Chapter 4: Big Decisions

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin watched from outside the doorway of Taehyung’s dorm room. He hadn’t spoken a word to him in over two weeks. Not. One. Word. It was hard to watch the person who had been your best friend just a few weeks ago drift away. Jimin reached out to him in his heart, but he was drowned out by the negativity in his head.

 

    “You are nothing compared to him. The best thing you could do for him is let him leave you behind.” Jimin whispered to himself. Before Taehyung could see him, he turned and ran off. This was one of the hardest things he had ever done. He was letting go of his one and only friend in this whole damn place and he couldn’t even put on a brave face any more. Jimin ran as fast as his legs would take him. It was only a few minutes but it felt like forever before he got a safe distance away from the dorm room. Breathing heavily, Jimin placed his hand against the wall opposite him. He needed to get a grip. He couldn’t avoid him for forever. This was beyond ridiculous. Pushing himself up, Jimin came face to face with a bulletin board. If you just had a quick glance, then you wouldn’t have noticed anything out of the ordinary. However, Jimin didn’t take a quick glance. Something pink caught his eye, and when he read the paper, his heart exploded. He stared wide-eyed at the line-up sheet, yes the line-up sheet for Bangtan Boys, a group which had originally been announced to be a group of underground rappers was now being turned into a hip-hop boy group. Four names were on the sheet. The four names Jimin had already been well-acquainted with. They were expected to be famous in no time, no, it was the two open lines at the bottom of the sheet that had Jimin awestruck. With the date on the sheet being recent, that meant this was the newest line-up for the group.

 

    “Oh my God…” Jimin whispered. His eyes flashed when he caught a green paper next to the line-up sheet. It was an audition sign-up sheet in the company. An official audition for those two very spots in Bangtan Boys, and no one had signed up yet. Now granted, it was really early in the morning so no one was probably up yet, and they may have just put up this audition sheet. Jimin had just been lucky to stumble upon it first. This hallway was generally not the most traveled since it was more in the business section of the building. However, once this got around, this area would be swamped with trainees trying to sign up. Jimin hadn’t realized he had dialed a number on his phone until he heard the ringing in his ear. Before he could hang up-a voice picked up on the other end.

 

    “Hello?” The gravelly voice said. Jimin gulped. He had dialed Taehyung without even an ounce of hesitation. They may be fighting right now-if that’s what most would call it-but Jimin couldn’t just not tell his friend about this opportunity.

 

    “Come down to the business hallway on the second floor now.” Without leaving any room for argument or complaint, Jimin hung up. It was too late to go back now. He had already told him to come. The question stood now as if he would actually show up.

 

    “What did you want.” Taehyung called from behind him. Jimin nearly jumped out of his skin. He hadn’t had any proper time to mentally prepare himself.

 

    “How did you get here so fast?” Jimin asked frantically. Taehyung looked at him like he was from another species.

 

  “I was right around the corner. If you don’t have anything important to say to me-perhaps two words that are a bit overdue-then I need to get going. Things to do, people to see. You understand?” Jimin didn’t understand, but he didn’t call him for nothing. Taking a deep breath, Jimin pointed to the flyer on the bulletin board.

 

“It’s an audition sign-up sheet. I wanted you to be the first to know…” Jimin trailed off. Taehyung pushed him aside to read the pink paper. His eyes squinted over, but his blank expression morphed into disbelief, then elation. Without thinking, Taehyung grabbed onto Jimin’s arm and started jumping up and down while laughing hysterically.

 

“Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Jimin, oh my God. We’re the first people to find this and we can choose any time we want on the sheet, holy Jimin!!!!” Taehyung's wide rectangle smile had gone so missed by Jimin that he couldn’t stop the man-eating grin from stretching across his face. He held onto his friend’s hand and joined in his excitement. They spent a solid minute just jumping up and down and laughing out of happiness. When their minds had caught up with their actions, they both looked at their interlocked hands and awkwardly let each other go.

 

“Well...thank you Jimin,” Taehyung muttered. Jimin nodded bashfully.

 

“It’s no problem...uhm, Taehyung?” Jimin asked hesitantly.

 

“Na?” Taehyung nodded. Jimin bit his lip.

 

“...uh, nevermind. Bye.” Jimin started to turn away but Taehyung caught him.

 

“No Jimin! Are we really not friends anymore?” Jimin didn’t respond.

 

“Ugh! Jimin, just tell me what I did wrong. I can’t fix it and apologize if I don’t even know what I did wrong.” Jimin slowly turned around. He shouldn’t be doing this. It was better the other way. Taehyung was protected. No one would insult him again if Jimin just stayed away. But Taehyung’s face looked too pained for Jimin to pretend like he didn’t care. Still looking at the floor, Jimin tried to voice out his emotions.

 

“It’s not you Tae, it’s me. I mean look at us. We shouldn’t be friends, we’re on two different ends of the spectrum. I’m just bringing you down and holding you back from your true potential. You should just leave and forget about me because-” A hard slap knocked the words right out of his mouth. Jimin clutched his red and aching cheek in disbelief. Taehyung was panting and red, fury in his eyes.

 

“That’s the reason you’ve been avoiding me? That’s why you wouldn’t talk to me for weeks? You jerk!” Taehyung tried to hit him upside the head, but Jimin blocked the punches. He too stared at his friend in befuddlement and frustration.

 

“Why the hell are you getting mad?!! I’m doing what’s best for you and you’re calling me a jerk? What the hell is your problem?” Taehyung’s angry cries only became louder.

 

“Bastard! Damn bastard! You had me worried sick over nothing! Absolutely ing nothing! If you’re so damn embarrassed by our friendship, then at least have some balls to admit it! You’re a goddamn coward to be embarrassed to be seen with me!” Jimin did a double take and pushed back at Taehyung.

 

“What? I’m not embarrassed to be seen with you! You should be embarrassed to be seen with me.” Jimin shouted back. Taehyung growled and grabbed him by the arm.

 

“Fine. Then prove it! Be my friend and never do this nonsense crap again. Come on, I need someone to get coffee with at the cafe!”

 

“Fine! I will!” Jimin said. Taehyung sniffed harshly and wrote both their names down on an afternoon time slot. Then, he dragged Jimin along with him down the hall. Breathing heavily, it took Jimin a solid minute to grasp what had just happened. He blinked in confusion then turned his questioning gaze to the back of his companion.

 

“Did we just make up?” Jimin asked. Taehyung turned his face to him. He wore a contemplating expression on his face before smiling his signature smile.

 

“Yeah...I think we did.” Jimin mirrored the same brightness Taehyung had and walked with his pace.

 

“I missed hanging out with you so much. Being alone was horrible! I realized I had literally no other friends beside you.”

 

“If anything I missed you more. Everyone was so suffocating, but I had no one to complain to because you weren’t talking to me. In this episode of ours, I realized that the only person I was really close to was you. Seriously, don’t do this again because I really will kill someone in this stupid place.” Jimin laughed at Taehyung’s ranting. He was glad to have their old relationship back, but one thing still made him nervous.

 

“Taehyung?” Jimin asked.

 

“Hm?” Taehyung grunted.

 

“Are you sure you still want to be seen with me? I mean, Jeongguk said we were nothing alike and if it makes you-” Taehyung stopped and held a finger up in front of his face.

 

“Are you saying the reason that you stopped talking to me was because of something Jungkook said?” Jimin stopped walking and bit his lip.

 

“W-well…” Jimin stuttered. Taehyung huffed and his heels.

 

“I’m gonna kill him. That little !” Taehyung kicked the wall in frustration. Jimin hurried after him.

 

“What? Why? No, Taehyung, if this is another one of your-”

 

“Shut up! That jackass has given me enough as it is. I hate him and I’ll be damned if I let him screw up your self-esteem.”

 

“B-but Taehyung, where are you going? The practice rooms are that way.” Jimin pointed to the opposite direction they were walking.

 

“We’re not going to find him in there now are we? He’s always in the music studio rooms in the morning.” Jimin panicked and yanked him back. Taehyung fell to the floor and stared at his friend in frustration.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Taehyung glared.

 

“What the hell are you doing!!??” Jimin glared right back at him.

 

“I’m going to find Jeongguk and tell him to shove his opinions up his a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter