept on staring at his face. He noticed more tears flooding down her cheeks. Panicking, he raised his free hand to wipe the tears off her face.

“Dara, are you alright?” he asked very gently, as if she’s very fragile.

That was when she snapped out of her reverie. She immediately grabbed the handkerchief from her pocket and offered it to him. Jiyong got confused and didn’t know what to do but to stare at the handkerchief. What is she saying with this action? Was he supposed to wipe the tears off with the handkerchief and not with his wet hand? Without a clue, he accepted the handkerchief and was about to wipe the remaining tears off her face when she beat him to it. She grabbed his hand midair and wiped the wet face of Jiyong. Knowing what the handkerchief’s purpose was, he awkwardly got the handkerchief from her hand and wiped himself.

“Um, thank you,” he mumbled and got out of the water. He gave the necklace to her and she held it close to her heart. He stared at her doing that. “You really do love him, don’t you?”

Dara turned to him but his back was already facing him. She creased her forehead as if thinking if she misheard him.

“He’s very lucky to have you,” he whispered but she still heard that.

“What-“ she said but got cut off when she heard a few running footsteps.

“Oh, here you are,” Chaerin said and looked Jiyong from head to toe. “Why are you wet?” Jiyong didn’t answer so she continued. “We’re going home, Dara. Say your farewells now to your family.”

 

After the heartwarming exchange of farewells between Dara and her mom and Minzy and the rest of her family, they rode a bus home. Jaejoong and one of her aunts, Auntie Hyesun, volunteered to go home with them and watch over Dara while her mom is working in the province.

Dara was sitting with Seunghyun.  Behind them were Jaejoong and Auntie Hyesun. On the next column were Jiyong and Taeyang and behind them were Chaerin and Bom.

Everyone was tired so they were sleeping except for Jaejoong, Auntie Hyesun, and Jiyong.

Jiyong was staring at his side where Seunghyun and Dara were sitting. Dara was sleeping soundly with her head leaning comfortably on Seunghyun’s shoulder. Jiyong kept on staring at them, contemplating. He doesn’t know what to feel but right now, he has this aching feeling as if something was just snatched away from him and he wanted it back. He wondered if it was Dara. However, Dara was never his. But, he’s confused right now. His actions for the past few days were weird which started officially back when Dara was tutoring him, or so he thought. He used to be at ease every time she teaches him some of their lessons; he seemed to be comfortable when she opened up with her. It was his first time feeling so happy when he first played under the rain especially that she was with her. It was his first time feeling panicked when he saw her almost bumped by a car, as if something very important will be lost from him if ever that happens. He was confused on what to feel when that rapper guy finally appeared before her which made her very attached to him again. Now, he started to feel that she’s distant to him. He feels his side empty all the time, unlike when they had tutorials. He feels he doesn’t have a reason to smile, not having the inspiration to do so. Unlike before when her mere presence by his side makes his day, now it’s otherwise. When Seunghyun appeared, he always has this aching feeling inside. He wanted her for himself, not realizing such fact until the rapper guy came. He keeps on telling himself that he’s snatching her away from him. But in the first place, is she even his? Now that he thinks about it, if he wants her to be his, isn’t he the one snatching her away from him? Obviously, she looks even happier being with that rapper guy than being with him. If he’s going to fight for her, is he snatching him away from him? Or will he sacrifice his own happiness to see her smiling brightly because he’s beside her now? The second choice is more likely to happen. He wants to see her happy. It has been evident that he doesn’t want to see her in pain. It pains him more. Even if it hurts him to see her smiling and sharing that laughter with someone else, it’s alright, he keeps on telling himself. Anyway, it’s her happiness we are talking about.