Confession

First and Forever Love

Kim Dong-hyub found him in the studio.  He was with that girl again.  Han Tae-sun was on the piano and the girl had her guitar.  Clearly they were practicing some songs together.  Making corrections to sheets of music.  Kim Dong-hyub gathered all his courage.  This time knocked before entering.

Both of them looked up.  Han Tae-sun looked extremely surprised.  Girl just smiled and said hey.  “Do you want to borrow him again?  He has been annoying me”.  Han Tae-sun looked at her stupefied.  ‘What is wrong with this girl?  She knows I really don’t like getting interrupted’.  He stared at her with a question on his face and arms gesturing ‘What the hell?’.  She shrugged, smiled and said “I was getting tired anyway.  I will catch up with you later”.  Without giving him any chance to protest she was just off with her guitar and bag. 

Kim Dong-hyub moved aside to let her pass.  She grinned at him and said bye.  Kim Dong-hyub was surprised too.  This was a girl he could get fond of very easily.  Easy going and bubbly. 

Han Tae-sun finally cleared his throat.  “What’s up?”. 

Well, he was not rude at least.  It is a good start.  Kim Dong-hyub closed the door. 

Han Tae-sun nodded at him and continued.  “I wanted to thank you for not spreading the news about me.  Thank you”.    That completely baffled Kim Dong-hyub.  ‘Did he really think I would share that with others?’    He actually felt a little hurt.

“I am slightly surprised you would think I would share that.” Kim Dong-hyub said.

“I have had experience” Han Tae-sun replied.  “So, what’s up?  I am still not doing your movie”

Kim Dong-hyub cleared his throat.  Suddenly feeling unsure about all this and his decision.  But he had decided to he needed to get this off his chest and this is a good time as any. 

“I want to talk to you about something.  I need your advice.  It is personal.  Is there a place we can go that is private?”

Han Tae-sun was taken aback by that.  Why would he want my advice?  “If it is about the music for the movie, I really do not want to get involved”

“I think I just said it is personal” Kim Dong-hyub responded back with irritation and impatience.  It is already difficult and this guy was making it really hard.

Han Tae-sun was very unsure where this was going.  ‘He is good looking.  He did not out me.  I might as well find out what this is about.  It can’t hurt.  If nothing, I can fantasize about him later’ He shook his fist at his own dirty thoughts.  He almost smiled and then remembered who was in front of him.

“We can talk here if you want.  I have this room for the next hour.  It is unlikely someone will come in” Han Tae-sun said.

Kim Dong-hyub was not so sure if this was a good place.  He had already barged in twice.  Someone else can too.  He reminded Han Tae-sun about that fact.  Han Tae-sun was getting very curious now.  He told him, Kim Dong-hyub had been the only one who had done barged in that way.  “Only teachers sometimes come in.  But when a room is booked everyone in the department knows not to disturb.  Did you see the DO NOT DISTURB SIGN outside?  It is there for a reason”

Han Tae-sun was trying to lighten the mood but Kim Dong-hyub looked flustered to notice he was teasing him.  ‘This looks serious.  What on earth does he have in his mind that he wants a stranger’s advice?’  Han Tae-sun was getting a little concerned.

“Listen, just go ahead and talk.  I will keep an eye on the door”

“How did you know you were gay?” Kim Dong-hyub just blurted out. 

“What?”  That out of the blue question made Han Tae-sun very angry very quickly.  They did not know each other and this was what he wanted to talk about?

But Kim Dong-hyub cut him off.  “I am going to say something here and I am hoping for an adult reaction.”  He took a deep breath.  Han Tae-sun was looking at him with a very annoyed expression.  He needed to be quick.  “I think I am attracted to you and I am confused about that”

There, he said it. 

“What?  Is this a joke?” Han Tae-sun was not having an adult reaction.  All his bad experiences washed over him.  He remembered how guys used to say that to him while having a group of friends close by and sniggering at his reaction.  Those were the worst times.  Especially when his once “friends” did it.  He quickly walked to the door, opened it and looked outside.  There was no one there.  Just regular traffic.  Students hurrying towards something.  He closed the door and this time locked it.  Students were not allowed to lock doors but this was not a conversation anyone should be walking into.

Kim Dong-hyub’s heart dropped.  This was not going the way he planned.  He thought Han Tae-sun will be shocked but he did not expect this negative reaction.  ‘What Is he going to do?  Beat him up?’

“This is not a joke and I thought you may react differently considering you are gay” 

‘Might as well just say whatever comes to my head.’  Kim Dong-hyub thought.  He had already taken the leap.  It’s too late to back down.  Might as well get it all out.

Han Tae-sun was flabbergasted beyond believe.  This was the last thing he expected to hear.  He looked at Kim Dong-hyub’s face, trying to read what may be going on in his head.  He definitely looked extremely uncomfortable and vulnerable.  Yes, he looked vulnerable.  Suddenly, Han Tae-sun realized Kim Dong-hyub may be really serious about this.  If he was, then, this was an important moment for him.   But Han Tae-sun needed to protect himself as well.

Han Tae-sun took a deep breath.  Hoping he was wrong but he wanted to check one last thing.  “Where is your phone?”

Kim Dong-hyub now was confused.  I am sharing something so sensitive to me and he is asking about my phone?  “It’s in my pocket.  Why?”

Han Tae-sun said patiently.  “I have gone through enough experiences of bullying in my life and I don’t want to fall for any tricks.  Are you recording this so that you can play it to your friends later?  I want to confirm”.

Han Tae-sun felt like asking that but he had to be careful.  He had gone through too many things since he had outed himself to his friends and family.  His so called friends had spread the news in their common circles and he went through a very difficult time in his life when every day felt like he was living in hell.  He was helpless at that time and that had taught him lessons and how to protect himself. 

Kim Dong-hyub suddenly understood why Han Tae-sun was behaving like this.  He could almost see what he might have gone through.  It made his heart ache.  But it also allowed him to calm himself down. 

“Do you think we can sit?  And No, I am not recording this conversation.  If you want to check, here is my phone”.  He took out the phone but Han Tae-sun waved him away.  Kim Dong-hyub’s reaction was not the one of a bully. 

“Let’s sit”.  Han Tae-sun waved towards the chairs. 

Both of them took some calming breaths.  Han Tae-sun finally started processing what Kim Dong-hyub had told him.  Kim Dong-hyub is attracted to me and he does not understand why.  ‘hmmm.  I am glad he digs me.  But I think right now he needs to figure out stuff.’ 

“Don’t you have a girl friend?   I think I saw you on a double date”

“I wanted to see you and that was the only way at that time.  I did not know the girl.  Colin found dates for us.”  Kim Dong-hyub said honestly. 

Han Tae-sun blushed before he could control his own reaction.  Kim Dong-hyub was being too honest here.  “Have you ever had any feelings for any guys before?”

“No.  That is why this is annoying.  I don’t think I am gay but I am not sure anymore”

Han Tae-sun was having difficulty in being objective.  He was not exactly sure how to handle this situation.  How does one handle something like this? 

“You must have had girl friends in the past”

“I had a two year relationship with a girl.  It did not end well”

“What happened?” Han Tae-sun was curious only because he had to understand what Kim Dong-hyub's background was. 

Kim Dong-hyub shrugged.  “I am not sure.  It was just not working out.  There was just no passion in the end.  It just fizzled out.  I think she broke up with me.  I did not protest.”

“What exactly do you want to ask me?” Han Tae-sun asked.

“How did you know you were gay and when did you know?”

Han Tae-sun was never comfortable talking about this.  It was too personal and he did not know the guy. 

“I don’t really know you enough to share all this to be honest.  But I will tell you one thing.  It might help. I think you are very good looking and I am attracted to you too.” Han Tae-sun did not know if that helped at all but if he was in this situation, confessing his attraction to someone, it would make it easier not to be rejected outright. 

Kim Dong-hyub felt very uncomfortable with that confession.  He was not sure exactly how to feel.  He felt a little excited but mostly anxious. 

Then, “Do you want to kiss me?” Han Tae-sun asked.

“What?”  Kim Dong-hyub was suddenly very nervous.  But he could not deny he was curious about that.  “I don’t know” he admitted honestly. 

Han Tae-sun looked at the door.  They were sitting next to each other, hands in their pockets the whole time.  Han Tae-sun decided there was only one way to find out for sure.  He moved his chair closer, looked in his eyes, then closed his own eyes and pressed his lips against Kim Dong-hyub and then went back to his original position.

Han Tae-sun did not show he enjoyed that touch and would have loved to do more.  This was not the time to push. Kim Dong-hyub should know how he felt with just that.  If he was not gay, he would push him and run. 

“How did that feel?”

Kim Dong-hyub was trying to process this.  That had felt so good.  Those lips were very soft and it felt natural.  Suddenly, he wanted to feel more.  He did not think too much.  He moved his chair closer, bent his head and kissed Han Tae-sun.  He then put his hands on Han Tae-sun ‘s face and applied pressure, opened his mouth and the lower lip.  Han Tae-sun did not need a lot of encouragement.  He opened his mouth and let Kim Dong-hyub tongue in.  And then he put his tongue in Kim Dong-hyub’s mouth and Kim Dong-hyub was out of his chair pulling Han Tae-sun out of his.  He was now deep into the kiss and this was his first kiss with a guy and it just felt so good that he forgot where he was and groaned.  He wanted to get closer.  He put one of his hands on Han Tae-sun’s back and pulled him closer.  That woke up Han Tae-sun from his own trance and he was the first to realize they were in a studio at the school.  He pulled his lips away from Kim Dong-hyub and whispered in his ears to stop.  “This is not the place” 

Kim Dong-hyub shuddered on Han Tae-sun and Han Tae-sun wrapped him in up in a tight hug trying to calm himself down and getting Kim Dong-hyub to calm down.  He smiled to himself as he said “Breathe” to Kim Dong-hyub. 

It looked like Kim Dong-hyub was gay. 

……