Chapter 19: What Weakens the Body, Weakens the Soul

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin was dragged backwards down the hall, into a secluded area in front of the ice machine. He struggled against the strong arms wrapped across his chest. He tried desperately to shake off Joohyung, but all his efforts were for not. Jimin was thrown, his side smashing into the side of the ice machine with a loud bang. He immediately curled into the fetal position, covering his head.

    “Get. Up.” Joohyung growled. Jimin trembled but complied, standing before Joohyung. They were silent except for Jimin’s ragged breathing and Joohyung’s angry snorting. Jimin examined Joohyung’s features. He noticed the glassy eyes, the slight sway to his frame, the sweaty skin and constant clenching and unclenching of his fists. Jimin’s eyes widened as realization hit him. His angry texts and tone from earlier, the demanding, the boiling temper underneath it all made sense. Gradually, disbelief, and then annoyance crept into Jimin’s mind.

“Joohyung,” Jimin sputtered, “Are...are you drunk?” Joohyung’s gaze swayed from the ice machine to Jimin’s face for a few seconds. The cogs in his head moved slowly, and the fog over his eyes slowly lifted. A whole ten seconds passed before Joohyung registered Jimin’s words, and another few before he responded.

“The ...No’m not...” Joohyung rasped. Joohyung stepped forward and gripped Jimin’s shirt in both hands, pulling him flush against him. Jimin recoiled from the disgusting huffs of his breath. It reeked of alcohol.

“Now where’s the ?”  Joohyung all but growled. Jimin’s heart rate increased, his nerves sparking all over the place. An angry Joohyung was one thing, but a drunk and angry Joohyung was a whole other ball game. He was unpredictable and scary. Jimin could attest to that. One of his last episodes nearly got Jimin killed.

Flashback

    “H-hyung? I d-don’t think you’re allowed to do this...” Jimin stuttered. Joohyung was separating out lines on the coffee table, two other friends of his flanking his side. They giggled in anticipation. Joohyung wore a wolfish grin when he’d gotten four hits ready-two for him, and one for the other two. Jimin cleared his throat, staring at the white powder with apprehension.

    “Hyung...I really don’t thi-” Jimin barely dunked in time before a beer bottle came hurling at his face. The bottle crashed against the wall and shattered, peppering Jimin-as well as several others-in shards of broken glass. Jimin whimpered in submission.

    “Are you my ing mother? I don’t give a what you think! Go be useful and get me another bottle of soju.” Jimin gulped and did as he was told, gingerly stepping over the shards sticking out of the carpet. If only the couch wasn’t so close to the wall, the bottle would have hit the floor instead. Then Jimin wouldn’t have yet another mess to clean up before classes in the morning. He shuffled his way through the cramped room. Bodies mingled within every inch of space. Jimin physically could not step here or there without brushing up against someone. The air was thick with sweat and some other heady scent. Jimin kept his gaze on the floor, muttering apologies every time he had to push someone out of the way-which was frequent.

Even though this wasn’t the first party Joohyung had thrown with Jimin as his personal clean-up crew, Jimin was still amazed that it was this popular. With the strict curfew rules and overseers patrolling the hallways, it was dumb luck that Joohyung never got caught. Although, maybe it wasn’t that he wasn’t getting caught, but that they simply knew to begin with and did nothing about it. Jimin had seen Joohyung use his ugly blackmailing before for his own benefit. These parties were probably the result of just that. The drugs were new though. So far, five months with him and five parties down, yet not a single time had Jimin seen the illegal substances. Today was the first, and Jimin didn’t like it one bit.

By the time he’d crossed the cramped living space to get to the kitchenette, he was panting. Jimin was sure a thick mist or something was covering the room. It was just so overwhelming. He smelled a disgusting smoke wafting from one of the bedrooms, no doubt another druggy lighting up. Jimin prayed that it wasn’t his room. Just leave his room alone, that was all he asked. He’d just gotten back from a late night practice with Taehyung not even a half hour ago, and the party was in full swing. Jimin looked at the clock and sighed. It wasn’t even two yet. His parties didn’t usually die down until four, when trainees had morning classes in four hours and needed some semblance of sleep-even if it was minimal. Jimin approached the buckets of iced liquor and pulled out one of many soju bottles. Then he sighed and began his journey back to the couch where Joohyung was. Fifteen feet of space and yet it took all of Jimin’s energy to cross. When he made it, the powder was gone and all three of them were lounging on top of each other is silent bliss. Jimin cleared his throat and held out the bottle as a peace offering.

“I-I have what you asked for.” Jimin stuttered. Joohyung swung his head to face Jimin. A bemused smile stretched across his face. It looked lecherous.

