Chapter 11: A Past That Haunts

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So what do you think!” Namjoon cheered triumphantly, gesturing to the dorm room with barely concealed pride. He'd taken an especially long time cleaning it the night before, going out of his way to even buy dusting spray. He didn’t even know such a thing existed until Seokjin casually mentioned it the day before. He'd been running through a list of things they would need to do to prepare the rooms. Namjoon had taken out thirty minutes of his time to dust all of the surfaces in the dorm. Not Yoongi, who spent more time laying on the couch catching dust on his body. Not Hoseok who had ran around in a mad dash sweeping the carpet, mopping the floor tiles, and picking up things off the floor. Not Seokjin who had taken disinfectant to just every surface known to man in the dorm, scrubbed every spot to a perfect shine, and ensured that every item not already put away in it’s proper place was tucked away from sight. No, Namjoon, who had spent the day washing, drying, folding their laundry, and putting them away into their proper places, who had reorganized all of the cabinets so that everything inside looked to be in some sort of order or arrangement, who had taken every single sheet off of the members beds, replaced them with new ones, only to take them off and put the old ones back on again, had done it.

 

To say he had been nervous would be an understatement. He wanted to make the best impression on them. He had heard plenty warnings from the managers to attest to that. But even more so, it had to do with his own admiration for the three of them. So young, yet they had caught the attention of the most powerful people in the company. They didn’t even realize it, but many of the heads were keeping an eye on the three of them. They were planning on sending one of them to America for a year, and this trial period would be the biggest determiner for that. Namjoon was both impressed with their humility, and their earnestness to be a part of the group. Namjoon was honestly excited to welcome them to their new dorm, now he just needed to make sure he didn’t break anything.

 

“It’s so clean? Aren't you guys?” Jeongguk mused, rounding behind the couch to sit in it.

 

“Yes, but even we can pretend to look nice when it counts. You’ve only been here for a minute, you don’t get to sass us yet.” Yoongi came round the couch as well, but before sitting and relaxing into the couch next to him, he smacked the back of Jungkook’s head. Jungkook yelped and glared at him. Jungkook clicked his tongue at him, rolling his eyes in annoyance. Taehyung moved from the doorway to the kitchen area, marveling at the tiny size of the space.

 

“I know.” Seokjin said.

 

“It’s barely able to hold two people, but it works.” Taehyung grinned and made his way with his things to the bedrooms. Jimin followed behind Hoseok timidly as he was led to the bedrooms. They stopped at the second to last door on the left, and Hoseok made an open gesture to the bedroom.

 

“This is your new home! All the newbies get to stay in here while the old guys camp out in the room next door.” Hoseok smirked and pulled an awestruck Jimin into the room. Jimin’s suitcases slipped from his fingers and made a loud thump on the floor. The room was enveloped in a soft baby blue light that shined through the blinds of the windows, with pale cream walls coloring the background. There were three beds set up in the room, one laid against one wall, the other two stacked up on top of each other next to another wall. There were some night stands, a few dressers, a book shelf, and three small trash cans. Somehow, in all of it’s simplicity, everything seemed warm and inviting. He hadn’t walked into a room and felt accepted until he had stepped into that room, no, his room. Jimin strolled across the room, running his fingertips over the different surfaces, from the walls, to the bed frame, to the dresser drawers, to the window glass. Hoseok leaned against the doorframe and watched him through adoring eyes. Somehow Jimin looked absolutely breathtaking in that moment, like he was discovering something beautiful in that room and it was all just for his own simplistic pleasure. Hoseok wondered what kinds of things were running through that boy’s head that made him smile so brightly.

 

“Wow! It’s so small, and here I thought we’d each get our own room.” Taehyung shouted, pushing past Hoseok into the room and immediately claiming the top bunk of the bed on the right side of the room. He set his things down on the mattress and sat down, letting his feet swing over the edge.

 

“I think it’s perfect…” Jimin murmured, moving to the bottom bed of the bunk and setting his own suitcase down on the floor. He looked around the room in barely concealed awe. Hoseok, from his position, found it hard not to smile brightly at the kid’s adorable expressions. He seemed entirely too excited to be in such a generic room. It was too tempting to .

 

“What? Never been in a dorm room before?” Jimin looked up at him startled. He blinked his eyes slowly before responding.

 

“Never had one that I didn’t have to pay for myself.” Jimin drawled while running his fingers up and down the bed frame. Hoseok felt his heart beat a little faster, a pang hitting him somewhere deep in his chest. He hadn’t been expecting that. He hadn’t been expecting that at all and felt like an immense jerk for even making the joke. He was about to apologize when Jimin looked at him and smiled earnestly.

 

“I’m glad though that I get to now.” Jimin stood up and started to make his bed with the sheets he brought in his bag. Hoseok smiled in relief and went to join him.

 

“Here, let me help. These bunk beds can be tricky because of the wall.” Jimin nodded and let him take the far side of the bed while he stationed himself at the other end. Hoseok held up his side and slipped the bed cover over the mattress. Jimin mimicked him and did the same with the next cover. He straightened out his edge so that part of it sat below the bottom of the bed.

 

“I’ll sleep on that end.” Jimin said. Hoseok quirked an eye ball.

 

“Really? That other end’s closer to the heater. It gets awfully cold at night, are you sure you want to lay so close to the window?” Jimin smiled at him and nodded.

 

“I like to sleep facing the door.” He said as he moved on to the next sheet. Hoseok quirked an eyebrow and tilted his head so that he could look up at Jimin from across the bed. Jimin noticed two hands dipping into the sheets at the end and saw Hoseok’s forearms come into his line of sight. Then he caught Hoseok’s curious stare as he looked up at his through his lashes. Jimin heard a whoosh in his ear, wondering if the window had suddenly opened and was blowing a cold chill over Jimin’s body. He rubbed his arms self-consciously.

 

“Why?” Hoseok asked. He watched as some strange expression came over Jimin’s features and his cute little eyes squished nearly shut. Just as soon as the moment came, it passed and Jimin returned to smiling warmly. He went on as if Hoseok hadn’t spoken and went to pull clothing out of his bag. Hoseok made to ask again, but an arm pressed down on his shoulders, stopping him. He looked up and found Taehyung giving him a serious look. Serious was an unfamiliar expression to see for Hoseok, and from all people to be from Taehyung? Hoseok filed away the odd behavior of the two into the recesses of his mind for later analyzation. He still needed to help them unpack.

 

“Usually we split each other’s space for clothing into top and bottom halves of the drawers. You don’t half to do it that way, but it makes things easier.” Hoseok suggested. Jimin and Taehyung nodded, both moving to pick their half of the dresser. Hoseok clapped his hands on their back and smiled, earning confused and bothered looks from the two.

 

“Welcome to the dorms kiddies! You’re officially here.” Taehyung rolled his eyes and shrugged off his arms.

 

“You’re too heavy to be doing that.” Hoseok laughed and draped his arms around Jimin’s neck, making kissy faces at him.

 

“Fine Mr. Grumpy-pants. I’ll share my love with Jiminnie. Mwa mwa mwa!” Jimin yelled and tried to push his hyung off him.

 

“Get off of me! Stop it! Gross gross, why are you like this?” Jimin squirmed in his arms and tried to wiggle his way out. Hoseok laughed and held on tighter, starting to tickled him under the arms with one still wrapped around his neck. Taehyung smirked before jumping on Hoseok’s back and trying to tickle him. The three fell to the ground in a heap and an all out war started. Taehyung wrestled Hoseok, who in turn went on the defense and grabbed a pillow off of his bed to smack him. This resulted in Jimin running and grabbing his own pillow and smacking Hoseok upside the head. Hoseok responded by tackling Jimin and throwing him over his shoulder. Taehyung jumped up and grabbed his arm to throw him of balance. Instead, Hoseok grabbed Taehyung around the waist and let him hang there. The two smaller ones struggled in his arms until he was thrown off balance and tumbled to the floor. The three lay there exhausted and sweaty before bursting into laughter. Taehyung rolled on his side till his arm extended and smacked Hoseok in the stomach.

 

“You’re an .” He huffed. Hoseok chucked and rolled over so that he was sitting on top of him.

 

“What was that brat? Say that again?” Taehyung groaned and thrashed under him, calling out to JImin for help. Jimin shook his head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter