Chapter 17: Promises

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin excused himself to the restroom, but instead of going in, he walked right past it. He knelt down behind the door of Namjoon’s room and pressed his ear to the wood. Jeongguk had just passed through it a couple minutes before him. Jimin wondered what the maknae could be talking about with the leader. This had been the second time Jimin noticed them engaging in a private conversation. And if Namjoon’s reaction when Seokjin inquired about it had been any indication, the two wanted to keep it that way. As much as it pained him, he might not have to make up a secret for Jeongguk afterall. Jimin inwardly sighed as he placed his ear towards the bottom of the door. He looked really suspicious. He hoped that no one caught him doing this. His lying was getting better-cringe-but not enough for something so obvious as this. Jimin just barely heard the low murmurs being exchanged, but he could make out who was who from the different intonations.

“...talk with the manager...today?” Jimin recognized this as Namjoon. Which means the response back would be Jeongguk.

“...Something...that.” Jimin could just barely make out Jeongguk’s voice. He should tell him later to learn to enunciate. He spoke entirely too low for anyone’s liking.

“What...result?” Damn, Namjoon needs to speak up too. Jimin won’t be getting anything at this rate. He pressed his ear against the wood of the door and cupped his ear. This made things a bit clearer.

“He said...push it back...few months.” Push it back? Push what back? Jimin thought.

“So you...up to him?” Jimin internally huffed. Namjoon couldn’t stand to just be a hair bit louder could he? Jimin’s very life might depend on what they’re saying.

“I didn’t up.” Ah, finally! Jimin thought. Jeongguk decided to speak up. Jimin could practically picture the glare he was sending to Namjoon, while Namjoon glared right back.

“ *sigh*, Jeongguk, can’t you give me something? I have no idea what’s wrong, and I can’t fix it if you don’t tell me. Why are you so against going to LA?” Time stopped. Jimin froze. He could hear the pounding of his heart in his ears. Did he just say LA? Jimin thought.

“I just don’t see the point in sending only one member. Why can’t they send one of you? Why does it have to be me?” Jeongguk responded, annoyance clear in his voice.

“I don’t know either Jeongguk. I wish management would give me the ins and outs behind everything they decide, but they don’t. I don’t get paid well enough for that. What I do get paid to do is make music, rap, and mediate between the members and management. And my job would be infinitely easier if I had cooperation.”

“It’s not my fault! I didn’t ask for this!”

“Nobody did!” They were speaking louder than before now. Jimin didn’t have to strain to hear them. He could have heard them just standing in the hall. There was silence. Jimin wondered if that was it, that was the end of the conversation. But then...

“He said he would try. Not that I wouldn’t be going. What’s so wrong with that?”

“I know. I’m sorry it feels like we’re throwing this at you Jeongguk. The experience is meant to help you. You’re not socializing with any of the other members besides Taehyung and Jimin. You barely speak more than one word at a time to any of the higher ups. People thought you were mute for your first two years of training. They want you to get better, be better. That’s why it has to be you. They want you to adjust. Think of it like a one year field trip. Come back better than before and everything will work itself out.”

“But I can try. Just give me a chance, I’ll talk to the others, I’ll speak up more, I’ll-”

“I already tried that. They’re convinced. And the more you resist, the surer they are that one year isn’t enough. You want to stay in LA for two, even three years? Push back the debut even more?” There was an awkward silence. Jimin imagined Jeongguk’s sullen expression.

“That’s what I thought. Don’t be a burden Jeongguk. A lot of people are betting on you right now. They’ll replace you without hesitation if they can’t guarantee your success. I see a lot of potential in you, and I’d hate to watch it be wasted because of a little hesitation.” Jimin sensed the impending end of their discussion. Now would be his time to leave. He gently pushed himself up and walked back down the hall. His face was blank, but his mind was racing. Jeongguk was leaving. For Los Angeles. In America. For a year. Gone, a whole freaking year. When were they planning on telling the group this? Whose decision had this been? Bang Sihyuk’s? One of the managers? The donor’s?  Jimin walked blindly past Yoongi and slumped down next to Taehyung on the couch. He didn’t even notice the shift because he was completely engrossed in whatever he was playing on the TV. Seokjin-from his position at the counter-glanced at Jimin with concern.