“Ahhh yes, the party favors. Good puppy, just how I trained ya.” Joohyung purred as he took the bottle from him. Before Jimin turned away, he placed a rough hand on his cheek and it. Jimn felt revulsion curl in his stomach. The other two laughed, mistaking Jimin anxious face for a blushing one.

“Oppa...hehehe...you’re turning him to mush...” The girl next to him whispered rather loudly. Jimin bit his lip just as Joohyung smacked his cheek degradingly.

“A good dog craves the touch of his master. That’s why when he’s not being an annoying little , he gets rewards. How else would you train a dog huh?” Jimin sneered and walked away, no longer interested in Joohyung’s gloating about Jimin’s submissive behavior.

“Either that or get the beat out of me.”  Jimin murmured to himself. Deciding that the intermingling background noise of the party-goers was mildly irritating, Jimin stormed back to his room for solace. He pulled his key out of his pocket and pressed it into the keyhole, when he heard questionable noises coming from within. Jimin stopped, and pressed his ear up to the door. He gasped as moans and grunts met his ears. Snarling, Jimin unlocked the door and swung it open, revealing a couple in the beginnings of love-making on his bed. Jimin clenched his jaw in fury. Not this room, this was the one place that Jimin specifically told Joohyung to not allow people into. This room was supposed to be off-limits! Who let them in here? Jimin stormed to the couple and grabbed the male by his shoulders and threw him to the ground.

“What the !” The man shouted. The girl screamed and covered her bare chest. Jimin gestured to the door.

“Out! Now!” The man scoffed, and stood up, glaring down his nose at Jimin.

“And who the hell gave you the authority to tell me what to do.” Jimin glared and jabbed his finger into the guy’s chest.

“You. Have three seconds. To get out. Of my room.” The girl gagged and put her shirt back on.

“Gross! This was your room? I thought it was Joohyung’s!” The man looked at her in confusion as his hand was grabbed.

“You know this prick?” She nodded her head and sneered.

“He’s that that’s been all over administrative’s lately. He practically attached himself to their favorite Jeongguk and he’s been hogging Taehyung to himself. Pathetic little brat.” Jimin boiled with anger, wanting to rip her face off. The man looked back at Jimin with disbelief before being pulled completely from the room.

“That’s the kid? No freaking way, he’s so ugly! I thought the guy was...” Jimin was out of earshot, and he didn’t care honestly. He wanted to be alone. Jimin stormed up to the door and slammed it shut. He proceeded to lock it and throw himself onto his bed. He rolled to his side and closed his eyes, waiting for the minutes and then hours to pass when the party would finally settle down. Through his waiting in the dark, he heard more boisterous laughter, several cringe-worthy crashes, some people getting sick somewhere in the dorm, and individual conversations combining into one chaotic mass of words. Just as Jimin predicted, around four in the morning people slowly started leaving. The dorm was engulfed in beautiful silence by five, and Jimin finally sighed in peace. Now, he could sleep...

Wham! Wham! Wham! Jimin was startled awake by a loud banging on his door. He jumped up and swung his head around in confusion. He was jolted by another set of bangs on his door. Jimin blinked at the door, then scratched his head and turned to his alarm clock. He groaned immediately and dragged a hand down his face. It hadn’t even been thirty minute since he started nodding off. What could the person possibly want? The party was over. Begrudgingly, Jimin pushed his tired body off the bed and stumbled over to the door. He didn’t bother opening his eyes to see the person, he just gave the indication that he really didn’t care for the person’s disruption.

“Whatever it is, I don’t care. Go away.” Jimin said. He started to close the door when a hand went up and grabbed the frame. Jimin started and flung open his eyes. He regretted opening the door. Joohyung was standing there with a blank look on his face. His stance was rigid and he reeked of alcohol. Jimin gulped.

“Can I come in?” Joohyung asked. Jimin blinked before nodding and letting him in. He sat down on Jimin’s bed and stared at the wall. Neither of them said anything to each other. Jimin was wary of his roommate's behavior, and Joohyung was lost in his own thoughts.

“What do you want hyung?” Jimin asked. His roommate didn’t respond for a while. Jimin began to think he would need to repeat himself, but just before he did, Joohyung turned his blank expression onto Jimin.

“Did you have fun?” he asked. Jimin was astonished. He had to take a moment to make sure he heard him right.

“Did...did you just ask if I had fun?” Jimin gawked at him. He still wore a blank expression, but his voice had been clear. He smelled drunk, didn’t look it, but the random question sure made it seem like it. Joohyung never asked how Jimin felt about anything he did.

“Yeah. At the party.” Joohyung  responded. Jimin shook his head slowly and his lip.

“Uh...not exactly.” Jimin answered. Joohyung cocked his head to the side and frowned.

“Why not?” He asked. He would have looked innocent were it not for his hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter