16----

The Thread Of A Literary Masterpiece

At 3 am in the morning, Jiyong's phone once again blasted and he almost fell out of his bed to prevent Sandara from being shaken in her sleep. He is not astonished that articles about Sandara and him came out of the news outlets. But he was astonished about different angles these monsters wanted to know. They went as far as investigating about his girlfriend's life. Instead of focusing on the relationship between him and Sandara, they dug new information about her private life.

 

He is already aware about other information stated in the newspapers. However, his heart pace quickened when he saw that Sandara is in fact the heir of Park corporation. How did he miss this important fact? And why is Sandara being stuck in a writer position when she can be heiress of a corporation that has been established since the 1800's?

 

Most importantly, how did he not know she was a family friend? How could he have missed out knowing her all these years?

 

A sharp throbbing pain entrapped his head. He saw flickering blurred memories when he closed his eyes. Is he perhaps forgetting something significant in his life?

 

All the 'facts' stated in the articles confused him. Sandara never mentioned being part of a prestigious family. She always described them as a hindrance to her happiness. He's not sure if he will ask Sandara about this. But what good will his suspicions bring him? He just have to ask at the right time. But what is the right time to ask this?

 

Parks are one of the closest friends of the Kwons. Both families run businesses that are currently successful. Arranged marriages are even planned between the two, until the present. When he can't take solving the puzzle anymore, he decided it was best to wait for Dara to wake up. For now, he will prepare breakfast.

 

He went out to get breakfast for the two of them. He was depressed, but he munched on the donuts he bought while walking home. His desperation to know the truth has his mind whirring in a whirlwind of stress. Looking back on the past few years of his life, there's not much of memories he can remember except when he started being a trainee of YG. His childhood memories only composed of playing the role of maknae in his family and being a trainee.

 

When he came back, Sandara was fresh out of the shower. Unlike him, he noticed that she was well rested. At least, he don't have to worry about her passing out from stress.

 

Love, I bought breakfast. Let's eat!” He forced himself to smile, to push away the melancholic thoughts that are flaring up in his heart and mind. Firmly, he planted in his mind that Sandara will never lie to him. There must be a good reason why she didn't tell him about her family. And even as his angelic girlfriend excitedly hugged him, his thoughts only went again to convincing himself that his girlfriend will not lie about not knowing him before.

 

He tried to remind himself. She did not lie to you! She loves you! She will not do that! You saw how genuine she was when she told you she's just your avid fan! You have to trust her!

 

But even as he desperately shouted those sentences in his mind, he can't find coherence on the things laid out to him. 

 

Thank you love!” Sandara kissed his cheeks. He felt his conscience knocked on him. As he looked at her again, he believed he needed to stand firm, with her. The one who wanted to have a chance was him and he needed to prove he deserved it. He deserves her love and in exchange he has to be strong right now. 

 

They quietly ate their breakfast. Sandara was feeling squeamish. She has a feeling that something bad is about to happen and the silence of Jiyong throughout their breakfast rendezvous only made her insides worse.

 

Ji, is there something wrong?” Ditching the word love for she thinks, she has the right to excuse herself from Jiyong's cold demeanor.

 

I have no ill intention as I ask you this. Know that I trust you completely.”

 

I will not be in this relationship if I don't know that. I trust you too. So please tell me what's going on your mind? You've been quiet this whole time and I'm getting worried. Did something bad happened?”

 

Are you familiar with Park corporation?” Ji softly asked.

 

Yes, aren't they one of the biggest corporations in Korea? They even invested in YG 2 years ago. But I don't know much about them,” she replied.

 

Sandara was lost in Jiyong's question. How can this be related to the sullen mood of Jiyong?

 

Where are your relatives now? Are you still keeping in touch with them?”

 

No. I never want to see them again. I'm selfish. I already told you about it.”

 

Do you know what business your family is invested in?”

 

Sandara paused, contemplating on Jiyong's question.

 

I never asked about it. My dad always feared for my safety. He wanted us to live a normal life. He would always say that it is better if we pursue things that we really want to do rather than what he would require us to do.”

 

Jiyong don't know how to continue. How can he tell her she's the rightful heiress of the Park corporation? His love for Sandara was beautiful, but it was also scary: he fears he won't be able to shadow everything even if he wanted to. This will shatter her completely. Her relatives had done wrong to her. How can they let her suffer with her brother when all along she could have lived a better life?

 

His gestures grew abrupt and unsteady. He sees no way out.

 

Sandara, you're the rightful owner of Park corporation.”

 

Huh?” Sandara laughed, noting how absurd Jiyong's statement was.

 

It's true. Instead of highlighting your relationship with me, the media somehow got a collection of news clips when you went missing 12 years ago. I don't know how they got that but even the current CEO of the company confirmed it is you.”

 

Sandara don't know how to react. How can she be the one to inherit Park corporation? Almost all of her life, she dedicated it to working all kinds of jobs until she graduated and finally got a decent job.

 

They could be wrong Ji.”

 

Jiyong softly replied, “It's you love. They managed to take hold of pictures even when you were staying in New York.”

 

Sandara felt her body shaking. This is not happening. It's not the truth. How could her relatives lie to her saying that she was the reason her father's company went bankrupt?

 

Immediately, Jiyong's hand supported Sandara. It was heartbreaking to see her like this but he needs to let her know the truth. He managed to make her sit on the sofa and he gave her water. When she finished drinking, he asked while pointing to his cellphone, “Do you know this man? Is he perhaps familiar to you?”

 

Dara shook her head. Jiyong then showed other pictures to Sandara. He's close with her family so it won't take a long time before Dara points out someone she knows. At the 15th picture, Sandara meekly reacted, screamed defiantly at the picture in front of her.

 

It couldn't be. Not his uncle who defended him, who made her believe that she is indeed a disgrace to the family. It was him who told her to go away, that it will be better that way. She was only too complacent with her uncle's wishes because at that time she was too fragile to even understand what's happening. She was fooled and even though she has the power to go against it, fear crept inside her heart.

 

Her uncle will know she's alive and back in Korea. She don't know what might happen to her and she fears that Sanghyun might be in danger.