Chapter 22: The Hook

Trials of Life ~ A Bangtan Boys Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slight A/N real quick, this may not be an 'update' for the select few-at least i hope it was a few-that already read this chapter when I incorrectly updated last time so I'm sorry you don't get to enjoy anything new. I know, I'm such a mess guys!

“One of the necessary components for a song is the hook. Every musician knows that the hook is crucial to make any song catch on. That’s its purpose afterall. The lyrics should be simple, straight forward, and easily repeatable. What separates the best musicians from the average ones is knowing that the same thing exists in the music. You don’t need words to make something stick in a person’s mind. A beat or a melody can do just that. It’s something unique that stands on it’s own, but needs the support of others to bring it out.” Yoongi said as he closed a few windows on the computer to bring up some files he’d already created. He opened three and partially minimized them so each could be viewed at once. They were recordings, synthesized tracks looping the same four bars over and over again. Yoongi pointed to each as he spoke. Jimin nodded with understanding.

 

    “These are three different types of sounds. One is a drum rhythm, one is similar to bubble pops but a little more full, and one is a sorta...ah...how do I describe this...fuzzy?” Yoongi said thoughtfully. Jimin blinked.

 

    “What hyung?” Jimin almost laughed. ‘Fuzzy’ coming from his mouth just didn’t sound right. Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

    “You’ll see what I mean. Just picture a...heavily amplified base.” Yoongi played the first strip and watched Jimin’s reaction. Subconsciously, Jimin started nodding his head to the beat. Yoongi laughed at the cute reaction. Jimin blinked up at him with confusion.

 

    “What’s so funny Suga-nim?” Jimin’s head was still bobbing to the beat. It was really entertaining with his beanie and glasses. He almost looked out of place. Yoongi shook his head.

    

    “Nothing. What do you think?” Yoongi asked expectantly. Jimin knew he wasn't asking for a personal enjoyment opinion. He wanted a critical analyzation to show that their previous meetings had actually been productive. Jimin leaned back and thought, pushing out his lower lip.

 

    “It’s definitely got a driving feel. It’s really easy to feel the beat. It creates movement to. I think it’s because half of the rhythm isn’t actually on the beat. It’d go great with a little bit of cymbals and some guitar. Is it something you’d play for when you’re performing a rap?” Jimin asked. Yoongi nodded, satisfied with his answer.

    

“Good to know these sessions aren’t going completely to waste. Yes, the key is the off beats. Naturally you want to keep time, so subconsciously it forces you to bob your head. That’s why if you notice in a lot of hip hop, the drum beats always include a rhythm repeated throughout the song in different versions, but almost always is on the off beats. This is one of the basic components for any sound hook.” Yoongi said this as he paused the first strip, and started playing the second. This time he watched as Jimin’s face scrunched up. He was thrown off by the sound. It was hard to describe and he honestly wondered how Yoongi created it in the first place. Probably with the synthesizer. Jimin shook his head.

 

“So.” Yoongi said pausing it. Jimin clicked his tongue.

 

“Well...you definitely wouldn’t forget the sound that’s for sure. Usually something like that is paired with a stronger sound. I think it’s supposed to work as an accent but right now it just sounds strange. That is supposed to be a hook?” Jimin asked. Yoongi smirked.

 

“Exactly. It does seem like something you’d pair up with another sound. These type of sounds go great with claps, snaps, cymbals, or drum pops. This is something that catches your attention. Another very important factor for your hook.” Yoongi paused the strip and played the last one. Jimin noticed immediately what his hyung was talking about early.

 

“You weren’t kidding. It is kinda...fuzzy. Like when you’re standing in front of a big stereo and it’s blasting so hard you feel it in your chest... Except instead of feeling it, you’re hearing it. It sounds like something you’d put into the beginning of the song to get people locked in, then fade out. Like that one song you showed me.” Yoongi his teeth and cocked his head.

 

“I wouldn’t necessarily put in the beginning. But I would agree with the analogy. It’s a great sound to put in the middle. Almost like the toppings on a sandwich. But, let’s not stop there. What do you think I should do with all of these sounds?” Yoongi asked. He was purposefully leading Jimin to the answer he wanted. The other ones, he wanted Jimin to think for himself, come to his own conclusions. But this one, he’d give it to him. Jimin smiled.

 

“Well if your visual was any indication, I think we’re making a sandwich!” Yoongi chuckled as he placed all three strips onto one frame. Then, he turned to Jimin.

 

“A sandwich indeed Jimin-ah. A delicious sound sandwich.” Yoongi pressed play and watched the awe light up Jimin’s face. It was priceless, like a kid discovering free candy.

 

“That’s amazing hyung! How’d you know what to put together?” Yoongi paused the recording and leaned back into his chair with his hands clasped.

 

“Lot’s of practice and listening. One of the best ways to become a better musician is...wait for it...listening to music.” Yoongi shrugged his shoulders as if to say ‘crazy, right?’ and Jimin played along by dropping his jaw and looking stunned. After a while they broke into smiles and Jimin laughed.

 

“Seriously though. You can’t limit yourself to one genre, you have to expand. When you broaden your horizons, you expose yourself to bigger and better stuff. Take the sandwich example. If you only put lettuce on wheat with a little salami, how can you know how good all the other meats taste?”

 

“If you keep talking about food hyung, I’m going to get hungry again. I’ll be fat with that kind of talk.” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

“You could stand to gain some weight. You’re so scrawny.” Yoongi said it casually, but the response was taken strangely. Jimin’s eyes sagged and he looked uncomfortable. Yoongi narrowed his eyes. He was tempted to question the younger, but decided to let it go.

 

“Now you know the beginnings to making a good hook with your music, but just as-and if not more important-are the lyrics. You need both to make the song. Some prefer to come up with the music first, and then the words-like me-and others prefer to write the lyrics and then match it with some music-such as Rapmon. Then you have people like Hobie who just go either way, and then you have Seokjin who doesn’t really take to either.” Jimin frowned, looking over to the side dejectedly.

 

“I feel so bad for hyung. Being in a group with such great composers and not being on par with them must be hard.” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

“Jin-hyung doesn’t give himself enough credit. He’s not a bad composer. He writes lyrics and composes music just as well as the rest of us. It’s just that it’s on a scale weaker than Rapmon and I because he lacks musicality. He doesn’t play any instruments nor does he listen to as many different genres of music as us. Hobie can compensate for it because he’s a dancer, and musicality is necessary for that. He tries hard. He really does. I can’t tell you how many time he’s helped us out indirectly.” Jimin chuckled.

 

“Define indirectly” Jimin ordered. Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

“Okay, well for starters, most of the things Jin-hyung makes isn’t nearly up to par with what it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter