Chapter 31: A Date Gone Wrong Part 4: Namjoon’s Redemption

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My love is greater than the sea and the sky but it’s falling just to catch up to you. You can’t break this bond, we belong together so be with me.” Hoseok finished with a funky little pop back into the second part of the refrain. When he’d finished his piece, he’d grinned like mad and skipped out of the room. Supreme Boi and Pdogg shook their heads, snickering to themselves as they went to pat Hoseok on the back.

 

“You are aware of how terrible that was right?” Pdogg asked. Hoseok’s answering smirk was all he needed.

 

“Just like your mixtape you didn’t release huh?” Supreme joked. Pdogg as a way of a response took his shoe off and threw it at him.

 

“Would I be smiling if it was good?” Hoseok interrupted. He earned a howl from Bang PD in the back and bemused smiles from the rest of s. He gave Jimin a grin and thumbs up when he passed him. Jimin felt a blush creep over his cheeks and tentatively returned the gesture with thumbs of his own.

 

“Personally I think he’d be smiling regardless of whether it was good or bad. But for the record that was terrible.” PD-nim said. Hoseok shrugged his shoulders in an ‘oh well’ sort of gesture. Compared to Namjoon and Yoongi, who might as well be musical and lyrical geniuses, nothing of his would have compared. As if sensing the thoughts in his head, Taehyung grabbed Hoseok on the arm and whispered into his ear.

 

“I think hyung’s melody was the best by far. They don’t know anything.” Hoseok chuckled and patted him on the arm, leaning in to whisper his own response. Jimin caught them laughing and smiling together out of the corner of his eyes and felt his heart sting a little. Shaking off the unnecessary emotions, Jimin turned back to the recording booth.

 

“Alright, who’s our next victim hm? Yoongi-ah, he’s done. Namjoon’s done. Hoseok we just did, Taehyung’s gone already. So that just leaves the rest of vocal line. Let’s get the maknae in here. Jeongguk you’re up!” Supreme finished.

 

Jeongguk rolled his eyes, knowing they would pick him. He just hated how Supreme liked to announce it as if they were at some sports meet and each person was taking their turn to go. Even though they said this was a competition, he didn’t see what the real benefit for them was. Make them feel inadequate because they haven’t been practicing enough? Berate them for their lack of creativity? Remind them that they were small fry compared to someone as legendary as Shinhwa? Jeongguk and all the members included already knew all of this. In fact, the producers had spent more time cracking jokes and throwing insults at each other than they have at the group members themselves. This seems more like a play date for them. They don’t seem concerned at all with giving them constructive criticism and pointers to fix. And here Jeongguk had probably a month left until he was supposedly leaving for a year, pushing back their time to practice together even more. He wished at least someone took this session as seriously as he did, because moments like these weren’t going to happen for a while. And it didn’t seem like any of the people that knew really cared.

 

Jeongguk sighed after his depressive internal monologue and placed the headphones over his ears. Giving the thumbs up, he waited for the familiar chime to ring and Hyesung’s voice singing ‘rescue me’ to come through. He waited to just before the second verse to start until he opened his mouth. Then, instead of Junjin’s voice blasting through the speakers, Jeongguk’s powerful voice belted over playing with his own melody. The words had been what he came up with first. He already knew what he wanted to say. The trick had been coming up with a beat to match it. He kept the same drum beat as the original part, just tweaked the other stuff with it. The thing with adding another verse to the song isn’t that it’s hard to do. In fact, it’s relatively simple if you keep certain parts similar. The hardest part is just writing lyrics that fit. And since he’d gotten that don’t first, everything came easier.

 

When he’d finished his piece and the refrain played after, he took his headphones out and huffed. Now that that was over, he could finally relax. He didn’t care one way or another what part he got. He’d be just as inclined to sing two lines of the song as he would sing his own made up lyrics. In all honesty, he just wanted to go home and hide away in his room for a while. He still felt bad about ignoring Taehyung, but those damned thoughts of his just wouldn’t go away. And he was running out of time. He was literally blowing away his chance to be with the elder till he had to leave. Why couldn’t he just get his head on straight so he could enjoy the next month peacefully? Jeongguk exited the recording booth just as the producers started to slow clap.

 

“Well damn Jeongguk! I’d have to say that was pretty impressive for only a half hour. I wonder what you’d do with a whole day’s worth of time.” Pdogg said, nodding his head. Jeongguk merely stared at him and didn’t respond. After a beat, he muttered a ‘thank you’ and retook his seat next to Jimin and Seokjin. Pdogg frowned and his teeth.

 

“Not the brightest one in the bunch but it will have to do. Alright, that leaves you two. I feel bad for having to follow that, but if you had your work cut out for you, maybe you can impress us even more.” Supreme pointedly looked at Jimin and Seokjin, knowing the two were the worst at composing. That made whatever confidence either of the two had, fade to nothing. They were taking chances with what they created and neither knew for sure if it was the right decision. Gulping, Jimin waited for who would go next, Seokjin or him?

 

“Maybe make them do rock, paper, scissors instead. It’ll make it more intense don’t you think?” Bang PD-nim suggested. Seokjin wanted to curse him right then and there, that snake.

 

“Oh you are one cruel man aren’t you? Well, you heard him. Have at it!” Supreme responded, grinning like a hyena. Jimin and Seokjin turned to each other, not saying a word, just exchanging nervous glances. As if they decided it mentally, both threw their hands out and yelled the Korean chant.

 

“Kai! Bai! Bo!” Looking down, they saw the results and paled. Or at least, Seokjin did, he lost after all. Jimin nodded his head sharply to say ‘good luck’ and returned back to his place. He was glad not to have to go next anymore, but his stomach gurgled all the same for his hyung to go. And after the stunt he pulled, it would either ruin him or help him.

~Flashback~

“Switch me.” Jimin said, determination in his eyes. Seokjin’s brow rose in utter disbelief.

 

“What?...” Jimin nodded his head firmly.

 

“Switch your lyrics with mine.” Jimin repeated.

 

“But what about your song?” Seokjin asked, hesitation in his voice. Jimin waved it off.

 

“Don’t worry, I can easily make yours work. Just, humor me hyung and sing it.” Seokjin slowly nodded his head. They had only a few minutes left so why not? Seokjin cleared his throat and began to sing. Seokjin played the notes of his melody on the piano along with his voice to reinforce the sound. Without even noticing it, his voice took on a swing beat and the words sort of settled in.

 

“Take me with you in your heart, Take my everything, I am yours, you are mine, and together we are. You can forget the past or rewrite the present, but I will always be your one and only future.” After Seokjin finished, he felt his chest compress with something close to...hope. Jimin mirrored his starstruck look with a different expression, exhilaration.

~End Flashback~

 

The music started from the end of the second rap, Eric’s low voice echoing the words they all knew very well. This would lead into the bridge portion of the song, what made the song so lovable. There was something about the words and the melody that just brought out people’s inner emotions. It was painful but powerful at the same time. Why Seokjin had decided to pick this spot to interrupt, Supreme was at a loss to know. It would be very difficult to add something in before or after that section without making it feel choppy or awkward. He should have told them to stay away from that part, but it was too late now. Before the bridge started, the music switched, and instead of the melody that they were familiar with, a new one played. It was similar in sound to the bridge, but there was almost a swing type feel to it. A three-beat pulse that moved the song forward and Seokjin’s voice almost blended perfectly into it. His words didn’t stick out either, fit almost too well with the new melody. When Minwoo’s voice took over, Supreme ended the song and sat back in minor astonishment. None of them had been expecting that from Seokjin. Turning behind him, he gave Pdogg a one-eyed grin.

 

“Holy .” PD-nim laughed.

 

“Where the hell did that come from Kim Seokjin?” Supreme yelled into the microphone. Seokjin blushed and rubbed the back of his head.

 

“Inspiration and collaboration?” He offered. The producers shook their heads and laughed.

 

“Alright, now I really feel bad for making poor Jimin follow that. I hope you got something just as good.” Pdogg said, looking Jimin right in the eyes. Some would say he’s smiling, but Jimin knew from experience that this look was one of wickedness. Gulping, Jimin stood and passed Seokjin in the doorway to the recording booth. Jimin smiled lightly, mouthing a ‘good job’ to Seokjin. The elder returned the gesture with a ‘fighting’ hand sign. Jimin exhaled as he took his seat and placed his poorly drawn sheet music in front of him. When he’d composed himself, he gave a thumbs up. This time, the music started at the beginning of the bridge and played through Minwoo’s part. Jimin didn’t sing until it was just before the end of his line. Instead of the final words of his line ‘let’s start again’ the music changed, and everyone was thrown off guard. Supreme had been in the middle of nodding his head when he literally was thrown off. His head visibly jerked up and he stared in confusion at Jimin. The music had changed from the normal version to a softer, more bare melody. It was as if half the instruments dropped out and all that was left were drumbeats. The music continued like that for a few measures, nothing but what remained of the past melody and everyone stared at Jimin through the screen. They waited for something, anything to happen. Here they had been led to the of the song, only for it to literally drop out and an interlude to play? Three hard pops were heard before an eighth note beat led to a change in the interlude. Only then did Jimin sing.

 

“I am worthy. I belong by your side. I can be the perfect man. Just give me your hand, and we can begin. This is our time. Let’s start again.” Just like the verse before, the music slowly added in again, and it grew in strength as it approached the end. Just as before, the music played like it would if it was playing normally, and the line that Minwoo was famous for left Jimin’s mouth in a powerful bellow. Jimin’s neck strained to rain down the falsetto that followed as the next line of the song played. When he heard the music cut, he exhaled heavily, letting all the nerves release from his body. He didn’t hear any tell-tale signs of a reaction. He didn’t hear Supreme’s voice or Pdogg’s beratement. He didn’t even hear any complaints. It was strange. Anxiously, Jimin compiled his sheets and left the room. When he entered again on the other side, he was met with open mouth stares. Panic set in instantly. No one said anything, but thoughts were racing through Jimin’s head. The only person who didn’t look shocked was Seokjin, but he was waiting with bated breath just like Jimin to see the other’s reactions. The idea for the new melody was Jimin’s, but the sound and execution of it was written by Seokjin. Thus, if they didn’t like it, it would be all of Seokjin’s fault. Again, the room was uncharacteristically silent. No one said anything for a solid couple minutes. Jimin’s agitation became very apparent with the way his fingers picked at his shirt hem and his weight shifted from side to side. Eventually, it grew too much for him and pushed him to speak.

 

“S-so...what do you think?” Jimin asked. His voice cracked just a hair, but it was enough to make him wince. Again, the producers just stared at him, trying to find words to say. After another moment of opening and closing mouths, Supreme finally managed the mental capacity to think of a response.

 

“That was very dangerous Jimin-ah.” He said. Jimin’s heart sunk. They didn’t like it.

 

“Interrupting a line, not just in the middle, but just before the it’s...it’s...well it’s just not done. I mean, I feel so off-centered. I don’t know how to feel about it. Like it worked, I’ll give you that but, wow that was different.” Supreme continued. He was met with other nods from the producers behind him.

 

“Having listened to this song millions of times, you come to expect certain parts to be the same. With the other ones, one’s ears could be prepared for the change. Like Seokjin’s or Taehyung’s compositions. They came at parts I was more or less ready to hear differently. But yours...I was just thrown off so much. Not to say that it was bad or awkward, it just felt like for a second I wasn't listening to Shinhwa.” P-dogg added, readjusting the snapback on his head.

 

“Yeah. It’s not like we’re saying it was bad at all. In fact, I am extremely impressed that you handled that transition so well. And there were some lyrical and stylistic moves you made that honestly made the difference between the part being terrible or great. But I also just feel so disoriented by the change. Can we...can we hear that again? Did you record that?” PD-nim asked, pointing to the mixing table. Supreme nodded and pulled out a CD from the player.

 

“Yeah. I have them all on different tracks. You want to go ahead and confer?” Supreme asked. The others nodded.

 

“Alright kids, the big dogs are deciding. Please kindly take your butts to the lobby outside. We will call you back in when we are ready to announce the winners.” Supreme announced, signaling the movement of everyone to the couches in the hallway outside the studio. Jimin hung his head in disappointment. The reviews by the producers weren’t necessarily bad, but they weren't good like Seokjin’s or Jeongguk’s. Sighing, he pushed his fingers through his bangs and over the back of his head. As the team took their seats on the floor, Jimin spotted Seokjin with his head down. He quickly took a seat beside him, shaking his shoulder.

 

“Don’t hyung. Don’t look so upset. They loved your part. I know it.” Jimin assured. Seokjin lifted his head and sighed, his sideways glance at Jimin melancholy.

 

“It’s not myself I feel bad for but you Jimin-ah. I think my lyrics and my music just ruined your chance. We should have never switched.” Seokjin responded dejectedly. Jimin shook his head vehemently.

 

“Hyung, you know my lyrics fit better with your part. You can practically hear the difference. And they loved it, so why does it matter? The music was still my idea. I was the one that wanted to interrupt right there, so if my stylistic choice makes me lose, then so be it. That’s part of making music. You take chances. And besides, if you feel bad you can always make me cookies when we get back. ” Jimin offered a soft smile, and Seokjin felt himself soften. Smirking, he ruffled Jimin’s hair.

 

“You always know how to cheer me up, don’t you Jiminie?” Seokjin laughed as Jimin grinned in response. Their moment was cut short as a shadow blocked out the hallway lights above them. Seokjin looked up and felt his chest tighten. Namjoon was looming over him with a tense expression. It was like he was trying to look through him or something. Clearing his throat, he pointed to the spot on Seokjin’s other side.

 

“Is this seat taken?” He asked in his gruff voice. Seokjin huffed and rolled his eyes.

 

“Does it look taken?” He responded softly. Namjoon nodded and sat down beside him. Jimin took this as his cue to leave.

 

“I’m gonna talk to Hope-hyung. See ya Jin-hyung, Rapmon-hyung.” Jimin bowed curtly to both of them before standing and leaving. He could tell they had some things to discuss. As soon as Jimin was out of earshot, Namjoon opened his mouth to speak. Sensing this, Seokjin beat him to it.

 

“The only thing I expect out of your mouth are two words. So if you’ve come to chastise me more, I don’t want to hear it. I’ve had enough beratement for one day.” He snapped. Namjoon closed his mouth just so he could swallow the saliva building up, not because he was nervous or something.

 

“I didn’t come here to criticize you. I came to say 'good job'. That piece that you wrote...it was really nice Jinnie-hyung.” Namjoon poked out his signature dimple, the one that made Seokjin ooze every time. He hated when the younger did that. It was a treacherous little thing, stirring up Seokjin’s heartstrings and making Namjoon look like a harmless little puppy instead of a jerk and an .

 

“Don’t you flash that damn dimple at me. I won’t break like last time. You really hurt my feelings and embarrassed me in front of Jaehwan. We’re all entitled to our opinions, but your hate for him doesn’t give you the right to harass him or me. You were really mean to me Joonie.” Seokjin tiled his head back against the wall as the words left his lips. He felt his eyes mist but he held himself back. He wouldn’t cry, not now and not in front of him. He was shamed enough as it was. He felt a rough hand pat his shoulder, halting his inner monologue. Turning to the hand, and then the person it was attached to, he was calmed by the soft smile on the younger’s face. They stared at each other for a bit before their relaxed expressions stretched into amused smiles, and then soft laughter.

 

“I hope you know how much I hate you.” Seokjin said as his giggles slowed. Namjoon grinned again, his dimple out on display and deeper than before.

 

“Love you too hyung. And really, I am sorry about today. I took it too far and said some mean things. I was wrong and I should respect you more.” Namjoon said, holding his hand out to the elder. Seokjin looked at it before groaning and rolling his eyes.

 

“Yahhhhhhh. You are so annoying. Yes okay, apology accepted. But only if you admit I’m a better composer than you.” Seokjin smirked as he took his hand and shook. Namjoon scoffed, but his smile was still in place.

 

“Yah, Kim Seokjin-ah you are the greatest composer that ever lived.” He joked. Chuckling, Seokjin slapped him on the upper arm and turned back to the front. He rested his wrists on his knees and leaned his head back, closing his eyes as a sense of rightness settled over him. Namjoon couldn’t help staring at him, his hyung looked best like this. The angry lines and scowls looked ugly, marred his face instead of smoothed his features. Seokjin was too good-looking to be angry or sad. And he hated being the cause of it sometimes, but he didn’t know how else to act. He could be level-headed one moment, and irrational the next when it came to him. Seokjin could be as infuriating as he is adorable, or stubborn as he is earnest, or ignorant as he is selfless. He pushed every one of Namjoon’s buttons and he hated the pi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter