The Scarecrow

Over The Rainbow

'Oh dear...' Jonghyun didn't like the way Kibum said that and he stopped walking, looking around him. They were standing at a fork in the road, a corn field on one side and more trees on the other. 'What is it? Are we lost?' Kibum sighed in frustration and said, 'We shouldn't be! I swore this road, lead to the pumpkin patches which, would give us an easy road to the Emerald City! Glindas map lead us here.' Jonghyun looked around, trying to see if he could find a clear path. 

'CAW! CAW! Dance, straw boy, dance!' He could hear laughter, and the sound of someone crying. 'What is that?' He walked over to the corn fields and he pushed the tall plants aside, he saw a bunch of crows surrounding a poor scare crow and throwing things at him. 'Leave me alone! Leave me alone!' The poor thing was crying but it just made the crows laugh even more. No one would get bullied around Jonghyun, so he climbed over the fence and yelled at the crows: 'HEY! Back off!' He grabbed an old corn piece on the ground and tossed it at them, making them scatter about. 'Go away!' 

The birds, flew away, cawing in anger and then once they were gone, Jonghyun approached the poor scarecrow. 'Hey it's ok. They're gone now.' He patted the poor lad on the shoulder and he slowly lifted his head, moving his untidy black hair out of his eyes. He was cute, full pink lips, bright eyes and a button nose. 'Thank you. That was very nice of you.' He helped the poor creature to his feet and then Kibum appeared, looking very angry at Jonghyun. 'Can you not disappear like that?!' 

'I was right here. I was helping out this poor chap.' The scarecrow smiled at Kibum who just rolled his eyes, 'Very well done. You rescued the straw man so now can we get going? We need to get to the Emerald City!' The scarecrow chirped up, and said, 'Emerald City?! Oh can I come please? I've always wanted to meet the Wizard, I was going to ask him to grant me a wish!' Kibum snorted and Jonghyun ignored him, turning back to the scarecrow. 'What is your wish?' 

'Well, as you can see I'm...well made of straw.' He reached into his shirt, pulling out a chunk of straw and then stuffed it back in. 'And what? You want to ask to me human?' The boy blushed and said, 'Oh I don't know about that. What I was going to ask, was if he would give me a brain.' He tapped the side of his head and said sadly, 'I can't even scare the crows. They come here to eat my field no laugh at me.' He blinked a few times, tears in his bright eyes and Jonghyun said, 'You can come with us.' 

'What?! Jonghyun-' The older man cut Kibum off, much to his annoyance and the scarecrow looked overjoyed. 'Really?! I can?' Jonghyun nodded and said, 'We could always use some help, we are rather lost at the moment. You can help us find the way around. What's your name?' The scarecrow puffed out his chest, looking really proud of himself and said, 'Taemin. I am very glad to join you and your pet. What are your names?' 

Kibum whirled around, 'PET?! Alright, look straw boy!' Jonghyun held him back and said, 'Onward, we go. I'm Jonghyun and this Kibum. Excuse him. We haven't really eaten in a few hours.' Taemin chirped up, and said, 'Oh! I can show you a place to get food! This way!' He took Jonghyuns hand, making Kibum narrow his eyes at them both, as they walked down past the corn fields, towards some trees. 'Here! I don't eat, but these apples I've been told are the best in Oz!' He pointed at them, the huge red apples looking really good in the sunlight. 

'Well, what are we waiting for?' Jonghyun walked over to them but behind him Taemin went, 'Oh no stop!' It was too late, Jonghyun picked an apple, and the tree-yes the tree, moved and grabbed the apple back and smacked Jonghyun on the back of his hand. 'HOW DARE YOU?!' Jonghyun stood there, both offended and shocked while the tree shouted at him, 'What do you think you're doing?!' 

'We...we had been walking a long while, I was just hungry. And you were the one that smacked me!' He turned back, and walked away rubbing his hand Kibum giggling and Taemin shaking his head. 'I told you not to! That's not how you get an apple.' The scarecrow walked towards the tree and spoke to it, 'I'm terribly sorry. My friend didn't know better, he is terribly hungry. Do you mind awfully if we take some of your apples?' The tree was silent and then handed Taemin two apples saying, 'Very well. But tell him next time, I will not be so kind.' 

Taemin came back, handed Jonghyun and Kibum an apple and said, 'Not so bad for a straw boy eh?'