Meeting the parents II

First and Forever Love

“Tae-sun, I will have to talk about you to my parents so that they understand better.  I don’t want you to say no to this” Kim Dong-Hyub told Han Tae-sun one day when they were having dinner together at home.

It could not get worse than this’ Han Tae-sun thought.

He nodded.

…..

Kim Dong-Hyub visited parents after a long time.  They did not treat him any differently. 

That day, when he sat down with his father for a drink together and mom just sat reading, he told them about Han Tae-sun’s life.  He did not get into specific details.  Simply gave the highlights so that they understood his personality. 

After listening to Kim Dong-Hyub, his mom understood what had happened at that uncomfortable dinner they had shared.  She still could not fully grasp that her son was gay, despite how much time had passed.  But, when she forced herself to think of it as a normal relationship, she knew Kim Dong-Hyub loved Han Tae-sun.  Theirs was a very strong bond.  It did not look like anything would come between them.  One of these days, instead of feeling sad for Kim Dong-Hyub, she would start feeling happy.

Today, she still felt sad. 

His dad said “Get him here one day”.  Mom looked at him with complete surprise.

“I will one day.”  Kim Dong-Hyub was very grateful to his dad.

……

“Have you tried reaching out to your parents at all?” Kim Dong-Hyub asked.

“You know I call them sometimes.  They are not comfortable conversations for me”

“What do you feel about them?”

“I don’t feel anything” Han Tae-sun said.

“Right” Kim Dong-Hyub said.  He knew Han Tae-sun felt plenty.  Someone who did not feel anything did not have uncomfortable conversations with his parents. 

One of these days, I am going to see if he can salvage anything there’ Kim Dong-Hyub vowed.  It was all part of Han Tae-sun’s healing process.  But something that had taken deep roots for the last 14 years was not going to change so easily.  ‘I am going to keep digging’

…..

It had taken some time.  Kim Dong-Hyub had to go thru many conversations with Han Tae-sun for him to finally agree to visit Kim Dong-Hyub’s parents together. 

“You have to own your own life.  If you continue to feel uncomfortable about your life, then you make others uncomfortable too”  Kim Dong-Hyub had told him.

Han Tae-sun thought a lot about it.  He simply did not want to get judged. 

“Remember they are uncomfortable too.  Can you make it a little easy for them, for me?” Kim Dong-Hyub had asked another time.

After 3 months of that, Han Tae-sun finally decided to face his fears. 

I have really gotten over that phase of my life.  It’s time for me to grow up’  Han Tae-sun  thought.

As they reached Kim Dong-Hyub’s parents place, Kim Dong-Hyub’s mom treated him like her son’s friend.  That was the only way she was going to feel comfortable.

Sometime, when Han Tae-sun found her alone, he went to her and apologized for his behavior when they had met for dinner. 

“I also want to thank you for letting me visit here” He bowed to her.

“Don’t worry about it son”.  She felt very emotional suddenly.  “Come here” she said and gave him a tight hug.  “Now go, I am busy” shooing him away.

Dad was his gruff self but Han Tae-sun felt comfortable around him.  Kim Dong-Hyub had told him how his dad had made it so much easier.  Han Tae-sun thanked him as well as they all shared a rare, expensive wine bottle.  Mom had decided to join the party today.  She also drank a glass. 

Kim Dong-Hyub felt happiness.  He was grateful for his parents.  He was grateful for Han Tae-sun.  It felt perfect. 

Kim Dong-Hyub had already told his mom to put them in separate rooms.  He was sensitive not to rub anything on their faces. 

Mom had felt relieved to hear that.

Han Tae-sun just felt belonged.

……

When they reached back to their apartment, Kim Dong-Hyub thanked Han Tae-sun in a way Han Tae-sun liked to be thanked.  Sometimes gently and sometimes aggressively, showing who the boss is in bed.  Han Tae-sun always groaned louder when Kim Dong-Hyub was the boss.  Han Tae-sun’s groans made Kim Dong-Hyub feel all the more bossy.

….