“Jimin-ah? Are you okay?” Jimin didn’t verbally respond, but he did nod, acknowledging that he had heard his hyung. Hoseok looked up from his phone and saw the distant look on Jimin’s face. His thoughts immediately went to that of his rotten ex roommate. Was that guy bothering him again? Hoseok made a mental note to look into that later. Manager Hobum-nim seemed trustworthy enough to do some snooping on his behalf. He didn’t want to alert anyone, most importantly Jimin. Hoseok was brought from his own musing by Seokjin’s voice.

“Hobie? Can you help me strain these noodles?” Hoseok blinked away his thoughts and nodded.

“Yeah, coming.” Just as he got up, Namjoon emerged from the hallway. He was alone. Curiosity sparked his interest.

“Where’s Jeongguk?” Hoseok asked. Namjoon gave him a pinched smile.

“He’s resting. A little worn out I guess. *Sniffs* whatever that is, it smells amazing.” Namjoon started to reach past Seokjin to pick up a piece of spiced radish, but was smacked away by the elder’s hand.

“And who the hell said you take some? Go sit down and don’t bother me.” Namjoon grunted and rolled his eyes.

“Guess someone’s still a little -hurt huh?” Hoseok said jokingly to Seokjin, looking at Namjoon with pity. Namjoon shrugged it off and sat down on the floor beside Yoongi. The elder was sleeping with his head tilted back, and his hands in his lap. He made sure not to disturb him. A Yoongi woken prematurely was synonymous with death, and Namjoon would like to at least reach B-list celebrity level before he’s killed. Namjoon stared at the TV program for a moment, then turned to Taehyung with mild dissatisfaction.

“Anime. Really.” Namjoon said. Taehyung responded with a piercing glare. Were it not for the ridiculous reason, Namjoon might have been scared. Of course, it’s hard to be scared of a person glaring at him over an anime episode. Namjoon stared at the cartoon character interacting with the kid in the show. He didn’t really get why people got so caught up in such things. The voices were borderline obnoxious, and the situations the characters found themselves in were seemingly pointless. It was random and useless. If it was his choice, they’d be watching something with some more substance, like crime dramas, or coming of age movies. In fact, why doesn’t he...

“Who wants to watch a movie?” Namjoon called. Taehyung whipped his head around to stare him.

“Now? In the middle of Doraemon?” Namjoon sighed.

“Doraemon is on 24/7. Yes now. If I have to watch your face glaze over for another minute I’m going to go insane. There has to be something to watch. Don’t we have movies in the other room?” Seokjin pursed his lips and knit his brows. Coughing, he interjected into the conversation.

“Need I remind you that those movies you speak of are in fact, mine. Don’t you think you should ask permission first?” Namjoon turned around to smile weakly at Seokjin.

“May we please watch one of your movies hyung?” Namjoon poked his dimple out just to add extra effects. The trick worked like a charm, and just like that, Seokjin caved. Sighing, he set down his wok and walked into his shared bedroom with Yoongi. He went over to his bed and leaned down to reach under the frame. There with his mario figurines, were his favorite collection of movies. His parents spoiled him rotten by buying him stacks upon stacks as a child. Back home, he has way more than the measly 40 with him in the dorm, but he had to limit himself. So, he picked only his favorites. A few childhood classics, some funny rom-com’s, action and fighting ones, a few american ones, and his private collection of dramas that the other members don’t know about are the ones he absolutely had to have. Seokjin thought for a moment, then grabbed a DVD and skipped back to the kitchen. Seokjin pushed Hoseok out of the way and ushered him into the room, ignoring his protests and shoving the case into his hand.

“B-b-bu-” Hoseok said. Seokjin shook his head.

“Go. Help them set it up. If Rapmon does it, he’ll break it.” Hoseok couldn’t disagree with that. He stepped over Yoongi’s lifeless body on the floor-also not keen on waking him up-and stood before the TV.

“DVD player’s on the left yeah?”  Hoseok asked out loud to no one in particular.

“No! No! No! Doraemon is-” Taehyung shouted in protest. He jumped up and went to grab Hoseok, but the elder held him back with his hand and pushed him to the ground.

“Stop whining! It literally comes on every tuesday and thursday.” Hoseok said. Taehyung huffed and glared at the elder before turning to Jimin.

“Can you believe them? How unfair! We should have at least put it to a vote!” Taehyung was caught off guard by Jimin’s solemn look, completely unusual for his cheery self. Taehyung blinked, and started to ask him what’s wrong when Jimin strained to put a smile on.

“Yeah. That . I’m gonna go to the bathroom again.” Jimin jumped up before anyone could say anything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter