Chapter 24: Dance Practice Part 2

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jin, this is the sixteenth time. What do you still not get?” Sungdeuk asked. Seokjin was breathing heavily, hands holding onto his knees like a lifeline. Just as he expected, he was the only one working with Sungdeuk. The other members were on the other side, learning the refrain. The young ones were all heavily wrapped up in the dance leader's demonstration and Yoongi was busy being...well...Yoongi. Hoseok was in his element, showing the younger ones how to maneuver around the stool more easily. He was born for this kind of thing. Seokjin was amazed Sungdeuk hadn't ripped his hair out by now. Poor Seokjin, who just couldn’t seem to grasp the timing right for the first chorus moves, was stuck with Sungdeuk. And their amazing choreographer only grew more baffled by the minute. Normally he had Namjoon to trudge along with him and share in his misery, but not today. No, Namjoon was off having a nice little chat with manager Hongmin about only God knows what. Bastard.

 

    “I just can’t count that’s all. Simple really.” Seokjin answered in a serene voice. He accepted his lack of musicality long ago.

 

    “You’re a singer. You have to have some kind of semblance of rhythm Jin.” Sungdeuk played the first chorus music again.

 

    “Take it from the top. Just get the claps together alright? Five, six, seven...and one! Rest, rest, four and five! Come on come on, faster Jin! It’s not even to the second rap and you’re already off! Stop. Just stop. Okay, *breathes* let’s just try this. I just want you to count okay. Count with snaps.” Seokjin blew out the hair sticking to his forehead. He knew this would happen. This always happened. Again, how Sungdeuk hadn’t given up and thrown him to Hoseok was amazing. He had more patience than a pregnant woman in labor.

 

    “Ahhh this is crazy.” Seokjin said, as he was also failing to even keep time while snapping.

 

    “Are you inept? I almost want to cry.” Yoongi calls from across the room. He was laying on the floor and stretching his legs, which is what he does usually when they have dance practice. How he got away with that and still performed the choreography better than his elder, Seokjin was left to guess. But he spent plenty of their time together resenting him for it. Seokjin turned his fiery glare onto the younger. There was a challenge in his eyes.

 

    “I’m still the elder. And I will not hesitate to come over there and remind you brat.” Despite Seokjin's vehement threat, Yoongi merely laughed and turned back to the others. Seokjin’s threats were only ever that, threats. He wouldn’t do so much as hit him across the shoulder. He’d gotten worse from PD Bang Sihyuk. The only person capable of making threats was Yoongi himself, since he enjoyed torturing the younger ones for amusement. Namjoon was very compliant when given the right ‘encouragement’, and Hoseok liked to think he was special, but he wasn’t. The brats were scared of him, so it was always fun screwing with them, but Jimin especially. He leaned up to look at them. Taehyung, Jeongguk, and Jimin were sitting on the chairs, actually paying attention to Hoseok’s instruction. It was something Yoongi should have been doing, but let’s be honest, it’s Yoongi.

    

    Even with his dismissive attitude and lounging position, Yoongi was still actively paying attention. It may have seemed like he wasn’t, but he was. He could easily learn the dance moves and master them given a short time frame. He was just efficient like that. That’s why he could afford to laze about at random. When it came time for him to work, he would, and he would get it done to everyone’s satisfaction level, be it music or dance. That’s why he wasn’t stuck doing and redoing to same thing over and over again like Seokjin or Namjoon. The managers actually trusted him to get it right at some point in their eight hour session.

 

Even though it should have been given how much he wasn't paying attention, he wasn’t the one distracted. It was the maknae who was lost completely, and for a very bad reason. One he would much rather not admit. It wasn’t his fault. He was just a teenager. A hormonal teenager with random urges that meant absolutely nothing. These are perfectly normal feelings, Jeongguk thought to himself. Any young man would be distracted by sweaty biceps, panting chests, wet lips, matted hair, and clenching calf muscles. Even if they were of another man’s body. No, nothing at all was wrong with Jeongguk. He was as normal as could be.

 

    “Five, six, sev- ugh, Jungkook-ah!” Taehyung shouted. That was the eighth time he stepped on Taehyung’s foot when rounding the stool, uncharacteristic for the golden maknae-as he’d recently been dubbed. Jeongguk was always perfect. Not a pitch was wrong at recording sessions. Not a foot was out of step at dance rehearsals. Not a single expression was out of line. So why was today the day to be so bad? At Taehyung’s outburst, Jeongguk didn’t respond, didn’t even hear him, just stared at his hyung’s chest for a solid fifteen seconds without blinking. Noticing this, Taehyung became concerned.

 

    “Jungkook? Hello? What are you looking at? Is there something on my shirt?” Taehyung looked down. He didn’t see anything other than his own sweat stain and plain blue t-shirt. What had Jeongguk so mesmerized? Unbeknownst to the two, they now had the attention of Hoseok-who was very annoyed at being interrupted-and Jimin-who was annoyed for reasons completely unrelated. They didn’t know Jimin was hanging by on a thread. They would soon enough.

 

    “Yah! Jungkook!” Hoseok called, going up to smack him on the shoulder. He jolted as if from a dream. In truth...he was, and one that involved images of a Taehyung with a lot less clothes and a lot more... He was getting carried away. Seeing everyone look at him and remembering the things that were recently running through his mind brought a fierce blush to his cheeks. These are definitely not normal feelings.

 

“Jungkook, you there?” Hoseok asked. Jeongguk bit his lip and looked to the floor. Taehyung caught on and a smirk crossed his face. The blush said it all now.

 

    “Whatcha staring at kookie? See somethin ya like?” Jeongguk looked up instantly. If his face was pink before, it was red now. Taehyung’s smirk only grew.

 

    “N-no. I wasn’t-” Jeongguk tried. Oh he tried, but his hyung was not letting anything go.

 

    “Awww kookies got a crush! I know, I’m handsome aren’t I?” Taehyung struck a pose, running his hands up the front of his shirt. Oh no, Jeongguk thought, oh no, oh no, oh no. If Taehyung’s purpose was to tease Jeongguk, he succeeded. He was thoroughly teased by the small rim of skin running across the waistband of Taehyung’s shorts.

 

    “Can you stop being an idiot for five minutes so we can get this dance done with already?” Jimin snarled. Jeongguk could have kissed him were it not for the angry look on his face. Anything to take the heat off of him. Taehyung was taken back by Jimin’s tone. What the hell was his problem?

 

    “Jimin-ah, are you-”

 

    “Jimin’s right. The dance needs work, especially when Rap Monster get’s back from talking with the manager. We’ll be at a standstill then.” Hoseok said. It was no joking matter. Namjoon held them back just as much as Seokjin did, but he was faster at learning than Seokjin. Not fast enough to be paired with the rest of them to begin with-Sungdeuk had to break him in a little bit first-but fast enough to not be stuck there the entire session. And then there was bump-on-a-log Yoongi who couldn’t even be bothered to do anything until three hours into the rehearsal, but that was a different story altogether. He would learn it eventually, just not right this second. Besides, his focus was Jimin...and Jimin was not happy. Not happy since they left the dorms, and for what reason? Hoseok hadn’t a single idea. He was the last one out of the dorm and the last into the van. From the former he left with a smile, and the latter he entered with a scowl on his face.

 

His angry mood was lost on Hoseok but he noted the strangely familiar frustrated tone in Jimin’s voice. A series of events was about to repeat itself if Jimin’s slipping feet and slowing movements were any indication. He was frustrated, but not about his moves. Something else was bothering him. Hoseok would find out later, but right now the best thing to do would be to diffuse the situation before it became worse.

 

“Alright, it’s one, four-and-one, two, rest-and-four. Legs-and-arms, down, up! Got it? Alright go.” Hoseok played the refrain and watched. Jeongguk was a bit better but his moves weren’t as sharp as they needed to be. Taehyung was doing surprisingly well but he was pouting. Jimin-as he expected-was doing well up until the arm part. He was supposed to stick them down but he stuck them up, and a half a beat too early. His arms clashed with Taehyung and both responded by growling at each other.

 

“Jesus Jimin! Are you trying to break my arm?” Taehyung said. Jimin narrowed his eyes.

 

“Screw you Tae.” Jimin muttered, absolutely seething. Yoongi narrowed his eyes.

 

“What did you say? You wanna repeat that Jimin-ah?” Yoongi started to stand, ready to go into hyung mode. Yes, history was repeating itself, and in a very bad way. Hoseok stepped forward and stuck a hand on the elder’s chest.

 

“Suga...” Hoseok warned. Jimin look exasperated, realizing too late how disrespectful he was being. It seemed he too took notice of the similarity of his current situation to a previous one they all knew too well and wouldn’t care to repeat. Before Jimin had a chance to respond and beg for some semblance of forgiveness, Manager Hobum came back and called for Yoongi. He was like an angel in disguise and Jimin couldn’t have been happier to see him.

 

“Suga, come here.” Hobum said. He was met with painful silence as Yoongi fixed a solid glare on Jimin before leaving. He was disappointed to say the least. The brat had really been warming up to him, and he was starting to enjoy it. If he knew what was good for him, he would watch his words. He didn’t need another ‘incident’, and not when Yoongi’s opinion of him had finally started improving. Namjoon came back and went to pat Taehyung on the back, completely unaware of the tense situation.

 

“So what did I miss?” He asked casually. Taehyung and Jimin exchanged stony glares before turning away from each other to get back into position. Namjoon gave Hoseok a questioning look. Did he miss something? Hoseok only sighed and rubbed his forehead. He gave Namjoon a dismissive wrist flick before going back to the stereo and rewinding the song.

 

“From the beginning then. Just watch them for now Rapmon. I need

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter