Chapter 35: The Beginning of the End Part 4: Jimin’s Ultimate Betrayal

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoseok had known from the moment he woke up to the end of the day that something was off. For one thing, Taehyung wasn’t even in their room. His sheets were mussed up as if he had gotten out of them in a hurry and ran off. One of the covers was on the floor by their bunk, indicating that this very well might have happened. Even by the end of the day, he never figured out why that was, but part of it was because he was consumed with finding out something else. Mainly the second issue he had at hand, which started from this morning.

 

 

He saw Jimin in bed fully covered, and dead asleep even after his alarm rang. Hoseok wasn’t the lightest of sleepers, but if an alarm rang for a long period of time, he was bound to notice it. So Jimin’s alarm had woken him-someone from across the room- but not the person right next to it? On inspecting the lump under the covers, Hoseok could see that Jimin was in fact knocked out. What gave him cause for concern, was that Jimin hadn’t even been up late last night. In fact, the younger had gone to bed early after buying the lot of them dinner. Their second day of learning the choreography from Sungdeuk had gone just as well as the first, the only difference being that instead of heading to the studio with the other rappers like two days ago, Jimin had asked if they could all go home and have dinner together. The group had agreed and Jimin had gone with Yoongi to go buy food from the restaurant down the street. All was still well when they’d come back- with loads of japchae and tteokbokki to spare -and the group had enjoyed a nice meal together. Jimin had been animated and playful during dinner, even landing a couple smacks on Yoongi when he’d made a joke about him. It was only after dinner that things started deteriorating.

 

Seokjin had offered to put a movie in, and instead of joining them, Jimin had declined. He’d claimed that staying up the night before had made him exhausted, and after eating he was ready for a full food coma. The members didn’t argue- in part because he did all of the sudden look tired -and Jimin had gone to sleep just like that. Hoseok hadn’t pushed it because he'd thought Jimin was being honest. Perhaps the day before yesterday’s had really taken a toll on him. Not to mention the ten-hour practices were brutal. But it was morning- late morning actually, they should have been up and dressed long before this -and Jimin still hadn’t risen?

 

 

Hoseok awoke him, and it was as if the boy jumped from his own skin the way his eyes popped and his body jerked. If he hadn’t been lying under his covers deathly still, Hoseok would have thought he’d woken from a nightmare. The boy had stared at him with unfocused eyes for quite some time, but he eventually came back down from where-ever his mind was. After being told just how late he was getting up- Hoseok had already dressed and eaten since he’d gotten up right when Jimin’s alarm went off, thinking that Jimin was already up and simply forgot to turn it off -Jimin lept from his bed. He’d been the last one to dress, eat, and pack for the studio. By then, the other members had noticed his squirrelly behavior. When compared to yesterday’s and the day before, it was completely opposite. Jimin had only smiled, claiming exhaustion as his reason.

 

But if that was the case, it still didn’t explain his behavior at practice today. It wasn’t that he messed up any moves or couldn’t focus. It was just a little...lackluster. It was like the brightness from before had just been zapped out and what was left was a carcass of some kind. It was strange indeed, but it wasn’t impacting his abilities. He still danced and taught well. So everyone assumed it was because of some hormonal funk. He was a teenager, and it happens after all. Nobody was perfect, one couldn’t be their bright shining self 24/7. Everyone had their days, and that was what the members assumed it was for Jimin. Taehyung had asked one time if something was wrong, but Jimin had assured him that it was just exhaustion. So, this prompted people to let it go. By the end of the rehearsal, Seokjin had suggested to everyone else that maybe it should be a day to treat Jimin, since he’d spent so much time and energy lately taking care of them.

 

That plan fell through shortly after practice ended. It was a half hour till midnight, and they’d just spent nearly twelve hours practicing in the studio. Seokjin was just about to suggest they go get ice cream together when Jimin beat him to the punch. He’d told them he was going to stay in the dance studio and keep practicing alone, claiming that he wasn’t feeling well about his performance earlier and wanted that alone time to improve. He was met with protests of course, why would you want to practice even more when you just spent the last twelve hours doing so? Especially considering that Jimin didn’t really need it, he’d executed the moves perfectly.

 

 

Jimin responded to this saying that he just needed that alone time to sort his thoughts. This was the third thing that tipped Hoseok off. At that point, he’d voiced that he would stay with Jimin while the others headed home. He could stand to work on his basics a little bit, and if he was being honest the extra practice was needed. Yeah, he’d spent those same twelve hours as Jimin practicing his off, but it would be an extra hour or two at most. Unfortunately, Jimin responded to this with even more assurance that he wanted to practice alone. After working in another smile and promise to be home before 3 am again, the other members had agreed. After telling said plans to Hongmin and Hobum, the later manager agreed to keep his phone on so Jimin could call him when he was ready to be picked up.

 

At this point, Hoseok was worried. He felt that fear nagging at him again, and Hobum’s words of worry came back full force. Was this going to be the night then? Was Joohyung coming for Jimin and that’s why he wanted to stay by himself? It explained the behavior, that was for sure. But Hoseok didn’t push it. If Joohyung was really going to act, Hobum would know. He still had his friend Sejin watching the roommate closely. So Hoseok decided that for now, Jimin was safe. He couldn’t have been more wrong.

 

It was around 1:30 am when the call came. Hoseok was on his phone playing a game. He couldn’t seem to fall asleep, his unrest keeping him up. He kept staring back at Jimin’s empty bed wondering when the younger would come home. He’d texted Jimin five times asking when he would be done, but all he got back for a response was a shoulder shrug emoji, and that had been a half hour ago. Hoseok looked up to Taehyung’s sleeping frame. He was back in his own bed thankfully. Hoseok was still curious where he had gone in the morning, but decided not to question him about it. Taehyung would no doubt admit it during his sleep-talking later on. Hoseok was about to put his phone on the floor and try to get some sleep when it started to ring. He inwardly cursed and snatched the phone up to stop the ringing. He didn’t want it to wake up Taehyung. Before actually speaking, Hoseok gently stood up and tiptoed out of their room and into the living room. When he sat down on the floor in front of the couch, he whispered out a tentative ‘hello’. He hadn’t even bothered to check the caller ID, so sure that it was Jimin needing help. Instead, he was met with Hobum’s unusually low voice.

 

“Hoseok, something’s happened.” Hobum said. He could head car honks in the background. Why was he driving around?

 

“What do you mean?” Hoseok asked. He was afraid of the answer though. Hobum cleared his throat harshly, but Hoseok didn’t know why.

 

“My friend, the man I had looking after Joohyung, you remember him?” Hobum asked. Hoseok nodded but remembered that they were on the phone.

 

“Yes, what about him? Did he see Joohyung do something?” Hoseok heard Hobum laugh dryly. That was not a good sign.

 

“Not just that Hoseok-ah. Not just that. He called me just a few minutes ago from an emergency clinic. He said Joohyung left his apartment around 12 and met up with a group of men outside...” Hoseok curled his fingers into the couch.

 

“A-a clinic? Why is he at a clinic? And outside...outside where Hobum?” Hobum cleared his throat again. This made him even more nervous somehow. Hobum was too apathetic to get uncomfortable.

 

“The dorm Hoseok...Joohyung was outside your dorm.” Hoseok gasped, covering his mouth in shock. That information sent a dropping sensation to his gut, as if his stomach had fallen right out of him.

 

“What?! Was he waiting for Jimin?” Hoseok was afraid of that answer as well.

 

“More than likely, Sejin said that after talking or ‘briefing’ was the word he used, they went inside. He followed them in and was shocked to see that everyone in that waiting area of the lobby, the one of the left side, when you walk in? Yeah everyone in there cleared out immediately. Just imagine ten or fifteen trainees bolting as soon as Joohyung stepped in.” Hobum added. Hoseok felt his heart quicken.

 

“Oh good. That’s reassuring. Again, why was Sejin calling from a clinic?” Hoseok snarled.

 

“Uh-uh, I’m not even finished yet. He picked a spot outside in the lobby, somewhere he could still see them but not make it obvious he was spying. Sejin said Joohyung waited there, texting someone for a half hour before getting up and walking out. Just like that, there and then gone. He tailed them for a while, but instead of walking down the road towards the restaurants, he started walking back. Sejin thought it was odd, but tailed him anyway. What could possibly happen right? Well then they started moving faster, so fast he had to run to keep them in sight. But when he did catch up...Hoseok-ah they were waiting for him. They jumped him right there in that alley by the Yongsan district. Jumped him and beat him up, saying Joohyung didn’t like being followed. They said he hated cheaters the most and if Jimin had anything to do with this, he’d leave a nasty present when he came to collect. Sejin barely escaped them and high-tailed it to the nearest physician to mend his wounds.” Hoseok felt his blood stop. His whole body was motionless listening to Hobum’s strained words.

 

“What does he mean, Sejin-nim, by collect?” Hoseok asked after a long string of silence.

 

“Hoseok-ah...” Hobum whispered. Hoseok detected a rustling sound in the background, like leaves brushing against each other, or a muffled brush across the receiver. Hoseok felt his brows knit in confusion.

 

“Yea...Hobum-nim?” Hoseok murmured. He heard more of that static in the background before Hobum spoke again.

 

“Hoseok-ah...where is Jimin?” Hobum sounded as if he hadn’t used his voice in days, it was so hoarse. Hoseok heard more of the static, and only then realized what it was. Was Hobum crying?

 

“Why do you want to know?” Hoseok asked, fear present in his voice. He heard Hobum release a whithered exhale, and then silence.

 

“Hoseok-ah, tell me where Jimin is.” Hobum demanded. He was serious.

 

“Why? What’s going on? What’s wrong with Jimin?” Hoseok cried. Oh God please don’t let it be, please please anything but this. Hoseok heard his manager curse and mumble to himself.

 

“God why would he...? What is this?!! What is this... why did he...?!! Hoseok-ah!” Hoseok jumped from the way his name was called.

 

“Yea Hobum-nim!” He responded.

 

“Find Jimin-ah. Something terrible has happened. It’s not just Joohyung, it’s Jimin too now. Sejin told me this ten minutes ago, but Jimin’s thing came an hour before. Jimin, he’s lost his mind. I don’t know who else has seen this but you need to find him and get him to explain himself as soon as possible. His position in this band is dependent upon it.” Hoseok’s worry turned to frustration.

 

“What has Jimin done!?! Why won’t you tell me anything?” He shouted. Hobum sighed heavily.

 

“Hoseok-ah. Jimin sent me a text telling me to check my email, when I did I found six different files. I didn’t even get past the first two. I read the contents and what I found...it’s grounds for immediate termination of Jimin’s contract. God help him if PD-nim or someone else got this too...” Hoseok’s throat strained to work, he felt like he couldn’t swallow the very air he breathed.

 

“What in all that is good was in the ing e-mail Hobum!” Hoseok shouted. He was beyond exasperated, he was hysterical. What had Jimin done?

 

“If this is all correct, Jimin just admitted to and gave proof that Joohyung and he had been scamming us for over six months to blackmail and prevent Bangtan Boys from debuting.” Hoseok’s heart stopped. He thought he misheard.

 

“I’m sorry Hobum-nim. I think I misunderstood...Jimin did what?” He asked. Hobum’s dejected sob came through.

 

“I saw Joohyung myself, you even said that you witnessed him harassing Jimin. So why would he not only side with the guy, but make us think he was a mastermind behind it? Why would Jimin do that? Doesn’t he realize that he’ll be kicked out of Bangtan Sonyeondan?” Hobum growled in frustration. It wasn’t making sense. Everything Jimin had done for him, for the other members, all the struggles and fights he had to endure to get this far, why would he throw it all away? Jimin was the sweetest, most kind person he’d met. He wasn’t capable of something as horrible as this. Could it have really been a lie? This entire time he’d just been playing everyone into th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter